The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Trust advice

jms0717

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Oct 31, 2017
San Angelo, TX
Obviously, I should get legit legal advice from my attorney when the time comes. That said, I think y'all would have some helpful advice in the meantime. So I'm working on gathering skills to start working for myself and my business (web design for now and then others eventually). For now I'm a stay at home mom. When my parents died they left me a trust with just under a million worth of land and investment accounts. I get $600 / month, which is what makes me able to stay at home with my daughter (barely - husband's paycheck to paycheck, but we're doing alright for now).
My thought from a small amount of research is that when the money starts coming in, I create an llc with the trust as beneficiary (partner? Whatever the word is), and just talk to the trustee to increase my monthly income when I have the business income. Would that be a good form of asset protection or overly complicated? And at what point would I rework the trust/create a new one to make my daughter the beneficiary? I'm 23 and she's 18 months. My trust comes fully in my name in 12 years. I don't have any fears about my husband doing anything bad, but you know, just in case, I want it directly to her.
I don't know much about the legal aspects of this yet (and I'm also exhausted on a road trip), but I'm learning as I go, so feel free to correct terminology or ask for clarification if necessary!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Greg R

Act, Assess, Adjust
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
465%
Oct 28, 2015
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
I get $600 / month

$600/ month? Conservatively speaking, a million dollars in assets should be netting you somewhere around $4000/ month. I would maybe focus on turning those assets into some recurring income. i.e. bonds, dividends, rental income.

Sorry I can't help you on the legal end.

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
Do you become the trustee in 12 years?
Professional trustee's take 3-4% of the total per year. Are you making $7200 and your trustee $30-$40K?
Mrs jon and I manage a family trust. She's the trustee and I help. $600 is really low. It of course depends on the asset mix.
I would join the INSIDERS and take this tread inside.

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
Correction:
Professional trustee's charge about 1% (sorry)
So, you get $7200 and the trustee gets about $10K.

Do you become the trustee in 12 years?
Professional trustee's take 3-4% of the total per year. Are you making $7200 and your trustee $30-$40K?
Mrs jon and I manage a family trust. She's the trustee and I help. $600 is really low. It of course depends on the asset mix.
I would join the INSIDERS and take this tread inside.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

GlobalWealth

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Sep 6, 2009
Latvia
Obviously, I should get legit legal advice from my attorney when the time comes. That said, I think y'all would have some helpful advice in the meantime. So I'm working on gathering skills to start working for myself and my business (web design for now and then others eventually). For now I'm a stay at home mom. When my parents died they left me a trust with just under a million worth of land and investment accounts. I get $600 / month, which is what makes me able to stay at home with my daughter (barely - husband's paycheck to paycheck, but we're doing alright for now).
My thought from a small amount of research is that when the money starts coming in, I create an llc with the trust as beneficiary (partner? Whatever the word is), and just talk to the trustee to increase my monthly income when I have the business income. Would that be a good form of asset protection or overly complicated? And at what point would I rework the trust/create a new one to make my daughter the beneficiary? I'm 23 and she's 18 months. My trust comes fully in my name in 12 years. I don't have any fears about my husband doing anything bad, but you know, just in case, I want it directly to her.
I don't know much about the legal aspects of this yet (and I'm also exhausted on a road trip), but I'm learning as I go, so feel free to correct terminology or ask for clarification if necessary!

Unfortunately there are way to many variables as well as necessity to understand trust law for you to get any reasonable assistance on this forum.

Even with lawyers, not 1 in 100 understand trust law, even the ones that claim to specialize in it.

If you are earning $600/m that means the settlor specified in the letter of wishes how and how much you are to receive as trust distributions in a year.

It also seems the trust assets will be distributed to you at age 35. This is pretty standard.

I've seen trusts with all versions of letter of wishes stipulating how and when beneficiaries are to receive trust assets.

It's possible there are other stipulations as well. Once I saw a settlor who stipulated that if the beneficiaries had any alcohol or drug problems evidenced by criminal charges or rehab, they could not touch trust assets for another 5 years.

In 12 years you will have the assets distributed to you. At that time you should consider setting up a trust as the settlor and granting those assets (or whatever assets) into a new trust with your kids as beneficiaries.

There are tax laws to consider as well as your home state laws related to marital assets for granting assets into a trust.

You also need to learn the difference between a revocable and an irrevocable trust as the tax and asset protection implications are significantly different.

Sent from my VTR-L29 using Tapatalk

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.