The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Top 3 self-development books

For any book discussion

K1 Lambo

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Oct 11, 2021
Oslo
What are your top 3 self-development books?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Miketing

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
May 7, 2014
Obstacle Is The Way by Ryan Holiday
How To Fail At Everything And Still Win Big by Scott Adams
4 Hour Work Week by Tim Ferriss

David Borodin

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Oct 1, 2021
1. The Only Skill That Matters by Jonathan A. Levi
2. The Success Principles by Jack Canfield
3. Think and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill
Im sorry, did I hear "Think and grow rich"?
Isnt it a "Law of attraction" type of book?

EternalStudent

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Apr 4, 2020
Australia
The idea is that your thoughts influence your actions and hence your end destination. Therefore, by visualising in great detail the things you will attain in the future, your mind will consciously or unconsciously consider it in every decision you make.

K1 Lambo

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Oct 11, 2021
Oslo
Mine, In no order:
Atlas Shrugged
Flip the Script
Fast Lane
That's an interesting choice. Have never heard about the first two. What are they about?

K1 Lambo

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Oct 11, 2021
Oslo
1. The Only Skill That Matters by Jonathan A. Levi
2. The Success Principles by Jack Canfield
3. Think and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill
Think and Grow Rich is a classic one!

K1 Lambo

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Oct 11, 2021
Oslo
The idea is that your thoughts influence your actions and hence your end destination. Therefore, by visualising in great detail the things you will attain in the future, your mind will consciously or unconsciously consider it in every decision you make.
Yeah, these things go hand in hand. When you to bring consciousness to what you want and you remind yourself about it constantly, your mind is naturally going to gravitate towards your vision by giving you new ideas and bring awareness to resources you might not have been aware of before.

It's no voodoo stuff, it's just how our brain works. It's so simple yet so complicated at the same time. There many crazy stories to this stuff. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think science has only discovered 10% of what our brain really is for, and the rest is unknown. It sounds very blant and weird to the regular person, but this stuff works. Of course, you got supplement it with work as well.

Everything starts with the belief though. If you don't have any belief, you're not even going to start. There may be fears in the beginning. But as time goes on, by you working towards your goals and have that end goal in mind, you're naturally going to start believing in it. At some point, you just expect to win, so when it happens it's no surprise.

Because there's a big difference between winning sometimes(or every now and then) and winning everyday. Winning doesn't necessarily mean that you make millions of dollars everyday, bang bitches or drive a Lamborghini(although it can for you). It starts with holding yourself accountable, by disciplining your mind to do things every day, or doing the work. It can be something as simple as reading for 1 hour everyday, going to the gym 5 times a week, teaching yourself a new skill before/after work, consciously improving your social circle etc.

K1 Lambo

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Oct 11, 2021
Oslo
These things are inner twined. They complement each other. Everything starts with having a vision for your life.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
So, Let me get this straight,

You guys believe in the "Law of Attraction?"

If yes, then I am laughing

I am laughing at you laughing at a book you haven't even read.

Since it is nearly 100 years old it is a little outdated for sure but overall the principles and ideas hold up well.

And it actually talks a lot about action too...

"The time will never be “just right.” Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command, and better tools will be found as you go along."

Ismail941

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
May 7, 2019
The Simplified has been streamlined for you hommie:

1) MJ Demarcos Books
2) Naval Ravikant Books
3) Seth Godins Books

HabitsCampaigner

Jim Miotke
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Jan 6, 2021
Monterey, CA
(It is worth your time to watch this!)
Don't waste your time listening to anyone who uses the word "cult" when not referring to a true cult, or without reading the book and trying out the strategies. It's simply sensationalism trying to use fear to get a reaction. And it cuts out a big part of the world in an effort to simplify it so you can feel safe and certain. Be bold. Explore. Or at least try it before you bash it.

The War of Art
The Bible (or sacred wisdom book of your choice)
Power vs. Force

David Borodin

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Oct 1, 2021
Don't waste your time listening to anyone who uses the word "cult" when not referring to a true cult, or without reading the book and trying out the strategies. It's simply sensationalism trying to use fear to get a reaction. And it cuts out a big part of the world in an effort to simplify it so you can feel safe and certain. Be bold. Explore. Or at least try it before you bash it.

The War of Art
Power vs. Force
I am not religous or something simular to it,

I am just saying that JUST believing something will change NOTHING.

K1 Lambo

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Oct 11, 2021
Oslo
I am laughing at you laughing at a book you haven't even read.

Since it is nearly 100 years old it is a little outdated for sure but overall the principles and ideas hold up well.

And it actually talks a lot about action too...

"The time will never be “just right.” Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command, and better tools will be found as you go along."
This. It's like trying to explain meditation to a person who's been an alcoholic his whole life.

K1 Lambo

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Oct 11, 2021
Oslo

The War of Art
Power vs. Force
War of Art is a good one. Business is a war in itself.

K1 Lambo

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Oct 11, 2021
Oslo
The Simplified has been streamlined for you hommie:

1) MJ Demarcos Books
2) Naval Ravikant Books
3) Seth Godins Books
For sure hommie, MJ's books are a no brainer . What are Naval's books about? Surprised no one has mentioned Tony Robbin's books so far.

Raven S

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Oct 19, 2021
Norway
There are books that in my personal time line were pivotal. And that would probably be Eat that Frog ( Tracey), No Excuses(same) The War of Art (Pressfield) and Awaken the Giant Within (Robbins).

But then I really can't ignore how important the Analects of Confusius has been, and later on the Perennial Way. Here we have not only books that help you grow, but that you are hard pressed to ever "deplete". Included in the Perennial Way, you of find the Dao de Jing - and boy oh, boy, if you have not allready fallen in love with this piece of human knowledge, you are missing out I would say.

Then there are those books, that you read again, and again and again, always finding seemingly new ideas hidden in plain sight. This is truly a marvelous feat, to create a book like that - where you can grow as a person, and go back to the same book over and over again, and find to your surprise, it was waiting for you to grow, so you could understand it anew. Yeah, - Im talking of Think and Grow Rich here.

Talking about hidden in plain sight, - a recent fav of mine, is the little book called the Power of Awareness by Neville Goodard. - All of a sudden you have a framework to help you decipher, the Bible - as a system for personal growth. Without guys like Neville - thats a huge chunk of human knowledge that would have remained obscure to me.

And lastly - The Daily Stoic - This is just such a good idea - because it "takes time" - you are only allowed to read one page each day. Stoic philosophy is all about mastering life, whatever comes. Truly antifragile stuff!

When it comes to Zen - I find the little book dropping ashes on the Buddah, to be strangely facinating. Like, it truly did something funny to my brain, reading that book.
I have this thing, where I like to follow up on leads in books I read. So if one book I like reccomends another, I order it, and follow the rabbit, so to speak. And a true treasure trove, in this respect was Timmothy Ferris's books, Tools of Titans, and Tribe of Mentors. - the amount of good leads, to be found in those two books!.(..)

Lastly. When I read it - I went around poking people, to make them aware that I had just read a book destined to go into the top 5 list of the decade - and its Principles by Ray Dalio. I truly think each and every one of us, should spend a few months, learning everything Ray tries to tell us, and we shall all be of huge benefit to our society for doing so. The way he brings jungian typology, and uses is as a pivotal thing in how his business was run - is in my humble opinion - the way of the future, companies that understands this - will run circles around those who don't.

Raven S

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Oct 19, 2021
Norway
  1. "Tiny Habits: The Small Changes That Change Everything" by BJ Fogg PhD
  2. "Influence, New and Expanded: The Psychology of Persuasion" by Robert B Cialdini PhD
  3. "Meditations: A New Translation" by Marcus Aurelius
This is a very nice trio of books! Influence is a great book, that points a finger towards the dangers of not knowing about all the cognitive biases running in your head.
I honestly don't think you can truly succeed, if you have no clue what these biases are.
I first encountered the consept in Poor Charlies Almanack, by Charlie Munger and later in Thinking Fast and Slow. Encountering sales people, was never the same after reading Influnence by Cialdini.

Memento Mori - embrace Kaizen before its to late =)

Hitch-hiker

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Jul 23, 2019
Poland
- Fastlane
- The 7 habits of highly effective people
- screw it let's do it

Mathuin

Provide Relative-Value or Die Trying
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
360%
Dec 20, 2020
Belfast, Northern Ireland
My favorite Business/ Self-Development book is How to Get Rich by Felix Dennis.

His rant close to the end (Pg295) is one of the best passages I've read in a book.

(Yes, I know I have underlined way too much of this)
IMG_2060.jpg

IMG_2061.jpg

IMG_2062.jpg

K1 Lambo

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Oct 11, 2021
Oslo
My favorite Business/ Self-Development book is How to Get Rich by Felix Dennis.

His rant close to the end (Pg295) is one of the best passages I've read in a book.

(Yes, I know I have underlined way too much of this)
View attachment 40551

View attachment 40552

View attachment 40553
Awesome! Never heard of this book before, it looks very old school!

K1 Lambo

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Oct 11, 2021
Oslo
There are books that in my personal time line were pivotal. And that would probably be Eat that Frog ( Tracey), No Excuses(same) The War of Art (Pressfield) and Awaken the Giant Within (Robbins).

But then I really can't ignore how important the Analects of Confusius has been, and later on the Perennial Way. Here we have not only books that help you grow, but that you are hard pressed to ever "deplete". Included in the Perennial Way, you of find the Dao de Jing - and boy oh, boy, if you have not allready fallen in love with this piece of human knowledge, you are missing out I would say.

Then there are those books, that you read again, and again and again, always finding seemingly new ideas hidden in plain sight. This is truly a marvelous feat, to create a book like that - where you can grow as a person, and go back to the same book over and over again, and find to your surprise, it was waiting for you to grow, so you could understand it anew. Yeah, - Im talking of Think and Grow Rich here.

Talking about hidden in plain sight, - a recent fav of mine, is the little book called the Power of Awareness by Neville Goodard. - All of a sudden you have a framework to help you decipher, the Bible - as a system for personal growth. Without guys like Neville - thats a huge chunk of human knowledge that would have remained obscure to me.

And lastly - The Daily Stoic - This is just such a good idea - because it "takes time" - you are only allowed to read one page each day. Stoic philosophy is all about mastering life, whatever comes. Truly antifragile stuff!

When it comes to Zen - I find the little book dropping ashes on the Buddah, to be strangely facinating. Like, it truly did something funny to my brain, reading that book.
I have this thing, where I like to follow up on leads in books I read. So if one book I like reccomends another, I order it, and follow the rabbit, so to speak. And a true treasure trove, in this respect was Timmothy Ferris's books, Tools of Titans, and Tribe of Mentors. - the amount of good leads, to be found in those two books!.(..)

Lastly. When I read it - I went around poking people, to make them aware that I had just read a book destined to go into the top 5 list of the decade - and its Principles by Ray Dalio. I truly think each and every one of us, should spend a few months, learning everything Ray tries to tell us, and we shall all be of huge benefit to our society for doing so. The way he brings jungian typology, and uses is as a pivotal thing in how his business was run - is in my humble opinion - the way of the future, companies that understands this - will run circles around those who don't.
Principles is a very good one! And yes, there are not many books that are out there who have this ability to teach you new things over and over again. Think and Grow Rich is definitely one of those books. Awaken the Giant is great too. It's crazy how 30-100 year old books are much better than what people are releasing nowadays.

Mathuin

Provide Relative-Value or Die Trying
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
360%
Dec 20, 2020
Belfast, Northern Ireland
Awesome! Never heard of this book before, it looks very old school!
Old school to an extent but a lot of the advice in the book is timeless (Ownership, Delegation, Fallacy of the Great Idea etc) It was released in 2007 (i think). Felix founded over 200 magazines (The most popular being Maxim) and a lot of his wealth also came from the sale of MicroWarehouse. He died with his net worth being somewhere between £300-700 million.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xf-WSeFb_bU

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.