The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

To mold or not to mold...help is appreciated

JayB14

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Nov 4, 2020
Hey everyone. New to this forum. I recently started my own firearms accessories business. And I am looking for help from someone experienced in injection molding. My engineer hit a snag. We were primed to pull the trigger on the mold and decided to have one more round of 3d prints produced. The engineer was unhappy with a small thing and made a couple tweaks. Now the part seems to crack. Could we have reached the strength limit of the 3d print material and if we produce the product it will be fine or did he create a stress point now. The mold is $80k so big risk...

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Vadim26

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
192%
Nov 23, 2018
Vancouver, BC.
Hey everyone. New to this forum. I recently started my own firearms accessories business. And I am looking for help from someone experienced in injection molding. My engineer hit a snag. We were primed to pull the trigger on the mold and decided to have one more round of 3d prints produced. The engineer was unhappy with a small thing and made a couple tweaks. Now the part seems to crack. Could we have reached the strength limit of the 3d print material and if we produce the product it will be fine or did he create a stress point now. The mold is $80k so big risk...

I don’t know what your part is, how complicated it is or what it’s made from, but here’s my idea.

Have the part itself machined, and use it for your testing and getting feedback.

It might seem like a waste of money paying for this machining just to get 1 part, but you can get what you want for much less than $80k, and decide if injection moulds are worth pursuing.

JayB14

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Nov 4, 2020
I don’t know what your part is, how complicated it is and what it’s made from, but here’s my idea.

Have the part machined, and use it for your testing and getting feedback.

It will be be a waste of money paying for this machining just to get 1 part, but you can get what you want for much less than $80k, and decide if having injection mold plates is worth creating.
Thanks for the reply. We are essentially creating a polymer part as a metal alternative. We can easily create a metal one that works, but cost would be much higher ($10-$15 per) vs a polymer one, which will cost us $3-$5.

jackBruh

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jul 14, 2020
Impossible for us to help without numbers or details. Materials, dimensions, thicknesses, use case, 3d printing process etc. Ask your engineer, or if they don't know then seek a manufacturing engineer experienced with polymers. A consulting call with the right person will give you the answers you seek and save you time and money

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Kid

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Mar 1, 2016
Have a look at Fiber™
The system is costly to buy so maybe you would find someone that has one and ask him to print.
It uses "Continuous carbon fiber or fiberglass tape" in filament and claims to be stronger than steel.

Not sure how small a part you want is and how small this 3d printer can produce but its something to check.

Sethamus

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
179%
Sep 13, 2019
Northshore area, New Orleans
The engineer should be telling you where the stress points are. Modeling allows you to replicate the forces being exerted on it. Now if you are unsure what/where the forces are coming from then that is a different problem. As Jack mentioned there are many variables, so maybe doing something like @Kid mentioned is an option if the price is lower than metal.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.