The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Udemy Pricing - Free, $19.99, or $199?

Anything considered a "hustle" and not necessarily a CENTS-based Fastlane

What Price Should I Go With?

• Free

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • £19.99

Votes: 6 85.7%
  • £199.99

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Other (please comment)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Yeah but no the business one.

I've read that if you don't get involved with the Promotional Program they really punish you in the rankings.

If you're in the promotional program then it doesn't matter what you price your course at because Udemy will sell it at $9 to $14 multiple times per month. Price your course at the highest price possible so when it goes on sale people will jump at the chance to purchase it.

If you price your course for free you will end up with a bunch of freeloader students who will never pay you a dime and who will leave negative reviews until they drive your course into the dirt, never to be seen or heard from again.

Unless you have a huge audience already, publishing one course on Udemy will generate next to nothing. If you're in a niche topic with high demand, then you might generate $50 to $150/mo after a few months. To generate a worthwhile amount from scratch you need multiple courses.

You need roughly $100 in sales within the first day or two plus a couple of good reviews for your course not to disappear into oblivion.

If your course is 9 hours, I would consider if you can find a breaking point to split this into three 3-hour courses.

The secret to building up a worthwhile income from scratch on Udemy beyond that is to publish new courses regularly and promote those to your past students who are the most likely to buy again.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
I do worry at pricing at the Top Tier when the highest rated ones are only £149.99, I think that would look greedy or at least a little unrealistic. Thats why I was thinking of starting cheap to get it going and then raising the price gradually as it starts to rank. Does pricing have any impact on ranking?

Nobody on Udemy cares about the listed price. Udemy students know they will get your course at $9 to $14 in a few days. Udemy runs multiple promotions every month. I've only had 1 student ever, across more than 14,000 enrollments, who paid full price for one of my 15+ courses and that student refunded and probably re-purchased when the price dropped to almost nothing.

DMass

Breaking Chains One Day At A Time...
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
239%
Sep 11, 2021
If you're in the promotional program then it doesn't matter what you price your course at because Udemy will sell it at $9 to $14 multiple times per month. Price your course at the highest price possible so when it goes on sale people will jump at the chance to purchase it.

If you price your course for free you will end up with a bunch of freeloader students who will never pay you a dime and who will leave negative reviews until they drive your course into the dirt, never to be seen or heard from again.

Unless you have a huge audience already, publishing one course on Udemy will generate next to nothing. If you're in a niche topic with high demand, then you might generate $50 to $150/mo after a few months. To generate a worthwhile amount from scratch you need multiple courses.

You need roughly $100 in sales within the first day or two plus a couple of good reviews for your course not to disappear into oblivion.

If your course is 9 hours, I would consider if you can find a breaking point to split this into three 3-hour courses.

The secret to building up a worthwhile income from scratch on Udemy beyond that is to publish new courses regularly and promote those to your past students who are the most likely to buy again.

Thanks Lex.

I do worry at pricing at the Top Tier when the highest rated ones are only £149.99, I think that would look greedy or at least a little unrealistic. Thats why I was thinking of starting cheap to get it going and then raising the price gradually as it starts to rank. Does pricing have any impact on ranking?

I don't expect this course to generate much at all, it's more of a hook, almost like a loss leader works in retail. I'm building another course that will be much shorter and produced far quicker that I will promote via the original course. I'm thinking Land and Expand, get people buying the first course, drive them to my own form of community (Facebook Group, Forum etc), and then get them buying more of my courses.

If I priced the course at £29.99 and then generated a few coupons to get it for £9.99 Im sure I could drive a few Sales through that, hopefully to $100 over the first day or two but you never know.

I looked at breaking the course up but as I'm teaching pretty much the same thing as the other courses it wouldn't look good in mu opinion, I'd be trying to get customer to buy 3 courses that they could get as one through the other course.

I definitely don't have a huge audience but I do believe that I am in a pretty niche market and that demand is going to increase.

DMass

Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
239%
Sep 11, 2021
Hey Everyone,

I've been looking through the forum for the last couple of hours trying to get a feel for what people believe the best pricing strategy to be for selling on Udemy, before I dive into my thoughts I just want to preface this with a couple of assumptions/long term goals.

1. I understand that Udemy isn't going to make me rich - it violates too many elements of the CENTS framework
  2. The industry/topic that I am playing is is highly profitable (according to Udemy) with the top monthly revenue being $2886
  3. I will eventually transition to selling via my own platform but I see Udemy as a way to quickly build social proof and reviews
  4. The aim is to make a little money to help improve my recording equipment
With that out of the way here is my question;

What should I be pricing my course at?

Here are the important factors to consider;
  1. The Top 3 Courses sell for £149.99 (32 hours), £149.99 (21 hours), and £59.99 (this is more Dev focuses rather than what I am planning to teach)
  2. The Top Course have 92k Students and 24k reviews, the second one has 52k Students and 11k reviews.
  3. Ive been through both of these courses and they are very long winded, e.g. the one at 32 hours is basically the same course being taught twice in different UIs (One is a older course that he rolled into the new one)
  4. The course I have designed and filmed is 9 hours long and is straight to the point with no fluff - the other guys seem to ramble on and on when not needed
  5. I will be improving the course as it starts to bring in money
  6. I have a decent LinkedIn Profile Presence and have over 600 emails to market to, I'm building this every day through LinkedIn Posts and YouTube videos

With that in mind I'm stuck between what to sell the course for to get it off the ground;

• Free - Do I give away the course for free to people using the free Coupon to get as many students as quickly as. I feel while this would be a great way to get the student numbers up it massively devalues what I've done and seems like a waste of the small audience that I do have.
  • £19.99 - Do I price it at the lowest possible amount? Everyone knows that Udemy sells by discounting courses but even when those £1449.99 courses are discounted I will still be the cheapest. This should help draw as many students as possible while making a little money from it so I can improved and launch additional courses. Im also thinking that those people who are looking for courses will not even think about dropping £19.99 on a course. I can then offer the email audience I have a 50% discount coupon to bring the cost down to £9.99 to drive more sales and try and get them promoting the course.
  • £199.99 - Do I got old school Salesman and work off the idea of trying to make the course seem more valuable by increasing the price to £199.99 and looking like the most expensive. I think I will eventually go down this route and then try and drive traffic to my own platform where I will sell the course cheaper but in terms of starting off does this make sense? When Udemy discounts the course as it will always do it will give the feeling that the customer is getting a better deal as it has more off.

Really eager to hear everyones thoughts.

Thank you

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Hey Everyone,

I've been looking through the forum for the last couple of hours trying to get a feel for what people believe the best pricing strategy to be for selling on Udemy, before I dive into my thoughts I just want to preface this with a couple of assumptions/long term goals.

1. I understand that Udemy isn't going to make me rich - it violates too many elements of the CENTS framework
  2. The industry/topic that I am playing is is highly profitable (according to Udemy) with the top monthly revenue being $2886
  3. I will eventually transition to selling via my own platform but I see Udemy as a way to quickly build social proof and reviews

1. The Top 3 Courses sell for £149.99 (32 hours), £149.99 (21 hours), and £59.99 (this is more Dev focuses rather than what I am planning to teach)
  2. The Top Course have 92k Students and 24k reviews, the second one has 52k Students and 11k reviews.
  3. Ive been through both of these courses and they are very long winded, e.g. the one at 32 hours is basically the same course being taught twice in different UIs (One is a older course that he rolled into the new one)
  4. The course I have designed and filmed is 9 hours long and is straight to the point with no fluff - the other guys seem to ramble on and on when not needed
  6. I have a decent LinkedIn Profile Presence and have over 600 emails to market to, I'm building this every day through LinkedIn Posts and YouTube videos

With that in mind I'm stuck between what to sell the course for to get it off the ground;

• Free - Do I give away the course for free to people using the free Coupon to get as many students as quickly as. I feel while this would be a great way to get the student numbers up it massively devalues what I've done and seems like a waste of the small audience that I do have.
  • £19.99 - Do I price it at the lowest possible amount? Everyone knows that Udemy sells by discounting courses but even when those £1449.99 courses are discounted I will still be the cheapest. This should help draw as many students as possible while making a little money from it so I can improved and launch additional courses. Im also thinking that those people who are looking for courses will not even think about dropping £19.99 on a course. I can then offer the email audience I have a 50% discount coupon to bring the cost down to £9.99 to drive more sales and try and get them promoting the course.
  • £199.99 - Do I got old school Salesman and work off the idea of trying to make the course seem more valuable by increasing the price to £199.99 and looking like the most expensive. I think I will eventually go down this route and then try and drive traffic to my own platform where I will sell the course cheaper but in terms of starting off does this make sense? When Udemy discounts the course as it will always do it will give the feeling that the customer is getting a better deal as it has more off.

Thank you

Will you be enrolled in Udemy's promotional program?

DMass

Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
239%
Sep 11, 2021
Will you be enrolled in Udemy's promotional program?

Yeah but no the business one.

I've read that if you don't get involved with the Promotional Program they really punish you in the rankings.

DMass

Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
239%
Sep 11, 2021
Nobody on Udemy cares about the listed price. Udemy students know they will get your course at $9 to $14 in a few days. Udemy runs multiple promotions every month. I've only had 1 student ever, across more than 14,000 enrollments, who paid full price for one of my 15+ courses and that student refunded and probably re-purchased when the price dropped to almost nothing.
Thanks Lex, I appreciate you're input

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
Worse. They probably downloaded all your content to get it for free. I've seen this happen multiple times in my own Udemy courses.

Vanda

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
57%
Sep 1, 2020
Lisbon - Portugal
Hey Everyone,

Thank you
Don't give it for free, and Lex is right, if you are going to be in the promotional program the price is irrelevant. I have two courses in Udemy, the first I went with € 19,99 and the second € 24,99. You don't get tons of money from Udemy, but you get students, reviews and your name goes out in the world.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.