- Joined
- Dec 18, 2020
- Messages
- 4
Rep Bank
$150
$150
User Power: 75%
After finishing high school in 2017, I've pretty much done nothing for 3 years.
I'm 21 and from Melbourne, Australia btw.
Because my family is well off thanks to my father, I never felt like I needed to get a job. I have no skills, no experience and no degree. I didn't go to university since schooling from age 6 to 18 was already mind numbing to me.
I've been trying to get into the habit of reading for years by buying random books on topics such as science, religion, economics, sales and negotiation. After purchasing the books, I never read a page despite promising myself that I would. Instead, I spent my time reading random blogs and going into youtube rabbit holes to convince myself I'm learning new things, but deep down, I know I won't remember most of the content I consume unless I apply it.
I buy things I don't need such as a electronic gadgets, subscriptions to services I barely use and etc. The only highlight in the past 3 years of my life is that I've traveled to Japan 3 times, South Korea and Singapore once each. Despite all this, I feel empty afterwards.
Then 2020 happened. I discovered the wisdom of Naval Ravikant.
"You will get rich by giving society what it wants but does not yet know how to get. At scale."
This quote by Naval Ravikant, seemed to resonate with me the most. It came from a twitter thread called 'How to Get Rich (without getting lucky)'. I don't know why I liked this quote so much at the time, but I just did.
The next epiphany was stumbling upon a James Jani video about money which talked about controlling your consumption no matter what level of income or production you generate. The most important topic in the video for me was about finding problems to solve at scale for the market/society in order to be rewarded by the market/society. It reminded of the Naval Ravikant quote above.
I noticed TMF and Unscripted were recommended by James Jani in the youtube description so I immediately ordered both books. When I started reading the TMF, I couldn't stop reading unless my eyes were to starting get tired. I'm a slow reader so I finished the book in 3 days. It was the first time in my life I read a proper book apart from required reading of To Kill a Mockingbird in high school. TMF was so eye opening and it seemed to espouse what Naval Ravikant says but in more detail, especially the Commandment of Need part. Time for me to switch from team consumption to team production.
I personally think Unscripted is better than TMF btw.
After reading TMF and Unscripted, I don't want to waste whatever is left of my youth. Even though 21 may not be old, I feel old after wasting the past 3 years of free time in my life, especially after reading TMF and Unscripted.
By reading both of MJ's books in less than a week, my brain now has evidence that I can finish books, which will help me continue learning without the need of an educational institution. I'll probably have to keep rereading TMF and Unscripted over and over until I fully absorb the concepts in those books.
For the first half of this century, I will learn some skills that will likely age well, persuasion, programming, financial literacy and mastering my own mind. Programming gives me the opportunity build solutions for society at minimal cost and virtually infinite scale in whichever industry I'm in. With persuasion, I need to be good at communicating, selling and marketing my solutions to reach and help as many people as possible in society. Financial literacy is to protect myself from risk or fraud as much as possible. Mastery of my own mind will be necessary in order to control my biases and consumption relative to production.
Although my family is well off, I know for sure my father does not have enough money for me to live off of for the next 20 to 100 years of my life (maybe medical science will allow me to live forever by then). At some point, I will have to get a job or use the opportunity I have now (free time without worrying about living costs) to create a business system that will allow me to reach financial independence. I will escape from my father's comfortable slowlane life and achieve the fastlane life by my own effort.
I'm 21 and from Melbourne, Australia btw.
Because my family is well off thanks to my father, I never felt like I needed to get a job. I have no skills, no experience and no degree. I didn't go to university since schooling from age 6 to 18 was already mind numbing to me.
I've been trying to get into the habit of reading for years by buying random books on topics such as science, religion, economics, sales and negotiation. After purchasing the books, I never read a page despite promising myself that I would. Instead, I spent my time reading random blogs and going into youtube rabbit holes to convince myself I'm learning new things, but deep down, I know I won't remember most of the content I consume unless I apply it.
I buy things I don't need such as a electronic gadgets, subscriptions to services I barely use and etc. The only highlight in the past 3 years of my life is that I've traveled to Japan 3 times, South Korea and Singapore once each. Despite all this, I feel empty afterwards.
Then 2020 happened. I discovered the wisdom of Naval Ravikant.
"You will get rich by giving society what it wants but does not yet know how to get. At scale."
This quote by Naval Ravikant, seemed to resonate with me the most. It came from a twitter thread called 'How to Get Rich (without getting lucky)'. I don't know why I liked this quote so much at the time, but I just did.
The next epiphany was stumbling upon a James Jani video about money which talked about controlling your consumption no matter what level of income or production you generate. The most important topic in the video for me was about finding problems to solve at scale for the market/society in order to be rewarded by the market/society. It reminded of the Naval Ravikant quote above.
I noticed TMF and Unscripted were recommended by James Jani in the youtube description so I immediately ordered both books. When I started reading the TMF, I couldn't stop reading unless my eyes were to starting get tired. I'm a slow reader so I finished the book in 3 days. It was the first time in my life I read a proper book apart from required reading of To Kill a Mockingbird in high school. TMF was so eye opening and it seemed to espouse what Naval Ravikant says but in more detail, especially the Commandment of Need part. Time for me to switch from team consumption to team production.
I personally think Unscripted is better than TMF btw.
After reading TMF and Unscripted, I don't want to waste whatever is left of my youth. Even though 21 may not be old, I feel old after wasting the past 3 years of free time in my life, especially after reading TMF and Unscripted.
By reading both of MJ's books in less than a week, my brain now has evidence that I can finish books, which will help me continue learning without the need of an educational institution. I'll probably have to keep rereading TMF and Unscripted over and over until I fully absorb the concepts in those books.
For the first half of this century, I will learn some skills that will likely age well, persuasion, programming, financial literacy and mastering my own mind. Programming gives me the opportunity build solutions for society at minimal cost and virtually infinite scale in whichever industry I'm in. With persuasion, I need to be good at communicating, selling and marketing my solutions to reach and help as many people as possible in society. Financial literacy is to protect myself from risk or fraud as much as possible. Mastery of my own mind will be necessary in order to control my biases and consumption relative to production.
Although my family is well off, I know for sure my father does not have enough money for me to live off of for the next 20 to 100 years of my life (maybe medical science will allow me to live forever by then). At some point, I will have to get a job or use the opportunity I have now (free time without worrying about living costs) to create a business system that will allow me to reach financial independence. I will escape from my father's comfortable slowlane life and achieve the fastlane life by my own effort.
Dislike ads? Become a Fastlane member:
Subscribe today and surround yourself with winners and millionaire mentors, not those broke friends who only want to drink beer and play video games. :-)
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts
Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.
You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.
- Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
- MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
- Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
- Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."— User Richard Peck
"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?
