The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Trying to get the big guy's attention

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida
A hypothetical question - say you have thought about a creative marketing/ad campaign for a large sports company, for example Nike.

And you do not have experience doing this sort of thing, but you see that you could make something happen on the net - domain/ website setup with a video/ad you could realistically film and produce.

Now, what's the best plan of action? If you do it on your own, then try to pitch it to Nike, that's one thing, but how do you get them to pay for it? There are creative contests, yes, but do those actually produce anything for the participants down the line?

Additionally, just coming up with general improvements, ad campaigns, are you pretty much screwed if you are not a firm? /have no previous examples/works?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Giles

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Oct 11, 2007
I'd say it would be rather hard. I spend a good portion of each day coming up with campaigns and selling the idea to large companies, including Nike. Nikes tough.

For me to get Nike to spend money on my idea in New Zealand - I would contact New Zealands Nike media agency and propose the concept. She would then most likely run it past Nikes Advertising Agency,who will then run it past their higher-powers...probably in Australia.

There is plenty of gatekeepers in big companies. And its often not the company that decides the finer points of where the marketing budget is spent (sure, they will give a general direction, but not to the dollar). They have creative agencies who hire people who's sole job it is to come up with ideas and the best execution for those ideas.

Maybe see who you can contact at the company first, and just be aware they may palm you off to an agency.

Likwid24

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Mar 26, 2011
Staten Island, NY
I've researched this a little bit a while back and according to everything I read or everyone I spoke to, companies do not pay outsiders for advertising ideas. They might use your idea if they like it but the chances of you getting anything for it are slim to none.

Giles

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Oct 11, 2007
I've researched this a little bit a while back and according to everything I read or everyone I spoke to, companies do not pay outsiders for advertising ideas. They might use your idea if they like it but the chances of you getting anything for it are slim to none.

They may not pay you for the idea, but you can angle the idea so that you benefit financially from them implementing it.

For example if you own a Football website, and have a Video of The Day section, you may propose Nike sponsors this in return for naming rights, branding, banner adverts. They won't buy the idea, but they will give you $X,XXX+ if they actually do it!

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida
Giles, so you have an "in" with them? Why don't we work together, I can explain the idea to you and let you see if you think it's viable and what you think it'd take in a PM.

Milkanic

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Apr 17, 2012
Madison, WI
Your best bet is to figure out who the gatekeepers are get their attention by making them feel important. Pick their brain and work it from there.

Read "How to Win Friends and Influence People" for some ideas on how to do this.

Giles

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Oct 11, 2007
Giles, so you have an "in" with them? Why don't we work together, I can explain the idea to you and let you see if you think it's viable and what you think it'd take in a PM.

Send it through and I'll see if I can give feedback. I wouldn't say I have an in, but im in the action sports industry so keep a close eye on what Nike do.

D

DeletedUser2

the fedex trick is the best way to get past gate keepers.

1. get the address of the guy you want to send something to.
2. send it fedex overnight. cost 15 bucks or so.
3. most top guys may have an assistant open mail, but the usually pass fedex directly to the top. with out opening it. its kinda an unspoken rule.

great way to get to the top guys fast.

and your more likely to get a response from them as well. heck, even include a return prepaid fedex. :)

hope that helps
Z

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.