The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

This could be the next facebook

D

DeletedUser84644

This will be a social media platform like no other. It's quite a neat concept. It basically puts all the features of different social medias and functions of a website into one. Check it out!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

sknowles

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Feb 18, 2021
The Bahamas
This will be a social media platform like no other. It's quite a neat concept. It basically puts all the features of different social medias and functions of a website into one. Check it out!

Hey, this looks good to me. It's sounding like a mega-platform to watch.

mdot

Always Improve.
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
190%
Dec 24, 2020
Ontario, Canada
@FauxPas is this your venture? The post you linked was published one day after your forum join date, coincidence..?

Edit:
Just in case this was a legitimate post seeking discussion, I'm not sure what the added value of a social media service like this is. Facebook already connects people, shares video, has business pages etc, dropbox hosts files, youtube has videos, instagram has photos, reddit has niche communities, Medium has long-form... If the value added is that they are all-in-one on this service, I raise you the ultimate all-in-one service: the web browser.

This is how I picture any attempt at a "unified" social media.

Last edited:

mdot

Always Improve.
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
190%
Dec 24, 2020
Ontario, Canada
Also, the "pitfalls" of existing social media are usually carefully chosen to add value. E.g:
  • Twitter: there is no technical restriction on 280 characters. If they wanted to I'm sure they could increase it (as they have in the past). The value of Twitter is that posts are short. concise, and easily digestible which lends well to the "personal conversational style" that has made Twitter so popular.
  • Instagram probably doesn't allow links in posts to ensure that 95% of a post's content is completely encapsulated in the photo

D

DeletedUser84644

@FauxPas is this your venture? The post you linked was published one day after your forum join date, coincidence..?

Edit:
Just in case this was a legitimate post seeking discussion, I'm not sure what the added value of a social media service like this is. Facebook already connects people, shares video, has business pages etc, dropbox hosts files, youtube has videos, instagram has photos, reddit has niche communities, Medium has long-form... If the value added is that they are all-in-one on this service, I raise you the ultimate all-in-one service: the web browser.

This is how I picture any attempt at a "unified" social media.
No this is a coincidence. I came across MJ's stuff a little bit before August. Screenshot_20210305-171826.png

Screenshot_20210305-171847.pngAnd then I discovered what equity crowdfunding was in August.
Screenshot_20210305-172544.png
And then I invested in it just recently Screenshot_20210305-180834.png
NOTE: They started their beta launch in August, same goes for their crowdfund. However I actually first invested in it in september and waited months for it to close its round. Screenshot_20210305-180811.png

But it didn't so I was like "Well F*ck, this isn't going anywhere". So I cancelled it. But later on I was like "Wait a minute I could do something to help it get funding. All I need to do is figure out where to spread the word of its existence so that it can reach its funding faster. This is ridiculously undervalued, just why the F*ck haven't more people invested in this shit already? It's at nearly 50% funding right now!" And because I could see this become something big I was like"ehh why not invest $1,000 this time and stick with it right? It's already pretty promising and its founder has had success in the past before. I'll regret not making a bold investment into this company at 19 if I end up seeing it become successful. I'd rather risk losing the money than risk a regret I'll have later in my life. I've got decent savings anyway and shouldn't throw me off too much, but that's it. No more investments after this one and this other I'll make in CrowdLustro." Here are some other investments I've made on the platform:Screenshot_20210305-172640.pngScreenshot_20210305-172932.png
Since the SEC limits how much you can invest I haven't put much money in those other investments. Because I want to limit my losses and not exceed my investing limit too early. So yes I want to see it get more funding and attention than it has right now. (I know this is going to roll some people's eyes. But how else can people know about something if it isn't talked about? Most of the avenues to do it are shit and isn't understood by many because most people don't know what equity crowdfunding is. So this was the best place I could think of to do it.) Anyway I hope that has absolved some skepticism that I might have brought (although I understand this will roll some eyes in this community).

Tats1515

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Dec 9, 2020
Panama City, Panama
No this is a coincidence. I came across MJ's stuff a little bit before August. View attachment 37065

View attachment 37067And then I discovered what equity crowdfunding was in August.
View attachment 37069
And then I invested in it just recently View attachment 37074
NOTE: They started their beta launch in August, same goes for their crowdfund. However I actually first invested in it in september and waited months for it to close its round. View attachment 37071

But it didn't so I was like "Well f*ck, this isn't going anywhere". So I cancelled it. But later on I was like "Wait a minute I could do something to help it get funding. All I need to do is figure out where to spread the word of its existence so that it can reach its funding faster. This is ridiculously undervalued, just why the f*ck haven't more people invested in this shit already? It's at nearly 50% funding right now!" And because I could see this become something big I was like"ehh why not invest $1,000 this time and stick with it right? It's already pretty promising and its founder has had success in the past before. I'll regret not making a bold investment into this company at 19 if I end up seeing it become successful. I'd rather risk losing the money than risk a regret I'll have later in my life. I've got decent savings anyway and shouldn't throw me off too much, but that's it. No more investments after this one and this other I'll make in CrowdLustro." Here are some other investments I've made on the platform:View attachment 37072View attachment 37073
Since the SEC limits how much you can invest I haven't put much money in those other investments. Because I want to limit my losses and not exceed my investing limit too early. So yes I want to see it get more funding and attention than it has right now. (I know this is going to roll some people's eyes. But how else can people know about something if it isn't talked about? Most of the avenues to do it are shit and isn't understood by many because most people don't know what equity crowdfunding is. So this was the best place I could think of to do it.) Anyway I hope that has absolved some skepticism that I might have brought (although I understand this will roll some eyes in this community).
Thanks for sharing this @FauxPas I just checked WeFunder and saw the video of Gides’ investors questions and the platform’s founder answers....and my humble personal opinion is that actually the guy is right regarding the possibilities and business model.

Let me share something: I live in Latinamerica, in Panama, where the Internet penetration and bandwidth is not as good as in developed counties, but the Pandemic made it a critical issue for governments in terms of reaching students for homeschooling.
This situation also brought an increase in smartphones, tablets and laptops sales, but most of all phones and tablets. The need to purchase these tools also brought more constraints on family resources for other basic needs. Imagine a family with 4+ kids, with limited resources in different school levels.. all having classes at the same time in their own meeting platforms in the same 4m x 4m room.

Bear with me a little more here... these families are heavily dependent on informal jobs and agriculture ( some of us could say perfect slow lane candidates) most of the time interacting on WhatsApp, FB, IG ( all FB companies) to promote their products or services. These people are not going to build websites or hire web designers, they don’t have the skills (yet) or the money for getting a hosting, set up an SSL certificate, do the arts, do the SEO, do the analytics, etc, etc, etc, and they need a better way to share and sell their products and services. So maybe in the near future a platform like Gides ( and please don’t take me wrong, I haven’t signed up on WeFunder or invested yet) could be a good option for a wide, very wide population that lacks technical/digital skills, as mentioned in the investors video. They are skilled for other jobs or talents that the humankind still needs.

Last edited:

Kasimir

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Sep 4, 2020
Switzerland
Sounds like a great platform. However, I couldn't agree more with @mdot. It's a difficult niche with giant players. The only way I see an opportunity is if they have a feature nobody else has, so they get a lot of costumers. And then they realize that they don't need the other platforms because gides includes everything.

D

DeletedUser84644

Thanks for sharing this @FauxPas I just checked WeFunder and saw the video of Gides’ investors questions and the platform’s founder answers....and my humble personal opinion is that actually the guy is right regarding the possibilities and business model.

Let me share something: I live in Latinamerica, in Panama, where the Internet penetration and bandwidth is not as good as in developed counties, but the Pandemic made it a critical issue for governments in terms of reaching students for homeschooling.
This situation also brought an increase in smartphones, tablets and laptops sales, but most of all phones and tablets. The need to purchase these tools also brought more constraints on family resources for other basic needs. Imagine a family with 4+ kids, with limited resources in different school levels.. all having classes at the same time in their own meeting platforms in the same 4m x 4m room.

Bear with me a little more here... these families are heavily dependent on informal jobs and agriculture ( some of us could say perfect slow lane candidates) most of the time interacting on WhatsApp, FB, IG ( all FB companies) to promote their products or services. These people are not going to build websites or hire web designers, they don’t have the skills (yet) or the money for getting a hosting, set up an SSL certificate, do the arts, do the SEO, do the analytics, etc, etc, etc, and they need a better way to share and sell their products and services. So maybe in the near future a platform like Gides ( and please don’t take me wrong, I haven’t signed up on WeFunder or invested yet) could be a good option for a wide, very wide population that lacks technical/digital skills, as mentioned in the investors video. They are skilled for other jobs or talents that the humankind still needs.
That's ok, don't feel like you have to. No one can accurately predict the future of a startup, but they can get a rough idea. And sometimes even with by your best estimates it can still fail nonetheless. Regardless, this is is a risky of thing to do. 90% of startups do indeed fail, so this isn't something you should put precious savings in. Only money you're completely willing to throw away. While you only have to be right once to make up the losses, you still can't go to crazy with it, it's why non accredited investors are limited by how much they can invest.

D

DeletedUser84644

Also, the "pitfalls" of existing social media are usually carefully chosen to add value. E.g:
  • Twitter: there is no technical restriction on 280 characters. If they wanted to I'm sure they could increase it (as they have in the past). The value of Twitter is that posts are short. concise, and easily digestible which lends well to the "personal conversational style" that has made Twitter so popular.
  • Instagram probably doesn't allow links in posts to ensure that 95% of a post's content is completely encapsulated in the photo

Sounds like a great platform. However, I couldn't agree more with @mdot. It's a difficult niche with giant players. The only way I see an opportunity is if they have a feature nobody else has, so they get a lot of costumers. And then they realize that they don't need the other platforms because gides includes everything.
I see it as becoming a more professional social media if that makes sense. I know that it'll have some kind of value skew, it just hasn't manifested itself yet or isn't quite foreseeable.

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
Not gonna work unless they have another giant such as Amazon+Microsoft investing in it to fight against existing giants.

There's a lot of Instagram "replacements" but all are unheard of. It's not the features but the marketing warchest behind it that makes things like this succeed.

D

DeletedUser84644

Not gonna work unless they have another giant such as Amazon+Microsoft investing in it to fight against existing giants.

There's a lot of Instagram "replacements" but all are unheard of. It's not the features but the marketing warchest behind it that makes things like this succeed.
They don't have absolute power to stifle their competition. They can make it difficult, sure. But if Gides ends up being creative enough, it can make it work. I think the biggest pitfall for this company is how will it get people to use it. Once people understand its value, there will be nothing the big companies can do to stop it. Even if they tried, they'd face immense criticism and will pay for it with their pockets. I'm sure the founder knows the challenge ahead that comes with big tech, not even attempting to do better than your competition b/c "They're too big" is like giving into the crowded room myth. because it's hard doesn't excuse not trying.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
It almost feels like a MySpace had MySpace continued to evolve. That said, anything that can knock FB off its pedestal would be great.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.