The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Using copywrited images for Facebook ads, is it allowed?

Marketing, social media, advertising

LiveEntrepreneur

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Aug 17, 2017
Australia
So I had a great idea for my Facebook ads, though it would require some of the Facebook ad image to have a picture of a cartoon character in a certain scene of the cartoon, would this be a problem for me legally you think? I can't seem to find any information on this. I don't want to be getting legal letters sent my way lol.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

UK_Mike

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
97%
Sep 10, 2020
North West UK
I am no expert, but I would expect that if you want to use a copyright image to sell your product / service, you're going to need to get permission from the copyright holder.

A local takeaway used to be called "Popeye's", and have a drawing of the cartoon character on and around the place. This was a little shop in a small town in northern England, obviously not anything to do with whoever owns the rights to the cartoon character, but it didn't take long before it changed to "Pop-fry's" and didn't have the same pictures up.

Rabby

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Aug 26, 2018
Florida
Find the agency or office that manages IP licensing for the cartoon character, and then you may be able to use it. Some might have standard rates, others might be very protective of how the IP is used. When you get images from Shutterstock or other services, you're doing the same thing, just in a more streamlined way.

LiveEntrepreneur

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Aug 17, 2017
Australia
Find the agency or office that manages IP licensing for the cartoon character, and then you may be able to use it. Some might have standard rates, others might be very protective of how the IP is used. When you get images from Shutterstock or other services, you're doing the same thing, just in a more streamlined way.
I've contacted one, though I imagine it might take some time to get a reply. Better wait I guess than a lawsuit haha

LiveEntrepreneur

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Aug 17, 2017
Australia
@UK_Mike is right, using any of copyrighted images - except for "quoting" laws for journalism - is illegal.
Ah ok so for example if i was to watch an episode of bugs bunny, pause it at a certain section and take a screenshot of that frame and use it for ads that would be illegal yea?

UK_Mike

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
97%
Sep 10, 2020
North West UK
Ah ok so for example if i was to watch an episode of bugs bunny, pause it at a certain section and take a screenshot of that frame and use it for ads that would be illegal yea?
I'd think so. You're using someone else's image (the original hand-drawn cartoon image) which will be copyright, and you'll be implying that Bugs is agreeing to advertise your product, which is probably a no-no as well.

Kid

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Mar 1, 2016
That's according to law.
Also what Mike wrote: it might be seen that ad claims that Warner Bros (bugs bunny rights owner) is endorsing your product which is in violation of Section 43 of Lanham Act.

The long way would be to try license this picture.
Who knows, maybe they'll license it.

I'd think so. You're using someone else's image (the original hand-drawn cartoon image) which will be copyright, and you'll be implying that Bugs is agreeing to advertise your product, which is probably a no-no as well.

Kung Fu Steve

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Jul 8, 2008
Road Warrior
Canva allows you to pay their subscription and use all copyright images for personal or professional use.

Why are you worrying so much? Pay the money and run the ads. If those ads are profitable... who cares what it costs to run them?

Onakosa

"When I grow up I want to be ... "
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
109%
Oct 23, 2020
UK
So I had a great idea for my Facebook ads, though it would require some of the Facebook ad image to have a picture of a cartoon character in a certain scene of the cartoon, would this be a problem for me legally you think? I can't seem to find any information on this. I don't want to be getting legal letters sent my way lol.
Facebook ask you to confirm that you have copyright clearance on any pics you use. If you say yes then, strictly speaking, you’re not telling the truth. I’d be concerned about having my FB ad account suspended (but I’m a marketer so that’s a big deal for me!)

Jon L

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Aug 22, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I usually agree with 'you're small, no ones cares.' But ... in this case, various copyright holders have automated tools that help them out. They can scan for their images automatically, and then send people that don't have a license a bill for $1500 (or whatever they deem appropriate) Don't pay it, and you'll get sued and owe a lot more than that.

Don't do it.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.