- Joined
- Dec 14, 2014
- Messages
- 270
Rep Bank
$1,415
$1,415
User Power: 200%
Ok, here's the situation. I'm working a sales job. I took the job to get better at selling. This is an "earn while you learn" experience.
I see an angle. I see an opportunity to (maybe) apply leverage by prospecting an area my new colleagues may have overlooked. My idea is to test my theory locally by putting together a list and mailing a letter. If it bears fruit, national scale lists could be bought (locally I could do it from public records) and the whole process scaled up.
Here is my conundrum. Do I exercise my weak copy writing skills and write my own letter, or sub that out? Pro side of DIY, I am doing this whole thing to improve my skill set. Con being that if my letter sucks it would skew the results of my test run. If I get weak response, I won't know if it was my letter or if my target is off. By extension, if it flops with a bought letter it could be because the hired writer's work wasn't a good fit. Lots of variables.....
Should I dig out my copy of Cashvertising and write, or should I focus on the prospecting and closing and hire a writer?
All opinions welcome, but I know this is on me in the end. I am asking advice, and am grateful to get anything that I can weigh into my decision. In the end I own the choice I make. I'm mulling this over during the time it takes to get a list (which is mostly a matter of making the time to get it in between hustling and family life) then it's time to act.
What would you do? Why?
I see an angle. I see an opportunity to (maybe) apply leverage by prospecting an area my new colleagues may have overlooked. My idea is to test my theory locally by putting together a list and mailing a letter. If it bears fruit, national scale lists could be bought (locally I could do it from public records) and the whole process scaled up.
Here is my conundrum. Do I exercise my weak copy writing skills and write my own letter, or sub that out? Pro side of DIY, I am doing this whole thing to improve my skill set. Con being that if my letter sucks it would skew the results of my test run. If I get weak response, I won't know if it was my letter or if my target is off. By extension, if it flops with a bought letter it could be because the hired writer's work wasn't a good fit. Lots of variables.....
Should I dig out my copy of Cashvertising and write, or should I focus on the prospecting and closing and hire a writer?
All opinions welcome, but I know this is on me in the end. I am asking advice, and am grateful to get anything that I can weigh into my decision. In the end I own the choice I make. I'm mulling this over during the time it takes to get a list (which is mostly a matter of making the time to get it in between hustling and family life) then it's time to act.
What would you do? Why?
Dislike ads? Become a Fastlane member:
Subscribe today and surround yourself with winners and millionaire mentors, not those broke friends who only want to drink beer and play video games. :-)
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts
Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.
You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.
- Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
- MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
- Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
- Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."— User Richard Peck
"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?

