Hi all,
Just trying to reach out to people who, I am sure, have been there done that with this situation. Backstory:
I am completely head over heels in love with my girlfriend. We have been together for a long time now and are planning on moving in together. I am sure that there are future plans for us being together for the long run and I have no problem at all with that. She is my best friend and lover.
That being said...she has very "itchy feet." She has the best of intentions with working with a non-profit and will not settle for any job until she gets what she wants. Problem is this...city that I am in has a ton of opportunity in that sector. Why is that a problem you ask? She doesn't believe it...she wants to be in DC, NYC, or Cali...or even Africa. I try to stress the importance of starting on a local level and gaining ground/momentum and experience, THEN getting into the perfect job.
I don't really know what to say. Her family is here and is really excited that she has finally come home (she has been gone 3 years after college across seas, travelling) and I have, basically, pledged to my boss (very small firm I am helping him grow) that I will stick around for at least 2 years before I start my own (which I am already in the process of doing, but hoping by the 2 year mark I can make it my sole source of income).
I try to listen and I would love to follow but I can't. I don't want to hold her back. I don't want to tell her that I think it is selfish and she has to choose to be an adult at some point in life. I don't want to tell her this because if I say this, then it is going against all I stand for. I have let no one dictate my future and whether I am successful or not (told me I would never go to college, once I started the college path then they told me I would never get into the one I wanted, then once I did get in they told me I would never get the money, then once I got the scholarship they told me I would never make the grades, etc...).
I have to stay here for a bit longer. I don't want to lose her. Advice?
I come to you guys more than I go to my best friends, haha.
Any and all accepted and appreciated.
Best,
Josh
Just trying to reach out to people who, I am sure, have been there done that with this situation. Backstory:
I am completely head over heels in love with my girlfriend. We have been together for a long time now and are planning on moving in together. I am sure that there are future plans for us being together for the long run and I have no problem at all with that. She is my best friend and lover.
That being said...she has very "itchy feet." She has the best of intentions with working with a non-profit and will not settle for any job until she gets what she wants. Problem is this...city that I am in has a ton of opportunity in that sector. Why is that a problem you ask? She doesn't believe it...she wants to be in DC, NYC, or Cali...or even Africa. I try to stress the importance of starting on a local level and gaining ground/momentum and experience, THEN getting into the perfect job.
I don't really know what to say. Her family is here and is really excited that she has finally come home (she has been gone 3 years after college across seas, travelling) and I have, basically, pledged to my boss (very small firm I am helping him grow) that I will stick around for at least 2 years before I start my own (which I am already in the process of doing, but hoping by the 2 year mark I can make it my sole source of income).
I try to listen and I would love to follow but I can't. I don't want to hold her back. I don't want to tell her that I think it is selfish and she has to choose to be an adult at some point in life. I don't want to tell her this because if I say this, then it is going against all I stand for. I have let no one dictate my future and whether I am successful or not (told me I would never go to college, once I started the college path then they told me I would never get into the one I wanted, then once I did get in they told me I would never get the money, then once I got the scholarship they told me I would never make the grades, etc...).
I have to stay here for a bit longer. I don't want to lose her. Advice?
I come to you guys more than I go to my best friends, haha.
Any and all accepted and appreciated.
Best,
Josh
Dislike ads? Become a Fastlane member:
Subscribe today and surround yourself with winners and millionaire mentors, not those broke friends who only want to drink beer and play video games. :-)
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts
Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.
You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.
- Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
- MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
- Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
- Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."— User Richard Peck
"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?
