• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 40,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

RANT The Supremacy of Selling

Discussion in 'Education, Learning, Books' started by BrooklynHustle, Oct 1, 2018.

1. BrooklynHustle

BrooklynHustle Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $9,192
    Recently started re-“reading” Ready, Fire, Aim by Michael Masterson (love this book :fire:), this time via the audio version.

In this chapter he makes the point that until you develop a system for selling your product or service profitably, you do not have a sustainable business, and so that should be your primary focus.

In other words...

Without sales, you have no business.

Seems simple, but so often ignored. What do you think?

5A200E41-9BC7-4336-8960-04023694C5E2.jpeg

Yzn, JohnnyAppleseed, Mattie and 7 others like this.
  2. ApparentHorizon

ApparentHorizon Gold Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $7,004
    “If you can't measure it, you can't manage it.” - Peter Drucker

3. amp0193

amp0193 Legendary Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $46,219
    I've taken it to heart.

I try to outsource, contract, or hire anything that isn't sales related. And soon I'll be to the point that I have to hire out the sales.

I try to think of the value of my time input. If I'm in the warehouse packing boxes, my time is worth $10/hr. If I do a few hours of email and close a $3000 deal, my time is worth $1000/hr.

If I spend more time on $1000/hr tasks, then I'll be able to afford to hire more people to do the $10/hr tasks.

4. therealmark

therealmark Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER

Rep Bank:
    $1,133
    I’ve got to read this book. I totally agree.

Denis from BE likes this.
  5. WJK

WJK Gold Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $7,697
    Selling can take many forms. Make a good deal is a type of selling. Buying right is another. Serving a client or customer is part of selling to them. Some of these activities are hard to quantify, but they are important to the process. There are things I personally do that most people won't. They'll hire out thinking those activities are not worth their time. I have very good reasons for my choices.

6. amp0193

amp0193 Legendary Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $46,219
    Agree with some of this.

Selling is anything that will help generate sales It could be calling a customer, adding emails to an auto follow-up sequence, messaging 20 celebrities on Instagram.

But, there comes a point that even all this is not worth your time... and it does need to be hired out. Not that it's not important, it IS important. There are just even more important things to do.

When doing all of these things interferes with the ability to strategize and plan and chart the course for the future, it's time to hire. Everything I do can be outsourced. I am no-one special, and am completely replaceable. I try to keep that in mind.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2018
  7. WJK

Rep Bank:
    $7,697
    I don't know what you are doing in your business, BUT I am not replaceable in mine for certain tasks. If you can hire it out, fine. And I do hire people to do a lot of the "no-brainer" chores. I've never thought of myself as a "no-one" and I am not "completely replaceable." In those famous words, "The buck stops here" with me. I have seen so many businesses fail when the owner takes his eyes off of the ball...

8. amp0193

Rep Bank:
    $46,219
    You're limited by time.

How do you grow when the buck stops with you for the tasks you're doing now?

I can be the sales guy. Or I can be the guy managing 4 sales guys, making sure they're doing sales the way I do it.

Or I can be the guy managing the guys who manage the sales guys. Making sure they are managing the sales guys the way I would, so that the sales guys are selling the way I would.

In all scenarios I'm still the guy responsible for sales. My day to day tasks are just different and the scale is much larger.

9. YoungPadawan

YoungPadawan Miles to go before I sleep Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $884
    I've started to realize that sales/marketing is some of the highest $/hour tasks you can do in your biz.

You can find almost anyone willing to work for chump change doing any technical task (SEO, packaging, programming, etc)

The big dinero comes from the sales/marketing.

10. amp0193

Rep Bank:
    $46,219

Know how to sell and you can be successful in just about anything.

I entered an industry last year that I previously knew nothing about. I had to hire or outsource just about all of the technical work required to get rolling, and for day to day operation. I couldn't run my operations if I wanted to... I'd need at 10 years of on the ground experience. I'm no Elon Musk.

But, I know how to sell these things!

11. WJK

Rep Bank:
    $7,697
    So, you are important to your business. Years of experience, coupled with personal relationships with your customers, lead to specialized knowledge that you can't JUST hire out. You can never make sure that anyone else does things just the way you would. You own the business. You have a personal interest. They are earning a paycheck. If they were that diligent, they would the owner of their own business. Our greatest disappointment in the world is when we expect others to do what they cannot do. I hope you upgrade your view of yourself and your importance.

FastNAwesome likes this.
  12. amp0193

Rep Bank:
    $46,219
    I think people can be capable of a lot.

Sell the dream, sell the purpose. Doing good in the world. Changing it for the better.

I used to be a teacher, and I always found it fascinating how the same kids would go to the moon for some teachers, and wouldn't do jack sh*t for others. If I want more than I'm getting, I look in the mirror at what I can do differently.

Idealistic and naive... possibly. Maybe I'll change my tune in a few years.

I realize I'm important. Not because of my skills, abilities, or experience, but because I made the choice to do it, and no one else did.

There are people much more qualified to do almost every aspect of what I do. And as it makes sense, I'll hire them.

YoungPadawan likes this.
  13. WJK

Rep Bank:
    $7,697
    You're right. And by working your business, you gain the skills, abilities and experience factors. You will start to see the world differently. You will plainly see patterns where others see chaos. You'll know what people are going to say before they open their mouths. You will make it look easy. Everyone will think they can do your job. That is the point where you are an expert.
    In the meantime, hire those who know more and get them to teach you. Be humble, while you soak up everything like a human sponge. Trade your knowledge for theirs. Ask questions & talk in proportion to the ratio between your ears and your mouth-- 2/1.
    Good luck!

FastNAwesome and YoungPadawan like this.
  14. Walter Hay

Walter Hay Legendary Contributor FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $56,751
    I consider that Michael Masterson is too limited in understanding of what he calls "Marketing." See the first sentence in the page appearing in Post #1 above. For example, he separates marketing from product development.

I completely agree with the no-brainer that "Without sales, it is very hard to sustain an ongoing business".

But.....

Marketing is much more than advertising and salesmanship. See my post here: https://www.thefastlahttps://www.th...ating-a-real-product.54128/page-3#post-664805 dealing with the definition of marketing.

Walter

YoungPadawan and BrooklynHustle like this.
  15. BrooklynHustle

BrooklynHustle Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $9,192
    Agreed!

Given how critical it is, why do you think so many aspiring entrepreneurs avoid it at the start?

JohnnyAppleseed likes this.
  16. BrooklynHustle

Rep Bank:
    $9,192
    The link appears to be broken, unfortunately. I’d like to read this post.

Walter Hay likes this.
  17. Walter Hay

Walter Hay Legendary Contributor FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $56,751
  18. Bryan James

Bryan James Bronze Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $830
    What sales are to a business is what oxygen is to a person.

19. BrooklynHustle

Rep Bank:
    $9,192
  20. BrooklynHustle

Rep Bank:
    $9,192
    I think sales are that important.

For some reason they don't seem to get enough attention and respect from beginning entrepreneurs.

(TMF doesn't make that mistake though)

JohnnyAppleseed and Bryan James like this.