The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Tie Consumption to Production

Anything related to matters of the mind

CPisHere

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Sep 17, 2011
Louisiana
I believe MJ talks about this some in Unscripted , but it's something that I kind of had in the back of my mind for a while. And the thread on Fastlaner spending made me consider it further.
What is the fastlaner spending mindset

It's something I'm still trying to iron out, so give your feedback!

Most people are driven by their desires.
I am craving a donut. I eat the donut.
I want a big house in the suburbs. I "buy" it.

The most successful people only consume what their EARN, which has a higher standard & is far less than others might think it "deserves".

This is something I noticed very fit people do inherently with diet/exercise. They feel like they really have to work hard to deserve pizza/whatever bad food - timing it to be after grueling workouts, or after a week of super healthy on-point dieting. And if they mess up and eat a couple bad meals in a row, they make themselves pay for it by putting in extra work at the gym. And these are people who, by regular folks' standards, don't "need" to work so hard because they are already in amazing shape.

The same thing seems to apply to money. The people who Produce *earn* their ability to consume. And when they want more, they make themselves Produce to get it. This has multiple benefits. First, it's motivation to work harder and achieve more. Second, this mentality ensures a high savings rate/accelerated freedom.

I used to think $250,000/year was about as much as I'd ever like to earn. Then I realized that after taxes, living a very moderate lifestyle compared to others at that income, it would still take 15+ years to save $2,000,000 (enough to fund that same lifestyle indefinitely).

That thought process made me reconsider what earning meant. Just because you can make the payment doesn't mean you can afford it!

So how do we further develop and instill this mentality?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Olimac21

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Dec 3, 2015
Belo Horizonte, Brasil
I believe MJ talks about this some in Unscripted , but it's something that I kind of had in the back of my mind for a while. And the thread on Fastlaner spending made me consider it further.
What is the fastlaner spending mindset

It's something I'm still trying to iron out, so give your feedback!

Most people are driven by their desires.
I am craving a donut. I eat the donut.
I want a big house in the suburbs. I "buy" it.

The most successful people only consume what their EARN, which has a higher standard & is far less than others might think it "deserves".

This is something I noticed very fit people do inherently with diet/exercise. They feel like they really have to work hard to deserve pizza/whatever bad food - timing it to be after grueling workouts, or after a week of super healthy on-point dieting. And if they mess up and eat a couple bad meals in a row, they make themselves pay for it by putting in extra work at the gym. And these are people who, by regular folks' standards, don't "need" to work so hard because they are already in amazing shape.

The same thing seems to apply to money. The people who Produce *earn* their ability to consume. And when they want more, they make themselves Produce to get it. This has multiple benefits. First, it's motivation to work harder and achieve more. Second, this mentality ensures a high savings rate/accelerated freedom.

I used to think $250,000/year was about as much as I'd ever like to earn. Then I realized that after taxes, living a very moderate lifestyle compared to others at that income, it would still take 15+ years to save $2,000,000 (enough to fund that same lifestyle indefinitely).

That thought process made me reconsider what earning meant. Just because you can make the payment doesn't mean you can afford it!

So how do we further develop and instill this mentality?

I think a big question to start with is: Why do you want to earn more? and then developing a correct mindset/behavior around money. When MJ mentioned that basketball player in Unscripted his point was: no matter how much you earn if your consumptions levels are limitless you will never create real wealth.

I also like the emphasis on autonomy, an answer to getting rich could be more not depending on monthly income or give your family a decent household rather than to have the best car in the neighbourhood or a private jet, which could use be a worthy goal.

About the earning and then spending, that is a very good point to identify you can "treat" yourself only when you have invested in growing first, not the other way around.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.