Obviously, I should get legit legal advice from my attorney when the time comes. That said, I think y'all would have some helpful advice in the meantime. So I'm working on gathering skills to start working for myself and my business (web design for now and then others eventually). For now I'm a stay at home mom. When my parents died they left me a trust with just under a million worth of land and investment accounts. I get $600 / month, which is what makes me able to stay at home with my daughter (barely - husband's paycheck to paycheck, but we're doing alright for now).
My thought from a small amount of research is that when the money starts coming in, I create an llc with the trust as beneficiary (partner? Whatever the word is), and just talk to the trustee to increase my monthly income when I have the business income. Would that be a good form of asset protection or overly complicated? And at what point would I rework the trust/create a new one to make my daughter the beneficiary? I'm 23 and she's 18 months. My trust comes fully in my name in 12 years. I don't have any fears about my husband doing anything bad, but you know, just in case, I want it directly to her.
I don't know much about the legal aspects of this yet (and I'm also exhausted on a road trip), but I'm learning as I go, so feel free to correct terminology or ask for clarification if necessary!
Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
My thought from a small amount of research is that when the money starts coming in, I create an llc with the trust as beneficiary (partner? Whatever the word is), and just talk to the trustee to increase my monthly income when I have the business income. Would that be a good form of asset protection or overly complicated? And at what point would I rework the trust/create a new one to make my daughter the beneficiary? I'm 23 and she's 18 months. My trust comes fully in my name in 12 years. I don't have any fears about my husband doing anything bad, but you know, just in case, I want it directly to her.
I don't know much about the legal aspects of this yet (and I'm also exhausted on a road trip), but I'm learning as I go, so feel free to correct terminology or ask for clarification if necessary!
Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Dislike ads? Become a Fastlane member:
Subscribe today and surround yourself with winners and millionaire mentors, not those broke friends who only want to drink beer and play video games. :-)
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts
Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.
You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.
- Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
- MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
- Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
- Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."— User Richard Peck
"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?
