The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Tips Needed! YouTube - How to improve audio quality

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

fmvpinho

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jan 8, 2022
Hello everyone!

I'm working on my first video for a children's stories YouTube channel and I am struggling with audio quality. I narrate the stories as if mom and dad were reading a book. I recorded the audio at my house on a recording app in my mobile phone with 10€ headphones. I covered myself with a blanket to reduce echo and noise but when I hear the audio, I can't help but hear "noise floor" (I am not really sure of what I am saying but I did watch some youtube videos and I think it is called this way!) and I am very conscious of it! I have people say it's fine and I should upload the video with the audio as is, but I have others (like me) hearing that permanent noise! I tried audacity but it feels too sophisticated - I don't even know what all of those tools mean! I thought someone in this forum may have some useful tips before I run out of breath underneath the blankets!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Matt Lee

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
419%
Aug 9, 2022
Are you looking to do this as a hobby or leaning toward creating something bigger?

I have 2 suggestions if it's the second case.

1) get yourself a USB mic. Any would do really. I have some experience with blue yeti so that is would I would personally recommend. The less expensive is around a hundred bucks and the next tier would be around 150. You could go for a higher tier but that all depends on your budget. The more expensive the mic, the more background noise it will block off and the higher quality of your voice. If your budget is tight, record from your I phone for now and have it as close to your mouth as when speaking. The iPhone mic + post-edit sounds better than most microphone mics. I'm not sure if the phone you refer to is an iPhone though so bear that in mind.

Check out this video about making a USB mic sound like a Neumann mic(very high-end mic).

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToHuInqVEHE&t=670s&ab_channel=SenpaiGaming

It's fair to know that audio can sound much better with filters and effects. You can make your voice sound deeper, add more base(sounds more authoritative), remove background noises, and level out your high and low pitch. This brings me to my second recommendation.

2) pick an audio-enhancing software and learn the ropes with it. I use adobe audition. You can use anything really, just based on your preferences. There are tons of tutorials you can learn once you pick software to practice.

These are some of the tutorials I suggest you look into when you choose the software.

1) how to level/normalize voice-over with "your software"
2) how to remove background noise with "your software"
3) how to make voiceover sound better with EQ with "your software"
4) how to use compression with "your software"
4) how to make S sound less sharp with "your software"

**bonus: If you're having trouble with acoustic and background noises, record in a closet, your car, or anywhere that doesn't have a lot of open space. Preferably, you avoid hard surfaces when you record.

LateStarter

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Jan 26, 2015
Toronto, Canada
You can also try a more directional microphone. It shouldn't pick up any of the ambient noise floor from around you. I've tried the Rode Videomicro 1/8" cable version but not the "Me" version with Lighting/USB. Check out some reviews and see if this might work for you.

Bottom line: Yes you 'could' mess around with software and clean it up, but it's easier to get a new microphone first to improve the overall quality. Software should be your last resort. Your time is more valuable than having to learn software to fix it.

fmvpinho

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jan 8, 2022
Are you looking to do this as a hobby or leaning toward creating something bigger?

I have 2 suggestions if it's the second case.

1) get yourself a USB mic. Any would do really. I have some experience with blue yeti so that is would I would personally recommend. The less expensive is around a hundred bucks and the next tier would be around 150. You could go for a higher tier but that all depends on your budget. The more expensive the mic, the more background noise it will block off and the higher quality of your voice. If your budget is tight, record from your I phone for now and have it as close to your mouth as when speaking. The iPhone mic + post-edit sounds better than most microphone mics. I'm not sure if the phone you refer to is an iPhone though so bear that in mind.

Check out this video about making a USB mic sound like a Neumann mic(very high-end mic).

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToHuInqVEHE&t=670s&ab_channel=SenpaiGaming

It's fair to know that audio can sound much better with filters and effects. You can make your voice sound deeper, add more base(sounds more authoritative), remove background noises, and level out your high and low pitch. This brings me to my second recommendation.

2) pick an audio-enhancing software and learn the ropes with it. I use adobe audition. You can use anything really, just based on your preferences. There are tons of tutorials you can learn once you pick software to practice.

These are some of the tutorials I suggest you look into when you choose the software.

1) how to level/normalize voice-over with "your software"
2) how to remove background noise with "your software"
3) how to make voiceover sound better with EQ with "your software"
4) how to use compression with "your software"
4) how to make S sound less sharp with "your software"

**bonus: If you're having trouble with acoustic and background noises, record in a closet, your car, or anywhere that doesn't have a lot of open space. Preferably, you avoid hard surfaces when you record.
Thanks for the tips!

fmvpinho

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jan 8, 2022
You can also try a more directional microphone. It shouldn't pick up any of the ambient noise floor from around you. I've tried the Rode Videomicro 1/8" cable version but not the "Me" version with Lighting/USB. Check out some reviews and see if this might work for you.

Bottom line: Yes you 'could' mess around with software and clean it up, but it's easier to get a new microphone first to improve the overall quality. Software should be your last resort. Your time is more valuable than having to learn software to fix it.
I'll look up this mic. Thanks!

BigRomeDawg

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
223%
Jan 22, 2014
Canada/USA
The iPhone mic + post-edit sounds better than most microphone mics
So true. We've done pro voice overs on iPhone mic in a car (cars are pretty dead)

IMO Blue Snowball/Yeti are the best value under $300 (we've done pro VO's with the Snowball)

Try Studio Sound feature in Descript.. be amazed.

piano

Trying to find the right notes
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
252%
Sep 21, 2022
Germany
I'm surprised nobody said this,
- but download audacity, learn what your problems are and how they are called and then fix them.
- Think of getting a focusrite + a mic and all the other required shenanigans to use them
- Maybe you want a mixer as well, that might be overkill though. Maybe there are cheap ones?
- For the mic, there are 2 kinds of mics
- Dynamic microphones (they only capture what's near, so to speak. You should get that one)
- Condenser Microphone (They will try to capture EVERYTHING. Don't get that one unless you want to hear the bug chirping in the background)
- Rhode and Shure (mics) are good for beginners/your price range. Don't get a Neumann yet please lol.
- Before you buy anything though, please research on your own how to use them, price, etc. Also listen to audio recorded by these mics and make sure that the producer was using raw footage (not professionally mixed stuff lol). Keep in mind that I've only been using this equip in school and don't own it myself.

Good luck! Maybe dive into a few subreddits for this stuff if you struggle understanding some things.

twinmark01

New Contributor
Feb 5, 2023
USA
This is a great question and one that can be answered in a few different ways. The first step to improving the audio quality of your YouTube videos is to make sure you have the right equipment. Investing in good-quality microphones, audio interfaces, and audio mixers will help ensure that you have the best audio possible. Additionally, you should pay attention to the room acoustics and soundproofing, as this can also drastically improve the quality of your audio. Finally, there are many different software plugins and programs available that can help you clean up and process the sound of your recordings. With the right combination of hardware and software, you can dramatically improve the quality of your audio.

fmvpinho

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jan 8, 2022
I'm surprised nobody said this,
- but download audacity, learn what your problems are and how they are called and then fix them.
- Think of getting a focusrite + a mic and all the other required shenanigans to use them
- Maybe you want a mixer as well, that might be overkill though. Maybe there are cheap ones?
- For the mic, there are 2 kinds of mics
- Dynamic microphones (they only capture what's near, so to speak. You should get that one)
- Condenser Microphone (They will try to capture EVERYTHING. Don't get that one unless you want to hear the bug chirping in the background)
- Rhode and Shure (mics) are good for beginners/your price range. Don't get a Neumann yet please lol.
- Before you buy anything though, please research on your own how to use them, price, etc. Also listen to audio recorded by these mics and make sure that the producer was using raw footage (not professionally mixed stuff lol). Keep in mind that I've only been using this equip in school and don't own it myself.

Good luck! Maybe dive into a few subreddits for this stuff if you struggle understanding some things.
Thanks for the tips!

fmvpinho

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jan 8, 2022
This is a great question and one that can be answered in a few different ways. The first step to improving the audio quality of your YouTube videos is to make sure you have the right equipment. Investing in good-quality microphones, audio interfaces, and audio mixers will help ensure that you have the best audio possible. Additionally, you should pay attention to the room acoustics and soundproofing, as this can also drastically improve the quality of your audio. Finally, there are many different software plugins and programs available that can help you clean up and process the sound of your recordings. With the right combination of hardware and software, you can dramatically improve the quality of your audio.
Appreciated. Thanks.

fmvpinho

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jan 8, 2022
Keep it simple.. get the video done and improve a little bit each time! Perfectionism is the enemy of progress.
Yes! You are definitely right! Thanks!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.