The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Time or Money: The conclusive thread to how much you should invest?

NeoDialectic

Successfully Exited the Rat Race
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
686%
Feb 11, 2022
Phoenix, az
After writing my thread on Idea Generation To Execution: Fastlane Millionaire's Step By Step Guide, @fastlane_dad and I have received A LOT of public and private questions that allude to some form of “What is the right amount of testing I should do before making a large investment” or “How much time or money should I be willing to invest into my venture”.

It is a difficult question to answer without context because so much of it depends on both the venture itself and the person's goals/values. Here are a few variations:
  • Some ventures DEMAND a lot of investment right away (time and/or money) and without an insane amount of investment, the idea is dead in the water. Think Uber. It’s impossible to start making profit without a good amount of societal buy in where the city is covered by both drivers and customers.
  • Some ventures require near zero investment and the success is purely based off a trade of money for value. The investment may even only need to be made once the value is paid for. For example things like web services.
  • Some people have substantially more time than money
  • Some people have substantially more money than time
  • Some people jive with the quality approach to business
  • Some people jive with the quantity approach to business
The list is never ending and then there are blends of all of these. All these are valid approaches. Most successful business abide by some basic form of CENTS and other principles that MJ espouses. So things like providing value to the customer should be fundamental to all businesses regardless of the archetype of the business. But the details can be done in never ending combinations.

So if the Louis Vuitton model, the Uber model, and the Walmart model all work well enough to make billion dollar companies, how are you supposed to know which one to do for your business? There are advantages and disadvantages to all models and after a lot of thinking on the topic, I think it just comes down to picking a model that you jive with best. One that you don’t mind the disadvantages as much as you revel in the advantages. That may mean you pass on a good idea if they right way to execute it doesn't jive with your requirements.

This will probably be a multi-part series thread, with @fastlane_dad taking the reins at times too. We are also open to anyone with experience adding their own ideas to the topic! Maybe by page 100 we will have something conclusive :rofl:

The only common threads that I have been able to identify that reliably predicts whether someone will succeed is the willingness to learn, adapt, and persevere. You do different approaches again and again until you succeed. The point of this thread may end up morphing, but without further ado, here is the first brick.

The Venture Capitalist Way

You test the market with one thing, and if the market doesn't like it, you move onto the next thing. No skin off your back. You thought you were laying gold bricks, but it turns out no one wants your gold. A product/service that is a true productocracy will have it's own gravity surrounding it. You will have to do very little push. You will know it when you hit it.

I think a big portion of starting entrepreneurs are young people that have a lot more time than they do money. So good advice to them could be to start at near zero financial investment with testing and scale up from there. It would be prudent for them to follow some kind of systematic testing process. Generally people think of virtual products when they think low investment, but that is far from the only way. One of the points of my step by step idea guide thread was to show that you can substitutes lack of funds with creative low investment solutions even for physical products.

However, let's say you have done your homework and you don't want to waste another month testing the market. Let's say that the initial order of widgets costs $5,000 and while no one likes losing money, you don't mind risking it and when the business fails you have plenty more $5k's to keep investing in new ideas..... Well then it may be smart to just send it! Get the product made and start selling. Time is money afterall, and you may be short on time but have plenty of money. Depending on how hungry you are, it may even be prudent for you to test 5 ideas at the same time throwing $5k at each!

Then there is everything in between. The correct rate of investment vs testing will be one where failures leave you standing and immediately ready for more.

Another way to think about this. If you know anything about Venture Capital (or angel investing or private equity, or etc..), you will know that they invest in 10 startups, knowing that most will fail and 1 will be a success that pays for the rest of them and their kids private school. Successful Venture Capitalists never invest all their funds into one company. Treat your business life as your portfolio. Each of your ideas are startup and you are the investing Venture Capitalist. Know that for you to be successful you may have to go through many iterations(startups). So as a Venture Capitalist investing in your life, invest in each one the amount that will allow you to play the averages game and survive long enough to statistically guarantee victory. If you are a $1,000 fund, that may be a little. If you are a $100,000,000 fund, be generous with the amount of investments you make and how much you give each one. You are funding the next Uber afterall! Keep in mind that unlike multiple people with entire teams behind them, you are just one person. These startups should bias towards one at a time rather than 10 at a time!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

fastlane_dad

8 Figure Fastlane Graduate
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
637%
Jun 20, 2017
Scottsdale, AZ
DEDICATION - DON'T ABANDON THE SHIP JUST YET

On the flip side, the counter argument is carefully prodding your idea through the test of CENTS - and then learning and evolving with your project. Don't abandon the ship quite that fast to try out 'various ideas'.

I see too much of 'moving on quick' to new ventures, and greener pastures - without fully even diving into testing your market out! People quit on themselves faster then we quit on others - and my answer MANY times to those around me - is twisting the business idea on the head, and letting them know it's not the product many times - but the attempt at marketing.

While 'quick to fail' and 'invest a bit into 5 projects' might work - MANY instances of success I've seen is where the owner devotes all their heart and soul into the business and acts AS IF failure is not an option.

This might have something to do also with the barrier of entry - heck if you pick a super easy one (drop-shipping alibaba garden hoses) - well of course it's easy for you to move on from that 'idea' - you haven't invested much into that! Neither does it solve any pain points - you haven't worked with any manufacturers to put a new spin, developed a prototype and stuck to see your product through.

If you go all in on the product / solving a pain-point / providing value - you seamlessly DO NOT need to skip around and instead next step is focusing on an angle of marketing and promotion that resonates with finding your crowd. Yes - it will and does happen that supposedly sometimes there is just NO MARKET for the product you are selling - but that should of been at least somewhat eliminated in the 'idea' stage (Preliminary Research Framework).

A lot of what I see and then advise, especially to novices and advocate - is hey, give your plan a fair chance. Focus on your product and the pain point it solves. Try various marketing angles. Learn how to promote and make an attractive website. Don't be in a rush to 'move on'. Move on only when many times you see no other option to call it a day.

In the past 15 years @NeoDialectic and I started probably close to a dozen businesses and 'grand ideas'. Only about 25% of them turned into a money making venture. 1 of those turned into a true fastlane success. The funny thing now that we look back - the ideas and businesses we abandoned were not because they were 'bad ideas' - we just didn't see results fast enough, and moved on to the new shiny object. When we discuss ALL of our previous endeavors, we have zero doubts in our mind that ANY ONE of them could have had a level of success and sales we would of been proud and happy with.

There are more then one way of going about working, developing, testing and marketing your new FASTLANE idea. The point here is to try and think things through (and get feedback and advice) - on your idea / product / research so that you do not have to skip around ship every month looking for a 'new gig to get into'.

Sure as a marketer, and an entrepreneur - even if your idea is 'BRAND XYZ of colored pencils' - my mind naturally gravitates towards advising you on how to position your product to have a shot at sales (maybe stand right outside of art school...etc). Many times you do not need to reinvent the wheel on the product side to see success. It's all a fusion of product / marketing / promotion - that you should ideally map out of have a rough plan - as you will encounter stumbling blocks on each forefront many times over.

fastlane_dad

8 Figure Fastlane Graduate
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
637%
Jun 20, 2017
Scottsdale, AZ
How has this thread fallen through the cracks?? Awesome value here!
Thanks! @NeoDialectic and I try and put a lot of time and effort into some of the posts here - and many times the goal becomes showing 'fastlaners' that there never a one-ultimate way to think about business, or a one-size fits all solution to all.

Many times there are many lenses to view business with - and ironically they can all paradoxically be CORRECT!

Quick to FAIL - and STICKING to IT (dedication) - have all become 'buzzwords' in the entrepreneur community. I feel like the up and coming student of the fastlane is always confused - which is the way? The truth is they are all the ways. You must develop a framework that works for you and your business, and know when it's right to follow what strategy, and how to develop a knack for when its time to double down with investment (time/money) - OR throw in the towel and move on.

We have experienced both - throwing in the towel and moving on (probably a dozen or so times) , but also serving up a fat juicy platter of DEDICATION , that led to going all in on building up our fastlane business that eventually got sold. So both are right - at different times.

Looking back though it's always funny to witness or see the ideas and business plans we THREW in the towel on, turned into massive success(es) by someone else.

Not to say we couldn't have done the same with some of those businesses - they just for one reason or another were not the right fit for us at that particular time, with the particular funds or time to invest that we had.

Erik_Mark

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Sep 5, 2022
Tucson AZ
Thanks! @NeoDialectic and I try and put a lot of time and effort into some of the posts here - and many times the goal becomes showing 'fastlaners' that there never a one-ultimate way to think about business, or a one-size fits all solution to all.

Many times there are many lenses to view business with - and ironically they can all paradoxically be CORRECT!

Quick to FAIL - and STICKING to IT (dedication) - have all become 'buzzwords' in the entrepreneur community. I feel like the up and coming student of the fastlane is always confused - which is the way? The truth is they are all the ways. You must develop a framework that works for you and your business, and know when it's right to follow what strategy, and how to develop a knack for when its time to double down with investment (time/money) - OR throw in the towel and move on.

We have experienced both - throwing in the towel and moving on (probably a dozen or so times) , but also serving up a fat juicy platter of DEDICATION , that led to going all in on building up our fastlane business that eventually got sold. So both are right - at different times.

Looking back though it's always funny to witness or see the ideas and business plans we THREW in the towel on, turned into massive success(es) by someone else.

Not to say we couldn't have done the same with some of those businesses - they just for one reason or another were not the right fit for us at that particular time, with the particular funds or time to invest that we had.
You and @NeoDialectic are seriously a godsend, I've been slowly reading through everything you both have posted. I am beyond grateful you both have taken the time to show others a way to approach the process.

I made a decision today and purchased the items I need to test my product, based on finishing @NeoDialectic testing framework post. I don't want to post much until I have a result, for fear of not following through but wanted to thank you both!

I have a million questions, but wanted to ask, since you mentioned marketing, if either of you have a book you recommend for online\social media marketing? I believe MJ said something to the effect of there are good books no one reads because bad books are marketed better, in The Millionaire Fastlane .

I have read a few sales books, but since I plan to follow the model NeoDialectic laid out, I'm thinking I will probably want to advertise on Insta and Facebook.

NeoDialectic

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
686%
Feb 11, 2022
Phoenix, az
You and @NeoDialectic are seriously a godsend, I've been slowly reading through everything you both have posted. I am beyond grateful you both have taken the time to show others a way to approach the process.

I made a decision today and purchased the items I need to test my product, based on finishing @NeoDialectic testing framework post. I don't want to post much until I have a result, for fear of not following through but wanted to thank you both!

I have a million questions, but wanted to ask, since you mentioned marketing, if either of you have a book you recommend for online\social media marketing? I believe MJ said something to the effect of there are good books no one reads because bad books are marketed better, in The Millionaire Fastlane .

I have read a few sales books, but since I plan to follow the model NeoDialectic laid out, I'm thinking I will probably want to advertise on Insta and Facebook.
I appreciate the warm words!

I dont have any specific books on marketing I would recommend. There are a ton of good books on marketing that are really just describing human psychology. But I'm not sure you need that as it's more important for you to just start doing than reading techniques that will increase conversions by 1/10th of a percent.

You could benefit from books with specific techniques that could be immediately implemented, but I think that most things that have already been implemented into a book are yesterdays techniques that are no longer effective.

If you did want to learn more about marketing, my best recommendation would be to spend a few hours reading the marketing/advertising subforums of business forums. Not just on this forum but other big forums as well. Sometimes there could be an actionable diamond in the rough technique, but that's not even the most important thing you are looking for.

The best marketing techniques are the ones no one else is doing... But for you to even start knowing what would be a good thing to try (out of an infinite of variations), you need to have a good understanding of what people are doing today. By reading all the forums, you are feeding your brain simulations that other people have ran (along with frequently asked questions) and allowing your brain to come away with a working model of the types of things that are good ideas to try or not.

Erik_Mark

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Sep 5, 2022
Tucson AZ
I appreciate the warm words!

I dont have any specific books on marketing I would recommend. There are a ton of good books on marketing that are really just describing human psychology. But I'm not sure you need that as it's more important for you to just start doing than reading techniques that will increase conversions by 1/10th of a percent.

You could benefit from books with specific techniques that could be immediately implemented, but I think that most things that have already been implemented into a book are yesterdays techniques that are no longer effective.

If you did want to learn more about marketing, my best recommendation would be to spend a few hours reading the marketing/advertising subforums of business forums. Not just on this forum but other big forums as well. Sometimes there could be an actionable diamond in the rough technique, but that's not even the most important thing you are looking for.

The best marketing techniques are the ones no one else is doing... But for you to even start knowing what would be a good thing to try (out of an infinite of variations), you need to have a good understanding of what people are doing today. By reading all the forums, you are feeding your brain simulations that other people have ran (along with frequently asked questions) and allowing your brain to come away with a working model of the types of things that are good ideas to try or not.
Thank you for the advice, as you said, I am pretty desperate to just start, even if that means making mistakes to learn from, which I know will be part of the process. To be accountable, and take action, I'm going to open my Amazon seller account this week, and as soon as my items arrive, begin my testing.

I'll do what you said and check this and other forums. I had also planned to complete a course on Udemy for selling on Amazon and a social media marketing course in the next 2 weeks.

NeoDialectic

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
686%
Feb 11, 2022
Phoenix, az
Thank you for the advice, as you said, I am pretty desperate to just start, even if that means making mistakes to learn from, which I know will be part of the process. To be accountable, and take action, I'm going to open my Amazon seller account this week, and as soon as my items arrive, begin my testing.

I'll do what you said and check this and other forums. I had also planned to complete a course on Udemy for selling on Amazon and a social media marketing course in the next 2 weeks.
Did you end up taking the coarse? Did you put up the product? How did the tests go?

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
457%
Mar 15, 2018

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Erik_Mark

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Sep 5, 2022
Tucson AZ
Did you end up taking the coarse? Did you put up the product? How did the tests go?
Hi NeoDialectic, I finally received the containers (from ebay). I ordered the ingredients, they will be here Monday 31st. I started the course and it is awesome, I honestly haven't finished yet. I have another question for you, did you LLC even for the test? I planned to do that and I am 3/4 of the way through the online application since it's my first time. Altogether with the $50 application fee for AZ I will have spent around $175. It's been a little slow going because of trying to get a little cash to put together to do it, happy to say once the LLC goes through (14 days?) I should have all my ducks in a row.

NeoDialectic

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
686%
Feb 11, 2022
Phoenix, az
Hi NeoDialectic, I finally received the containers (from ebay). I ordered the ingredients, they will be here Monday 31st. I started the course and it is awesome, I honestly haven't finished yet. I have another question for you, did you LLC even for the test? I planned to do that and I am 3/4 of the way through the online application since it's my first time. Altogether with the $50 application fee for AZ I will have spent around $175. It's been a little slow going because of trying to get a little cash to put together to do it, happy to say once the LLC goes through (14 days?) I should have all my ducks in a row.
I do recommend you use an LLC. It protects you, it's quick to get, it's easy to get, and relatively cheap considering it can be used for all future projects. So if this idea doesn't work out, you already have an LLC that you can use for the next one.

You may want to google "piercing the corporate viel" and avoid doing the things that allow it. The general gist is to not use the business bank account as an extension of your personal bank account. But don't worry about this too much for the testing phase. It's just something you may want to familiarize yourself with eventually.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
457%
Mar 15, 2018
I think a big portion of starting entrepreneurs are young people that have a lot more time than they do money. So good advice to them could be to start at near zero financial investment with testing and scale up from there.

For bigger businesses, you may not have the luxury of putting in just more time…

In that situation remember:
  1. Money - who said it has to be your money? You are the entrepreneur, you make the rules. Need money? Get $ from FFF - Family, Friends and Fools.
  2. Your name, your reputation is of immense value. Don’t F*ck it up with greed and dishonesty. Protect it at all costs. This backs into what @fastlane_dad said above - have GRIT, keep going and finding new solutions when things do not work. That’s the job. With investors, you cannot “fail fast”. What the F*ck does that even mean? That your mom’s $10k meant nothing to you? That your one true friend who believed in you lost his $5k because you watched some YT guru telling you to “fail fast”? No. Stick with it until its done or so dead that no one can fault you for being a lazy sack of shit who didn’t try hard enough.
  3. Plan. You wouldn’t go to war by just “showing up” at the battle field, would you?

Most important, hope you enjoy the process. :)

NeoDialectic

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
686%
Feb 11, 2022
Phoenix, az
For bigger businesses, you may not have the luxury of putting in just more time…

In that situation remember:
  1. Money - who said it has to be your money? You are the entrepreneur, you make the rules. Need money? Get $ from FFF - Family, Friends and Fools.
  2. Your name, your reputation is of immense value. Don’t F*ck it up with greed and dishonesty. Protect it at all costs. This backs into what @fastlane_dad said above - have GRIT, keep going and finding new solutions when things do not work. That’s the job. With investors, you cannot “fail fast”. What the F*ck does that even mean? That your mom’s $10k meant nothing to you? That your one true friend who believed in you lost his $5k because you watched some YT guru telling you to “fail fast”? No. Stick with it until its done or so dead that no one can fault you for being a lazy sack of shit who didn’t try hard enough.
  3. Plan. You wouldn’t go to war by just “showing up” at the battle field, would you?

Most important, hope you enjoy the process. :)
100%

That's why the context and type of business you go into has so much to do with the strategy you employ.

I think in some points of view, you put in a TON of time before putting in money. If I remember correctly, you worked int he industry for years learning the trade and doing sort-of free work by helping others. When you took the helm as business owner, you then needed money to make things work because of the type of business. But that was only after alot of hard work and time investment.

MRiabov

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
92%
May 30, 2023

Dotcom Secrets, Expert Secrets, and answering your question - Traffic Secrets

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.