The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Total Newbie, with £3000 ($4,700)

Anything related to matters of the mind

AJ Wright

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Nov 13, 2014
Scotland
Little background - I'm a 23 year old Student, 3/4 of the way through a University degree in Forensic Psychobiology, and living in Scotland. I have around about £3000 in the bank (could probably get it up to about £5,000 if I got a side job for the remainder of my degree).

Problem is, I suffer a lot with anxiety issues and slight depressive episodes. Although I'm learning to deal with these, I can't help but feel like i'm never going to make it.
Everyone on here is talking about coding, marketing, etc, and to be honest, I know very little about any of these things. I have no idea what area to focus on, if i'm to begin my journey down the 'Fastlane'. I feel like I have no skills as of yet that will get me to where I want to be.

Am I alone in feeling like this?

Also, is there anything I could look into in the meantime that my money might be useful for?

Thanks for reading.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

WorldImperator

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
80%
May 29, 2014
I know very little about any of these things. I have no idea what area to focus on, if i'm to begin my journey down the 'Fastlane'. I feel like I have no skills as of yet that will get me to where I want to be.

First of all, do you know where do you want to be?
If yes, tell us please.

TheHawk

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
54%
Mar 7, 2014
Little background - I'm a 23 year old Student, 3/4 of the way through a University degree in Forensic Psychobiology, and living in Scotland. I have around about £3000 in the bank (could probably get it up to about £5,000 if I got a side job for the remainder of my degree).

Problem is, I suffer a lot with anxiety issues and slight depressive episodes. Although I'm learning to deal with these, I can't help but feel like i'm never going to make it.
Everyone on here is talking about coding, marketing, etc, and to be honest, I know very little about any of these things. I have no idea what area to focus on, if i'm to begin my journey down the 'Fastlane'. I feel like I have no skills as of yet that will get me to where I want to be.

Also, is there anything I could look into in the meantime that my money might be useful for?

Thanks for reading.

Hi mate,

Welcome to the forum. What do you mean by "make it", what is your end goal? Not necessarily in money terms but where do you want to be/what would you define as the finish line?
You need some type of end goal in mind to know how close you are.

What I've really had to drill into my mind is that this isn't a sprint, it's a marathron. By understanding that this is long-term and most likely not some short term achievement, you relieve some pressure and negativity.

Before starting to learn particular skills, have a good read around on the forum. Particuarly the Gold threads and most viewed, lots of information to be gained. Then start looking for a need/way to create value, once discovered you can start learning aboout coding/marketing or whatever and apply it to your venture. It will mean so much more when you can apply these skills directly as you learn. No one starts with expert knowledge on any skill, it's just something gained over time.

Save the money, read up on stuff. Once you've found a way to create value that you're confident with, then invest in your idea.

AJ Wright

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Nov 13, 2014
Scotland
First of all, do you know where do you want to be?
If yes, tell us please.

Where I want to be?

In 5 - 10 years time, I want to be lying on a beach in Thailand, with a large passive income, or enough money to last me the rest of my life, however long that may be. I want the time to travel, where and when I want, without fear of overspending. Also, this may be a long shot, but i'd love to buy my parents a nice villa somewhere for them to retire.

What I don't want is to be stuck in the UK, working 9 - 5 (even if I enjoyed the job).

AJ Wright

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Nov 13, 2014
Scotland
Hi mate,

Welcome to the forum. What do you mean by "make it", what is your end goal? Not necessarily in money terms but where do you want to be/what would you define as the finish line?
You need some type of end goal in mind to know how close you are.

What I've really had to drill into my mind is that this isn't a sprint, it's a marathron. By understanding that this is long-term and most likely not some short term achievement, you relieve some pressure and negativity.

Before starting to learn particular skills, have a good read around on the forum. Particuarly the Gold threads and most viewed, lots of information to be gained. Then start looking for a need/way to create value, once discovered you can start learning aboout coding/marketing or whatever and apply it to your venture. It will mean so much more when you can apply these skills directly as you learn. No one starts with expert knowledge on any skill, it's just something gained over time.

Save the money, read up on stuff. Once you've found a way to create value that you're confident with, then invest in your idea.

Thanks for the reply.

I left a reply above on where I want to be 5 - 10 years from now, although i'm not sure if it's a good 'finish line' to have.

I'll look into the forum a bit more over the coming weeks, and finish 'The Millionaires Faslane' (only about half way through). Wish me luck.

TheHawk

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
54%
Mar 7, 2014
Where I want to be?

In 5 - 10 years time, I want to be lying on a beach in Thailand, with a large passive income, or enough money to last me the rest of my life, however long that may be. I want the time to travel, where and when I want, without fear of overspending. Also, this may be a long shot, but i'd love to buy my parents a nice villa somewhere for them to retire.

What I don't want is to be stuck in the UK, working 9 - 5 (even if I enjoyed the job).

You'll find that's what the defining goal is on this forum and in TMF , acheiving financial freedom and being able to do and be where you want without restriction. Take your time with the book, there's so much great info to take in. Learn as much as you can and most importantly, apply it to your life.

I'm still very new and at the beginning, but I know where I want to be. Working the 9-5 has only reinforced this and I've finally begun to take action to create the path. Even though I hate the concept, there can be a lot learnt from working a day job. Let me know how you get on.

townhaus

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Feb 21, 2012
London

Thanks for reading.

If you want to focus online, learning to create professional websites isnt too daunting. Learning how to customise a wordpress website is a good way to start.

Get Right

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
477%
Jul 16, 2013
Sunny Florida
If I told you it would take a year to see results. A year of hard scary work with no immediate gratifications. A year of others doubting you. A year where mentors, banks, family and friends don't take you seriously. A year where you don't "see" your path (or any path). A year peppered with failures. A year that absolutely proves that there are no shortcuts. A year that you can't describe, mark with achievements or see in your bank account.

Would you still do it? Would you still put that first foot forward? Would you get real with yourself, find and fix the broken parts? Would you sacrifice?

If you were willing to do it, what would stop you? Would you let excuses stop you? Would you let other's opinions stop you? Would you let a failed mentorship stop you? Would you let some other company/bank/competitor stop you?

For me, a year was worth it.

...what's it worth to you?

rest of thread here: https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/community/threads/today-is-my-1-year-tmf-anniversary.53436/

Last edited by a moderator:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.