The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Looking for Advice for unfair app suspension by google play

rizbit

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Jan 13, 2024
Hey I wanted some serious advice about an unfair app suspension from the Google Play Store.

In the UK we have laws where if a worker is unfairly sacked from work they can take legal action and get justice that way. However when it comes to the 'business partnership' with Google Play even if they unfairly suspend your app or account there is not much you can do, unless you can pull together the online equivalent of a million man march. Its your word against theirs and even if you are right it doesn't matter. There are hundreds if not thousands of independent developers who would agree with this.

So I developed a mobile app and published it, all tested and ready to go. The app was checked and approved by Google Play.... Great...

The app was a digital scales simulator app called 3 Grams, which is a real working app which gives users estimates of the weight of an object.

The app was live on the store was just over 4 years, during which several updates to the app and listing were approved first time without any issues.

Then early 2023 they suspended the app without any warnings you can see the suspension email screenshot here:

3gl-suspension.jpg

Google's Reasons For Suspension:
  • They claim the app is not functional
  • They claim the app is deceptive
  • They claim that a phone was not designed to be a digital scale app

My Counter Claim in My Appeal:

- They claim the app is not functional

• But there are several video demonstrations showing clearly that the app works and how it works.
  • But it had over 40K active installs and 1.66K daily users - So what exactly were they doing with the scales app if it didn't function?
  • But it had over hundred positive 4 to 5 star ratings and reviews. The Facebook page alone has over 70 ratings and 5 stars overall.
  • But I've tested it on several phones and have produced a written algorithm showing how the weight is calculated using tilt readings... its real science.
  • But if the app didn't function then why was it approved like a dozen times?

- They claim the app is deceptive
  • If the app is proven to be functional how can it be deceptive.
  • If we describe the app as a digital scales simulator and it can be used to estimate weight, how is that deceptive.
  • There is nothing deceptive and it it policy compliant.
- They claim that a phone was not designed to be a digital scale app
  • But a phone isn't designed to do alot of things but they still can be used to do those things... I mean a phone isn't really a Tom Tom but it has the features to enable it to be used as one.
  • But the phone is not designed to be a Ghost Detector or Metal Detector and yet there are thousands of those apps on the Google Play Store.
  • But the whole of point of mobile apps is the EXTEND the functionality of phones so that they can be used to do things it want designed for...

What steps have I taken:
  • I have appealed - No resolution, template responses, no further clarification or transparency
  • I have appealed again - No resolution, template responses, no further clarification or transparency
  • I have emailed play policy support - No resolution, template responses, no further clarification or transparency
  • I have rang them numerous time - Its low level support who tell you they will check and get back to you. Last few times they've kept me waiting for over an hour and not answered.
  • I have tried their social accounts - They send you round in circles and then don't reply
  • I have requested for third party dispute resolution with their chosen party called CEDR - They have not replied after 2 months
So I am asking if anyone can suggest anything further to try to reinstate the unfairly suspended app.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Jon822

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Nov 21, 2016
What you deem "fair" or not has no relevance: you created something specifically for an ecosystem that another company controls. Unless you can prove that screen tilt is an accurate measure of weight, then Google is not going to rescind their decision. Screen tilt is also going to be a function of the size and shape of the object, so odds are, it's not accurate enough. For example, if I put something on it that is flat and at least as big as the screen, it's not going to tilt at all. So unless you specify that the object must be smaller than the size of the screen, there are going to be instances where the error margin is 100%.

Google may have decided that they don't want to encourage people putting shit on their phone screen for the purpose of weighing it. Even if you prove that your app works exactly as intended and that Google's reason for the suspension is bullshit, this could end up being a lesson in the commandment of Control.

Choate

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
239%
Mar 25, 2014
Boston
Violated the commandment of control.

Have you read the books, or are you just here to rant about your Google ban?

Can you shift to a web app?

rizbit

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Jan 13, 2024
What you deem "fair" or not has no relevance: you created something specifically for an ecosystem that another company controls. Unless you can prove that screen tilt is an accurate measure of weight, then Google is not going to rescind their decision. Screen tilt is also going to be a function of the size and shape of the object, so odds are, it's not accurate enough. For example, if I put something on it that is flat and at least as big as the screen, it's not going to tilt at all. So unless you specify that the object must be smaller than the size of the screen, there are going to be instances where the error margin is 100%.

Google may have decided that they don't want to encourage people putting shit on their phone screen for the purpose of weighing it. Even if you prove that your app works exactly as intended and that Google's reason for the suspension is bullshit, this could end up being a lesson in the commandment of Control.

- Unless you can prove that screen tilt is an accurate measure of weight,
Yes i have proven that is it accurate enough for an estimate. I also clearly tell users not to place objects on the screen to weight unless its a small object like say a coin or a ring. They can also create a makeshift see saw and use that.

All these methods I show in several video demonstrations. I also show how accurate it can be if setup correctly. At the end of the day most scales actually give you an estimate.... I step on my bathroom scales a few times and get different readings each time.... doesnt mean the scale is not functional, just means maybe its cheap and not well made or im not using it right, like not standing in the same position each time.

- Commandment Of Control.
To be honest, the control should really be in the hands of the independent developer. Think about it. If all the independent developers went on strike and unpublished all their apps from Play Store the Play Store would go bust.... as theyd be left with just their own apps and the apps from the big companies... like X, IG, Call of Duty etc... People would soon get bored due to the lack of variety and move on to other platforms. But in reality this doesn't work because independent developers don't stick together, they in that rat race, fighting each other for the top rankings.

rizbit

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Jan 13, 2024
Violated the commandment of control.

Have you read the books, or are you just here to rant about your Google ban?

Can you shift to a web app?
I only joined yesterday so I havent read the books yet, il look into those soon.

Im not here to rant, theres no point in ranting, im here for legal advice, in a legal forum, im looking for practical solutions, not opinions or judgements. I already know im right and they are wrong, I just need to know ive done all i can to get justice

Jon822

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Nov 21, 2016
im here for legal advice, in a legal forum
This is not a legal forum.
To be honest, the control should really be in the hands of the independent developer. Think about it. If all the independent developers went on strike and unpublished all their apps from Play Store the Play Store would go bust
This doesn't matter. That's like saying if all McDonald's workers quit, there would be no workers so, therefore, all the workers should be entitled to an equal distribution of the profits. Mobile apps and McDonald's workers are easily replaceable. The Google Play Store and the the McDonald's international franchise, not so much.

If you think that there's an opportunity to compete with the Google Play Store, then by all means create a better platform. But Google's platform should be and will remain in the hands of Google.

Last edited:

Oso

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
299%
Jan 18, 2022
To be honest, the control should really be in the hands of the independent developer. Think about it. If all the independent developers went on strike and unpublished all their apps from Play Store the Play Store would go bust.... as theyd be left with just their own apps and the apps from the big companies... like X, IG, Call of Duty etc... People would soon get bored due to the lack of variety and move on to other platforms. But in reality this doesn't work because independent developers don't stick together, they in that rat race, fighting each other for the top rankings.
It is in the hands of the developer. You control where and how you deploy your app, the tech stack used to make it, etc. But the moment it's on someone else's platform, your opinion ceases to matter. Why should it matter? You're using their shit. Welcome to the perks of being Google, having your own platform, etc.

And if I'm being completely transparent here, my dude, I'd go as far as saying it has nothing to do with the functionality, and everything to do with the fact you made a free scale for small-time plugs. As a stoner, I 100% would've used your app. But from Google's perspective, I'm surprised they let you deploy it at all, tbh.

Anything related to, and/or anything that can be considered within the realm of "adult content" is typically shutdown, almost instantaneously. If I were in your shoes, I'd either abandon the project, or find another way to deploy it without fear of interference from the platform you choose.

You aren't the first person this has happened to, and you definitely won't be the last. You are free to seek legal advice (from a lawyer, not an entrepreneurship forum), but I can guarantee Google has gone through every legal line with a fine-toothed comb, 10,000 times over, so good luck on suing them.

Cheers.

rizbit

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Jan 13, 2024
It is in the hands of the developer. You control where and how you deploy your app, the tech stack used to make it, etc. But the moment it's on someone else's platform, your opinion ceases to matter. Why should it matter? You're using their shit. Welcome to the perks of being Google, having your own platform, etc.

And if I'm being completely transparent here, my dude, I'd go as far as saying it has nothing to do with the functionality, and everything to do with the fact you made a free scale for small-time plugs. As a stoner, I 100% would've used your app. But from Google's perspective, I'm surprised they let you deploy it at all, tbh.

Anything related to, and/or anything that can be considered within the realm of "adult content" is typically shutdown, almost instantaneously. If I were in your shoes, I'd either abandon the project, or find another way to deploy it without fear of interference from the platform you choose.

You aren't the first person this has happened to, and you definitely won't be the last. You are free to seek legal advice (from a lawyer, not an entrepreneurship forum), but I can guarantee Google has gone through every legal line with a fine-toothed comb, 10,000 times over, so good luck on suing them.

Cheers.
Thanks, but its not an adult app. Maybe as a stoner you could find use for it, but its not designed just for stoners, its designed to be used any anyone who wants to get a weight estimation on the go, or when their digital is broken.

Its kinda like discrimination aswell... Googles policies state they dont allow prank apps, yet theres thousands of prank apps on the store, eg ghost detector apps... ive even seen one advertised (by the dev and google) as a REAL ghost detector which is placed in the 'Prank Apss' category. So firstly why even have a prank app category if they dont allow prank apps, how can a ghost detector app be real? You cant even prove ghosts exist let alone ghost detectors.

Its like they selectively choose which of their own policies to enforce even if by mistake.

I get what you saying about its google 'shit' their rules etc.... but its more than just their company, its something that needs regulation just like AI and crypto, because otherwise lots of people will get scammed or screwed and theirs nothing to help them, like you said suing google is no easy task.

If Google were so cocksure that they could win a court case or that they are right in this wrongful suspension then I dont see why they would not agree to a third party dispute resolution to come to some sort of mutual agreement?

Your advice is good but ive spent years developing it in compliance with google policies and thousands on marketing (mainly with Google) I would want to try everything I can to get it reinstated.

rizbit

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Jan 13, 2024
This is not a legal forum.

This doesn't matter. That's like saying if all McDonald's workers quit, there would be no workers so, therefore, all the workers should be entitled to an equal distribution of the profits. Mobile apps and McDonald's workers are easily replaceable. Google Play Store and the the McDonald's international franchise, not so much.

If you think that there's an opportunity to compete with the Google Play Store, then by all means create a better platform. But Google's platform should be and will remain in the hands of Google.
Ok il be technically correct, in a "Legal, Tax, Regulation" section in a forum for entrepreneurs.

I dont want to compete with, or takeover google :rofl:

Googles platform should remain in the hands of google.... cool i agree with that, i never said anything contrary to that, not even sure why that had to be said.

Its about getting fair and just treatment. Because google make mistakes, there are several case studies where google have admitted error and reinstated apps, but all of these apps were from big companies or had like hundreds of thousands of followers/users flaming online which then gets google attention.... but this is discrimination.

Oso

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
299%
Jan 18, 2022
Thanks, but its not an adult app. Maybe as a stoner you could find use for it, but its not designed just for stoners, its designed to be used any anyone who wants to get a weight estimation on the go, or when their digital is broken.

Its kinda like discrimination aswell... Googles policies state they dont allow prank apps, yet theres thousands of prank apps on the store, eg ghost detector apps... ive even seen one advertised (by the dev and google) as a REAL ghost detector which is placed in the 'Prank Apss' category. So firstly why even have a prank app category if they dont allow prank apps, how can a ghost detector app be real? You cant even prove ghosts exist let alone ghost detectors.

Its like they selectively choose which of their own policies to enforce even if by mistake.

I get what you saying about its google 'shit' their rules etc.... but its more than just their company, its something that needs regulation just like AI and crypto, because otherwise lots of people will get scammed or screwed and theirs nothing to help them, like you said suing google is no easy task.

If Google were so cocksure that they could win a court case or that they are right in this wrongful suspension then I dont see why they would not agree to a third party dispute resolution to come to some sort of mutual agreement?

Your advice is good but ive spent years developing it in compliance with google policies and thousands on marketing (mainly with Google) I would want to try everything I can to get it reinstated.
It doesn't matter. It can be translated into that. "On the go digital weighing." AKA: "a scale for plugs." They don't want anything to do with anything that can even be remotely related to adult content. If they think there's a "chance" someone will use it for illegal activity (e.g. your app), they'll shut it down.

You can cry, you can say it isn't fair, etc. But that's the reality of using someone else's platform. Unfortunately, this comes from experience with more apps than I can remember. Google - as well as every other person/company - isn't going to risk their empire for 1 singular app/developer. It makes more sense to trim the fat and cover their asses, especially if the app was struggling to gain momentum/traction anyway.

You can debate it as much as you want. But it isn't your platform, therefore they aren't your rules. And as I've already said, you can try to sue, at which point I'd encourage you to speak with a lawyer instead of debating Google's decision with randoms on an entrepreneurship forum.

Good luck, bruv.

Cheers.

Jon822

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Nov 21, 2016
To be honest, the control should really be in the hands of the independent developer.
Googles platform should remain in the hands of google.... cool i agree with that, i never said anything contrary to that, not even sure why that had to be said.
Yes you did.

You don't seem receptive to any advice here at all so what is the point of asking? Just consult with a lawyer.

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
555%
Apr 17, 2022
an unfair app suspension
Any platform can kick you out at any time and for any reason.

As @Jon822 said, your perception of fairness/unfairness is completely irrelevant on this matter.

To be honest, the control should really be in the hands of the independent developer.
It already is. You have the freedom to:
  • keep using the platform
  • stop using the platform
  • build your own platform

Think about it. If all the independent developers went on strike and unpublished all their apps from Play Store the Play Store would go bust.... as theyd be left with just their own apps and the apps from the big companies...
But in reality this doesn't work because independent developers don't stick together, they in that rat race, fighting each other for the top rankings.

This is beginning to sound like some Reddit socialist complaint with an external locus of control.

What makes you think you have any right over someone else's property? Why would you be entitled to change another company's rules?

They are free to kick you out, and you are free to leave.

Free market capitalism.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
634%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
LMFAO you entitled little socialist

In the UK we have laws where if a worker is unfairly sacked from work they can take legal action and get justice that way

Every reason to fire someone is fair.

I am not your slave, and you are not mine.

I cannot force the trade of your labor for my dollar onto you.

So why are you allowed to force the trade of your labor for my dollar onto me?

Do you have to prove a valid reason to quit a job or else be forced to stay there or pay damages?

Then why should I have to prove a valid reason for you to cease working for me?

Nobody owes you shit.

Jon822

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Nov 21, 2016

Do you have to prove a valid reason to quit a job or else be forced to stay there or pay damages?

Nobody owes you shit.
It's so crazy that the average person thinks companies should exist to provide them a cushy lifestyle even if they are a worthless employee.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
634%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
It's so crazy that the average person thinks companies should exist to provide them a cushy lifestyle even if they are a worthless employee.
is it really that crazy or doesn't it make total sense when you meet these people? lol

Just remember, these people vote too!

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
555%
Apr 17, 2022
unfair app suspension
we have laws where if a worker is unfairly sacked from work they can take legal action and get justice that way.
if they unfairly suspend your app or account there is not much you can do
even if you are right it doesn't matter
try to reinstate the unfairly suspended app.
the control should really be in the hands of the independent developer
If all the independent developers went on strike and unpublished all their apps
independent developers don't stick together, they in that rat race, fighting each other for the top rankings.
I already know im right and they are wrong, I just need to know ive done all i can to get justice
Its kinda like discrimination aswell...
but its more than just their company, its something that needs regulation
lots of people will get scammed or screwed and theirs nothing to help them
Its about getting fair and just treatment.
this is discrimination.

1705268646432.png

I really hope that @Kak doesn't accidentally read this thread.

rizbit

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Jan 13, 2024

Nobody owes you shit.
Well yes you DO have to provide a valid reason to leave a job, or have one atleast in case you need to give one.

There is a thing called a contract in most job situations in which there will be agreements like minimum term of employment, requirements for leaving etc... which both parties sign and agree to.

An employer can spend weeks training someone up to do a job, that takes up their time, if that employee can then just leave the next day for no reason its not a good thing for the employer and also the employee whod prob get a bad reference.

Maybe you have not been in employment so you dont know...

Anyway Im leaving it at that as it doesnt help with what I am asking for which is with help to reinstate an app.

When you pay to use a service like google play and then follow their policies best you can you have a right to be treated fairly. Anyone who has published with google play and had issues like removals and suspension knows exactly what i am talking about, im not alone in acknowledging this issue.

Even government bodies are saying that these large coorps like google and apple are not transparent in their moderation policies and so it is being looked into.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Last edited:

rizbit

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Jan 13, 2024
It doesn't matter. It can be translated into that. "On the go digital weighing." AKA: "a scale for plugs." They don't want anything to do with anything that can even be remotely related to adult content. If they think there's a "chance" someone will use it for illegal activity (e.g. your app), they'll shut it down.

You can cry, you can say it isn't fair, etc. But that's the reality of using someone else's platform. Unfortunately, this comes from experience with more apps than I can remember. Google - as well as every other person/company - isn't going to risk their empire for 1 singular app/developer. It makes more sense to trim the fat and cover their asses, especially if the app was struggling to gain momentum/traction anyway.

You can debate it as much as you want. But it isn't your platform, therefore they aren't your rules. And as I've already said, you can try to sue, at which point I'd encourage you to speak with a lawyer instead of debating Google's decision with randoms on an entrepreneurship forum.

Good luck, bruv.

Cheers.

- Again I dont think this is true. Because it is a tool app like a calculator, or a tilt level metre or a compass app. Then bear in mind the entire internet and tons of apps even big name ones can be used for illegal activities or for adult content... Look at for example X, IG, Tik Tok they all have adult content. Even say Netflix app you can watch over 18 content on their, it provides the access.... You can use Google Maps for illegal activities... But the thing is that if that is the reason then they would tell you that it comes under illegal activities policy, can you see. But the reason they gave was 'deceptive behaviour' policy due to 'app is not functional'. These are the actual reasons they gave, which are very brief and could be caused by many factors.... such as not being used correctly by the tester, not compatible with their device or something else. However we have several videos showing that the app does function and works as described. This is the reason i am still pursuing this, because the reasons they gave dont add up at all.

People saying its Googles platform they can do whatvever they want... dont understand that you have to buy the developer account and you enter into a business partnership with Google Play where they take a big percentage of any profits you make. Its not a master-servant relationship its a business one. If you went into business with someone where you both made money and you put in thousands of pounds and most of your time to build it up, are you (not you personally...) saying it would be acceptable for the other party to just 'toss you out' for no valid reason?

"especially if the app was struggling to gain momentum/traction anyway."
- This isnt true. The app initially was not doing well. I had to spend thousands on marketing it and many hours every week to get it to a stage where it did gain momentum and was doing well. At time of suspension it had about 35 to 40K active installs and 1.66K daily users. With hundreds of positive comments. The daily installs were on the rise. Maybe someone got jealous.

People saying get a lawyer, fine but im not sure where to start as its not something I have experience with. Google Play is based in california, im based in UK. What kind of lawyer would be able to help?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.