The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

To learn or to hire?

Anything related to matters of the mind

jarecki

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
152%
Jun 22, 2013
Warsaw
Hey Everyone,

It may be a silly question for you, but despite immense growth during last years I haven't found the answer yet.
Most of you preach that it is necessary to learn how to sell - but isn't it overestimated?
Wouldn't it be faster or more appropriate to hire a copywriter to write a copy for a certain product, service, website?
If I had to sell $10k worth product till the end of the week, that's the way I would go. But that's not the point.

What do you think?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I am starting to think more and more on the hire side. I am also starting to think that any future company I start I am taking VC all the way. VC gives you the resources to be a visionary rather than a task person. Taskwork is for employees not owners.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
Both

IAmTheJeff

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
Mar 5, 2014
Philadelphia, Pa
BOTH!!!!!!!! Hire for immediate need. Learn, practice, learn more, practice more, and implement. It's going to serve you very well as you grow.

jarecki

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
152%
Jun 22, 2013
Warsaw
Ok, what's the purpose?

Could you post me some threads explaining why is it so crucial?

IAmTheJeff

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
Mar 5, 2014
Philadelphia, Pa
No, but I can tell you that by using the search function, you will find more information on sales, how-to's, different methods, different approaches, and others' failures and successes than you'll be able to consume inside of 72 hours.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
You obviously can hire anything out. But even with going out for services, you are going to get much better results if you understand the process.

jarecki

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
152%
Jun 22, 2013
Warsaw
Ok, thanks guys.

Thread can be closed and/or moved to trash.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
You have had immense growth. How did you do this? Would you share what you have tried?

Thanks.

D

DeletedUser2

Thread can be closed and/or moved to trash.

never closed or trashed. this is info is still good for someone else someday

ps. learning to sell is critical not for success, but to stop failure.

when your company is doing well. fine. but if it hits a bumpy patch you may have to sell like there is no tomorrow, to garner the resources to keep it alive.

THATS when selling is most critical.
if you don't have that skill? you could just take your business out back and shoot it.

if you have it.

then you can perform BIZ CPR on it. and keep it alive until it heals and gets back up and going.

Srsly.

learn to sell, its worth your time.
Z

Last edited by a moderator:

tafy

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Aug 21, 2013
UK
You can always hire great programmers, sales people, copywriters etc

The most important thing is if your a good businessman with the right foresight, instinct and balls.

Old saying I heard a few times in the restaurant industry:

A good chef can open a restaurant but he cant hire a good businessman, A businessman can open a restaurant and can hire a good chef.

jarecki

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
152%
Jun 22, 2013
Warsaw
@SteveO just wanted to become very wealthy, so I started some startup thingys. More failure than success, but I kept pushing on no matter what. I'm still on the road though :)

G

Grimaldo

Steve Daar

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Jun 2, 2014
Chicago, Illinois
See if you can block off 1 hour a day M-F to learn things you want to learn that will be valuable business skills.

I try to learn things so that I can better help people I hire. I want to know how to 'speak' the language of designers & developers so nothing gets lost in translation and throws projects off timelines & budgets.

I want to be able to write decent copy so a good copywriter can soup it up rather than start from scratch.

I want to know how to do most of the things in my business so I can explain them.

Something I'm about to start doing:

screen capture tasks that I do regularly and narrate what I'm doing. build a library of videos of common tasks so I can give access to that library to virtual assistants or other so they can then do these things.

Overall - - if you are the CEO or the main person in your business, you need to focus to the highest value tasks. Focus on the highest and best use of your time. Do the things that have to be done by you - - they can't be outsourced or delegated.

If you had to pick one or the other I'd say you should hire rather than learn. Ideally, you do both. Hiring is scale. Learning is a never-ending process of growing + improving.

oldscool

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Jul 20, 2011
your internet
I personally would hire if I got the funds and the profit margin will permit but like all things it depend on your personal situation.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
This is just my theory; Learning is necessary. You can outsource too. Why learning is appropriate? You know what is going on. You're not taken for a ride. You're not taken advantage of. If you don't know the difference between scam artists, con-artists, and think they're legit, and know nothing to start with, you're an easy target. You end up losing money and time. I'm a stickler with not leaving your life in someone else's hands. If you do outsource they should be referred by someone that has had a positive experience. If you can find more than one that agrees all the better.

While it may be fast lane approach here, you also have to use your knowledge, wisdom, and reliable guidance.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.