• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Trading Life for a Weekend?
    Build a Business, Build a Life.
    Unleash the Dream.

Become an UNSCRIPTED™Entrepreneur.

UNSCRIPTED™ Entrepreneurship is an entrepreneurial business strategy that unleashes dreams, frees time, and explodes your incomes—but more importantly, it changes your life forever. Make no mistake; this isn’t something you “try”— this is something you live.

FREE Download (Unscripted) FREE Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

FORUM SEARCH

Need answers about entrepreneurship? Search FIRST! More than likely your entrepreneurial topic has already been discussed.
Powered by Google Site Search.

Those Of You Who Ship Physical Products...

Discussion in 'General Entrepreneur Discussion' started by pgtownsyou, Aug 12, 2017.

Tags:
  1. pgtownsyou

pgtownsyou Forge Ahead Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $717
    What do you do when you ship a product out, tracking info indicates that the shipment has been delivered, and the customer says they haven't received it?

This has been happening to me more and more often lately and I'm not sure of the best way to handle it.

ExcelGuy and OldFaithful like this.
  2. 100speed

100speed Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $214
    I have had this problem before, just email them as politely as possible and say the tracking code that we gave you indicates that the package has arrived, please be double sure to check your post box. I've had one instance where I had advertised my product as a brand and my fulfilment system didn't send it in a branded package so he didn't think the item had arrived. Also had someone try to chargeback, if you have tracking with a verified courier e.g. USPS and provide the bank or payment processor with the code- Paypal or the bank will usually side with you.

3. hughjasle

hughjasle AutoPilot Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $13,489
    Who do you use for shipping?

Send another and use verified shipping this time. Make them sign for it.

That or refund and move on.

If you are doing the UPS + USPS shipping (super cheap rates) I noticed nonstop issues like that and others. Have had WAY less issues since bringing all shipping in house and only using USPS.

OldFaithful likes this.
  4. biophase

biophase Legendary Contributor I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $119,522
    If the customer checks and still can't find the package, I just ship them another one.

5. AllenCrawley

AllenCrawley Legendary Contributor Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $74,249
    First, I share that tracking shows delivered. Then explain what the box looks like and the size. Then to please check front door, driveway, main office (if an apartment) and their neighbors. Most eventually find it. A few rare occasions tracking shows delivered one day but doesn't actually get delivered until the next day. If they come back stating still not found I ship them a new one. Depending on the total value I may have a signature required.

6. MoreVolume

MoreVolume Bronze Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $917
    This happens to me every now and then. Most of the time, they're lying.
    I always reply quickly, and tell them that I will call USPS and start an "investigation"
    I've realized quickly that if you mention a few key words, you can see if they're for real or not.
    A day later I reply saying that there was no sign of "fraud" or "theft". They always reply apologizing, telling me that the mail just arrived or something stupid, pretty much admitting that they were trying to get free stuff.
    Theres only been one time where my customer didn't get his stuff, and I actually got a notice from Shopify that USPS was going to return to sender.

7. Ecom man

Ecom man Platinum Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $27,229
    I always tell them what the tracking number says but I have had many times where a package is scanned as delivered and isn't delivered until the following day. It sucks!

Assuming that they have waited at least 24 hours I have them contact their local post office with the tracking number and see if their mail carrier can tell them exactly where the package was left. I then tell them that if they are unable to locate it the USPS will open an investigation into the package as mail theft is a federal crime.

If none of the above work I will send another one to a different address (work, friends, family) or ship with signature confirmation.

ExcelGuy and D.I.Schuyler like this.
  8. funkj25

funkj25 Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $2,297
    Ecom Man beat me to it here. That's almost my method to a T here.

In short, educate the customer about all the steps you can take together to find it, don't accuse anyone of theft. This should help get rid of most of the rif raff and only leave genuine customers who've not received packages.

From there, have them check with neighbors (that's happened) and if nobody has seen it, just send a new one.

I see it as a marketing expense. I actually ended up getting a 5 star review out of replacing a damaged in transit product FBA sent out that I shouldn't have had to paid for, but did anyway because a happy customer (giving them benefit of the doubt for all things postal related) is better than an unhappy customer.

Yes, you'll eventually get "scammed," but the cost is worth covering the genuine issues that come up as well and keeping people happy.

9. Vigilante

Vigilante Legendary Contributor Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $142,305
    It is a cost of doing business. Play for the 99% of transactions that goes smoothly, and eat the 1% that doesn't.

ExcelGuy, Fox, OldFaithful and 4 others like this.
  10. JAJT

JAJT Ha Ha! Business Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $48,240
    Exactly what I do almost to the letter.
    Marked as arrived and only arriving a few days later accounts for MOST of these things. I have no idea how it happens. Someone at USPS butt-dials the shipment? No idea.

This happens once in a hundred or so transactions. Usually only during the busy season (AKA door to door theft season) so I genuinely have no issue sending out a new one.

That being said, they only get one chance at a replacement. I won't send a third item. I'll refund the initial order if they press at that point.

ExcelGuy and OldFaithful like this.
  11. Davy123

Davy123 Davy I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER

Rep Bank:
    $53
    This may seem obvious, use shipper tracking or dilivery confermation. Just a thought. It's ok to pay more if you get more. I hope you find a solution..

OldFaithful likes this.
  12. biophase

biophase Legendary Contributor I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $119,522
    Sadly most of my biggest losses come from shipping to Amazon. They lose shit all the time and say my shipment is ineligible for investigation.

ZF Lee likes this.
  13. Davy123

Davy123 Davy I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER

Rep Bank:
    $53
    In my area Amozon is not using FedEx, Ups, or Usps... A van pull-ups and drops off a package... In my opinion there cutting corners to save money which is understandable. You may want to specify they use shippers they can track your packages. Tell them it's costing you money. I know what I'm suggesting is easer said than done.. The solution is to specify who handles your product. Best of luck..

ExcelGuy likes this.
  14. rollerskates

rollerskates Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $2,682
    I've had this happen. I do all of the check with the neighbors, etc, but I also:

Ask if anyone else lives at that address who might have the package, like did the husband stick in his office, did the dog carry it off, etc. And is it a college dorm? Building with a doorman? Basement apt? Is it in the manager's office? Was it chucked in the flower bed (UPS in particular likes to do this).

15. D.I.Schuyler

D.I.Schuyler Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $152
    Do any of you have physical products shipped from China? I've started an eCommerce business using Shopify as my platform and will be looking to ship my physical products from there.

ExcelGuy likes this.
  16. ZF Lee

ZF Lee Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $4,378
    What makes shipment 'ineligible' for investigation?:happy:

17. OldFaithful

OldFaithful Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $6,267
    FYI, I've learned that the USPS now uses GPS to log the location of delivery for most/all packages. I don't know how widespread the practice might be, but in my area the postal worker can look up the exact GPS location that was recorded when the package was marked as "delivered". All you need to do is call the local post office.

pgtownsyou and ExcelGuy like this.