The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

(update) social security issues

Martinisawe

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Dec 1, 2020
California
Hey guys so last Friday, i had an interview by 2 people who helps out people with social security. Anyways, i had alot of questions to ask to understand how social security works. Anyways, I am in debt by $30,000 because apparently "my mom worked too much". Like it doesn't make any sense, but here i am. Though my mom wanted me to hush and let her talk on the interview, which doesn't make any sense, though i guess because of how i was growing up.

(Rant) Another thing she wants me to do is to be in a vocational program, though i waited 5 years to be in it, or another word i couldn't get a job because of it, they wanted to have SSI while i work in a mediocre job. Though before covid hit, i was going to go in that program which i never got in, so then covid hit and yeah another long postponed. Anyways, i never really understood SSI(Social Security Income) because i never ask questions and if i did ask questions they're afraid that I'll lose it. So the last few years not understanding it, I genuinely thought I'll lose my Social Security, which sounds pretty stupid.

Anyways going back to the 1st paragraph, i live in California (specifically So-Cal), i want to get rid of this debt and get a normal job. The problem is that my mom wants me to be in this program though i want to do another path. (While waiting for the program i kinda decided to walk around the area asking questions to managers on tips on getting hired, went to Facebook to help overcome the fear and watch videos multiple time to overcome it. Printing out resumés and even got an interview.) Though what's a good tip, to get out of this issue?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

hellolin

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
May 27, 2015
Get the heck out of SoCal. I just break the mid low six figure mark and I can't wait to get out of here, it's hell for working people. Let the rich retired liberal boomers figure out how to run their utopia project without cheap immigrate labor and let's see how that pans out. There are plenty of jobs that pays living wage in the many nearby red states and cost of living is much cheaper.

Martinisawe

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Dec 1, 2020
California
Get the heck out of SoCal. I just break the mid low six figure mark and I can't wait to get out of here, it's hell for working people. Let the rich retired liberal boomers figure out how to run their utopia project without cheap immigrate labor and let's see how that pans out. There are plenty of jobs that pays living wage in the many nearby red states and cost of living is much cheaper.
Believe you me i want to do that. That's been my whole goal since lockdown, just that I need to fix my issues of my debt.

hellolin

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
May 27, 2015
Believe you me i want to do that. That's been my whole goal since lockdown, just that I need to fix my issues of my debt.
Try to see if companies like freedomdebtrelief.com can help you with that, they can set up a program of savings to wipe out part of your debt, and help you build a habit of saving a little bit each month over a couple of years. The thing is, you don't have to wait to move out while you are doing that.

Martinisawe

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Dec 1, 2020
California
Try to see if companies like freedomdebtrelief.com can help you with that, they can set up a program of savings to wipe out part of your debt, and help you build a habit of saving a little bit each month over a couple of years. The thing is, you don't have to wait to move out while you are doing that.
This is going to sound stupid, but any recommendations on how to move out

E-Sharp

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
245%
Jun 9, 2015
Hey guys so last Friday, i had an interview by 2 people who helps out people with social security. Anyways, i had alot of questions to ask to understand how social security works. Anyways, I am in debt by $30,000 because apparently "my mom worked too much". Like it doesn't make any sense, but here i am. Though my mom wanted me to hush and let her talk on the interview, which doesn't make any sense, though i guess because of how i was growing up.

(Rant) Another thing she wants me to do is to be in a vocational program, though i waited 5 years to be in it, or another word i couldn't get a job because of it, they wanted to have SSI while i work in a mediocre job. Though before covid hit, i was going to go in that program which i never got in, so then covid hit and yeah another long postponed. Anyways, i never really understood SSI(Social Security Income) because i never ask questions and if i did ask questions they're afraid that I'll lose it. So the last few years not understanding it, I genuinely thought I'll lose my Social Security, which sounds pretty stupid.

Anyways going back to the 1st paragraph, i live in California (specifically So-Cal), i want to get rid of this debt and get a normal job. The problem is that my mom wants me to be in this program though i want to do another path. (While waiting for the program i kinda decided to walk around the area asking questions to managers on tips on getting hired, went to Facebook to help overcome the fear and watch videos multiple time to overcome it. Printing out resumés and even got an interview.) Though what's a good tip, to get out of this issue?

It appears that you or your parents either didn't understand the SSI rules about income limits, or deliberately didn't ask questions so you could keep collecting benefits you weren't entitled to.

The way you "get out of this issue" with regards to the pressure from your mom is to be assertive and set some boundaries. I'm guessing you still live with your mom or are dependent on her, if you're asking that question.
There are plenty of online resources to help someone who is having trouble standing up to a pushy parent.

Honestly I'm not sure why you're against the vocational program if all you've done is work mediocre jobs. Sounds like you lack skills and would benefit from vocational training. It doesn't have to be forever, just pay off the debt and put yourself in a better position. Then do what you want.

Martinisawe

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Dec 1, 2020
California
It appears that you or your parents either didn't understand the SSI rules about income limits, or deliberately didn't ask questions so you could keep collecting benefits you weren't entitled to.

The way you "get out of this issue" with regards to the pressure from your mom is to be assertive and set some boundaries. I'm guessing you still live with your mom or are dependent on her, if you're asking that question.
There are plenty of online resources to help someone who is having trouble standing up to a pushy parent.

Honestly I'm not sure why you're against the vocational program if all you've done is work mediocre jobs. Sounds like you lack skills and would benefit from vocational training. It doesn't have to be forever, just pay off the debt and put yourself in a better position. Then do what you want.
From the mediocre job, ig because i waited for years to get in especially the covid situation and i was becoming less patient, also i did got my ego in the way. And yes you're right I am living with my mom being dependent.

ryanbleau

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Jun 22, 2014
Scottsdale , Az
Couple legal questions, I do have to point out i am not a lawyer but I do have an understanding of a few particulars.
Does your mother have conservatorship or power of attorney over you? How long have they been collecting SSI to support you? There may be a few legal loopholes to get you out of this debt and have your mother carry it if some of these factors are at play. You will need a lawyer, and a good doctor but if there is anything fraudulent about the collection of SSI the debt will end up on the person who filed for it and collected it.

Martinisawe

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Dec 1, 2020
California
Couple legal questions, I do have to point out i am not a lawyer but I do have an understanding of a few particulars.
Does your mother have conservatorship or power of attorney over you? How long have they been collecting SSI to support you? There may be a few legal loopholes to get you out of this debt and have your mother carry it if some of these factors are at play. You will need a lawyer, and a good doctor but if there is anything fraudulent about the collection of SSI the debt will end up on the person who filed for it and collected it.
No i understand, but well, from what I heard from my mom, she does is working to get a lawyer. And I've been collecting SSI since i was 18, but stop collecting it when Covid hits. Which was 2 years after. About fraudulent, we didn't know too much about Social Security, but i don't think i broke any laws, but I'll see about this when i talk to the lawyer my mom is going to bring.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.