The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

True Entrepreneur Spirit

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

S928

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Aug 7, 2007
I saw this report and found it to be fascinating, so I'll pass it along. Anyone heard of Bratz? Or Barbie?

Isaac Larian came to the U.S. from Iran and started his own toy company. Now, his company is extremely successful and his competition is not so happy. Listen to him talk; he truly embodies the entrepreneur spirit! Bravo for him. Then, listen to his competitor's
reaction - talk about denial and years of complacency. So, the question is: who's laughing now? Go, Isaac!

:boxing_smiley:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xxbJejTbuI"]YouTube - CNBC Special Report: It's War -- Bratz vs. Barbie[/ame]

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
Thanks for sharing.
I'd never buy a Bratz doll to my daughter, but hey, the guy is doing great, so good for him. Barbie? hmmm maybe. I am thinking of buying them a Cashflow for kids instead :D

AroundTheWorld

Be in the Moment
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 24, 2007
Thanks for sharing.
I'd never buy a Bratz doll to my daughter, but hey, the guy is doing great, so good for him. Barbie? hmmm maybe. I am thinking of buying them a Cashflow for kids instead :D

Kudos to you. ;)

Also - scrap all the toys you find at wal-mart..... go for the pots, pans out of your kitchen cupboard and and some wooden spoons. wood blocks to stack, some knitting needles, and some great read aloud books. (uh.... no on the barbie too!) ;)

Okay.... hijack over.

Seriously though..... the guy has a great story - kudos to him, but for me personally this does highlight a "different" topic...

stewarship, social responsibility, your higher purpose, "make meaning" as Kawasaki says in Art of the Start (the book I'm currently reading)... what ever you want to call it.... is important.

You have to do something you feel good about. Your financial path needs to be in allignment with your values. I'm not saying he should not feel good about what he is doing - just that it would not work for me personally.

I used to own a business that was not in allignment with some of my values. It was fine for a while - the business served it's purpose. After years though - I had had enough. Sold the business (there were other reasons for selling as well) and I'm much happier because of it.

FT1

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Aug 15, 2007
I really don't see what the problem is with the Bratz dolls. Hip hop cloths, bling, and all that stuff is a reality to some kids... it's "what's in" and that's no different than any other generation of young kids being attracted to the "in" thing.

I give the guy credit for understanding that not all little girls look like or relate to Barbie. I also found the Mattel executive's statements about Barbies "values" to be a joke. Some could argue Barbie stands for the skinny flawless blonde image of beauty that very few women can live up to, and as a parent, I don't wan't my daughter buying into that either.

Anyway, what I respect is the guy came here at 17, started as a dishwasher and built his fortune.

Z5 FILMS

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Aug 13, 2007
The Woodlands, TX
That guy from Mattel looked angry about being questioned on why they are getting their butt kicked by the Brats dolls and unhappy about the fact that Barbie has stiff competition.

Mattel obviously became complacent with Barbie.

A good old underdog story.

I LOVE IT!

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
In my book I mention that there are fastlanes going thru the ghetto as well as the nice neighborhoods ... some might classify "Brats" as a fastlane thru the ghetto.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Shooting for XMAS Season, if not, early 08.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
An expert in body language will tell you that the Mattel Exec in this video is obviously uncomfortable and doesn't believe what he is saying.

S928

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Aug 7, 2007
Apparently some people have issues with this man's products. Honestly, I don't see what the problem is. His products aren't unethical, they're a fact of life. Folks, societies evolve ... we all know that. He saw a need, and acted upon it. Good for him - he's a smart man.

Poudda

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Sep 7, 2007
Calgary, Alberta
And don't forget. He at first thought that the dolls were ugly. It was his daughter that turned him on to them, if she hadn't liked them, they never would have come to fruition. It's about knowing what your market wants.

WheelsRCool

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Aug 12, 2007
Wow that was an awesome story. I was reading that about 60% or so of MGA Entertainment's revenue comes from the Bratz line alone, but that since the total revenues of the company are around $2 billion, the other 30% - 40% still represent hundreds of millions of dollars!

What's also cool is that is a privately-held company.

I agree with the founder, if a toy influences your kids that much, you havent' been parenting correctly. Same as the people who blame their kids's behavior on videogames or rap music.

One thing I wonder is, are Bratz just a fad though, or do dolls like that last a long time? Because if they represent such a big portion of revenue for the company, they have to make sure they keep them popular.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Wow that was an awesome story. I was reading that about 60% or so of MGA Entertainment's revenue comes from the Bratz line alone, but that since the total revenues of the company are around $2 billion, the other 30% - 40% still represent hundreds of millions of dollars!

What's also cool is that is a privately-held company.

I agree with the founder, if a toy influences your kids that much, you havent' been parenting correctly. Same as the people who blame their kids's behavior on videogames or rap music.

One thing I wonder is, are Bratz just a fad though, or do dolls like that last a long time? Because if they represent such a big portion of revenue for the company, they have to make sure they keep them popular.

I imagine the doll would change as do the times.

nomadjanet

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 28, 2007
TX
Why are the dolls heads so big? I don't have a problem with the gansta clothes or the bling or whatever but why do they have Huge Heads?:confused:
Seriously good on him that he found a need & filled it just lets hope there is not another lead paint scandal coming up behind this story. :)

S928

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Aug 7, 2007
Big heads are a part of the attraction, kinda like the Cabbage Patch Kids. You have to think like a child a la outside the box.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.