The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The secret to godlike productivity.

Anything related to matters of the mind

Dimski

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
223%
May 24, 2014
Montreal, Canada.
"That's been one of my mantras - focus and simplicity. Simple can be harder than complex: You have to work hard to get your thinking clean to make it simple. But it's worth it in the end because once you get there, you can move mountains."
- Steve Jobs

Growing up, my father always told me that men were supposed to be good at multi-tasking. If you were able to manage multiple things at once, it showed mental prowess. He cited things like Napoleon's ability to dictate 5 different letters to his secretaries at the same time. Now, let me give you a little background story.

My father was a reactor operator at the only nuclear plant in my home country.

As such, he had a few hundred thousand lives at stake. His job was extremely stressful and required a constant state of alertness. About 50 people that worked at that plant (out of 5000 total) were under his direct command, and their lives depended on his decisions. If he messed up and something blew up or failed to function properly... Well, I think we all remember Chernobyl and the Fukushima Daiichi disaster.

All reactor operators in my home country were men. Why? Most women don't handle extreme stress very well. Hell, most people don't. You can hang me for sexism and a lack of PC, but I will also cite that usually, women are better at multi-tasking than men. On the other hand, men are better at focusing on one single thing at a time.

Since growing up and learning that not everything my parents tell me is pure gold, I've learned that my father made a mistake. His ability to perform well at his job didn't come from his multi-tasking. It came from handling stressful situations and being able to make key decisions in crucial moments.

I've always been lousy at multi-tasking. Yet I've always been very productive and highly effective at whatever I do. How? I learned the secret, godlike, friggin' awesome power of focus.

After focusing on one single thing at a time, I got results much faster. I finished my school work faster. My homework was higher quality. My room got cleaned much quicker. My showers took less time. My meal time got shorter. I managed to read books much faster. I got a lot more done effectively at my weekend part time slowlane job. I got more ideas, and I execute my plans much more effectively after focusing on one single, simple thing at a time.

I thought that focusing actually made you lose time. I thought that reading your emails, being on facebook, listening to music, and coding at the same time was no big deal. NO! It was a huge waste of my precious time. If you want to cut throats and be a productive mother****er, you need to FOCUS. I'll be honest here and say that I don't know how this affects women, but I am sure that a lot of men will agree that if you taste the power of focusing on one single thing at a time, you will notice how your productivity and effectiveness jumps through the roof. Super Saiyan mode.

Screenshotsdbzmovie4_636.jpg

Get the most out of your time, be focused like a Super Saiyan!

If you haven't tried this yet, do it. Focus on one single thing. You have a lot to do today? Me too! Just make yourself a to-do list and do only one thing at a time. I'm a couch-potato lazy bum unless I focus and kick my own a$$ into action. I'm not a productive person, and yet I am. How? I control myself. I'm my own master. So go ahead and try it. If I can do it, you can too.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

FastlaneTiger

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
52%
Jun 27, 2014
Not the USA

Dimski

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
223%
May 24, 2014
Montreal, Canada.
I haven't yet needed or used anything other than home brewed cappuccinos. 1 to 5 a day, depending on my mood and workload.

You know what smart drugs do to you. They help you focus, sure. You can do the same thing to yourself if you've got the will for it.

FastlaneTiger

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
52%
Jun 27, 2014
Not the USA
Adderall is basically caffeine on steroids.
Believe me guys, meditation is the key!
In my experience meditation multiplied my focus soooo hard!

James Fake

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
May 4, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
Maybe I'll try meditation. I take 200mg caffeine pills when I need a boost instead of energy drinks; it no way compares to adderall but definitely helps.

FastlaneTiger

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
52%
Jun 27, 2014
Not the USA
Listen guys, there is no point taking drugs every day because of tolerance and side effects.
Caffeine's tolerance builds up quickly, I give you a month and caffeine won't do sh*t.

Formless

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Oct 27, 2013
So did you focus through sheer willpower or did you manipulate your environment to be a pain in the a$$ to multitask but easy to focus?

AubreyJ

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
229%
Mar 26, 2014
Plano, TX

100% agree! I took adderall my freshman year of college (before i decided to drop out) and it caused me to have seizures. Adderall is effective in helping you focus but it is extremely dangerous and terrible for your body. I started meditating about 6 months ago, and it has helped a lot- It's a great, natural way to help you stay focused.

cautiouscapy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
104%
Dec 30, 2012
UK
Most women don't handle extreme stress very well. Hell, most people don't. You can hang me for sexism and a lack of PC, but I will also cite that usually, women are better at multi-tasking than men.

Generalising, I agree with the women-and-stress observation - but don't ever generalize when you're talking to a Fastlane Woman ;-) because she's probably not typical. A lot of women are just not conditioned to function under extreme stress, and typing this I'm wondering what the armed forces has found of combat-trained women.

And of course it's a proven fact (? pretty sure) that yes, women are generally better multi-taskers; you try picking berries whilst trying to make sure caveman junior doesn't wander off to become a saber-tooth tiger's lunch.

I don't know how this affects women, but I am sure that a lot of men will agree that if you taste the power of focusing on one single thing at a time, you will notice how your productivity and effectiveness jumps through the roof.

I have a sample of one woman (me) but yeah, I've learnt that focusing on one thing at a time does rather accelerate productivity and effectiveness. The successful women I know seem to do it better than me.

@JamesF - please don't put ANY of that cr*p in to your body, your body and brain don't need it, and you're kind of borrowing from your future health.
I admit to drinking coffee, but if I drink more than a couple of cups a day, I am exhausted.

FastlaneTiger

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
52%
Jun 27, 2014
Not the USA
@JamesF - please don't put ANY of that cr*p in to your body, your body and brain don't need it, and you're kind of borrowing from your future health.
I admit to drinking coffee, but if I drink more than a couple of cups a day, I am exhausted.

This.

SarahSH

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
May 6, 2014
Kansas
I used to fly helicopters in the Army and I am a woman. I have flown overseas while on deployment to Iraq. Both men and women can be trained to function, regardless of gender, in a highly focused manner while multitasking at the same time if they are doing tasks that your brain has already incorporated into habit patterns.

An example of this in my old job would be performing a cross check on instruments (using a habit pattern), navigating with a map and timer, staying away from anti aircraft fire, wires, and other obstacles, all while talking on 2 different radios in the dark.

People of both sexes can and do have the ability to have intense focus and multi task at high levels if both trained and practiced in this. These two elements are the keys to doing both multitasking and hyper focus with extreme efficiency. I personally think it is all in the method used to achieve that kind of laser beam focus that enables people to rapidly change channels on what they are working on and effectively multitask. That is why people in high stress multitasking jobs can do what they do.

Ability to handle stress is a different animal all together and I believe it is largely based on ones' resiliency and outlook on life. If you are prone to a negative outlook of always being stuck, never being able to see past the tip of your nose to make a decision and roll with it when faced with a stressful event or situation, then your ability to handle stress is severely diminished. I have seen this in both men and women although it seems like women are more prone to getting caught up in this. Perhaps that would explain any discrepancy in ability to handle stress.

pickeringmt

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
364%
Apr 24, 2014
I have no evidence of this other than personal experience, but the whole concept of artificially boosting something with synthetics seems like the opposite of what you want to do.

Your body has an incredible ability to balance itself out. If you add in something that skews the balance, your body will adjust. Remove that thing, and your body is now geared to balance itself to that input.

Homeopathic medicine is based on this concept.

Like, if you had difficulty sleeping you would take something that naturally prevents sleep in just a small enough quantity to kick your body into producing something to help you sleep on it's own.

Just a thought.

cautiouscapy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
104%
Dec 30, 2012
UK
SarahSH - just the sort of woman I was wondering about as I typed, fascinating to read your post, thank you.

I personally think it is all in the method used to achieve that kind of laser beam focus that enables people to rapidly change channels on what they are working on and effectively multitask. That is why people in high stress multitasking jobs can do what they do.

Is there anything you can share about this method (briefly?). Learnable?

SarahSH

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
May 6, 2014
Kansas
Well, when I first went to flight school, just trying to get your eyes to focus on a particular instrument and remember what the appropriate ranges were supposed to be was like having your head lit on fire :) we spent lots of time memorizing ranges and limits of instruments just to have the head knowledge...connecting it with what your eyes see comes after repeatedly scanning the instrument panel in the particular pattern that you develop. At first, you physically train your eyes to follow the pattern, often forgetting to keep at it until corrected by the instructor because you are trying to remember to do a bunch of other things...then one day, it clicks and you get it....that's probably when your brain commits those actions into a habit and you are then able to process and act on what you see in your instrument cross check without thinking about it because your brain has attained a sort of "autopilot" type of state when it comes to that habit.

After you get one habit under your belt, you are ready to start the process over with something else like navigation or night flying....both of which would require "learning" via the same process. You can mentally chunk together strings of seemingly difficult tasks and accomplish them with little mental effort once they become engrained.

With that being said, personally I do best when I am not trying to take care of more than 5 things at once...it all tends to fall apart with any more than that :)

I also think that multitasking and focus do not necessarily mean that you keep all 5 or so things in the front of your mind, using up your mental "RAM" . Instead, being able to autopilot certain tasks, combined with developing an ability to quickly change your focus when the need comes, actively putting the other tasks out of your head...closing the door temporarily on them if only briefly, when you need to shift your focus of mental energy on a different task.

I find it is also helpful if (before you shift focus) you think of the next action that will be needed for that task. If you have thought of it before you shift focus, it should come to mind more quickly when you shift back to that task

To sum it up: commit as much to habit as possible and build on that, always make your last thought about a task be "what is next step to take" and consciously shift all of your focus (picture a laser beam, a gun sight, or a door closing) onto the next task...that next step thinking can also become a habit and it is the key to keeping your focus high and being able to come back and pick up something right where you left off. Breaks will also stop focus o before break, plan on what task to pick up next and think of next step for that. Picture turning your focus off/ on like a switch.

cautiouscapy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
104%
Dec 30, 2012
UK
To sum it up: commit as much to habit as possible and build on that, always make your last thought about a task be "what is next step to take" and consciously shift all of your focus (picture a laser beam, a gun sight, or a door closing) onto the next task...that next step thinking can also become a habit and it is the key to keeping your focus high and being able to come back and pick up something right where you left off. Breaks will also stop focus so before break, plan on what task to pick up next and think of next step for that. Picture turning your focus off/ on like a switch.

Thank you so much. Makes perfect sense. I'm actually printing this out and will add it to the things I read first thing in the morning to work on.

So this is a bit more than but the same as a purely muscle memory process - learning a dance routine, or Martial Arts sequence, musical instrument. Learning to drive a car; I know it's far, far harder to fly a chopper, but it's the same repeat-until-habit process, just bigger.

SarahSH

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
May 6, 2014
Kansas
Yeah, basically that is what it is. Be very conscious of what you decide to focus on. The to do list that @Dimski mentioned is extremely important as the master plan for the day where you would put your intensive tasks that might require a little more brain power than habit. So, you use the master to do list to steer you toward what major things you need to do in order to move forward and the what's next mindset to keep you in the game when it comes to multitasking.

Harley

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
114%
Jun 9, 2014
Been looking at this. What form do you do - TM, NSR etc?

Harley

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
114%
Jun 9, 2014
Generalising, I agree with the women-and-stress observation - but don't ever generalize when you're talking to a Fastlane Woman ;-) because she's probably not typical. A lot of women are just not conditioned to function under extreme stress, and typing this I'm wondering what the armed forces has found of combat-trained women.

And of course it's a proven fact (? pretty sure) that yes, women are generally better multi-taskers; you try picking berries whilst trying to make sure caveman junior doesn't wander off to become a saber-tooth tiger's lunch.
There was an interesting documentary a while back that said multi-tasking actually doesn't exist and no one can effectively multi-task. They measured the Brains response and in fact we are only ever concentrated on one thing at a time. When we try to multi-task, we are just breaking our concentration cycle and (I can't recall the exact time) when we do this it takes the average person something like 9 minutes to get fully back on track. Apparently some people are just way faster at getting back on track and focusing under stress - fighter pilots, air traffic controllers etc are a good example of this.

I have a sample of one woman (me) but yeah, I've learnt that focusing on one thing at a time does rather accelerate productivity and effectiveness. The successful women I know seem to do it better than me.

Harley

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
114%
Jun 9, 2014
There was an interesting documentary a while back that said multi-tasking actually doesn't exist and no one can effectively multi-task. They measured the Brains response and in fact we are only ever concentrated on one thing at a time. When we try to multi-task, we are just breaking our concentration cycle and (I can't recall the exact time) when we do this it takes the average person something like 9 minutes to get fully back on track. Apparently some people are just way faster at getting back on track and focusing under stress - fighter pilots, air traffic controllers etc are a good example of this.

jazb

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
233%
Nov 24, 2013
The U.K
Meditation is the answer. I can't emphasise how important it is for business.

FastlaneTiger

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
52%
Jun 27, 2014
Not the USA
No amount of caffeine can ever equal amphetamine. It is like comparing Aspirin to Morphine.
Ahh did I say that if you take more caffeine you get the same results?

FastlaneTiger

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
52%
Jun 27, 2014
Not the USA
Been looking at this. What form do you do - TM, NSR etc?
I just started meditating ~1 week ago and it's not professional meditating I'm just focusing on my breathing. Imagining it how the air goes inside my nose, down my throat, into my lungs and out. Sometimes I count the breathing. And I STILL SEE results!

I have a great QiGong book: Smart Circulation + Embryonic Breathing by Dr. Yang, Jwing-Ming I'm going to read those after I finish Ca$hvertising.

BTW which meditation type do you recommend? @Harley

Last edited:

Harley

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
114%
Jun 9, 2014
T
I just started meditating ~1 week ago and it's not professional meditating I'm just focusing on my breathing. Imagining it how the air goes inside my nose, down my throat, into my lungs and out. Sometimes I count the breathing. And I STILL SEE results!

I have a great QiGong book: Smart Circulation + Embryonic Breathing by Dr. Yang, Jwing-Ming I'm going to read those after I finish Ca$hvertising.

BTW which meditation type do you recommend? @Harley
Thanks. I haven't started yet, but been researching as to what to do. I don't want anything with religious undertones.
Looked at TM but, man, they shit is expensive! $2000. And you have to be taught, can't learn yourself. NSR (Natural Stress Relief), Is supposed to be very similar and can be self-taught and only $47. So, looking in to this more.

FastlaneTiger

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
52%
Jun 27, 2014
Not the USA
"Adderall is basically caffeine on steroids."

you are kinda saying that.....
I meant that Adderall is like caffeine but stronger.

Caffeine: (according to wikipedia)
  • Caffeine increases levels of neurotransmitters such as norepinephrine, acetylcholine, dopamine, serotonin, epinephrine and glutamate.
  • Acetylcholine is associated with attention, concentration, learning, and memory but there is no conclusive evidence yet that caffeine has any effect on memory and cognitive function.
  • Low doses of caffeine show increased alertness and decreased fatigue.
  • Insomnia (not from wiki)
Adderall: (not from wiki)
  • Increases energy
  • Mental sharpness
  • Increases concentration
  • Increased alertness
  • Insomnia

By the way there is a thing called Modafinil but honestly I don't want to turn this thread into a drug discussion.
Modafinil improves memory, and enhances one's mood, alertness and cognitive powers.

Bottom line: Don't take drugs the side effects don't worth it. MEDITATE!

PS: I've never tried Adderall or Modafinil, these informations are from the Internet so you are might be right.

Ubermensch

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jul 7, 2008
Chicago

The original post, and some of the subsequent responses about caffeine, aderal and other drugs reminds me of the movie Limitless.

We live in a society of easy fixes; people love simple solutions. Don't like your body? Go for plastic surgery instead of putting in the sweat required to make yourself beautiful the old-fashioned way. Can't concentrate? Pop a pill. Feel anxious? Pop a pill.

This mental laziness extends itself even to our career choices, and isn't this what MJ rails against? When I was 23, my biggest nightmare was ending up as some asset management-finance-banking type, wearing a suit all day, dealing with sycophantic underlings and pompous superiors. All that just to make $250,000 a year and be just another faceless, empty suit, overseeing assets that are not even my own? That's not an asset manager. That's just an a$$.

Taken further, you can compare MJ's words to that of get-rich-quick (not that there's anything wrong with getting rich fast!) gurus. MJ doesn't really sugar-coat the truth. Over and over, he repeats that it's hard. It's not easy. You can't play on your Facebook all day and expect to get it. This is one thing I hate maybe the most about social media: The kind of guy who posts a picture of a Lamborghini on his profile page and isn't doing a damn thing that will realistically bring him the dough required to get one for himself. It's the epitome of fakeness and phoniness.

Don't get me wrong. Limitless is one of my favorite movies. Bradley Cooper plays perhaps the most modern - most realistic - superhero. His powers come not from extraterrestrial lineage, an accidental spider bite, or a flying metal suit. His powers come from using the most powerful organic weapon on earth - the human mind - to its full potential. In the above clip, he pops the NZT-48 pill (in the book, it's called MDT-48), and in a few seconds (0:58 - 1:33), he "feels something." Synapses ignite. Neurons flash. And then, "I was blind, but now I see." In a few moments, he interrupts the psychotic, bitchy ranting from his landlord's wife, and puts her to good use shortly thereafter.

In real life, however, such mastery requires hard work. There are no short-cuts.

"A tablet a day, and what I could do with my day was limitless. I learned to play the piano in three days."

For the next twenty seconds of the clip, Mr. Limitless performs Rachmaninoff's prelude in C# minor, opus 3, number 2 plays in the background as the viewer witnesses a montage of Mr. Forever working out, speaking other languages fluently, speaking about high-level finance and economics, etc.

In truth, however, as Dr. HAHA Lung states on page 50 of Mind Control, The Ancient Art of Psychological Warfare, All power comes from within.

I believe what we see in Mastery is the best popular depiction of what Robert Greene calls Mastery, "a form of power and intelligence that represents the high point of human potential. It is the source of the greatest achievements and discoveries in history. It is an intelligence that is not taught in our schools nor analyzed by professors, but almost all of us, at some point, have had glimpses of it in our own experience... we feel unusually energized and focused.. this intense concentration sparks all kinds of ideas... The process can be illustrated in the following manner. Let us say we are learning the piano... When we first study the piano, the keyboard looks rather intimidating - we don't understand the relationships between the keys, the chords, the pedals, and everything else that goes into creating music."

Takes longer than three days. Focus. Concentration. Such human skills man mathematically, methodically and even malevolently be applied to the task of getting filthy effin' rich.

ubermenschforever.blogspot.com

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.