The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The value of purpose

Anything related to matters of the mind

Jr.khan

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Jul 5, 2022
Hi all, just wanted to share a small "revelation" I had today. It's been 3 months since I started working on my fastlane journey. So yes I'm still very fresh and am not successful in my endeavour...yet! But that's why I wanted to share this post today. Part of the fastlane journey and a very important... if not the most important part is your purpose. My definition of purpose is how many times are you going to get knocked down but get back up. How many steps are you going to continue to take to improve and become better even after you've had a few wins, will you get complacent ?

A little background on my business. I have started a lead gen business generating leads for local couriers. My focus is on attracting quality leads from small businesses owners in my city and bringing them to the doorsteps of local couriers. Local couriers are able to offer more afforadable rates than the big guys. Back to my small "revelation". Earlier today I was on the phone trying to get my first listing on my site, I was scared. But my purpose became stronger than my fear of "not saying the right thing" or "blowing the deal entirely". My purpose allowed me to relax and i was able to recollect all the knowledge I've absorbed around the field that I'm entering and I was able to communicate confidently. Long story short I got one step toward landing my first courier to list on my site (waiting on a response as we speak).

After that phone call, this sense of "I don't care whether they say no or yes" nothing is going to stop me achieving what I set out to achieve. I think this came from actually being on the phone with someone and trying to convince them of my value. I actually wasn't ready for the phone call as they were the ones that called me but I did it and it got me somewhere! This is the first time I've felt anything like that for any ventures I have pursued. It was....refreshing. To those who are having trouble identifying their purpose I'll share mine. One is my purpose for my company and the other, my life's purpose. My companies purpose is to combat high shipping costs, starting off in my city and then I'm going to somehow tackle the country lol. Because I'm a small business owner of a clothing brand I know first hand that the shipping costs almost deterred me from even launching the business. I couldn't justify shipping costs costing me more than it took to make my product. Once I found a solution I some how became passionate on finding a way to help other small business owners with the same issue this lead to creating my site.

My life's purpose - retire my parents and attain time freedom.

J

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Awesome story, thanks for sharing your experience. Purpose drives motivation, and the power to do what others will not.

Jr.khan

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Jul 5, 2022
Hi all just wanted to document another step in the process. Today I had another call with a potential client. This time I cold called THEM. I was scared, took some deep breathes then just hit dial (again purpose driven). I managed to get through to the decision maker and blew it. Why I blew it, #1 im not a salesman have no experience in sales yet alone cold calling. I never even practised or wrote down a script before the call. #2 from research on how to cold call and sales books that I have read, your role if you're trying to sell something to someone is you should do 20% of the talking and 80% of listening. I did the opposite... actually I think i just skewed the percentage totally I think it was more like I spoke 90% and listened 10% lol. I went on a rant on what my business is and what my value was and this that and the other thing, not even sure I took a breathe. But by the time I did take a breathe she said "not interested"

I went back to my desk, I wasn't totally distraught as I know I'm not going to win them all but my gut didn't feel right. I hated how I managed that call. I called up my wife to tell her what happened and jokingly told her you know what maybe I should call her back and apologize just to save face lol and we were both like "yeah, why not whats there to lose". I was like ok maybe i'll call back tomorrow but my wife insisted on calling back right away. So I did. This time even more scared...took some deep breathes then just hit dial. I got through and I literally apologized for that chaotic interaction. I controlled my tone and emotions and asked If I could ask a question if possible... "why aren't you interested" ?
She gave me her answer. I listened and responded with how I think I could help. This follow up call led me from a "not interested" to her now wanting to see my site. Not sure what the outcome will be but my gut feels better.

J

G-Cream

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Mar 26, 2020
Canada
Hey Kahn, good job making the follow up call, that takes guts.

Just like anything in life, comfort will come with experience. When you are new at doing something, be it learning to type, drive a car, make a cold call, you tend to think of every step involved in the process. Unfortunately, the way to get better is to keep doing it, keep making mistakes, keep embarrassing yourself, and almost guaranteed, it will become second nature and the right words will be flying out of your mouth

You’re on the right track my friend and already doing what most people are not willing to do. Keep it up! We all need cheaper shipping and we’re all counting on you!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Jr.khan

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Jul 5, 2022
Hey Kahn, good job making the follow up call, that takes guts.

Just like anything in life, comfort will come with experience. When you are new at doing something, be it learning to type, drive a car, make a cold call, you tend to think of every step involved in the process. Unfortunately, the way to get better is to keep doing it, keep making mistakes, keep embarrassing yourself, and almost guaranteed, it will become second nature and the right words will be flying out of your mouth

You’re on the right track my friend and already doing what most people are not willing to do. Keep it up! We all need cheaper shipping and we’re all counting on you!
Thanks @G-Cream appreciate the positive words!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.