The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

This is how you FAIL at Black Friday

integrity

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
307%
Apr 6, 2014
Same thing happened with Namecheap last night.

I was getting some domain names and they went down for nearly an hour right after 12am.

You'd think a company that sells hosting would make sure their own servers are up to the task of handling Black Friday traffic.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

wade1mil

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
246%
Jun 29, 2011
For a new business owner and technical idiot such as myself. What precautions can be taken in order to avoid this? I use Hostgator shared at the moment.

If you use shared hosting, there is nothing you can do to stop this from happening. If someone that's using the same server drains the bandwidth, there's nothing you can do.

mt_myke

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
105%
Mar 25, 2014
Montana
For a new business owner and technical idiot such as myself. What precautions can be taken in order to avoid this? I use Hostgator shared at the moment.
It's a problem you'll be glad to have for a startup. I have my current biz site on a single AWS server. If traffic gets crazy I can jack it up to a much more powerful machine in 60 seconds, and have all the content served from Cloudfront or another CDN within a few hours.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
It's a problem you'll be glad to have for a startup. I have my current biz site on a single AWS server. If traffic gets crazy I can jack it up to a much more powerful machine in 60 seconds, and have all the content served from Cloudfront or another CDN within a few hours.

The most common misconception of that, is that unless you are mirroring the data constantly, you wont be able to access the machine without taking it down completely to allocate resources to it. It is not something you want to deal with in the thick of things because depending on they types of databases you have and how you have to shut them down... you can corrupt data. This is especially true with e-commerce because of orders and CC processing, you can really create a lot of problems.

Step1 for everyone is don't use shared hosting if you are running a serious business, and if you have a hosted platform, make sure they can handle load as well. A lot of those big hosted e-cart companies have the same slow incompetent support that shared hosts have, and that can leave you in the hole on your breakout superstar hour.

Red

Nigerian Lottery Prince
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Feb 23, 2010
Phoenix
I'm pretty sure I crashed it shopping from my Blackberry. VIVA LA RIM NETWORK.

Digamma

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Nov 13, 2014
Wait, hold on for a second. Are you guys telling me that businesses of that magnitude are shared hosting on GoDaddy?
That is, well, surreal. I wouldn't host a blog about my turtles on those services.

mt_myke

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
105%
Mar 25, 2014
Montana
Wait, hold on for a second. Are you guys telling me that businesses of that magnitude are shared hosting on GoDaddy?
That is, well, surreal. I wouldn't host a blog about my turtles on those services.

Pretty sure that's a joke, but whatever Best Buy is actually doing - it ain't workin'! It's especially embarrasing for a company that SELLS mobile devices to be caught off-guard by the amount of mobile traffic they got on New Black Friday (what we used to call Thanksgiving). They should have been keenly aware of trends in mobile adoption, and what it would mean for capacity requirements of their mobile ecomm system.

smarty

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Jan 2, 2013
recovering like a boss:

e5c8c3ee617f2e24994becf82b7231f0[1].png

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA

Lots of things but each really depends on what your business is and how it's handled online. If you have a run down somewhere, I'd be happy to give you some jump off points to look into if you are at a point of need.

mt_myke

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
105%
Mar 25, 2014
Montana
Bingo! The sky aint falling. At the end of the "day", I'd be curious if BB even took a loss?
Missing out on Thursday afternoon/evening, now the busiest shopping event of the yeat? When Target claimed to be selling 1800 televisions every minute? You bet they lost sales...

AlterJoule

Busy Working.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
205%
Aug 7, 2014
Lots of things but each really depends on what your business is and how it's handled online. If you have a run down somewhere, I'd be happy to give you some jump off points to look into if you are at a point of need.

I'll shoot you a message on Facebook

KLaw

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
Aug 4, 2012
ohio
Missing out on Thursday afternoon/evening, now the busiest shopping event of the yeat? When Target claimed to be selling 1800 televisions every minute? You bet they lost sales...
True - but i bet they make it up in the following days. Could be a good thing? "Missed Black Friday? Now you can make up for it". IDK. Im not supporting BB but I dont think it is the end of the world for them either. They can come up with some killer sells for cyber Monday - maybe?

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
I'll shoot you a message on Facebook

Shoot me a msg here instead. Not trying to be rude, but I share a lot of personal things on Facebook so I don't really accept people I haven't met in person and... for the most part, trust.

You can send me an email as well.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.