The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The sidewalk

IrishSpring600

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Dec 24, 2013
I'm a loser. I've done nothing for a year! I worked as a real estate agent for a month and I hated it because all I could do was drink after contacting way too many people and not showing enough. Of course I was inexperienced and I didn't market as much but I didn't have any funds and I put up way too many excuses. I don't have much to believe in.

I find myself almost a year since that day I decided to intern in the profession and I haven't made money since I quit the job, actually, back in January. I'm pretty much breaking down and I have nothing to believe in, or not much to believe in. I'm currently on the 1st day of the Bold and Determined Program; it's almost over, the day. I just need to get my 100 squats/push-ups/crunches in (which will happen before bed; but I'm too anxious to do any right now). I don't have much to believe in except this program.

I just don't know how to make money fast and I feel like time has finally caught up to me. All of my ex-friends, because I have no friends, now have jobs. Even the dumbest person in my math class works as a research analyst. And I got rejected from two interviews even though the interviewer liked me, but he wasn't the decision maker. I don't know if I should just get a job, because I always get rejected. I don't know if I should freelance, because when I did, I wrote two java programs for $12. And I don't know if I should network, because I don't trust anyone.

All I know is I want to make money, but I don't have anyone to believe in. The only thing I believe in is this B&D program. But I don't even believe in the writer. Because of the negative things everyone says about him and his success, like how he advertises bluehost and how that's a bad practice. It's like everywhere I go, I'm looking for the wrong answers and I get them.

Where do we go from here? EDIT: (On the plus side, I can't remember the last time I had a sip of alcohol - must have been over a few months now.) Oh yeah, I also have $0 in my bank. Also, I'm setting a goal to make money - part of the program I'm on is to set a definite and specific goal. I definitely want to make some money and specifically more of it. But how?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

mrarcher

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Jan 26, 2016
Scotland
Why do you think the majority of people get jobs instead of starting businesses? Its because guys like us toil on with next to nothing, driving burned out cars and struggling to make ends meet while the people around us drive brand new audis and spend thousands on a new kitchen for their fancy home. Normally all financed. Then we fail and look stupid for not following the beaten track. Keep plodding on. It won't be instant, or easy that's for sure. It may feel like everyone is doing better now but the biggest rewards come with the biggest sacrifices.
I'm a loser. I've done nothing for a year! I worked as a real estate agent for a month and I hated it because all I could do was drink after contacting way too many people and not showing enough. Of course I was inexperienced and I didn't market as much but I didn't have any funds and I put up way too many excuses. I don't have much to believe in.

I find myself almost a year since that day I decided to intern in the profession and I haven't made money since I quit the job, actually, back in January. I'm pretty much breaking down and I have nothing to believe in, or not much to believe in. I'm currently on the 1st day of the Bold and Determined Program; it's almost over, the day. I just need to get my 100 squats/push-ups/crunches in (which will happen before bed; but I'm too anxious to do any right now). I don't have much to believe in except this program.

I just don't know how to make money fast and I feel like time has finally caught up to me. All of my ex-friends, because I have no friends, now have jobs. Even the dumbest person in my math class works as a research analyst. And I got rejected from two interviews even though the interviewer liked me, but he wasn't the decision maker. I don't know if I should just get a job, because I always get rejected. I don't know if I should freelance, because when I did, I wrote two java programs for $12. And I don't know if I should network, because I don't trust anyone.

All I know is I want to make money, but I don't have anyone to believe in. The only thing I believe in is this B&D program. But I don't even believe in the writer. Because of the negative things everyone says about him and his success, like how he advertises bluehost and how that's a bad practice. It's like everywhere I go, I'm looking for the wrong answers and I get them.

Where do we go from here? EDIT: (On the plus side, I can't remember the last time I had a sip of alcohol - must have been over a few months now.) Oh yeah, I also have $0 in my bank. Also, I'm setting a goal to make money - part of the program I'm on is to set a definite and specific goal. I definitely want to make some money and specifically more of it. But how?

• Banned

IrishSpring600

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Dec 24, 2013
Why do you think the majority of people get jobs instead of starting businesses? Its because guys like us toil on with next to nothing, driving burned out cars and struggling to make ends meet while the people around us drive brand new audis and spend thousands on a new kitchen for their fancy home. Normally all financed. Then we fail and look stupid for not following the beaten track. Keep plodding on. It won't be instant, or easy that's for sure. It may feel like everyone is doing better now but the biggest rewards come with the biggest sacrifices.
Well, how do I go on?

I've been doing data science for the past couple of weeks and it's been going good. But I'm heavily losing interest in it because there's people who want me to work with certain data sets and I want to work with my own, although I'm sure they're both as interesting. I'm not even getting remotely paid yet, but I'm getting some perks along the way...and I guess I'm growing somewhat...BUT I WANT MONEY AND NOTHING ELSE REALLY MATTERS.

mrarcher

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Jan 26, 2016
Scotland
Then get a job.
Well, how do I go on?

I've been doing data science for the past couple of weeks and it's been going good. But I'm heavily losing interest in it because there's people who want me to work with certain data sets and I want to work with my own, although I'm sure they're both as interesting. I'm not even getting remotely paid yet, but I'm getting some perks along the way...and I guess I'm growing somewhat...BUT I WANT MONEY AND NOTHING ELSE REALLY MATTERS.

Tapp001

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
May 24, 2016
Then get a job.

Its the easiest way to some money. But freedom will eventually become important too.

Jobs are training wheels. Some can learn without them, but they are a useful step for most. Most people, though, never even consider taking them off.

mrarcher

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Jan 26, 2016
Scotland
True that. Life works in funny ways. Not many people hit the ground running and start business immediately making all the money they need. Deliver pizzas or something if you really need the cash. Just don't expect to start something and be a millionaire in a month.
Its the easiest way to some money. But freedom will eventually become important too.

Jobs are training wheels. Some can learn without them, but they are a useful step for most. Most people, though, never even consider taking them off.

• Banned

IrishSpring600

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Dec 24, 2013
Well I went to college, got a Bachelor's in Applied Math, and was hoping to work as a programmer/developer/research analyst (like my friend who failed way more classes, got worse grades, partied more, and still gets paid more ???????????????????).

I've gone to interviews and I've gotten rejected from all of them, even after meeting the president.

So I don't want to get burned again going for a job as a programmer. And if I work as a pizza delivery person (well I can't, no car.), I would have such menial pay and I would have such bad habits...like hey, I deliver pizzas! I'm going to go get a beer now.

I think that previous statement sounds very ignorant on my part but I can see it as a stepping stone. But I wouldn't get paid for developing a program related to dropping off pizzas. That's why I feel so unmotivated.

EDIT I wasn't always like this. I used to work very hard in school. That's how I got into college without paying anything. Then I thought "What's it all for?" and then the snowball occured.

Tapp001

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
May 24, 2016
Well I went to college, got a Bachelor's in Applied Math, and was hoping to work as a programmer/developer/research analyst (like my friend who failed way more classes, got worse grades, partied more, and still gets paid more ???????????????????).

Being envious of these guys is like being envious of a trapped animal, because the animal got bait.

Green Destiny

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Jul 19, 2016
Oh yeah, I also have $0 in my bank. Also, I'm setting a goal to make money - part of the program I'm on is to set a definite and specific goal. I definitely want to make some money and specifically more of it. But how?

First of all $0 in the bank sounds a lot better than starting in the red like many of the other people here. Second of all, you talk about making money and setting monetary goals. Why don't you try and figure out what value you can provide for other people or businesses and make goals around that instead?

You have worked in the real estate business for a while, there must have been something there that you thought could have been done better, cheaper, quicker etc? Maybe something your customers, colleagues or bosses used to complain about?

Instead of looking for someone else to believe in, maybe that time would be better spent believing in yourself? You can only do this by doing something rather than looking for a magic bullet to do it for you.

Good luck.

mrarcher

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Jan 26, 2016
Scotland
Teachers are in demand but it's a slowlane dead-end $40k for life.
Well then get a job as a teacher ... Or start a business. Either way get on with it and quit your bitching. At least to yourself

gostorm21

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
280%
Sep 9, 2014
So I don't want to get burned again going for a job as a programmer.

Your profile picture is you squatting. As such, I'm going to assume you also deadlift.

Remember when you first started lifting? I don't know about you, but I went gung-ho on the deadlift, and stupidly decided that gloves were only for pussies.

As a result, I tore the shit out of my hands almost every time from the weight slipping. Blood, missing skin...all of it. It was rough as hell, and sometimes bad enough that I had to take a few sessions off to let my hands recover. It was stupid, but I was set in my ways.

Time went on, blood was spilled (don't worry, I sanitized the bar every time) and I continued to be a dipshit. Looking back, I could've done things differently. I could've gotten straps, I could've just used some gloves..anything to avoid tearing my hands like that. But I didn't.

Years later, exactly where that damned bar used to claim countless layers of skin...I have massive, tough callouses. A knife couldn't cut through these bad boys. And I can deadlift gloveless to my heart's content with no more spilled blood.

Maybe you f*cked up in previous interviews. Maybe you could've done things differently. Maybe you're tired of getting burned, having that emotional layer of skin ripped off by every rejection.

But you know what you have that your well-paid partying friend doesn't? You have those callouses man. He "put on the gloves" by getting a cushy job quickly. You've torn yourself up, bled countless times, and had to keep picking yourself up.

If and WHEN he loses those gloves, his hands are soft. He hasn't bled. Not like you have. You're tougher. Literally.

Embrace the burns. Embrace the lost skin, the rejections, and the pain.

Because at the end of the day, YOU will be the one with the callouses. And it's *those* tough motherfuckers, the ones that have bled without the gloves, that conquer the world.

IrishSpring600

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Dec 24, 2013
Your profile picture is you squatting. As such, I'm going to assume you also deadlift.

Remember when you first started lifting? I don't know about you, but I went gung-ho on the deadlift, and stupidly decided that gloves were only for pussies.

As a result, I tore the shit out of my hands almost every time from the weight slipping. Blood, missing skin...all of it. It was rough as hell, and sometimes bad enough that I had to take a few sessions off to let my hands recover. It was stupid, but I was set in my ways.

Time went on, blood was spilled (don't worry, I sanitized the bar every time) and I continued to be a dipshit. Looking back, I could've done things differently. I could've gotten straps, I could've just used some gloves..anything to avoid tearing my hands like that. But I didn't.

Years later, exactly where that damned bar used to claim countless layers of skin...I have massive, tough callouses. A knife couldn't cut through these bad boys. And I can deadlift gloveless to my heart's content with no more spilled blood.

Maybe you f*cked up in previous interviews. Maybe you could've done things differently. Maybe you're tired of getting burned, having that emotional layer of skin ripped off by every rejection.

But you know what you have that your well-paid partying friend doesn't? You have those callouses man. He "put on the gloves" by getting a cushy job quickly. You've torn yourself up, bled countless times, and had to keep picking yourself up.

If and WHEN he loses those gloves, his hands are soft. He hasn't bled. Not like you have. You're tougher. Literally.

Embrace the burns. Embrace the lost skin, the rejections, and the pain.

Because at the end of the day, YOU will be the one with the callouses. And it's *those* tough motherfuckers, the ones that have bled without the gloves, that conquer the world.
Well, I can't help but like this. Plus your profile pic, even if it is of Denzel. It just communicates "here, there's another path."

I'm really lost right now. I think I'm going to go back to square one. That's why I'm wondering here. Maybe programming isn't for me. Maybe it's not them, it's me. I'm just not a good fit for a programmer. And that's why I'm wondering how you can make money online.

To be honest, I don't know. Square one...I don't want to work for a 9-5 job because of all of the things I've heard "Oh but you won't be financially free!", "I get to travel the world because I blogged", etc.

InformationH

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
249%
Jun 20, 2016
Work a 9-5 that allows you to plan an escape. I work a 9-5 and have plenty of time during work to read, learn and act. Do I make amazing pay? No. But the purpose of this job was to support my family while giving me time to work on my own business. Find a job that gives you skills you need to build your business, money to start your business, or gives you time to work on your business. Theres nothing wrong with working a 9-5 to get you on your feet

Dolf112

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Jan 30, 2016
England
Well, I can't help but like this. Plus your profile pic, even if it is of Denzel. It just communicates "here, there's another path."

I'm really lost right now. I think I'm going to go back to square one. That's why I'm wondering here. Maybe programming isn't for me. Maybe it's not them, it's me. I'm just not a good fit for a programmer. And that's why I'm wondering how you can make money online.

To be honest, I don't know. Square one...I don't want to work for a 9-5 job because of all of the things I've heard "Oh but you won't be financially free!", "I get to travel the world because I blogged", etc.

just my 0.2c I believe what your focusing on is because you have no certainty in what it is you want. I remember a time when I had no idea what I wanted specifically, I just wanted progression up the food chain, rat race or not and I went to college and studied accountancy at night time. I qualified but couldn't get work in that field and I came to realise the reasons were two things. 1. I needed sales skills. 2. I wasn't passionate to be a yes man employee and it showed through my body language and words. So I took a job selling door to door and the rest is history, I'll never look back.

If I were In your shoes, I'd get a job in McDonald's. I'd experience life at that level and It will probably appear very quickly that you can't stay in a dead end job because you hate it. Not because you've heard about "financially free". You will feel the burn, you will see opportunitys and the extra cashflow helps with options.

Just my opinion.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
I'm a loser. I've done nothing for a year!

Why have you done nothing for a year?

What makes you a loser, exactly?

I worked as a real estate agent for a month and I hated it because all I could do was drink after contacting way too many people and not showing enough. Of course I was inexperienced and I didn't market as much but I didn't have any funds and I put up way too many excuses. I don't have much to believe in.

You are still putting up excuses. Why?

I find myself almost a year since that day I decided to intern in the profession and I haven't made money since I quit the job, actually, back in January.

What has kept you from making any money?

I don't have much to believe in except this program.

What's so special about that program? Is that program the 'secret sauce' you've been missing?

Pushups and situps are the missing piece? Are they? Really?

I just don't know how to make money fast

How fast do you expect to make money?

All of my ex-friends, because I have no friends

Why don't you have any friends if you haven't been making any money?

And I got rejected from two interviews even though the interviewer liked me, but he wasn't the decision maker. I don't know if I should just get a job, because I always get rejected.

Rejected from two interviews = always rejected?

I don't know if I should freelance, because when I did, I wrote two java programs for $12.

$12 is more than $0, is it not? How many $12 programs can you do per day? Can you do a $50, $100, $500 program?

And I don't know if I should network, because I don't trust anyone.

If you could trust people again, would you network?

All I know is I want to make money, but I don't have anyone to believe in.

If you had someone to believe in, and you could choose who that person is, would you make money?

What if that person was yourself? If you could believe in yourself, would you make money?

It's like everywhere I go, I'm looking for the wrong answers and I get them.

If you could find the right answer, would somehow your luck just magically change overnight?

What if finding the right answer just meant looking for an answer, right or wrong? What if there was no right answer? Would you still make money?

Also, I'm setting a goal to make money - part of the program I'm on is to set a definite and specific goal. I definitely want to make some money and specifically more of it. But how?

If you just knew the one thing, the one weird trick to follow that could make you money, would you do it?

IrishSpring600

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Dec 24, 2013
Why have you done nothing for a year?

Because I've attempted various pursuits such as being a pro soccer player, C++ developer, Java developer, and they've all been fruitless in terms of earning enough revenue to pay even a month's worth of rent.

What makes you a loser, exactly?

I do not earn enough money.

You are still putting up excuses. Why?

I don't know what the truth is.

What has kept you from making any money?

Fear of begging (i.e. "Hey, want to donate $5?" to a stranger)

What's so special about that program? Is that program the 'secret sauce' you've been missing?

It's a set of habits

Pushups and situps are the missing piece? Are they? Really?

Irrelevant

How fast do you expect to make money?

Really fast, like I offer some value and then I get a money trade-off. To be honest, I don't really know how it works...

Why don't you have any friends if you haven't been making any money?

I don't trust anyone. Everyone wants something from me.

Rejected from two interviews = always rejected?

People tell me to go the entrepreneurial way, i.e. "I've quit my job and so can you" so I've stopped.

$12 is more than $0, is it not? How many $12 programs can you do per day? Can you do a $50, $100, $500 program?

No. I need a new outlet...I just seem very uncertain.

If you could trust people again, would you network?

Yes!

If you had someone to believe in, and you could choose who that person is, would you make money?

No

What if that person was yourself? If you could believe in yourself, would you make money?

Yes

If you could find the right answer, would somehow your luck just magically change overnight?

Yes!

What if finding the right answer just meant looking for an answer, right or wrong? What if there was no right answer? Would you still make money?

Yes

If you just knew the one thing, the one weird trick to follow that could make you money, would you do it?

Work hard, hustle...it's all been fruitless ever since I've done this with programming.
[/QUOTE]

mrarcher

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Jan 26, 2016
Scotland
You're either making excuses or trolling I'm not really sure. Either way there are many successful people on this forum that have been through a lot. So it can be done but not when you just making up daft excuses.
Because I've attempted various pursuits such as being a pro soccer player, C++ developer, Java developer, and they've all been fruitless in terms of earning enough revenue to pay even a month's worth of rent.

I do not earn enough money.

I don't know what the truth is.

Fear of begging (i.e. "Hey, want to donate $5?" to a stranger)

It's a set of habits

Irrelevant

Really fast, like I offer some value and then I get a money trade-off. To be honest, I don't really know how it works...

I don't trust anyone. Everyone wants something from me.

People tell me to go the entrepreneurial way, i.e. "I've quit my job and so can you" so I've stopped.

No. I need a new outlet...I just seem very uncertain.

Yes!

No

Yes

Yes!

Yes

Work hard, hustle...it's all been fruitless ever since I've done this with programming.
[/QUOTE]

superb

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Sep 8, 2013

It is you. But that's the good news because while you can't change them (whoever 'them" is), you can change yourself. I've rarely got a job, a gig or a new client if deep down I wasn't enthusiastic about it. Even if you say all the right things, if you're not certain, people see through it.

For some of us, getting a job is the best thing that can happen. Yes, jobs are not fastlane and have all kinds of disadvantages. But, when you don't have a clue what the hell you are doing with your life, you still need to eat and put a rough over your head. In the past, I gravitated towards being in business for myself for all the wrong reasons, all ego driven desires to be in control and not get my feelings hurt - none of them good reasons to start a business.

In the past couple of years I've had a string of employers. I've learned to deal with very demanding customers and employers, and for the most part not even get rattled by them. I've learned how to resolve customer complaints. I learned how to take a dysfunctional team of people and have them work like a tight knit family. All on someone else's dime.

For some, success is intuitive. Most of us are here because its not. When I started t get excited about the idea of having great wealth and freedom, I had no idea how much bullshit I had in my head about how life works. I had a ton of personal development to do before I could ever hope to be successful in business.

There are no quick fixes. Get a job. Get your head sorted out. Feel free to quit the job when it starts to cost you more to keep it than to lose it.

Dolf112

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Jan 30, 2016
England
It is you. But that's the good news because while you can't change them (whoever 'them" is), you can change yourself. I've rarely got a job, a gig or a new client if deep down I wasn't enthusiastic about it. Even if you say all the right things, if you're not certain, people see through it.

For some of us, getting a job is the best thing that can happen. Yes, jobs are not fastlane and have all kinds of disadvantages. But, when you don't have a clue what the hell you are doing with your life, you still need to eat and put a rough over your head. In the past, I gravitated towards being in business for myself for all the wrong reasons, all ego driven desires to be in control and not get my feelings hurt - none of them good reasons to start a business.

In the past couple of years I've had a string of employers. I've learned to deal with very demanding customers and employers, and for the most part not even get rattled by them. I've learned how to resolve customer complaints. I learned how to take a dysfunctional team of people and have them work like a tight knit family. All on someone else's dime.

For some, success is intuitive. Most of us are here because its not. When I started t get excited about the idea of having great wealth and freedom, I had no idea how much bullshit I had in my head about how life works. I had a ton of personal development to do before I could ever hope to be successful in business.

There are no quick fixes. Get a job. Get your head sorted out. Feel free to quit the job when it starts to cost you more to keep it than to lose it.

So so true! It reminds me of a mountain climber exercise I did when I was in sales.
Each checkpoint was labelled.
Unconsciously incompetent.
Consciously Incompetent.
Consciously Competent.
Unconsciously Competent.
It was easy to relate it back to driving a car. When you first get in, you don't know what you don't know.
Then after a few little lessons your start to realise just how much you don't actually know so you can start to work on that.
You have worked on it now and you feel confident in your skill, but it still take all your focus an mental energy to drive the car.
The last step is when you are confident and you don't even think about what you are doing it becomes "second nature"

I feel the OP is at the first step, at the very bottom. You don't know what you don't know.
You have to take some sort of action to realise what is missing (often more than people think)
When you establish what you want and don't want, and what you want to work on to get to where you want to be.
Then starts the long road from checkpoint 2 to 3.

Nily

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
241%
Jun 27, 2016
Sydney
I was sort of in your position around 1.5 year ago (before I read TMF ).

To make myself more appealing for employers, I started up a university society.

I deliberately delayed my graduation by 6 months to see my university society flourish.

I pitched at major gym franchises and supplement stores. I even got to meet the co-founders for sponsorship.

Despite all the confusion and embarrassment, I managed to signed up more than 150 people for my fitness society.

But it's a university society - so I made jack. But I learned tons.

My parents were sort of disappointed in me for wasting time instead of going to law school ASAP.

I have to admit - I was dumb. Stupid. Naive. Ignorant.

THIS plus all the stupid shit I did in the past - I'm already two years behind all my peers who went to law school.

I might be going off-track here.

But here's my message to you.

YOU WILL HAVE NO IDEA WHAT YOU WANT IN LIFE.

I even deferred law school for 6 months because I was confused about EVERYTHING just like you.

Then I realized that Fastlane (and life in general) is a marathon (quote from a forum member). Things take time. LOTS OF IT.

Now I'm trying to finish my post-grad so I can get a steady job while supplementing my side business. And this is not even the end of story.

I know I will fail many, many times. Probably cry behind closed doors. Get laughed at. Or have only hundreds of dollars left in bank account while friends are buying houses and Bimmers.

So it's normal to feel all these crazy emotions.

Everyone on TMF (including me) can't help you get rid of your demons and fears.

But keep moving forward.

IrishSpring600

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Dec 24, 2013
I was sort of in your position around 1.5 year ago (before I read TMF ).

To make myself more appealing for employers, I started up a university society.

I deliberately delayed my graduation by 6 months to see my university society flourish.

I pitched at major gym franchises and supplement stores. I even got to meet the co-founders for sponsorship.

Despite all the confusion and embarrassment, I managed to signed up more than 150 people for my fitness society.

But it's a university society - so I made jack. But I learned tons.

My parents were sort of disappointed in me for wasting time instead of going to law school ASAP.

I have to admit - I was dumb. Stupid. Naive. Ignorant.

THIS plus all the stupid shit I did in the past - I'm already two years behind all my peers who went to law school.

I might be going off-track here.

But here's my message to you.

YOU WILL HAVE NO IDEA WHAT YOU WANT IN LIFE.

I even deferred law school for 6 months because I was confused about EVERYTHING just like you.

Then I realized that Fastlane (and life in general) is a marathon (quote from a forum member). Things take time. LOTS OF IT.

Now I'm trying to finish my post-grad so I can get a steady job while supplementing my side business. And this is not even the end of story.

I know I will fail many, many times. Probably cry behind closed doors. Get laughed at. Or have only hundreds of dollars left in bank account while friends are buying houses and Bimmers.

So it's normal to feel all these crazy emotions.

Everyone on TMF (including me) can't help you get rid of your demons and fears.

But keep moving forward.

Well, you wanted to build a society, and you greatly succeeded with a member count of 150. Doesn't that count for something? Maybe there's something you could have done to monetize it, but it does not matter anymore. That's a great accomplishment. Are you looking to re-produce the same magnitude of accomplishment again? If so, how?

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
Let's try a different approach ...... you are a whining loser. There are a lot of them out there. What value could you provide to other whining losers?

Envision

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
783%
May 5, 2014
Maybe if you quite whining like a little pussy about how shitty your life is and actually

DID SOMETHING AND STUCK WITH IT

you'd have the outcome or the start of an outcome you'd be happy with.

A tip: No one likes a negative person, you don't have friends because you're negative and most likely everything bad happening in your life is due to your mindset, thoughts, and how you present yourself.

Just some real talk for you - I feel annoyed and kind of sick even reading your comments because they're negative, whiny, and depict the exact person i try to avoid and never be like. I would highly suggest taking a good look at how you appear to yourself and the world and changing it for the better.

jaypi

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Jun 8, 2016
Nj
Just some real talk for you - I feel annoyed and kind of sick even reading your comments because they're negative, whiny, and depict the exact person i try to avoid and never be like. I would highly suggest taking a good look at how you appear to yourself and the world and changing it for the better.

Although this has a harsh vibe to it, this is absolutely true. Rather than approaching the money-hungry mindset, you gotta find values within yourself: the expertise that's on your mind all day, the desire to expand upon it, and monetize it.

Last edited:

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
I had a long a$$ post ready for you but then I realized that you're a loser who can't even commit to getting a minimum wage job and yet believes he deserves to be rich and happy.

Get out of your head and out into the real world. Stop moping. You're what, 25, and can't take two rejections before saying 'oh this isn't for me'?

I'm disappointed in you as a person. You're not living up to your potential and it's all your fault.

Nily

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
241%
Jun 27, 2016
Sydney
Well, you wanted to build a society, and you greatly succeeded with a member count of 150. Doesn't that count for something? Maybe there's something you could have done to monetize it, but it does not matter anymore. That's a great accomplishment. Are you looking to re-produce the same magnitude of accomplishment again? If so, how?

I wouldn't count it as a success.

Even though I had a unique USP, it had many hidden flaws.

Flaws that could have been improved over time and with a better team.

But I graduated shortly after my first milestone so I wasn't authorised to run it anymore.

University societies are approved and owned by an overarching student institution that provides funding and support.

The society itself satisfied none of the CENTS commandments. Hopefully I wouldn't replicate something that is stemmed from red tapes in the future.

As for your last two questions...

I caught up with an old uni friend recently.

Our conversation somehow ended up on Fastlane topics and I started talking about MJ's book.

We nitpicked each other's brains for a long time. And all of a sudden he invited me to join his small startup team.

We're having our first meeting today.

This time I hope to achieve a magnitude that... actually let's see how it goes.

I'm still a naive kid from two years ago. There's more mistakes I need to make before I can find the 'how'.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.