The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Thoughts on a business that involves renting out physical products?

G

Guest24480

I understand that rental systems are at the top of the list for passive income entrepreneurship (read this in TMF ), but does this include rentals of physical products? Or would that fall in a different category like distribution systems?

Also, if I were to approach something like this, how would I ensure that the products I am renting out are delivered back to me? What kind of pricing approach should I take (i.e. 5% of actual price of the product, 10%, 15%, etc.) to ensure that the value that the customer is receiving is higher than the price? Does this typically only work in a local setting? Maybe I'm looking too far ahead but I'm curious..

What are some good examples of successful businesses based on this model? First one that comes to mind would be movie rentals through the mail which is obviously a dying model, but I can't really think of many other examples.

I feel like it has to be a certain type of product for this to work (obviously nothing consumable or easily damaged). It would need to be something relatively expensive and out of a consumer's price range for them to want to rent it.

So maybe this isn't the greatest idea with a lack of capital, but I'd be interested in hearing other people's opinions this type of model because I may be missing something in my thought process.

Thanks in advance.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
Read a little bit about Rent a Center, as well as farm equipment rental companies

G

Guest24480

Cool thanks. I'm not sure if I could compete with rent-a-center unless I niched down or provided some kind of extra incentive or value to customers.

brandonrush

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Jul 23, 2012
Louisiana
Oilfield rental equipment.

Movie Industry equipment rental.

Construction equipment rental.

Wedding/party supply rental.

There are a ton of verticals in the rental category and they all have the possibility of being lucrative.

MoneyDoc

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
273%
Jun 24, 2014
I'm in the prefab/shipping container rental business! Lots of possibilities with these.

G

Guest24480

I'm in the prefab/shipping container rental business! Lots of possibilities with these.
Have you generated profit doing this? I'm guessing start-up costs are relatively high. Also it doesn't seem like there'd be a huge target market to work with.

MoneyDoc

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
273%
Jun 24, 2014
Have you generated profit doing this? I'm guessing start-up costs are relatively high. Also it doesn't seem like there'd be a huge target market to work with.
It's pure profits right now.

Cost for me was: 5x shipping containers ($3k each); so = about $20k with everything paid for and delivered.

I rent them out to construction companies: $500-600 a month (2500-3000 a month). I currently deal with 1 company who's renting 5 from me a month. So I already made back my money + profits in year 1, now it's all pure profit (I'm 20, it's a nice little passive income while I'm in university).

I'm looking for ways to scale, to get more construction companies, aiming for 10-30k a month (so need about 20 containers out, which doesn't seem like a lot...). If you find customers and you can scale, you can make amazing profits. Most people in my area (Toronto) sell the containers... I couldn't find a lot that rented. So I decided to hit that market. Construction companies would rather rent since they're mostly seasonal, so why carry the extra inventory when its just sitting there when you can just rent.

AndrewNC

Limitless
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
433%
Nov 14, 2011
Vehicle Leasing - Secured by contracts where you can have a collections agency go after them if they don't return it.

G

Guest24480

Cost for me was: 5x shipping containers ($3k each); so = about $20k with everything paid for and delivered.

I rent them out to construction companies: $500-600 a month (2500-3000 a month). I currently deal with 1 company who's renting 5 from me a month. So I already made back my money + profits in year 1, now it's all pure profit (I'm 20, it's a nice little passive income while I'm in university).

I'm looking for ways to scale, to get more construction companies, aiming for 10-30k a month (so need about 20 containers out, which doesn't seem like a lot...). If you find customers and you can scale, you can make amazing profits. Most people in my area (Toronto) sell the containers... I couldn't find a lot that rented. So I decided to hit that market. Construction companies would rather rent since they're mostly seasonal, so why carry the extra inventory when its just sitting there when you can just rent.

Very interesting. I never thought of it on a larger scale like that. I was thinking more along the lines of smaller-scale items and smaller profit/unit, but doing it your way makes it easy because you don't have to deal with too many customers. Are you ever worried about putting all your eggs in one basket? If that one company tanks then you have 0 customers. Then again you already have it paid off so it's not really a problem at this point, but was that an initial concern when you first started?

Vehicle Leasing - Secured by contracts where you can have a collections agency go after them if they don't return it.
I wasn't aware that vehicle leasing could be done on an independent basis. Something to look into for sure

MoneyDoc

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
273%
Jun 24, 2014
Very interesting. I never thought of it on a larger scale like that. I was thinking more along the lines of smaller-scale items and smaller profit/unit, but doing it your way makes it easy because you don't have to deal with too many customers. Are you ever worried about putting all your eggs in one basket? If that one company tanks then you have 0 customers. Then again you already have it paid off so it's not really a problem at this point, but was that an initial concern when you first started?
It was bro, during the first year, I tried hard looking for other clients as well, but when they said they wanted 5 and agreed to the rent instantly I knew they were long term. Luckily now I'll just be left with inventory if they tank me. 2 options there: 1) rent to other companies 2) just sell the containers if I don't want to do it anymore.

But it's a really stress-free model, so I'm trying to scale now. I have an excellent manufacturer in china.

My goal is 10-30k a month from this side business.

MarkNNelson

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
232%
Jul 12, 2013
Colorado
But it's a really stress-free model, so I'm trying to scale now. I have an excellent manufacturer in china.

Are we talking about standard 40-foot containers? Looks like they're available throughout the US in as-is condition for $1500-$3000. What made you choose to import them from China?

MoneyDoc

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
273%
Jun 24, 2014
Are we talking about standard 40-foot containers? Looks like they're available throughout the US in as-is condition for $1500-$3000. What made you choose to import them from China?
I'm talking about pre-fabricated ones. Like a mini-trailer home. Kitchen and washroom included. Excellent for construction workers.

teabag

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
72%
Jun 21, 2013
Australia
Portaloos for construction sites? Events and festivals?

I know one company in Sydney Australia that rents each Portaloo for $200 for friday pick up and monday drop off.

Then you can have 3-4 months hires for construction sites. This would include fortnightly cleaning and service though.

You can rent anything.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
So maybe this isn't the greatest idea with a lack of capital, but I'd be interested in hearing other people's opinions this type of model because I may be missing something in my thought process.

Love this type of business. As for the logistics, every business will be different. The first step here would be to reverse engineer a similar, esetalbished business and mimic, or improve what they do.

I feel like it has to be a certain type of product for this to work (obviously nothing consumable or easily damaged). It would need to be something relatively expensive and out of a consumer's price range for them to want to rent it.

Fear easy... easy, is well, too easy. When something is hard, then there is a problem to be solved. And wantrepreneurs don't want to solve problems and have things be hard, they want easy.

G

Guest24480

Love this type of business. As for the logistics, every business will be different. The first step here would be to reverse engineer a similar, esetalbished business and mimic, or improve what they do.

Fear easy... easy, is well, too easy. When something is hard, then there is a problem to be solved. And wantrepreneurs don't want to solve problems and have things be hard, they want easy.
Thanks MJ, you really sparked something creative in my brain. I began to look at other rental companies and an idea popped into my head when I looked into their model a little deeper. Although the idea was taken and established, I reversed the idea and thought of an even better one.

I'm going to begin some market research to see if the demand is there. It's a very large and expandable niche as well, so it won't be easy but I'm up for the challenge. Wish me luck!

G

Guest24480

I'm talking about pre-fabricated ones. Like a mini-trailer home. Kitchen and washroom included. Excellent for construction workers.
Also, how did you initially store them? I'm not going into the prefab business but I have another sizeable item in mind for renting and I live in an apartment so I have no idea where to keep them. Storage facility?

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
Also, how did you initially store them? I'm not going into the prefab business but I have another sizeable item in mind for renting and I live in an apartment so I have no idea where to keep them. Storage facility?
RV lot?

TaylorB

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Jul 10, 2014
Currently in Calgary/Kelowna
An idea would be to buy a cheap truck that can move them for 5K or you can find someone to move them for you.

Then contact some farm owners or people with tons of property outside of town... Ideally you'd want to move them from one rental and have the next one lined up right away.

TaylorB

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Jul 10, 2014
A friend of mine bought some sort of oil head motor. I wish I remembered exactly what It was, but basically he found a company that needed the item so he said he has one to rent. He signed a 3 year contract for them renting it for like 15K/ month, He then went to purchase it with a 150K loan. He did pretty well on just renting one item and then sold it after. This was in Colombia.

G

Guest24480

A friend of mine bought some sort of oil head motor. I wish I remembered exactly what It was, but basically he found a company that needed the item so he said he has one to rent. He signed a 3 year contract for them renting it for like 15K/ month, He then went to purchase it with a 150K loan. He did pretty well on just renting one item and then sold it after. This was in Colombia.

So he found a client first to validate the need and then went and bought the thing? What if the company tanked? They're still legally responsible for paying the 15k every month I'm assuming..

This is something I may do on a lower scale (pick an item, find clients, draft the legal stuff, then go out and buy what I need). Correct me if my logic is flawed in this instance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TaylorB

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Jul 10, 2014
Well if the company tanked the company could be legally responsible for paying but if there is no company you wouldn't get paid. So it would be on you!

I think that industry in the PRODUCING sector should be fairly stable. It's usually the Exploration sectors that are much more up in the air.

vinylawesome

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Aug 11, 2012

lovecharm

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
214%
Jun 13, 2013
Delaware, USA
Co-incident or what.

This morning I was telling my dad whether I should rent out our SUV in Asia. As we don't use it and he told me to sell it. If I sold it then I would get about $40,000. Those sort of SUV's rents out around $2000 a month in Asia.

But obviously, my dad is concerned about people ruining the vehicle and maintenance cost going up etc. Also, we have used the vehicle for last 5 years, so its not in the tip top condition either.. So in two minds about it.

We rent out apartments, we have several in London and Asia, also thinking of getting an apartment in LA (and rent it out on airbnb when I am not around)as we have made a decision to open up an office there. Apartments has been fine, some people have damaged 2 of our apartments but we repaired them from their deposit, but we do have to do some work on the apartments once the tenant leaves but not a big problem in that sector.

However never rented out physical equipments before.. I guess the main concern was people damaging them which could cost way more to repair then the rent.

So its good to hear how other peoples feedback is and how they are doing.

Jamesdoesmith

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Aug 14, 2014
I had an idea like this once

I once had a bulldog puppy and it help me get "attention from ladies"

so we could go to some beach focused town. rent out puppies that are extremely cute at an hourly rate. if it doesn't work we have a disclaimer saying it aint the puppies fault. if it does work we get a happy customer and repeat business.

rent-a-puppy

daivey

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Apr 6, 2014
While i like the idea of your post something doesn't quite add up.

First your 20 and you're in university. . But somehow you came up with this idea. It's believable but what i don't believe is how you claim the profits are there.

Second you rent then to a company. Who pays to move them from site to site? You just put 5 containers in Toronto on some notin use parkinglot??? How did you get them to the first companies job site?
Like something just doesn't addup in your story i feel like this might be your parents business or something any way maybe I'm wrong hope it works out for you

Harley

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
114%
Jun 9, 2014
The guy who made that decision to rent a $150K piece of equipment for 3 years at $15K/month should be fired.

sQri

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
64%
Apr 27, 2014
I was thinking of entering the rental Business with Lego, but then I saw, that there is already one in Germany.
But I guess, it's hard to find a rental industry without competition.

So I think I should try it and do better than the rest

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.