The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Tinder for mentors and students?

EmperorPear

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
78%
Aug 15, 2014
Bor, Serbia
So I just came up with this idea while reading a forum post, and I wonder if it has any potential.

It's supposed to look like a mix between Coursera and <insert dating site here>

I don't know whether it should receive money via subscription or through a lead-based system like in affiliate marketing. Both maybe?

It should have a variety of services, besides someone finding a long-time mentor. Seminars, meet-ups, etc. all of which can be organized by the users.

As you can see, the system shouldn't be binary, mentors can be students too. And the mentors can offer their services for free or can charge money for them.

What do you think?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Digamma

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Nov 13, 2014
So like a knowledge exchanging platform? I teach something to you, you teach something to me, we keep each other accountable?

EmperorPear

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
78%
Aug 15, 2014
Bor, Serbia
So like a knowledge exchanging platform? I teach something to you, you teach something to me, we keep each other accountable?

I was thinking something more of apprenticeship or tutoring, but that sounds cool.

As a student I wouldnt want a mentor who is actively searching for students.

As a mentor I wouldnt want a student who is too lazy to find me without a platform like this.

So, I wouldnt use it.

Hm, regarding your first point, I don't see it as some guy holding a sign saying "WILL MENTOR 4 MONEY". I see someone listing his expertise on the platform, and checking from time to time if someone wants to learn stuff from him.
And the second point is the point of the platform.
Where to find a mentor?
Will he accept me?
Does he posses the knowledge I want.

I doubt Donnie Trump will sign up to teach some kid how to be an entrepreneur, so don't expect Zeus or something. (But given enough scaling, the big boys may get in on the fun(and it can earn mad dosh)).

mws87

talk less, listen more.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
May 5, 2015
California
As a student I wouldnt want a mentor who is actively searching for students.

As a mentor I wouldnt want a student who is too lazy to find me without a platform like this.

So, I wouldnt use it.
Ah, yes. This reminds me of a time I was approached in B&N by a random who struck up a conversation with me. Long story short, he was offering mentoring. I passed. Something about it just screamed MLM scheme.

Ubermensch

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jul 7, 2008
Chicago
Ah, yes. This reminds me of a time I was approached in B&N by a random who struck up a conversation with me. Long story short, he was offering mentoring. I passed. Something about it just screamed MLM scheme.

LOL.

Ah, the MLM people. 99% use such silly marketing tactics. Approaching people in public places? It's the 21st Century. Use the internet. Hilarious. I've heard similar stories.

mws87

talk less, listen more.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
May 5, 2015
California
LOL.

Ah, the MLM people. 99% use such silly marketing tactics. Approaching people in public places? It's the 21st Century. Use the internet. Hilarious. I've heard similar stories.
Yes, I'm not 100% certain it was MLM but I am 100% certain it was going to require me investing my money and coming out on the losing team. It's a REALLY long story, really strange too. Don't want to hijack the thread though.

I feel like mentors are becoming sort of the new "gold rush". There are a lot of people catching onto it lately (or maybe I'm just noticing it more) and there are surely going to be a lot more people looking to exploit it and take advantage of it.

Some of the best things found are those not intentionally sought.

Last edited:

Adam Secada

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Jan 21, 2014
Dallas, TX
Hm, regarding your first point, I don't see it as some guy holding a sign saying "WILL MENTOR 4 MONEY". I see someone listing his expertise on the platform, and checking from time to time if someone wants to learn stuff from him.

If I could play devil's advocate, then -- If the Mentor isn't being financially incentivized to list his accolades and recruit students, what incentive does he have to use this platform in the first place? This whole platform would hinge on having a valuable list of mentors... how would you get them?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.