The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Training & online learning company

Anything related to matters of the mind

Wiezel

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
109%
Oct 15, 2018
The Netherlands
Well I did the most scariest thing ever in a while.
I've contacted my old manager on LinkedIn (he's CEO of a logistics company).

I've asked him what type of training they currently offer or what kind of training they need.
I explained him that most of the time existing training is boring, not exciting and doesn't match the vision of the company itself.

I think there's a good way of implementing my own company in there. Making training/courses for logistic companies to train their staff in a way it's exciting, joyful and also motivates them because the training is connected to the company (their visions etc.)

Still very scary because I've no idea where this is going... got no plan at all right now or how it will work out.. How do I proceed from now? Let's say they do need improvement or a new training? How do I do it with the costs? Do I need to learn coding websites all by myself etc.?

It applies to the CENTS commandments so that's a positive thing.

Any ideas or comments on this from you guys?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Jeff Noel

Go all in.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
219%
Oct 26, 2018
Quebec, Canada
How do I proceed from now? Let's say they do need improvement or a new training? How do I do it with the costs? Do I need to learn coding websites all by myself etc.?

What's your plan ? How did you envision solving their training issues ? If it needs a website, then you'll need a website. If it needs video training, there's already decent platforms for video courses (something like this: Create and Sell Your Own Online Courses | Teachable). If it needs physical content (training manuals), you can write them using Word and have pay someone on Fiverr to do a book cover, then find a publisher.

To deal with the cost, you are probably charging that person to redo his business training material, right ? It's going to save him countless training hours from another employee's time.

Do you need to learn coding ? As MJ says, you don't get rich reading books on how to get rich, you get rich reading books on how to solve your actual problem. If it's coding, so be it !

ned.ryerson

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Nov 14, 2018
The first thing you need to do is assess their current capabilities and capacities around training their people.

Training is the transference of knowledge. So you have to make a determination of whether knowledge current exists. The more their knowledge management is a mess the more there’s an opportunity for you to provide incremental improvement. The worst-case scenario knowledge is in people’s head and is only transferred verbally just prior to someone retiring or being fired. The best-case scenario they have a culture of knowledge management practitioners having implemented formal knowledge management platform with high adoption of utilization based on standards, guidelines, and best practices.

If the client is in the worst-case scenario the first thing you need to do is to develop a program (not a project). This program will set to instill a new culture of knowledge management within the organization. It will start by creating a communication plan of expectations from leadership about this new program. You as a facilitator will then go to key people throughout the organization that is known for having specific industry and company knowledge. You will work with them to get that knowledge out of their heads and into forms that can be shared. The easiest way to do this is to create a wiki that covers people, process, and the product (or service). You fill out the information based off of an outline of who, what, where, when, how, and why.

Another element of this is getting in org chart that specifies titles, roles, and responsibilities. This will show where there is either alignment or misalignment from knowledge to how the organization needs to operate. The Delta is where either to yourself or by bringing other subject matter experts, you can provide skills training.

There’s more to it than this but it should be a start…

Wiezel

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
109%
Oct 15, 2018
The Netherlands
What's your plan ? How did you envision solving their training issues ? If it needs a website, then you'll need a website. If it needs video training, there's already decent platforms for video courses (something like this: Create and Sell Your Own Online Courses | Teachable). If it needs physical content (training manuals), you can write them using Word and have pay someone on Fiverr to do a book cover, then find a publisher.

To deal with the cost, you are probably charging that person to redo his business training material, right ? It's going to save him countless training hours from another employee's time.

Do you need to learn coding ? As MJ says, you don't get rich reading books on how to get rich, you get rich reading books on how to solve your actual problem. If it's coding, so be it !

Thank you for your reply.
The vision is to create a program where all there knowledge will be stored and is available for their co-workers. There will be quizzes in a way it’s fun to learn.

What I’ve experienced in my workfield they just drop a book on me ‘read this and make the test’, nobody gets excited about that.

My idea can be compared to Lessonly, it’s a program for companies where they easily can create their own courses or the supplier makes the courses based on their knowledge what the best way is to train people.

Wiezel

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
109%
Oct 15, 2018
The Netherlands
The first thing you need to do is assess their current capabilities and capacities around training their people.

Training is the transference of knowledge. So you have to make a determination of whether knowledge current exists. The more their knowledge management is a mess the more there’s an opportunity for you to provide incremental improvement. The worst-case scenario knowledge is in people’s head and is only transferred verbally just prior to someone retiring or being fired. The best-case scenario they have a culture of knowledge management practitioners having implemented formal knowledge management platform with high adoption of utilization based on standards, guidelines, and best practices.

If the client is in the worst-case scenario the first thing you need to do is to develop a program (not a project). This program will set to instill a new culture of knowledge management within the organization. It will start by creating a communication plan of expectations from leadership about this new program. You as a facilitator will then go to key people throughout the organization that is known for having specific industry and company knowledge. You will work with them to get that knowledge out of their heads and into forms that can be shared. The easiest way to do this is to create a wiki that covers people, process, and the product (or service). You fill out the information based off of an outline of who, what, where, when, how, and why.

Another element of this is getting in org chart that specifies titles, roles, and responsibilities. This will show where there is either alignment or misalignment from knowledge to how the organization needs to operate. The Delta is where either to yourself or by bringing other subject matter experts, you can provide skills training.

There’s more to it than this but it should be a start…

Thank you for your reply as well.
I replied to someone else his comment, it explains it a bit better and also connects to your reply :).

ned.ryerson

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Nov 14, 2018
Thank you for your reply.
The vision is to create a program where all there knowledge will be stored and is available for their co-workers. There will be quizzes in a way it’s fun to learn.

What I’ve experienced in my workfield they just drop a book on me ‘read this and make the test’, nobody gets excited about that.

My idea can be compared to Lessonly, it’s a program for companies where they easily can create their own courses or the supplier makes the courses based on their knowledge what the best way is to train people.
The training platform market is played out. >> BE THE TRAINER <<

Wiezel

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
109%
Oct 15, 2018
The Netherlands
The training platform market is played out. >> BE THE TRAINER <<

Based on?
If I compare it to what I’ve experienced there’s plenty of space to improve.

Boring books, boring tests, stuff you’ll never deal with again. To me this doesn’t sound like ‘platform market is played out’.

Jeff Noel

Go all in.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
219%
Oct 26, 2018
Quebec, Canada
Based on?
If I compare it to what I’ve experienced there’s plenty of space to improve.

Boring books, boring tests, stuff you’ll never deal with again. To me this doesn’t sound like ‘platform market is played out’.
An LMS (Learning Management System) could be really useful to you then. Take a look at Moodle (Moodle - Open-source learning platform | Moodle.org). It's free. I personnally use it to run my University's online learning platform.
It's open-source and there's a huge, helpful developer community.

You can create courses (different trainings) containing documents, data, files, lessons, homeworks, quizzes (exams), etc. There's a final note and you can go as far as implementing Moodle's AI capabilities to predict the weak points and strengths of the students (or "employees").

It's not the only LMS out there, I know VIA LMS is brand new and really user friendly for both admins and students, but the website and documentation is not all translated yet (it's in French right now, they just started the English version).

ned.ryerson

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Nov 14, 2018
Based on?
If I compare it to what I’ve experienced there’s plenty of space to improve. Boring books, boring tests, stuff you’ll never deal with again. To me, this doesn’t sound like ‘platform market is played out’.

Do not confuse the execution of training programs with a lack of training tools, technologies, methodologies, and techniques...

Give me these details:
  • market location: US, EU, Asia
  • market type: industry/sector
  • market size: Is this SMB or Enterprise
  • knowledge area: people, process, product
The more specifics you provide the better.

LuckyPup

Opportunity + Preparation = Success
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Aug 2, 2012
Midwest USA
Well I did the most scariest thing ever in a while.
I've contacted my old manager on LinkedIn (he's CEO of a logistics company).

I've asked him what type of training they currently offer or what kind of training they need.
I explained him that most of the time existing training is boring, not exciting and doesn't match the vision of the company itself.

I think there's a good way of implementing my own company in there. Making training/courses for logistic companies to train their staff in a way it's exciting, joyful and also motivates them because the training is connected to the company (their visions etc.)

Still very scary because I've no idea where this is going... got no plan at all right now or how it will work out.. How do I proceed from now? Let's say they do need improvement or a new training? How do I do it with the costs? Do I need to learn coding websites all by myself etc.?

It applies to the CENTS commandments so that's a positive thing.

Any ideas or comments on this from you guys?
BOOM! Did you know this when you posted the "Finding a Need" topic? Methinks you did. Use Slideshare, Teachable or a similar tech to create the training. Create written content, repurpose into audio and video.

Paladin

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
379%
Oct 23, 2018
You are making the right decision. Sell the product and then make it. This will ensure you never waste time making a product that nobody needs.

Close this contract and then save all your training and assets to resell to similar clients with similar needs.

Use this first job to fund your product development!

Wiezel

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
109%
Oct 15, 2018
The Netherlands
Do not confuse the execution of training programs with a lack of training tools, technologies, methodologies, and techniques...

Give me these details:
  • market location: US, EU, Asia
  • market type: industry/sector
  • market size: Is this SMB or Enterprise
  • knowledge area: people, process, product
The more specifics you provide the better.

1) Europe
2) Logistic company / shipping agent
3) It’s SMB but grow potential to enterprise
4) Focus is on arranging good pickup from supplier, ship goods, customs, arrange transport to customer who ordered it.

ned.ryerson

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Nov 14, 2018
1) Europe
4) Focus is on arranging good pickup from supplier, ship goods, customs, arrange transport to customer who ordered it.
My advice absolutely stands go with an off-the-shelf LMS solution and be a Knowledge Management Consultant.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Wiezel

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
109%
Oct 15, 2018
The Netherlands
I took a look at all the sites mentioned in this thread.
It's all looking very good but English only, I want to offer it in Dutch.

Some of them offer specific courses on standard topics, I want to create a course/training for a company only which is all about their jobs and requirments. No standard 'learn how to pitch' courses.

One thing I'm thinking of is how to process all information a company already has available for their current training methods? Do I strip it all down and make it available in a training for them? Do they access the program and they should be given the option to create the training themselves?

What's more logical? I offer a program where they can implement their information and make their own training?

OR

Do I offer a program, take all their information and develop a training for them?

Amro

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Oct 5, 2018
Schoorl
1) Europe

Add process optimization to the order and your well on your way. I had a similar idea in mind but I decide to go into the shipping itself. Well done my friend. Keep going. If you need some inside info let me know.

Wiezel

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
109%
Oct 15, 2018
The Netherlands
Aaarghh so frustrating.
Had some contact with some developers for a website/software and estimated costs can be around $40/$50k... waaaaay out of my budget zone... that’s demotivating.

Jeff Noel

Go all in.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
219%
Oct 26, 2018
Quebec, Canada
Aaarghh so frustrating.
Had some contact with some developers for a website/software and estimated costs can be around $40/$50k... waaaaay out of my budget zone... that’s demotivating.
You don't need a website right now, since you got a hot lead that's ready to convert. They want the product, you just need to be able to make it.

Do you already have the resources at hand to develop training videos/documents in a professionnal manner ? Find that, read more about it, get info from people in the video recording field (lighting, audio, position in the frame, etc.) and once you got that ready, make a list of all the topics that need to be covered in videos.

Split the different topics or group them depending on the training need.

Record 1 video. The intro video. "Hi, welcome to Company X ! The following videos will teach you Y, Z, A and B. Start watching the next video to get started right away!".

How was it ? Hey, you just recorded your first video! The next one will be as easy !
If you need to record computer screen contents, the Windows 10 Gaming mode can record the screen quite easily.

Another alternative (Windows/Linux/OSX), is the OBS Studio software (free and open-source - Open Broadcaster Software | Home) which is used by most streamers all around the world... it has a "record" function that you can use even if you don't want to stream. It records as MP4 or MKV files, and you can use the "File > Convert" option to change that to anything else once the recording is done. It can also record external audio (microphone).

Go step by step. Focus on the roadtrip and enjoy all the places you visit on your way, don't keep your eyes only on the destination.

Wiezel

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
109%
Oct 15, 2018
The Netherlands
You don't need a website right now, since you got a hot lead that's ready to convert. They want the product, you just need to be able to make it.

Do you already have the resources at hand to develop training videos/documents in a professionnal manner ? Find that, read more about it, get info from people in the video recording field (lighting, audio, position in the frame, etc.) and once you got that ready, make a list of all the topics that need to be covered in videos.

Split the different topics or group them depending on the training need.

Record 1 video. The intro video. "Hi, welcome to Company X ! The following videos will teach you Y, Z, A and B. Start watching the next video to get started right away!".

How was it ? Hey, you just recorded your first video! The next one will be as easy !
If you need to record computer screen contents, the Windows 10 Gaming mode can record the screen quite easily.

Another alternative (Windows/Linux/OSX), is the OBS Studio software (free and open-source - Open Broadcaster Software | Home) which is used by most streamers all around the world... it has a "record" function that you can use even if you don't want to stream. It records as MP4 or MKV files, and you can use the "File > Convert" option to change that to anything else once the recording is done. It can also record external audio (microphone).

Go step by step. Focus on the roadtrip and enjoy all the places you visit on your way, don't keep your eyes only on the destination.

Thank you once again for your reply.
This is for a further moment, currently I'm focussing on converting existing material to a central place which has an easy lay out, easy to understand and where managers can track the co-workers progress.

Learning platform, too expensive

Check the thread above, it's mine as well. Explains it a bit better.

StompingAcorns

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
269%
Dec 11, 2015
Southeastern U.S.
One thing I'm thinking of is how to process all information a company already has available for their current training methods? Do I strip it all down and make it available in a training for them? Do they access the program and they should be given the option to create the training themselves?

What's more logical? I offer a program where they can implement their information and make their own training?

OR

Do I offer a program, take all their information and develop a training for them?
I think these may not be the best questions to ask at this stage. You might be better off focusing the conversation with your prospect on questions like this, to define the Need:
  • What kind of training system/process/options are you using today?
  • What do your current training options lack? (Content? Delivery system? Flexibility? Interaction? Engagement/entertainment? Delivery methods (online, push v. pull, on site, off site (in person), written, etc.)
  • What needs are being met by your current options?
  • What needs are not being met?
  • What do you like about your current training options?
  • What do you dislike about them?
  • Do you want a system that is flexible and allows your staff to create their own, or do you want it already written so it minimizes the time required by internal staff?
  • Which changes to your current options would be critical and worth investing in v. nice to have?
  • On a scale of 1 to 5, how important is it that the training reflect your company's specific vision? Is it important enough to pay extra for incorporating that, or would branding it with your logo be sufficient?
  • etc.
Some of them offer specific courses on standard topics, I want to create a course/training for a company only which is all about their jobs and requirments. No standard 'learn how to pitch' courses.
Not sure what this means, but it sounds like you've identified a potential Need. The question is, does your client Need that and think meeting that Need is worth investing in/paying for? Can you convince him/her why they would need it?

Food for thought...

justacar

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
408%
Oct 27, 2018
Thank you once again for your reply.
This is for a further moment, currently I'm focussing on converting existing material to a central place which has an easy lay out, easy to understand and where managers can track the co-workers progress.

Learning platform, too expensive

Check the thread above, it's mine as well. Explains it a bit better.

Hi, I'm one the same playground, but different industry and target group. So I'll share my learnings:

1) you don't need to develop a website. Look at learndash or accessally for wordpress. Get a wordpress hosting. Install both. The resources to learn how to do this are online, for free. Just google it. It cost me around 300€ to set up everything.

2) before you do 1, ask one of the possible customers / companies to consult them on it, offer the learning product for free. that way, you can develop it and learn from the customer, they get value for free and you get a testimonial and valuable insights at the end.

3) don't pay anything to developers before you generate any revenue. as you say yourself, if the current state sucks, any little improvement can be great. so simply going from paper book to mobile website could be an improvement. that's something you can do yourself (see 1). then, once the money rolls in, you can start adding new tools, get designers, freelance coders etc. do it bit by bit.

justacar

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
408%
Oct 27, 2018
fyi, something I have seen becoming really popular lately are virtual summits. think of those as 10-20 different pre-recorded Webinars created by thought leaders in a specific niche. audience members pay access to it & can watch and chat at the same time (similar to youtube or twitch). if you could get a bunch of people in the logistics field to record webinars with you & then put all of those together to a summit, you could create your own conference and use that to sell the product you want to build.

all you would need is linkedin to invite people and webinarjam.com at 470$ per year. they have a 30day money back guarantee, so you could even get it & use the 30 days to get your speakers together. if it doesn't work out, no harm done. all you need to spend is 30 days of your time. if you can get people interested in 30 days, just invest the money and go for it. you could also just jump in with 2K and go for Hosting a Virtual Summit has never been easier | Virtual Summits

you'll probably have to work your a$$ of for half a year to get a good virtual conference organized, but tickets usually go for 200-400$. even if you only have 100 people attending, you could make the revenue you need to pay those developers that are out of your budget right now.

better yet, invest those 20K to do a 6month coding bootcamp and become a developer. then build whatever you want

Jeff Noel

Go all in.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
219%
Oct 26, 2018
Quebec, Canada
better yet, invest those 20K to do a 6month coding bootcamp and become a developer. then build whatever you want
The "build whatever you want" part is more complicated. It's easy to have an idea, but executing it is what 99.8% of developers won't do (including me).

justacar

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
408%
Oct 27, 2018
The "build whatever you want" part is more complicated. It's easy to have an idea, but executing it is what 99.8% of developers won't do (including me).

don't know about you, but the developers i know (including me) didn't execute because they were too comfortable with just making money working for others. those that did try to execute failed because they were too much in love with the technical aspects. i did the same mistake. now i'm only focusing on the business value of it because i know i can build whatever needs to be build, or figure it out, or get people who can do it.

ItsAJackal

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Oct 16, 2018
An LMS (Learning Management System) could be really useful to you then. Take a look at Moodle (Moodle - Open-source learning platform | Moodle.org). It's free. I personnally use it to run my University's online learning platform.
It's open-source and there's a huge, helpful developer community.

Wow I've never seen Moodle before. I'm going to have to play around with this a bit.

ned.ryerson

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Nov 14, 2018
I agree completely with Jeff. Deploy an open-source platform and focus on building valuable business content and delivery services. The open-source platform support globalization and localization, meaning different languages. It's the same recommendations Business Leaders have been giving you for days now...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.