• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Trading Life for a Weekend?
    Build a Business, Build a Life.
    Unleash the Dream.

Become an UNSCRIPTED™Entrepreneur.

UNSCRIPTED™ Entrepreneurship is an entrepreneurial business strategy that unleashes dreams, frees time, and explodes your incomes—but more importantly, it changes your life forever. Make no mistake; this isn’t something you “try”— this is something you live.

FREE Download (Unscripted) FREE Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

FORUM SEARCH

Need answers about entrepreneurship? Search FIRST! More than likely your entrepreneurial topic has already been discussed.
Powered by Google Site Search.

Introduction Unscripted life > Subsistence farming or going off the grid

Discussion in 'Forum Introductions (Who are you!?)' started by Patelli, Aug 12, 2017.

1. Patelli

Patelli New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $27
    Hey! Just going to jump straight in there sooooo...

I've pretty much wanted out of a life that is dictated to me by societal norms since I was around 19 (being an Indian girl tends to push you one of two ways) and have considered several options including:

1. Going totally off the grid and somehow finding the means to pop-up somewhere else in the world and creating a fabricated life to see how far that fabrication would take me

2. Becoming a subsistence farmer in the middle of nowhere, on a piece of land where the actual landowner never visits the land and therefore doesn't realise I am there and eventually gaining some sort of squatters rights

BUT both of those are not really sustainable...

Since finishing the distraction and waste of time that university was (August 2014), I have moved cities twice, qualified as a science teacher, quit my teaching job, used any money I saved to travel across Canada by myself on a train for a month, came back to scrape by in supply teaching whilst working on entrepreneurial ventures, worked for a medical journal for a year, quit and became a supply teacher again (whilst testing business stuff out) and now I work in medical communications.... Though I really would like to just quit right now, I realise I do actually need at least a little money coming in if I'm going to be able to fund testing out these ventures.

I've been dabbling in mini ventures and learning some lessons since 2015 and have recently come across TMF and Unscripted. Reading the books pushed my thoughts that one step further. I am now more determined than ever (though less empathetic toward the woes of many of my peers). Really excited to be here to see how people's stories unfold, and to hopefully share my own story as it develops!

Nily and Almantas like this.
  2. baljitlewis

baljitlewis New Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $27
    Welcome. I'm also Indian and just getting started...

Patelli likes this.
  3. c4n

c4n Full throttle Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $723
    How do any of the options you mention create value for others?

4. Millenial_Kid5K1

Millenial_Kid5K1 Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,947
    I've thought about going off the grid a lot. The only thing that stopped me is that, in the words of MJ, you're violating the principle of control. What happens when your land gets developed because you don't really own it? Spoiler: you've got another Unabomber situation.

I concluded that the only way to do it would be to actually own the land, which isn't unfeasible for subsistence farming, since you wouldn't take up much space. Unfortunately I've always been fixated on being a hunter gatherer, so I'd need ~10 square miles of forest per person, which gets expensive fast if I wanted to include anyone else. The only way I can see to gather enough capital to start a small tribe is by merging onto the fastlane.

That said, I'm more interested these days in freedom from work and being able to tinker and study physics, so my dreams of living off the grid have gone a little by the wayside these days.

DistantPattern, Patelli and Nily like this.
  5. MJ DeMarco

MJ DeMarco Raving Lunatic Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $238,754
    Admin Post
    You mean you want advice on how to steal someone else's property?

6. jon.a

jon.a Legendary Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $67,064
    I was wondering the same thing. But got distracted by something shinny and forgot to ask.

7. Raoul Duke

Raoul Duke The Horrendous Space Kablooie Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $26,668
    Has a "Introduction" thread made its way to the Landfill section yet?

8. Patelli

Patelli New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $27
    Woah. Was not expecting that to blow up!

Ok so no I don't want actual advice for stealing someone else's property.. those two initial silly ideas were just some far flung idea of escapism from the 9-5 life. I obviously understand that this would mean running away from the problem altogether instead of combatting it.

I am on here because I'm in the process of testing the feasibility of an idea I already have whilst also developing an initial prototype (around 40% complete) I'm currently doing this whilst doing a day job and I figured the advice and hearing stories from other people probably going through the same thing would be a good idea..?

9. Patelli

Patelli New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $27
    I suprised that someone with badges like "fastlaner insider" and "speedway pass" has time to read part the way through, keep going and then comment on a garbage post on the introduction section. Is this what happens when you make it and then are at a loss as to what to do next?

10. MidwestLandlord

MidwestLandlord Legendary Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $19,394
    So...ask how to steal land and then get defensive?

When you find yourself in a hole, stop digging!

11. Patelli

Patelli New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $27
    Oh wow..
    Wow! Situation really considered there!

I agree... the fastlane is the way. I think the reason these ideas can look so appealing is because it almost feels like you can gain your freedom back (any grass seems so much greener than stuck working for someone else).

12. Raoul Duke

Raoul Duke The Horrendous Space Kablooie Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $26,668
    Says the person who quits everything they endeavor. Who also wants to steal another persons property.

ignored.jpg

Patelli likes this.
  13. Patelli

Patelli New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $27
    Well... none of the options above create value. Maybe I wrote the above completely wrong.

I am working on a product at the moment, which is a solution for others. It is in the early stages. As for creating value for readers of this forum, Im pretty sure that I am quite a novice compared to a lot of people on here... When I learn something applicable, I will of course share, however, right now I believe I have a heck of a lot to learn myself

14. Patelli

Patelli New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $27
    Please read my most recent replies for a greater understanding of where I am coming from. If not, thanks for your contribution and have a nice day ✌

15. Patelli

Patelli New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $27
    Please read my most recent replies for a greater understanding of where I am coming from. If not, thanks for your contribution and have a nice day ✌

16. MJ DeMarco

MJ DeMarco Raving Lunatic Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $238,754
    Admin Post
    Re-Read the two books this forum is based upon. They will help you if you are truly interested in creating solutions, living off the grid, and doing so by not co-opting someone else's property.

That statement you made in your intro is going to really set off a lot of folks here. Can you agree that trying to legalize theft through a loophole is not an honorable approach in business or life? Be the change you want to see.

17. MidwestLandlord

MidwestLandlord Legendary Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $19,394
    cry.gif

Greg Rutkowski likes this.
  18. Patelli

Patelli New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $27
    Yeah.. that's a fair point

19. jon.a

jon.a Legendary Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $67,064
    What brought you here?

20. Patelli

Patelli New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $27
    To be part of a community of people who want freedom of their time, gained through working on their own projects so that they come to fruition.

Surround yourself by the people you want to be, it helps with mindset when everyone around you in real life has resigned to the sidewalk, and helps you to keep you going when it gets tough.

Im working towards freedom of my own time via actually being helpful to other people, which is a slow road but I'd rather be doing it this way than helping no one and working towards nothing in my day job.

MidwestLandlord and MJ DeMarco like this.
  21. G-Man

G-Man Legendary Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $4,009
    OP - if you need a sense of escape from the daily grind, I recommend learning a new skill, or volunteer opportunity.

Thinking you're going to "live off the land" because a teaching job is too much of a grind.... I do not recommend this. If living off the land were so great, our ancestors wouldn't have worked so hard to create modern civilization.

Patelli likes this.
  22. MJ DeMarco

Rep Bank:
    $238,754
    Admin Post
    Then you are at the right place. Welcome.

Patelli likes this.
  23. Patelli

Patelli New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $27
    I agree... just a bit of extreme escapism from feeling owned by educational institutions and corporations I guess. My escape right now is business stuff, I do it all the time in my spare time and my lunch breaks - its good to have something to focus on which helps you feel like you are slowly making your escape instead of it being an elusive thought.