The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How to live in with a roommate?

MRiabov

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
May 30, 2023
Sup,

Maybe someone has read my execution thread, one month ago I've moved back to my university, and consequently in my dormitory.

I usually usually not interacting with general public, because there is no reason to. As in "Distance yourself from the most people". It works. I wake up at 7:30, and work only with pauses for food until 21:35.

But I have 1 roommate now in my room, and I'll have coming one more coming soon. I can't live with mediocrity, damn it! The other guy, all he does is play new CS:GO, order food from deliveries and that's it.

I sometimes am trying to... Warn him. "dude, if you will eat so many fat food you'll have heart problems until 40 years old". Which isn't an insult even, but he becomes mad. He says "dude, who the F*ck are you to tell me about it?"

He tries actively to make my life worse now. I am trying to work on my projects, so he turns on "lectures" from a literal shiz who is on listed with the local psychoclinic list, and talks reincarnation and how his parents are fake.

The solution would be to just stop telling him those statements...

But it doesn't make sense! The best thing Aidan, Johnny or Andy can do is "dude, stop. You are doing bullshit. Why are you doing this manually?"

If anything I am on this forum for people to tell me areas for improvement. But this seems to avoid most people...

Is there a way to make peace with such people? Not that he is too bad, or he is completely broken - he is better than I am in social ways, actually. But again, unless there's a damn good reason to - like selling or testing my product - there is no point in talking to people without a vision for their life.

Do you even try to make peace with "normal" people?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Mikkel

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Feb 25, 2016
New Hampshire
You should probably try and make peace with "normal" people because those people are generally your future customers and employees. Also, if you are spending time trying to convince someone of something essential and they are reacting badly and making your life worse, then it would make sense that you stop.

It is not your job to change people who don't want to be helped(you should probably work on improving yourself first). Plus, you are making your living and working situation worse. Make amends with the person you are living with or move out. In the future, if you want to convince someone to change, be a bit more tactful. No one wants to be told that what they are doing will kill them. They are living in the moment, they don't want to worry about the future. Lead by example, and if he wants to change, he will come to you.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
631%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
Think about how much you hate being around him. How stupid he is. How wrong his thoughts are. How f*cked up his mindset is.. and just think about being forced to be around it every day. Think about your one, singular, rare chance to be alive and you’re going to spend it being around RETARDS.

It should raise your blood pressure and make you extremely pissed off and feeling desperate to escape.

Good, now put on some noise cancelling headphones, listen to some positive and informational audiobooks, tune out and go somewhere else and work on building your business to escape from these pieces of shit.

People have a hard time understanding how bad things are when it comes to the people around them.

What percentage of people are dumb npc sheep with no direction? Like 90%+

Okay, that’s easy to accept, but people have a hard time APPLYING that number to real life.

That means 90%+ of people AROUND YOU are exactly in that category.

There’s almost an absolute certain chance that you will need to replace MOST people around you if you want any of them to be decent.

Last edited:

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
Sup,

Maybe someone has read my execution thread, one month ago I've moved back to my university, and consequently in my dormitory.

I usually usually not interacting with general public, because there is no reason to. As in "Distance yourself from the most people". It works. I wake up at 7:30, and work only with pauses for food until 21:35.

But I have 1 roommate now in my room, and I'll have coming one more coming soon. I can't live with mediocrity, damn it! The other guy, all he does is play new CS:GO, order food from deliveries and that's it.

I sometimes am trying to... Warn him. "dude, if you will eat so many fat food you'll have heart problems until 40 years old". Which isn't an insult even, but he becomes mad. He says "dude, who the F*ck are you to tell me about it?"

He tries actively to make my life worse now. I am trying to work on my projects, so he turns on "lectures" from a literal shiz who is on listed with the local psychoclinic list, and talks reincarnation and how his parents are fake.

But it doesn't make sense! The best thing Aidan, Johnny or Andy can do is "dude, stop. You are doing bullshit. Why are you doing this manually?"

If anything I am on this forum for people to tell me areas for improvement. But this seems to avoid most people...

Is there a way to make peace with such people? Not that he is too bad, or he is completely broken - he is better than I am in social ways, actually. But again, unless there's a damn good reason to - like selling or testing my product - there is no point in talking to people without a vision for their life.

If you spend your valuable time worrying about him, you are squandering your resources. You have a lot to lose here.

Generally you mind your own business and do your thing. Only offer advice when asked.

If you don't make peace with you roommate, he can escalate the level of obnoxiousness.

I like @Johnny boy suggestion. "put on some noise cancelling headphones, listen to some positive and informational audiobooks, tune out and go somewhere else and work on building your business to escape"

Last edited:

StrikingViper69

Shredding scales and making sales
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
Dec 3, 2018
UK
The fastest way to piss people off is to lecture them on why their life decisions are wrong.

Think of it from this guy's perspective: You're in the same situation as him, lecturing him on why you're so much better.

IF you really want to change someones life, lead by example and let them ask the questions... or not. It's their life and their choice, not yours.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
Sup,

You need to broaden your perspectives.

It could be the way you are delivering the messages is threatening his ego. Generally it is considered slightly invasive to lecture your roommate on his own personal habits that does not affect you, unless you are close to him or do it in a diplomatic way.

You are not his mom or dad. If he does not want to get lectured it is his choice. It doesn’t mean you two cannot live in peace.

Living in peace under one roof means respecting one’s boundary.

You don’t get in his way and he doesn’t get in your way.

Just because someone is driven/motivated/and taking action doesn’t make him or her a good person or worth your attention. They are working hard for themselves not you. They could still be selfish bastards.

If I am hungry or broke one day, and the dude who lends me money to buy a meal is my man, he could be fat and eating pizza and playing computer games all day.

emavery176

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Sep 21, 2023
move in silence and focus on yourself.

Buy yourself bright colored (red, green blue etc.) noise cancelling wireless headphones and wear them when you don't feel like interacting with your roommate. Worked like a charm when I had roommates.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.