The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.
Anything related to matters of the mind

TheDillon__

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
151%
Apr 11, 2016
DFW
Tonight was, well, is funny. Not haha funny, but "hmm, interesting" funny.

Eight days ago, I began writing a book. 24 hours ago, it was published online. That night - my girlfriend and I celebrated. Tonight, we stopped back by my parents house to spend some time with them. After a bit of a rough patch, the past few days have been marvelous in my relationship. My family is proud of me. I'm regaining contact with friends I thought I'd lost. By all means - I should be smiling from ear to ear.

However, this evening, I found myself experiencing something - stress.

My book was not written with the intent of becoming a millionaire - rather with the intent of having something of quality available online. Grant Cardone says, and I paraphrase, that "you can't make money - only the Federal Reserve can make money. Your money, your millions, it's already made - it's just out there in someone else's hands." Every day, millions of dollars change hands online. If you don't have one thing available for purchase - there is a big, fat 0% chance any of it will come to you. I wrote my ebook because I believe that it can help those who choose to read it - and it earns me a >0% chance of earning money on a daily basis, independent from my time.

I feel myself feeling stress. In order for me to live comfortably, providing for myself and my girlfriend as we pursue success in other time independent areas of life, I would have to net $2,000 per month. $24,000 per year. $500 per week. When my ebook has, within the past 24 hours, generated $3 in sales (I haven't begun much outreach yet) this seems like a daunting figure.

Then - I asked myself a question. I looked around my old room and I thought - is there food in the pantry? If I am certain that that pantry contains food, why would I worry about possibly having to skip breakfast tomorrow? // If your car has a full tank of gas, worrying about having to push your car home from work that evening seems nonsensical!

That's when I realized - stress is not a result of your current situation. Stress doesn't happen because things are bad. Stress happens because we believe our situation to be bad and ourselves incapable of escaping it. I am not stressed because I can't earn $2k every month - absolutely I can! For the mildly-experienced online entrepreneur, 2 grand per month is child's play! Rather - I am stressed because, for whatever reason, the idea of my having achieved that goal seems too outlandish, too impossible, and too difficult for me to appreciate.

In spite of this - I am setting a goal that I earn, regularly, $10,000 per month. A goal five times as daunting as what currently troubles me. I am going to base that goal off of those who have made money selling information products online (who specifically, I'll discover after I get some rest.) I'll set the goal to be at that point of $10k in the next seven months (So September 16th of this year,) and I'm going to set my efforts to match my expectations - never lower the goal.

Defeat stress with proper planning and by remaining firm to your goals.

Best of luck everyone,

Adurite

Dillon

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Choate

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
243%
Mar 25, 2014
Boston
In roughly a week, you took an idea from nothing, wrote, and published online and already made your first $3. Well done on taking action. This is where your focus should be.

In spite of this - I am setting a goal that I earn, regularly, $10,000 per month. A goal five times as daunting as what currently troubles me. I am going to base that goal off of those who have made money selling information products online (who specifically, I'll discover after I get some rest.) I'll set the goal to be at that point of $10k in the next seven months (So September 16th of this year,) and I'm going to set my efforts to match my expectations - never lower the goal.

Your audience doesn't care if you make $3 per month or $10,000 per month.

From MJ himself, “Money is like a mischievous cat; if you chase it around the neighborhood, it eludes you. It hides up a tree, behind the rose bush, or in the garden. However, if you ignore it and focus on what attracts the cat, it comes to you and sits in your lap.”

Should your goals be on how much money you can crank out of people in the next 6 months, or monthly, or whatever?

Or should your goals be something like:

"Now that I've wrote a book and published it in 8 days, how can I do it in 7 days while offering the same amount of value/content or MORE?"

"How can I create a system or manage my time better where I can even write TWO books in 7 days?"

"How can I increase the value of my next book or even the perceived value through keyword descriptions, covers, author websites? Because my books actually are really valuable to the right audience, I just need to convey that in a better way to potential readers."

A goal five times as daunting as what currently troubles me. I am going to base that goal off of those who have made money selling information products online (who specifically, I'll discover after I get some rest

Instead of chasing money, you should keep providing value. Someone out there found your work valuable. Why not produce more?

TheDillon__

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
151%
Apr 11, 2016
DFW
In roughly a week, you took an idea from nothing, wrote, and published online and already made your first $3. Well done on taking action. This is where your focus should be.

Your audience doesn't care if you make $3 per month or $10,000 per month.

From MJ himself, “Money is like a mischievous cat; if you chase it around the neighborhood, it eludes you. It hides up a tree, behind the rose bush, or in the garden. However, if you ignore it and focus on what attracts the cat, it comes to you and sits in your lap.”

Should your goals be on how much money you can crank out of people in the next 6 months, or monthly, or whatever?

Or should your goals be something like:

"Now that I've wrote a book and published it in 8 days, how can I do it in 7 days while offering the same amount of value/content or MORE?"

"How can I create a system or manage my time better where I can even write TWO books in 7 days?"

"How can I increase the value of my next book or even the perceived value through keyword descriptions, covers, author websites? Because my books actually are really valuable to the right audience, I just need to convey that in a better way to potential readers."

Instead of chasing money, you should keep providing value. Someone out there found your work valuable. Why not produce more?

This is good man, this is really good. I knew something valuable would come of venting my mind, I really appreciate your comment.

You're absolutely right in that I'm chasing the money instead of attracting the cat (funny foreshadowing earlier today, there was a really friendly stray roaming around that we'd stopped to pet!)

I'm still unsure of my future in relation to ebooks - I have several ideas for some which I have planned, though none of them are really related in terms of subject matter, and I also have various language courses floating around in my brain - talk about a market in need of innovation!

Perhaps the goal looks like "I have found the best method for taking an information product to market and providing value to the maximum number of people"?

MidwestLandlord

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
759%
Dec 6, 2016
Perhaps the goal looks like "I have found the best method for taking an information product to market and providing value to the maximum number of people"?

Remember microwave, not crock pot!

Anyway, I'm 35 years old. Here's how my thought process has changed over the years:

If I could just make $25,000 per year!
If I could just make $50,000 per year!
If I could just make $75,000 per year!
If I could just make $100,000 per year!
If I could just make $250,000 per year!

Now I don't think that way at all.

Now it's:

What's the process?
How can I execute this correctly?
How will what I am doing now make money tomorrow, next month, next year?
How can I further improve value for my customers?

My income has actually dropped a bit in the last year. But I don't care, because what I am doing now gives me better control, and is something that actually has a future.

Make sense?

"stop chasing money" is something I wish I has taken to heart many, many years ago.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

InspireHD

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
243%
Dec 9, 2014
My business should be up and running early next week (impatiently waiting!) and for the first few weeks I've sat here and thought about how much money I'd need to make to pay my bills and look into quitting my full-time job. Before I even made a penny, my focus has been how much money I can make.

Then, a couple things happened. I read through IceCreamKid's thread and I experienced two wild swings of purely terrible customer service in my personal life and my perspective completely changed. All I can think about now is what is my process, what is my routine, how can I provide the absolute best service and value, and how can I run my business so that we solve the pains of our customers. The money has taken a backseat to anything else. I try to not even think about the money.

It seems like after reading through IceCreamKid's thread, reading other quotes and threads, it's all started sinking in that service and value are the only things that matter. And since I've tuned myself into those two things, I've started seeing opportunities everywhere and believing more and more that I can achieve anything.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.