The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The US tax system in terms of beer.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
This is good!

Suppose that every day, ten men go out for beer and the bill for all ten comes to $100 and if they paid their bill the way we pay our taxes, it would go something like this:

The first four men (the poorest) would pay nothing. The fifth would
...pay $1. The sixth would pay $3. The seventh would pay $7. The eighth would pay $12. The ninth would pay $18. The tenth man (the richest) would pay $59.)

So, that's what they decided to do.

The ten men drank in the bar every day and seemed quite happy with the arrangement, until one day, the owner threw them a curve. "Since you are all such good customers," he said, "I'm going to reduce the cost of your daily beer by $20." So drinks for the ten now cost just $80.

The group still wanted to pay their bill the way we pay our taxes so the first four men were unaffected. They would still drink for free...but what about the other six men - the paying customers? How could they divide the $20 windfall so that everyone would get his ‘fair share’? They realized that $20 divided by six is $3.33. But if they subtracted that from everybody's share, then the fifth man and the sixth man would each end up being paid to drink his beer.

So, the bar owner suggested that it would be fair to reduce each man's bill by roughly the same amount and he proceeded to work out the amounts each should pay. And so:

The fifth man, like the first four, now paid nothing (100% savings). The sixth now paid $2 instead of $3 (33%savings). The seventh now pay $5 instead of $7 (28%savings). The eighth now paid $9 instead of $12 (25% savings). The ninth now paid $14 instead of $18 (22% savings). The tenth now paid $49 instead of $59 (16% savings).

Each of the six was better off than before...and the first four continued to drink for free. But once outside the restaurant, the men began to compare their savings.

"I only got a dollar out of the $20,"declared the sixth man. He pointed to the tenth man," but he got $10!"

"Yeah, that's right," exclaimed the fifth man. "I only saved a dollar, too. It's unfair that he got ten times more than I!"

"That's true!!" shouted the seventh man. "Why should he get $10 back when I got only two? The wealthy get all the breaks!"

"Wait a minute," yelled the first four men in unison. "We didn't get anything at all. The system exploits the poor!"

The nine men surrounded the tenth and beat him up.

The next night the tenth man didn't show up for drinks, so the nine sat down and had beers without him. But when it came time to pay the bill, they discovered something important. They didn't have enough money between all of them for even half of the bill!

And that, ladies and gentlemen, journalists and college professors, is how our tax system works. The people who pay the highest taxes get the most benefit from a tax reduction. Tax them too much, attack them for being wealthy, and they just may not show up anymore. In fact, they might start drinking overseas where the atmosphere is somewhat friendlier.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
I like beer. I no like taxes.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
Why don't girls like beer?

Or do you not drink? I can understand not drinking.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I don't drink alcohol lol.

Determined2012

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Jun 22, 2012
Chicago, IL
Well to me, beer just seems like a masculine beverage (as funny as that sounds, I know!)...Aside from that it tastes absolutely HORRIBLE! I did have honey beer before...I think that's what its called- but it didn't taste like beer...It tasted like a sweet apple juice with bubblies.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
I don't drink alcohol lol.

Wise choice.

I find that my drinking habits are such that they don't get in the way of my studies nor my business. I'm keeping it that way.

wade1mil

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
246%
Jun 29, 2011
That's a neat analogy Kak.

Why don't girls like beer?

Or do you not drink? I can understand not drinking.

I don't like beer either. Or any alcohol.

Last edited:

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
I like beer, all other alcohol and girls.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Aside from that it tastes absolutely HORRIBLE!

Welcome to the land of acquired taste! We have cigarettes, cigars whiskey, beer, coffee and very strong flavored foods!

All these things will taste like absolute a$$ until you get used to them, then they become the best tasting things ever. They go from all tasting the same to all tasting completely different (and being amazing).

I never knew how anyone could drink alcohol back when I didn't drink. Then I hit college and drank for the effect instead of the taste, so it goes. In a remarkably short period of time (like 3 or 4 nights of drinking) suddenly I started noticing the difference between brands. It stopped being "beer" and started being Bud, Coors, Stella, Corona, etc... I started preferring some over others and soon I would rather have a beer over any other beverage - it became F*cking delicious.

Same with whiskey. It went from a biting, burning, painful experience that all tasted the same to noticing VAST differences between Rye, Bourbon, Scotch and Irish whiskeys. They taste NOTHING alike, if you have the pallet.

Again, same with coffee - it goes from a bitter disgusting sludge to the nectar of the gods. Dark, medium and light roasts taste nothing alike. Different beans produce marked changes in flavor. You learn to appreciate the differences and seek them out.

Although, in fairness, the world would likely be a better place if we went with our first instinct and never touched any of this stuff :)

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
homer_simpson_beer1.gif

mhhh, beeeeeer...

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
Although, in fairness, the world would likely be a better place if we went with our first instinct and never touched any of this stuff

Yea, lets all live like neaderthalers again. That sounds sooo boring. :smxE:

CTamme

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
51%
Sep 27, 2012
QC, Iowa
All these things will taste like absolute a$$ until you get used to them, then they become the best tasting things ever. They go from all tasting the same to all tasting completely different (and being amazing).

I can tell you that there is nothing better then three fingers of Glenlivet over 2 ice cubes. Unfortuantely the cost of drinking Glenlivet limits how often I am able to imbibe. What was this thread about?

PatrickP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Mar 16, 2012
YESSSSSSSSSSSS!

[video=youtube_share;3z4eCPAuTAM]http://youtu.be/3z4eCPAuTAM[/video]

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I can tell you that there is nothing better then three fingers of Glenlivet over 2 ice cubes.

Ever try going neat?

I used to drink whiskey with ice but started hating how diluted the drink got - the taste profile completely changed to almost water by the last sip. I also found those whiskey stones to be completely useless and annoying. Once I started drinking neat I could never go back.

Regardless though - I HIGHLY recommend you check out Redbreast 12 year Irish Whiskey. Very affordable and easily the tastiest whiskey I've ever had.

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012

What do you mean by that? Pure? If so, I never did otherwise with whiskey. Dont drink it often, but when I do I want to enjoy it, and to me that means drinking without ice.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Neat, From wiki:

a single, unmixed liquor served without being chilled and without any water, ice, or other mixer.

So basically out of the bottle into the glass and into your belly :)

CTamme

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
51%
Sep 27, 2012
QC, Iowa
Ever try going neat?

I used to drink whiskey with ice but started hating how diluted the drink got - the taste profile completely changed to almost water by the last sip. I also found those whiskey stones to be completely useless and annoying. Once I started drinking neat I could never go back.

Regardless though - I HIGHLY recommend you check out Redbreast 12 year Irish Whiskey. Very affordable and easily the tastiest whiskey I've ever had.

Yes I have tried drinking scotch neat and have found it to have too much bite. I find that on the rocks really opens up the flavors and changes the whole taste of a good scotch. Now the cheaper blended malt scotches are never as smooth as a single malt and to me are a waste of a good drink.

I find the number of ice cubes is very important. A good bartender will only use 2-3 ice cubes on a good scotch. A band one will hit the glass with a scoop and pour the scotch. I would advise you try it with 2-3 ice cubes, give it 2 minutes open up and try it that way. Completely different taste profile.

I will see if the Redbreast is available and give it a try. Thanks for the reco.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.