The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The pursuit of happiness

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...
G

GuestUser8117

I'm in a quest for more happiness. I think a lot of people are unhappy and that sucks. In fact I would say most people are unhappy most of the time. How can I say that? Well, when I walk in the streets, at the shopping mail, at the grocery store, etc. I don't see fun, I don't see people smiling, I don't see happiness. And yet I live in Canada. From what I can see with my eyes, life seems miserable for the majority. Sometimes I think to myself "why is that?". Ah, must me the rat race. I think my level of happiness is higher than the average but still I'm not the most happiest guy. Some say it's a choice. Maybe. I don't have much friends, I don't have a girlfriend, I don't have a lot of money and yet I am more happy than others. Interesting. And I'm telling you fastlaners, if you constantly worry about money, you will never be satisfied with your present life. Now don't get me wrong I love money but being the guy with the most money is not my purpose in life. It's being happy. So, I'm asking you this: are you happy?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Tom.V

Tom
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
237%
Feb 20, 2012
San Juan
I'm always happy and upbeat. Thanks Tony Robbins!

D

DeletedUser394

Money can't buy me happiness, but I'm happiest when I can buy whatever I want, any time that I want, get high when I want...

Rickson9

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Sep 4, 2010
Canada
Only 2 quotes apply to me. Only speaking for myself.

"The search for happiness is one of the chief sources of unhappiness." – Eric Hoffer

"If you want to be happy, be." – Leo Tolstoy

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
495%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
One of my all time favorite movies. ;)

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida
Only 2 quotes apply to me. Only speaking for myself.

"The search for happiness is one of the chief sources of unhappiness." – Eric Hoffer

"If you want to be happy, be." – Leo Tolstoy

So for the tshirt, 2nd on the front, 1st on the back. This is awesome man, so easy to read, so challenging to practice.

Lights

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Apr 13, 2011
On the Internet
Happiness has no pursuit. It's just a state of being because you decide to be happy.

I have happiness, but I could be equally sad as well.

Lights

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Apr 13, 2011
On the Internet
So you think it's a choice huh? Not working for me. Far from it actually.

Well that's how I operate... which is why I don't cry over things or get overly happy over things either. I am very in control. My emotions are different from the norm though, since I am a pretty stoic/"cynic, referring Ancient Greek term" in my philosophy.

Epictetus:
"If, therefore, any be unhappy, let him remember that he is unhappy by reason of himself alone."

wade1mil

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
246%
Jun 29, 2011
So you think it's a choice huh? Not working for me.

I agree that it's a choice to be happy. We've all heard the stories of the rich actors that become addicted to drugs or kill themselves despite having millions of dollars. We also hear the stories of the people who lose both legs in a car accident or get incurable cancer and go on to inspire large crowds of people to be happy. They chose to be that way.

Read your recent posts: Looking for happiness, girl you haven't seen because you're stupid (your words), physically and mentally tired all the time, we're all slaves, no drive/motivation to start business, what is happiness, etc.

Quit trying to find things that are wrong, and try to find things that are right. Quit trying to be happy and just be happy. If you can't figure it out, then do something about it. Just decide to be happy.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
495%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Hard to be unhappy when you are your own person. Blazing your own path. At least for me. The happiest I have ever been is right now. I can see things falling into place. I don't doubt for one second that I will be where I want to be.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
495%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I'm always happy and upbeat. Thanks Tony Robbins!

I hope you are kidding... It took Tony Robbins to make you happy and upbeat?

D

DeletedUser11

Money will make any happy person really happy,

Money doesn't buy happiness but it buys you freedom and time to do whatever you want in life.

More money= more freedom

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
495%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Money will make any happy person really happy,

Money doesn't buy happiness but it buys you freedom and time to do whatever you want in life.

More money= more freedom

I like your comment, but I don't like where this thread is going...

The way of the money buying happiness thread.

vtlambo

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Mar 10, 2012
I hope you are kidding... It took Tony Robbins to make you happy and upbeat?

Tony Robbins is one expensive way of becoming happy lol. Happiness if found from within first, nothing external (whether it's an object or a person).

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
People are unhappy because they confuse happiness with satisfaction.

People say 'Once I am satisfied, I will be happy!'

Their happiness is contingent on some criteria, such as financial freedom, relationships, health, and others.

They are not truly happy. In fact, they get very unhappy when things don't go their way. This unhappiness causes problems, such as deep depressions, anxiety, and, worst of all: complacency.

They become identified with their performance and they set the bar lower, thinking that by doing this, they will become happier. They're dead wrong. Then they become complacent, but unhappy as they watch their dreams die in front of them.

With that being said, I'm happy as F*ck, despite my problems. I no longer need to seek happiness. I instead seek the freedom to accomplish my wildest of dreams, projects that I simply do not have the capital or time to risk because they are not meant to make money. That's why I'm here. Even though I'm not free yet, I'm as happy as I'll ever be. And I like that.

Maxjohan

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Mar 26, 2011
Their happiness is contingent on some criteria, such as financial freedom, relationships, health, and others.

They are not truly happy. In fact, they get very unhappy when things don't go their way. This unhappiness causes problems, such as deep depressions, anxiety, and, worst of all: complacency.
The fruit to depressions and anxiety and such has probably a lot to do with what happened to you when you were a child. Nothing you can get rid of all together. But it also depends on the person and what kind of depression/anxiety you have.

Of course, if you are depressed about the fact that you aren't where you want to be in life. Lack of money and such. Most likely, you will probably(?) feel better if or when you archive your goals.

Rickson9

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Sep 4, 2010
Canada
Comparing yourself to others is a good way to become unhappy too.

RBefort

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Sep 14, 2012
I would say I am happy to be alive, happy of all that I have gone through, etc. What I am not happy about is my current situation. Is this a choice? Yes. I can choose to be happy by changing my mindset. So why am I not happy? I don't like my life currently...I am in the rat race, don't have all the money that buys me that freedom to do what I want, I have not thought of a business idea/nor worked on it, my girlfriend got a dog, I still have debts I need to pay off. While I am happy with the larger picture, the micro parts of it I am not content with and therefore, WILL change over the next 5-10 years. I have already noticed how much happier I am now that I used my rat race job to save a little money and pay off credit card debts. Then, I can tackle another goal that will keep me happy in this aspect. You're correct in money not buying happiness...it buys the time in which you can do things that make you the MOST happy. Not having gf, friends, etc wouldn't make me happy, though. These are more important (at least friends/family). Being poor forever with at least one or all of those things is way better than rich, free, no friends (although cmon, who can't make friends? Harder to make the money).

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida
[video=youtube;Ow0lr63y4Mw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ow0lr63y4Mw[/video]

Tommy92l

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Aug 20, 2012
I tried to explain this to my sister who said that a normal job would make her happy. I told her to not be afraid to aim high, and she interpreted that as me saying "Eh, that's not really an impressive goal". In reality, we've be brought up to be -realistic-. She became annoyed and explained that you don't need money to be happy. I tried to clear up my point by saying that money buys freedom. I understand that, that NORMAL job may very well make you happy emotionally, but the times where money is not bad to have is when you wanted to go on a vacation, or spend time with your kids but you can't because you're at work! Her happiness was the "Just getting by" kind. And it made me feel like something was wrong with me because I want money, but it has NOTHING to do with the way it feels, looks, the status it gives me... it's because most of us really want to live life to the fullest, and there are just some things you can't do for free.

Sorry if that was a bit off topic... but we're all probably happy here because we are truly creating our own lives. The boss isn't in charge of where we'll be in 10 years, we are.

DaneWilbanks

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Mar 8, 2013
I'm in a quest for more happiness. I think a lot of people are unhappy and that sucks. In fact I would say most people are unhappy most of the time. How can I say that? Well, when I walk in the streets, at the shopping mail, at the grocery store, etc. I don't see fun, I don't see people smiling, I don't see happiness. And yet I live in Canada. From what I can see with my eyes, life seems miserable for the majority. Sometimes I think to myself "why is that?". Ah, must me the rat race. I think my level of happiness is higher than the average but still I'm not the most happiest guy. Some say it's a choice. Maybe. I don't have much friends, I don't have a girlfriend, I don't have a lot of money and yet I am more happy than others. Interesting. And I'm telling you fastlaners, if you constantly worry about money, you will never be satisfied with your present life. Now don't get me wrong I love money but being the guy with the most money is not my purpose in life. It's being happy. So, I'm asking you this: are you happy?

Happiness is comparable to money. An emotional investment, easier to come by but just as fleeting.
I currently am ecstatic.

Geekspeak

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
80%
Mar 25, 2013
Philippines
Good day. I am from what a recent survey hailed as the happiest country, the Philippines. In our country, many are really poor and suffering. What's interesting is that when you ask these people if they are saddened by their situation, many will say that they are not. They will cite the many blessings that they already have, despite their situation; and that, these are enough to be thankful of. Aside from this, I think what allows many Filipinos to endure their status is the close ties they have in their family.

dpj

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
245%
Mar 21, 2013
Texas
Each of us has his/her own definition or description of happiness, and it's all relative. For instance, my childhood was very poor financially, and later my parents had more money, but, looking back, it was always happy despite any hardships. Would we have been happier if there had always been a lot more money? Maybe, maybe not, but we certainly would have had more choices on how could have shared our time. And, more money could have meant less parent work time, more family time, etc.

What bugs me is how some people wear poverty as a badge of honor, and make wealth out to be bad, evil, or the root of all UNhappiness. It becomes a self-fulfilling excuse for them to not even try to become wealthy, so they never fail.

Judging by many Facebook posts, many people tend to show a glimpse of happiness on Fridays, less on Saturdays because the weekend is halfway over, and then back to unhappy Mondays. I am new to this forum, but in the week that I have been here, I will say that I am enjoying sharing and reading ideas with like-minded people, many of whom are motivated very day, knowing that life and happiness doesn't have revolve around TGIF.

dpj

RBefort

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Sep 14, 2012
Sadly, I am that exact person you describe. Wake up 4 days a week feeling unfulfilled, especially with winter still on its last legs here. Need to get my shit together

Steele Concept

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
83%
Sep 3, 2012
Connecticut
Hard to be unhappy when you are your own person. Blazing your own path. At least for me. The happiest I have ever been is right now. I can see things falling into place. I don't doubt for one second that I will be where I want to be.

This quote explains it. Are you being true to yourself? Are you doing what you want to do in life and going at it with tenacity? This will vary greatly from person to person.

Some days I am happier than others. For me, I am happiest when I'm pursuing my venture adding value to others lives and selling... doing Jiu Jitsu, hanging with buds ;), spending time with the girl, learning etc.. I love to learn and perfect a craft. I love nature and the outdoors and how they work, spring is an exciting time of year for outdoorsy people and gardeners. You can almost hear the earth coming back alive and yawning from that long a$$ winter snooze.

I am building a business while I make money from my first invention on the side. I am in the process of seeing a new idea to fruition and it is an exciting time. Like Kak says you gotta blaze your own path, this is especially true for us with the entrepreneurial bug.

Issac

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
47%
Oct 16, 2012
Elk Grove California
We create our own "unhapiness". Life is truly easy, we make it more difficult. The key is to fully understand YOURSELF spiritually. Life becomes difficult when MIND, BODY, and SPRIT are NOT in harmony. Master your mind and become unstoppable.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.