The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Tired of college kids

Dutchman

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Jul 31, 2012
The Netherlands
Today: a slide about Larry Page and Sergey Brin (founders of google). The teacher told them about their age when they started their company. The kids were shocked. I heard a few ingorant, delusional girls saying: "it's just luck", "you just need a good idea", "they are ugly".

I am tired of them.
They are unhealthy(big one), negative, lazy, stupid and ignorant. Well, most of the time.

Pffff, I am not going to attend classes anymore.

And for the people who say that college is useless... please think again. That's not the case (I've learned alot about accounting, finance, business and marketing). It's useful, but let me be clear. I would never go to college if it was going to put me in debt.

Sometimes I feel like I am missing something though. The parties, the girls, the fun. How "it should be" when you're young.
What would you do? I don't really like to hang with this kind of negative people.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

sigurdur

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Oct 26, 2012
Iceland
Sometimes I feel like I am missing something though. The parties, the girls, the fun. How "it should be" when you're young.
If you work on your business and succeed, you'll have these things if you so desire.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
oh yay another college thread.

It's like a menstrual cycle; it comes every month and it's not particularly welcome. :rolleyes:

I am tired of them.

Don't be tired. You're simply reinforcing your ability to spot the mindset of mediocrity that usually leads to poverty. This ability to spot the poverty mindset is like building yourself a mental moat to keep yourself from falling into such thinking. A mindset of prosperity must come before actual prosperity.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
"mental moat"

love that term and had never heard it before

j3m4090

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Oct 29, 2012
I'm sorry you have to deal with that. I <3 college kids. There arrogance and ignorance has made me the most money . I grew up 2-3 blocks from usc so I used to go on campus as a kid and setup my own "shop". To this day i still dont understand how someone can pay 3 dollars for a soda when the machine down the hall is charging you 1.50 xD. Take it as practice and learn from their mistakes so you don't commit them yourself.

FastNAwesome

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
May 23, 2011
"mental moat"

love that term and had never heard it before

+1

Btw. I never even heard word "moat" before:) (non native English speaker)

I think you are missing out. That's so great age for partying, road trips, all kinds of adventures and crazy stuff. Best time ever!

What would you do? I don't really like to hang with this kind of negative people.

Keep your thoughts to yourself and join them at partying and stuff. Be cool with their mentality, or if it really bothers you find new friends.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
And for the people who say that college is useless... please think again. That's not the case (I've learned alot about accounting, finance, business and marketing).
Wait... you want to drop out even when you admit you are learning relevant, important stuff? Just because you dislike the people around you?

Really?

Ignore them, but don't drop the opportunity to learn important stuff (you said yourself). Especially when it is at $0 cost to you.

And you also need to grow thinker skin..... the world is full of people like that. What are you gonna do, hide in a cave?

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
Wait... you want to drop out even when you admit you are learning relevant, important stuff? Just because you dislike the people around you?

Really?

Ignore them, but don't drop the opportunity to learn important stuff (you said yourself). Especially when it is at $0 cost to you.

And you also need to grow thinker skin..... the world is full of people like that. What are you gonna do, hide in a cave?

I think you misunderstood him.. Not going to classes anymore isn't the same as dropping out. He can still learn the stuff on his own and write the exams.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Whewwwww!!!!! College BRO!!!!!!! :puke:

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
He can still learn the stuff on his own and write the exams.
I see. But then, what is the point?

Buy a book and study at home.

But I remember the best learning experiences in the classroom were based on the interaction with teachers and instructors... no?

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
wait it gets better!

wait until you get tired of your business competitors.

they will sue you, sabotage your business, copy your work,

but then thats actually a good thing cause then you know you are doing something right :)

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
are you saying you feel like you are missing out?

are you saying you are sick of ALL college students?

remember your attitudes opinions and beliefs determine your reaction to your environment.

that might be a good thing or a bad thing idk :D

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
It's threads like these that make me like bragging about my world-ranked universities that are costing me and my parents an arm and a leg for me to attend.

I love university and I love the people. My management professor is an entrepreneur and small-time angel investor. I've met kid millionaires, app developers, champions of pretty much anything, heirs to large foreign companies... and all you gotta do is open your eyes and open your mouth.

I'd going to push my kid(s) to get into the best schools possible. The benefits are actually huge... they just don't exist in the classroom. Even my management professor is only allowed to teach so much in lecture.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
It's threads like these that make me like bragging about my world-ranked universities that are costing me and my parents an arm and a leg for me to attend.

I love university and I love the people. My management professor is an entrepreneur and small-time angel investor. I've met kid millionaires, app developers, champions of pretty much anything, heirs to large foreign companies... and all you gotta do is open your eyes and open your mouth.

I'd going to push my kid(s) to get into the best schools possible. The benefits are actually huge... they just don't exist in the classroom. Even my management professor is only allowed to teach so much in lecture.

You say this now...

dknise

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Aug 29, 2012
North Bend, WA

I hated the kids in college too and those are the same people you "party" with. When I left I started a night club promotion company and was at an 18-21 club every night Wednesday to Sunday. My social life died when I went to college... and was revived when I left. Just cause you don't go to school doesn't mean you can't do that stuff and have a good time. The non-college crowd is also much more friendly, way less clicky, and more about the social scene than the beer in your hand.

ps. college was at WSU and post-experience in the suburbs of Seattle, WA for reference. Not the same everywhere, but I get where you're coming from.

D

DeletedUser397

I guess it really depends because that type of thinking is common not just in college but everywhere. You could surround yourself with better people and not let it bother you so much. Sure I wish I hadn't gone to college too, but I also got involved with Entrepreneur's club and various related activities that were quite helpful. You might want to try and seek out those and make the most while you're at it.

oddball

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
Mar 8, 2011
Austin, TX

I'm with Kak. You are paying for the classroom time and yet you say that part isn't the good part? You can meet all those people outside of school. There are tons of network events that you can attend, at a fraction of the cost.

liquidglass

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Oct 24, 2011
College is awesome! At least it was when I was in it haha. But it's always what you make it. My first few years I made it parties and slacking off. Then I realized I needed to be present in the moment I was in. Study, learn, retain and party to relax. Since college and pulling into the fast lane my social life has dwindled to nearly nothing. Do I mind? Not at all, I'm working for the big picture, social life will come later.

It's a lot easier to build a social life than successful business ventures. I'd rather get the hard stuff out of the way first.

Skys

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Dec 20, 2011
The Netherlands
Hang out with the cute girls, have lots of protected sex. Make friends with the guys so you can do some sports. Find smart people to work with.

I only did the first two. Still had one hell of a time :)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.