The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Trying to get some focus.

Flatlander

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Dec 28, 2010
South Dakota
In 2011 I'm going to try as hard as I can to focus on one site until it either succeeds or crashes and burns.

For the last decade or so I've had crap all over the internet and although I make money at it, the big money has so far been elusive.

Still, I know I won't be able to help myself so I'm allowing myself to mess around with the other sites on the weekends only, just to keep the easy money coming in.

Already I'm seeing results in that I'm getting a lot of work done so hopefully this will be just what I needed.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Jozi

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Jan 6, 2011
South Africa
Keep it up Flatlander! I noticed that Action + Focus are the two ingredients that improved my productivity exponentially as well. Will be looking forward on following your progress!

valuegiver

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Aug 18, 2010

littlekingaz

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
May 26, 2009
Tempe, AZ

snowbank

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Aug 10, 2007
Austin, TX
I'm going to try as hard as I can to focus on one site until it either succeeds or crashes and burns.

You need to figure this out before you start a business, not after. You should know going in a good estimate of how much you're going to make. If the estimate you come up with equates to small, or negative money, you wouldn't launch the site, you'd go a different route.

G

Guest3722A

You need to figure this out before you start a business, not after. You should know going in a good estimate of how much you're going to make. If the estimate you come up with equates to small, or negative money, you wouldn't launch the site, you'd go a different route.

How would a good estimate be determined? Are there sites that would help with this or would it maybe be based on a personal estimate of how many people you believe your product or service would impact? Or maybe other methods?

Thanks in advance

Flatlander

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Dec 28, 2010
South Dakota

I have thought it through but you never know how something is going to work out until you actually do it. Or maybe you have a crystal ball.

snowbank

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Aug 10, 2007
Austin, TX
How would a good estimate be determined? Are there sites that would help with this or would it maybe be based on a personal estimate of how many people you believe your product or service would impact? Or maybe other methods?

Thanks in advance

The short version- a lot of research, and a lot of number crunching.- I go overboard with both of these things, and have found estimates to be near exact of what the actual ends up being- whether it's traffic, profits, etc... Obv, you can't be 100% exact, because there's thousands of variables, but I create ranges and EV calculations based on the work that I do beforehand. It will never make sense for the actual numbers to be outside of the range of pre-project estimates. If it ever is, it means that I didn't do enough research, or I seriously f'ed up on something. The closer to my EV, the better. I determine if something is worth pursuing based on if the range makes it worthwhile to pursue, if the EV makes it worthwhile to pursue, while comparing it to other opportunities, and obviously a combination of the two(range and EV)- meaning if the low end of the range was very low, the EV better be very high to offset the times it ends up working out in the low end of the range, and/or I should be in a situation in my life where I don't mind risking that happening as opposed to going with a better range but maybe smaller EV scenario.

There's so much more to the equation than how many people might buy your product. Even if you calculate exactly how many people are going to buy your product, but you don't factor in that you don't have a competitive advantage against a future competitor, you seriously f'ed up because you can waste a ton of time and be out of the game and starting from scratch all over again. That's just one example- there's a ton of variables that need to be accounted for.

I'll be going over an actual scenario of this at B+P.

G

Guest3722A

Thanks for the time you put into explaining this. I can't rep you twice in a row for this great information so I owe ya one.

Today I purchased a domain name that I think is a good one. The research I'm learning is to me, kinda like a new life. It's an adventure. You know when you get that feeling of when you're pretty sure that you have something that has the potential to do quite well, with the right formula? I have that with this one. Imo, not all ideas have that kind of power.

Unfortunately B n P won't be something I'll be able to do this year. Maybe next year.

Flatlander

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Dec 28, 2010
South Dakota

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
The short version- a lot of research, and a lot of number crunching.- I go overboard with both of these things, and have found estimates to be near exact of what the actual ends up being- whether it's traffic, profits, etc... Obv, you can't be 100% exact, because there's thousands of variables, but I create ranges and EV calculations based on the work that I do beforehand. It will never make sense for the actual numbers to be outside of the range of pre-project estimates. If it ever is, it means that I didn't do enough research, or I seriously f'ed up on something. The closer to my EV, the better. I determine if something is worth pursuing based on if the range makes it worthwhile to pursue, if the EV makes it worthwhile to pursue, while comparing it to other opportunities, and obviously a combination of the two(range and EV)- meaning if the low end of the range was very low, the EV better be very high to offset the times it ends up working out in the low end of the range, and/or I should be in a situation in my life where I don't mind risking that happening as opposed to going with a better range but maybe smaller EV scenario.

There's so much more to the equation than how many people might buy your product. Even if you calculate exactly how many people are going to buy your product, but you don't factor in that you don't have a competitive advantage against a future competitor, you seriously f'ed up because you can waste a ton of time and be out of the game and starting from scratch all over again. That's just one example- there's a ton of variables that need to be accounted for.

I'll be going over an actual scenario of this at B+P.

This is kinda like the story an SEO company told me a few years ago. This lady who loves horses spent $5000 on a site that sold horse trailer brake lighting. She got the site up and asked the SEO company to rank her for it. It was a pretty easy term so they got her to #1 real fast for a bunch of terms. Turns out all her search terms sitting at #1 only got her 20 hits a day. There was no market for them.

G

Guest3722A

Thanks guys for your insight. What i gather thus far from your comments is to make sure there is a valuable and sizable market (that's scalable), and to understand there are multitudes of variables that can turn the time and investment into a project against the site's creator.

Graves

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jan 31, 2011
I have thought it through but you never know how something is going to work out until you actually do it. Or maybe you have a crystal ball.
do market research

FDJustin

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Apr 30, 2010
Canada
I think what flatlander is saying, is that he doesn't know what variables to look at / how to look at them. I'm in this boat myself; looking at Biophase's example, that's one of the only things I know how / to look at.

Other than that, I could put "market research" into google and hope I can find my way past all the people selling market research services.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA

No you def can have a good estimate, nothing to do with a crystal ball. Especially online it is even easier, but with everything there is work involved in figuring it out. Do it or don't i would rather check the numbers first.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.