The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Useful Tools - Programmers and Web Developers

MetalGear

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
258%
Jan 24, 2017
Narnia
  • What tools do you find useful as a programmer and web developer?
  • Am I missing something that might be useful?
  • Maybe impostor syndrome is just kicking in...
  • I started to program and am on my way to creating a web based digital product
  • After some trial an error, I realized that there might be some best practices to follow
  • I asked my friend what I absolutely need as a programmer and he gave me the list below:
    • Software:
      • Notepad++
      • GitHub
      • StackOverflow forum account
    • Hardware:
      • Dual monitors
      • Headphones
      • Caffeine

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

scottmsul

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
302%
Apr 29, 2017
Boulder, CO
I program both professionally for my day job and for my fastlane idea, I don't really use any of those lol. I edit with vim, I use bitbucket for my git repos because it's both free and private, I haven't posted on stackoverflow in months or years (although I do go there a lot to read other answers). I only have my laptop screen, I have earbuds (if I listen to music at all), and I only drink caffeine when I work out of coffee shops.

What do you absolutely need as a programmer and web developer?

You need to get good at the skill itself. The tools don't matter. Create as much stuff as you can to get better.

daru

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
172%
Feb 11, 2017
Earth
You need to be stubborn, have a lot of time and then not giving up. I actually use a lot of pen and paper to understand algorithms, concepts and drafting code architecture. Then a texteditor. I use Vim since I spend a lot of time writing and editing text.

You may also need a dog. There are two reasons for the dog.

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
  1. A computer (Petr Mitrichev wrote his first code without a computer, so that could be debatable)
  2. Notepad, or a similar application
  3. The installed language you're working with
Everything else you listed is preferable (except dual monitors), but not required. Caffeine and headphones are fantastic though.

Komodo and Visual Studio are my IDE's of choice :)

eliquid

( Jason Brown )
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
519%
May 29, 2013
I've been programming since 1999 and I had none of those for the majority of time.

Recently I started using Notepad ++

The other stuff, I don't/haven't ever had for programming.

Digamma

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Nov 13, 2014
This is just procrastinating, man.

You need something to write code in and then you need to, well, write the code.

Other things might be nice, but they are not necessary, and you certainly don't need to get them before you start.

Andrew MD

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
300%
Jul 31, 2017
Leeds
That might be what he/she deems essentials but that doesn't mean it's yours, and if your new to it then those things are not important.
Ive been programming for years and never used multiple screens. Stick with a laptop and an editor (I'd suggest vim) and you'll be fine.

MetalGear

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
258%
Jan 24, 2017
Narnia
  • Appreciate the feedback
  • Maybe essentials is poor phrasing. Changed to "useful tools."
  • I am asking what is in everyone's "kit" so I can save myself some potential hassle.
  • If you read my post...you would see that I already started...
  • Taking 5 minutes to sharpen my axe by asking in the forum seems like a no brainer.
  • (I never knew about F12 on Chrome and I am so happy right now...) :innocent: :halo:

Last edited:

Andrew MD

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
300%
Jul 31, 2017
Leeds
Tools I use:

• macbook (but any linux based os would be good)
  • vim text editor (I use macvim) it has a steep learning curve but it's worth it. My vimrc file (which is used to config stuff) is here
  • vs code text editor (here) if you dont want to invest time with vim then this is great
  • Chrome with react and redux extensions for frontend stuff
  • Nodejs with express or elixir with phoenix for backend systems
  • Affinity designer for any graphic stuff
  • SAFARI BOOKS!!! allows you to read technical books on pretty much everything. the best place to learn new tech imho
  • Stack overflow for help/questions, N.b. my profile is here, always happy to help with any tech questions

letter9

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Oct 31, 2015
  • I started to program and am on my way to creating a web based digital product
  • After some trial an error, I realized that there might be some best practices to follow
  • I asked my friend what I absolutely need as a programmer and he gave me the list below:
    • Software:
      • Notepad++
      • GitHub
      • StackOverflow forum account
    • Hardware:
      • Dual monitors
      • Headphones
      • Caffeine
Web programming is to broad to provide best workflow advice.

Firstly you should understand what you will be doing - frontend or backend, or both? Than what language will you use?
Depending on that one could recommend you what tools can make your life easier.

Without knowing more,
I would advice to check git/ sourcetree - will save you lots of time in future.
Docker - great tool to immitiate production environment as close as possible.
Github and stackexchange - to utilize solutions that already created by other people.

jsk29

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
314%
Jul 30, 2014
US
Invest in a nice chair (eg. Herman Miller) or a standing desk to save yourself years of lower back pain.

I also recommend a pair of blue light blocking computer glasses if you work on coding projects at night and don't want to screw up your circadian rhythm.

Jamshed33

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Jul 26, 2017
Dhaka, Bangladesh

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
I love how you use all bullet points!

I would say the best resource is learning how to sell. No matter what you build or how it works you will need to sell people on that idea - either directly or indirectly. You are building something that will mean change so you have to get good at persuading and leading people.
Along with coding I would be learning this from day one.

After that I would also suggest writing which closely links to selling. These aren't coding related but once you get to a certain level with code you will wish you started the two of these a lot earlier. This is coming from the perspective of Fastlane. Of course for a regular coder it wouldn't matter but I am sure you want to be more than a cog in a machine.

Last edited:

MetalGear

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
258%
Jan 24, 2017
Narnia
I forgot to mention that Trello and Asana are also great tools.

jon.M

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
Jul 4, 2016
Sweden
I also recommend a pair of blue light blocking computer glasses if you work on coding projects at night and don't want to screw up your circadian rhythm.
Have you tried a program named F.lux? Pretty conventient, it reduces the screen's blue light at night. Maybe computer glassess are better, I don't know.

Argue

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
385%
Oct 1, 2016
NYC
All answers are fantastic. I agree with @Fox that learning sales and writing is imperative.

Lack of effective copy/writing, and the standard to sell will be deterrent to your business.

-Brian-

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 19, 2017
Florida
Not really a programmer, more of a SysAdmin that has done a lot of utility programs.

I find these things useful
  • Macbook Pro (way more productive than I was using Windows and Linux as my desktop) - homebrew is awesome
  • github (public repos are free, and for starring other developer projects)
  • bitbucket for my own private repos (free)
  • PyCharm (or any of the jetbrains.com IDE's), yes I know VI, etc, but I've grown to love it. "best IDE" is a religious war, just avoid it and use what works for you
  • Evernote (yes I pay for it, its cheap and I can work offline with ideas while on an airplane)
  • KeePassXC for keeping track of passwords
  • Dropbox/GoogleDrive (or any other cloud based file repo) for keeping above keypass db safe
  • DevOps stack [ vagrant, packer, terraform ] for building local test instances and remote cloud instances (amazon aws)
  • Deadmau5 music :)

daru

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
172%
Feb 11, 2017
Earth
Not really a programmer, more of a SysAdmin that has done a lot of utility programs.

I find these things useful
  • Macbook Pro (way more productive than I was using Windows and Linux as my desktop) - homebrew is awesome
  • github (public repos are free, and for starring other developer projects)
  • bitbucket for my own private repos (free)
  • PyCharm (or any of the jetbrains.com IDE's), yes I know VI, etc, but I've grown to love it. "best IDE" is a religious war, just avoid it and use what works for you
  • Evernote (yes I pay for it, its cheap and I can work offline with ideas while on an airplane)
  • KeePassXC for keeping track of passwords
  • Dropbox/GoogleDrive (or any other cloud based file repo) for keeping above keypass db safe
  • DevOps stack [ vagrant, packer, terraform ] for building local test instances and remote cloud instances (amazon aws)
  • Deadmau5 music :)
How does this work? Is it really safe on those services? I don't understand.
Spideroak better choice?

waveman

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Jul 3, 2017
South Africa
Any IDE that allows you to split your screen (Brackets).

The ability to name, categorize and version your stuff well.

Pen and paper is still good for working out your app flow, logic flow, and objects/classes you want to use. No need for fancy UML diagrams or typing out all that.

Notepad for storing older or unworking bits of code you may want to keep or come back to.

I don't have a second monitor or a github account. Usually I'll just grab the raw file I need, paste it into a working folder, back it up, then start copying from it.

PatrickWho

Coffee-fueled Programmer
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
144%
Aug 4, 2017
Canada
Tools

- I use VS Code.
- Git, Node / NPM
- I highly recommend a blog to help you document your learning. It's great to share, and will help you solidify your learning.
- With the blog you can post code to Github, though I have taken a liking to CodePen lately.

Other Things:

My weapons of choice are JavaScript and Laravel PHP, so I highly recommend the following learning resources:

- Front End Masters (Kyle Simpson's courses are particularly awesome for learning the deeper things of JavaScript)
- Laracasts for Laravel
- I love Node.js and learned quite a bit from Plural Sight courses
- I've heard good things about Wes Bos' JavaScript 30 course.
- The Pragmatic Programmer - Andrew Hunt / David Thomas
- Fun Fun Function on YouTube

Imposter Syndrome

Just embrace the confusion. Programming is a never-ending journey.

Just focus on building tons of stuff, striving for clean, readable code. Expertise is built in increments, so just keep challenging yourself.

You'll know many things others won't, as they will know many things you don't.

If you can plug into a community of individuals that enjoy knowledge sharing that could help. Just make sure you're not trying to learn too many different things. You'll won't even become a jack of all trades that way. You'll just become vaguely familiar with a bunch of programming buzzwords.

-Brian-

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 19, 2017
Florida
How does this work? Is it really safe on those services? I don't understand.
Spideroak better choice?

The strength of the keypass db is not in the cloud drive provider, but the passphrase used to encrypt the keypass db. If you are more paranoid, use KeePassXC (KeePassXC Password Manager) in combination with a Yubikey (YubiKey 4 Security Keys for Two Factor Authentication | Yubico Store), have to use a passphrase and use the yubikey to unlock the db. If someone steals your keypass db and uses malware to steal your passphrase on your computer, they cannot steal the private key inside of the yubikey (secure hardware that never exposes the private key).

Never used SpiderOak, but not sure how they can claim to be anymore secure than any other 3rd party service provider.

Storing KeePass database in cloud. How safe?

At the time of the URL above, don't think Yubikey's were around as another layer.

mws87

talk less, listen more.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
May 5, 2015
California
Have you tried a program named F.lux? Pretty conventient, it reduces the screen's blue light at night. Maybe computer glassess are better, I don't know.
+1 for Flux. I'm used to coding until my eyes drop. I would wake up groggy with sandpaper eyes every morning. Started using Flux and that went away very quickly.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.