The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Thoughts on the fastlane and college!

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ses

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
84%
Dec 14, 2014
"Bruh, just chose a product and go fastlane", "An MBA/College is not worth anything anymore, as there is free information everywhere, dude", "The others hustle, so you just have to hustle harder" and, in addition to the last one, "Work hard and smart, not just one of them" are the common wisdoms my friend Jack (I changed the name, obv.) "drops" at parties, in college (quite ironic, right?), and every other opportunity imaginable. And everyone listens, evryone is fascinated and everyone suddenly wants to go "fastlane". Well, for a handful of people this is quite good, because everyone and their grandmother reads the book, but this brings me to the problem. It's possible to compete against five, probably ten or maybe even 100 people, but against everyone? Sure, not everyone actually takes action, but did you ever recognise how quickly new items appear on ebay and amazon, how fast products on alibaba find the way into your country, how quickly new inventions are made? How many can actually support their family, how many become a millionaire with their idea? What about the others? How many frauds are on this forum? Didn't they "hustle hard"? Don't many of them have way more knowledge than you, you who read some cool book to be an "entrepreneur"? Guys, seriously, go to college, if you become a millionaire after it you can easily pay the loans off, and you will be able to start your business with way more experience. Also realise not everyone can be on the fastlane, and to succeed everything has to be on point. Good luck!

Disclaimer: I do not want to discredit M.J. DeMarcos book in any way and also do not try to convince people to go to the slowlane path. I just want to point out that not everyone will make it big and it's good to have a backup plan. Also, a good degree, work and college experience can be very helpful in building your business.

It would.be extremely interesting to get your views on this topic!

"Keep hustling cuz", jack, i know you're on here ;)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
D

DeletedUser394

Paragraphs.... But from the bit I could actually read (which was very little), the meat of it is you want people to go to college?

Telling people to go to college as a blanket statement is just as bad as telling people not to go to college.

It depends entirely upon the individual, the degree, the school, the debt and ability to repay, etc.

Lawyer, doctor, accountant, etc. You need university.
Other things? Debatable.

Prepare to read the same exact responses every time the topic of college comes up.

I no longer even have an opinion for/against college. But I'm absolutely positive college threads are annoying.

Some people don't want to waste 4 years of their life listening to assholes. Some people want to spend those 4 years getting wasted in between classes. Some people want to legitimately learn some new skills in college.

None of them are right or wrong. All up to the individual in question.

pickeringmt

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
364%
Apr 24, 2014
Dude, who cares what anyone else is doing.

If this isn't what you want, then go do what is. None of this has anything to do with opinion.

It isn't black and white, right or wrong.

If you don't think you can compete, then by all means go get a job for somebody that does.

G

GuestUser113

Paragraphs.... But from the bit I could actually read (which was very little), the meat of it is you want people to go to college?

Telling people to go to college as a blanket statement is just as bad as telling people not to go to college.

It depends entirely upon the individual, the degree, the school, the debt and ability to repay, etc.

Lawyer, doctor, accountant, etc. You need university.
Other things? Debatable.

Prepare to read the same exact responses every time the topic of college comes up.

I no longer even have an opinion for/against college. But I'm absolutely positive college threads are annoying.

Some people don't want to waste 4 years of their life listening to assholes. Some people want to spend those 4 years getting wasted in between classes. Some people want to legitimately learn some new skills in college.

None of them are right or wrong. All up to the individual in question.

dont_give_a_shit_morgan_freeman.gif

Digamma

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Nov 13, 2014
Hey, do you guys think TVs watch people in their free time?
Or in other words, who gives a shit about college? Go, don't go. If you care about this shit, you are losing at life.

If you don't think you can compete, then by all means go get a job for somebody that does.
This. Of course, a job career is still a competition - you just don't get to own the prize if you win.

Ses: understand, the world is kill or get killed. There are no consolation prizes.

Marc B.

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
204%
Sep 23, 2012
Oklahoma
The "fastlane" doesn't have a set of instructions for wealth generation--only a handful of principles that the author used to generate his wealth. As it turns out, the same principles have worked for others on this board. They're not required, only recommended.

Some people prefer to go to a university, and others prefer the school of hard knocks. There is no shame in either. There is only shame in settling for less than what you want and need when you know you're capable of achieving it.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
I am so glad you made this thread. This forum needed a good discussion about the pros and cons of going to college!

Kingsta

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Dec 6, 2014
I'm still at University and I'd consider myself successful. I setup multiple businesses during University and I'm setting up another 3 now. I also continue to work in finance (fastlane but wont go into detail).

The problem is, a lot of people on here will probably never make it! I wish everyone could but loads will fail for whatever reason. Having a degree is almost like having a safety net to sum degree on your future. Most of my classmates have been offered £40K+ out of University which is great if worse comes to worse.

You also have to remember that University takes up hardly any time, I only have 6-8 hours of lecture a week so I'm pretty much free the rest of the week to focus on fastlane stuff. I can't really see any downside of going to University and I'd say I'm in a better position to judge than most because I'm living it!

Although everyone is different...so the choice is yours :)

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
Are you kidding me? Another thread debating the pros and cons of college? Can we move past this already? Apparently not.

Chaseb731

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
104%
Oct 8, 2011
There are threads that make you want to leave for the day (or any other lengthy amount of time). This is one of them.

vinylawesome

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Aug 11, 2012
Original or Extra Crispy?

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
it's good to have a backup plan.

This is a myth, and a very costly one to believe. A college degree is as much as a backup as the shovel is in your garage. This antiquated thinking that was relevant in the 80's and 90's. There are millions of college grads (including MBA types) who are unemployed, or underemployed. Backup plan? Sure, if you're counting on a safety net as thick as the paper the degree is printed on.

Of course, not everyone cannot succeed or "go Fastlane" much like someone can't trade their way from $100 to $100 billion in 12 months-- it's economically impossible. When everyone in the workforce has a college degree, they become essentially worthless. I'd rather fight the thinner competition for excellence than fight for the stiff competition for mediocrity.

And Fastlane isn't exactly about becoming a billionaire, or even a deca+ millionaire-- but about owning your time. For example, there's that money mustache dude who isn't exactly wealthy monetarily, but certainly is in terms of time. Anyone who is happy is "fastlane".

Anyhow, the thread is closed as we don't want to suffer through another college thread. If you think college is a great path to a great life, then go. The truth is, whatever you think, is right. Pursue your happiness, not someone else's. Some kids are not ready for the real world and need 4 years of being told how to think by others who lived under the sheltered lights of academia. Others aren't cracked up to lead, but instead, need to follow. Some colleges can help ya for that. On the flip side, if you're getting a free-ride to Stanford, then yea, freaking go.

Either way, good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads