The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Top 1% ICOs

Anything related to investing, including crypto

GetShitDone

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Dec 20, 2012
Canada
There's a lot of talk in the Crypto world that most ICOs are scams or crap, even said by the Etherum founder himself.

With that said, have you found the needle in the haystack?

As we all come from entrepreneurial backgrounds, we can effectively screen the right ICOs to pass certain background checks such as: An experienced team, a low supply of coins, incredible technology with a strong demand going after a massive market, etc.

Surely this will help us in finding the top performing ICOs of the future.

Rather then just looking at existing Altcoins to invest in, I've also started to look into getting into ICOs at the very beginning with the most promising projects.

What's your opinion and experience on picking the "Top 1% ICOs" that produce the massive returns?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

jpmartin

Jedi Master
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
82%
Sep 7, 2013
Picking the 1% is like picking a needle in a haystack. Have you done venture capital investing or angel investing? Then you know it's hard, and to add to that - with ICOs you technically speaking have no rights whatsoever. For example, Tezos raise over $230 million and for whatever reason, they're now being sued.... best of luck who take them to court! Tezos imho was a brilliant idea, and I was tempted to invest, but didn't.

You'd be better off trading and investing in the listed cryptos.

GetShitDone

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Dec 20, 2012
Canada
Picking the 1% is like picking a needle in a haystack. Have you done venture capital investing or angel investing? Then you know it's hard, and to add to that - with ICOs you technically speaking have no rights whatsoever. For example, Tezos raise over $230 million and for whatever reason, they're now being sued.... best of luck who take them to court! Tezos imho was a brilliant idea, and I was tempted to invest, but didn't.

You'd be better off trading and investing in the listed cryptos.

Yes, have experience in angel investing and also dealing with VCs. Makes sense.

ICOs are the Wild West of the Wild West. If you get the right one, you see gigantic returns.

Its about picking the right team, analysing the entire ICO, and digging deep into the community to support it.

Sure, there's lots of bad ICOs. But every single existing alt coin in the top 20 has done an ICO before. And as the Crypto community has gotten more matured/self regulated, the ICOs are getting more sophisticated as well.

Some of the greatest blockchains to change our world haven't even ICO'd yet. Opportunity there to learn from missing the ICO boat on the XRP/ETH/IOTA/etc's of the world and get in there in 2018's newly more matured ICO market.

Depends on your risk appetite as well, but at the end of the day I believe ICOs are more developed in 2018 and what we need to do is combine that with heavy analysis to pick the best ones like any high risk/high reward investment.

ernesto50

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
72%
Oct 12, 2014
Yes, have experience in angel investing and also dealing with VCs. Makes sense.

ICOs are the Wild West of the Wild West. If you get the right one, you see gigantic returns.

Its about picking the right team, analysing the entire ICO, and digging deep into the community to support it.

Sure, there's lots of bad ICOs. But every single existing alt coin in the top 20 has done an ICO before. And as the Crypto community has gotten more matured/self regulated, the ICOs are getting more sophisticated as well.

Some of the greatest blockchains to change our world haven't even ICO'd yet. Opportunity there to learn from missing the ICO boat on the XRP/ETH/IOTA/etc's of the world and get in there in 2018's newly more matured ICO market.

Depends on your risk appetite as well, but at the end of the day I believe ICOs are more developed in 2018 and what we need to do is combine that with heavy analysis to pick the best ones like any high risk/high reward investment.

If I invest in ICOs i use the same criteria that I use when I invest into cryptos, I check for the following points:
  • team
  • advisors/investors
  • product/technology
  • roadmap
  • news/partnerships
  • ease of use/availability
With the exception of the availability one, you can background check A LOT of these points.
Have the founders had any successful projects in the past? Are big name investors invested? What problem does their product solve and more importantly is cryptocurrency/blockchain really the right approach for solving that problem? This is easily the question that most people get wrong because they WANT to believe into the idea/vision.

mguerra

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
124%
Mar 23, 2015
If I invest in ICOs i use the same criteria that I use when I invest into cryptos, I check for the following points:
  • team
  • advisors/investors
  • product/technology
  • roadmap
  • news/partnerships
  • ease of use/availability
With the exception of the availability one, you can background check A LOT of these points.
Have the founders had any successful projects in the past? Are big name investors invested? What problem does their product solve and more importantly is cryptocurrency/blockchain really the right approach for solving that problem? This is easily the question that most people get wrong because they WANT to believe into the idea/vision.

Solid post, brother. Thanks for that

ernesto50

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
72%
Oct 12, 2014
I agree with this list. In fact, I will rarely make a major investment in a pre-sale without someone on my team sitting down and talking to the CEO, the lead developer, the community manager, advisors and/or other people on the team.

We will verify that the experience espoused by the team is true (for example, my group actually caused an ICO to cancel when we determined that the founder lied about having a Harvard degree), we will verify that the levels the engineers say they are match with standard employee levels at major tech companies (for example, we want to see that the lead developer would be the equivalent of a lead developer at Google or Microsoft), we will look at the code in GitHub and get an idea of whether development is as far along as they say, we will go through the Whitepaper with a fine-toothed comb, etc.

That said, you list above actually misses the two biggest historical indicators of early success of a coin after the ICO:

1. The hard cap of the offering -- the lower the better. Most of the best performing coins within 2 months of ICO had a hard cap of less than $30M.

2. The ability for the team to get word out of their offering/product/coin. There's been a direct correlation between ICO success and the number the Telegram, Reddit and other social media subscribers to that project.

To illustrate point #2, a few of my friends whom I invest with have coined the term "Proof of Caring" to denote the ability for an inspired community to bring recognition, and ultimately, financial success to a crypto project. They are the founders of Quantstamp (QSP), which has proven out the Proof of Caring model (do some research on the success of their ICO/launch), and are getting ready to launch their next ICO, which has taken PoC to the next level (they currently have the largest crypto Telegram community, which will likely drive a successful ICO and a huge product launch).

In my opinion, the ability to implement PoC is one of the biggest indicators of whether a crypto company will have a successful ICO/launch...

Proof of Caring V2 Announcement – quantstamp – Medium

Thanks for the article, will give it a read!

I'm not sure whether I agree with the community numbers as a metric though. Telegram groups can be inflated, reddit can boast tons of followers without actual people working on the project (ie. everyone is hyped, nobody develops for the platform). But if we assume that the numbers are true and all these people are invested there is a very high likelihood that the numbers will go up, that I definitely agree with

I'll give the post a read and meditate on it to continue the conversation!

IGP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Aug 24, 2015
Absolutely... Buying subscribers to Telegram and Reddit groups hasn't been much of an issue so far, but that is most certainly going to change now that investors are using it as a metric for investing. Alexa ranking of the company sites is actually my favorite measure these days -- it's much harder to rig and it's been pretty reliable in terms of indication of interest immediately following an ICO.

You can rig Alexa rankings with bots, microworkers or cheap, useless traffic from FB AN, Native ads etc. relatively easy. Just an FYI.

powderhound100

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
179%
Apr 20, 2014
For example, Tezos raise over $230 million and for whatever reason, they're now being sued.... best of luck who take them to court! Tezos imho was a brilliant idea, and I was tempted to invest, but didn't.

You make some great points. However, Tezos came highly recommended to me in July when I was just getting into crypto. Through my in depth research I read multiple cases of people having concerns about the founders, saying they were sketchy etc. They also were taking way to much money imo. They might have a brilliant idea, but the red flags were there. With proper research, I don't think it's throwing a needle into a haystack.

To date, I have not actually invested in ICO's and have focused on listed crypto. However, ICO's seem like a huge opportunity and I am hoping to get into some good ones.

I have recently come across a few resources for ICO's:

The MM crypto team from Germany has a great spreadsheet as well as other resources. You'll have to ask for an invite, but worth checking out:

Google Sheets - create and edit spreadsheets online, for free.

They are starting to have more info in English as well for those of you that don't speak German

Ian Balina is an ICO investor who shares a lot of his work on different channels. He has a really great spreadsheet, I believe I first heard about this from @Ungodly, so all credit goes to him.

Ian Balina's ICO Report V4.6

Currently looking into Gonetwork, which is codename Canada on his spreadsheet.

ernesto50

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
72%
Oct 12, 2014
I agree with this list. In fact, I will rarely make a major investment in a pre-sale without someone on my team sitting down and talking to the CEO, the lead developer, the community manager, advisors and/or other people on the team.

We will verify that the experience espoused by the team is true (for example, my group actually caused an ICO to cancel when we determined that the founder lied about having a Harvard degree), we will verify that the levels the engineers say they are match with standard employee levels at major tech companies (for example, we want to see that the lead developer would be the equivalent of a lead developer at Google or Microsoft), we will look at the code in GitHub and get an idea of whether development is as far along as they say, we will go through the Whitepaper with a fine-toothed comb, etc.

That said, you list above actually misses the two biggest historical indicators of early success of a coin after the ICO:

1. The hard cap of the offering -- the lower the better. Most of the best performing coins within 2 months of ICO had a hard cap of less than $30M.

2. The ability for the team to get word out of their offering/product/coin. There's been a direct correlation between ICO success and the number the Telegram, Reddit and other social media subscribers to that project.

To illustrate point #2, a few of my friends whom I invest with have coined the term "Proof of Caring" to denote the ability for an inspired community to bring recognition, and ultimately, financial success to a crypto project. They are the founders of Quantstamp (QSP), which has proven out the Proof of Caring model (do some research on the success of their ICO/launch), and are getting ready to launch their next ICO, which has taken PoC to the next level (they currently have the largest crypto Telegram community, which will likely drive a successful ICO and a huge product launch).

In my opinion, the ability to implement PoC is one of the biggest indicators of whether a crypto company will have a successful ICO/launch...

I gave it a read this weekend and I like it a lot! I think this coupled with a certain vesting schedule for the founders/advisors/team makes a lot of sense and shows skin in the game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dassam

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
236%
Dec 17, 2013
Not sure if this is the aim of this thread, but is somebody into current ICO´s?

I´m looking into the Bee Token currently.

GSF

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Aug 25, 2012
Im looking into gluon, its an automotive blockchain ("tokenizing the intelligent connected Automotive market"), it will be the first ICO launched on the stratis platform, not much info has been released yet

Dots

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
70%
Aug 16, 2016

^^^This is exactly on point. I recently started looking into different ICOs and I've done a couple reviews, you can check them out here cryptoflorin (u/cryptoflorin) - Reddit

I am speechless how people are just throwing money at these ICOs not even blinking, just because someone related has done it. I am yet to invest in anything , I was looking into Wepower the other day and like the idea, plus where they are with the project ATM.

Squanchy

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
Dec 12, 2017
Australia
ICOs are very profitable if executed properly. I'm starting to look into what are good and bad ICO's and logically investing on them as one should.

GetShitDone

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Dec 20, 2012
Canada
Me and my partners have invested in 4 ICOs' pre-sales.

NEXO being the most recent.

You guys looking at any hot ones?

Also DM me if you want to connect on telegram.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.