The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The Power of Kool-Aid

Anything related to matters of the mind

wilddog

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
182%
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto
My wife's cousin is hardcore into this MLM product. It's some body wrap you wear that apparently makes you skinny and lose weight. She shows up to your house or throws a party where she wraps you for 20 minutes for X dollars. This girl eats/breathes/lives the brand and constantly posts about it on her FB.

Now this cousin is trying to 'recruit' my brother-in-law's girlfriend, who is a fitness fanatic and works for the government as a nutritionist for the obese. She tries to nicely explain to said cousin that both physically and scientifically this product is a crock of shit. But the cousin refuses to believe it and absolutely flips her lid...

Yesterday I decided to watch a conference video on this MLM and I was amazed. These guys have every member in the audience lapping out of their hands. It's unreal and amazing all at the same time.

I realized, getting people to drink your flavor of Kool-aid not only brings in revenue. But it creates a following of warriors that will fight for you tooth-and-nail without thought or hesitation. Even if your followers aren't getting paid. If you're product is ETHICAL and truly great then there is something to learn here. Make sure you build a brand that people will rally to. Bring that same energy, charisma, and amazing support, and the result is an army of loyal followers ready to fight.

WOW

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

DrkSide

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
219%
Mar 26, 2013
It really is disturbing how people follow the MLM game. It is a two fold problem that stems not only from the person being susceptible to their marketing but also they sell the EVENT and not the process. They skip over the sales and work and go straight to "We made all this money and you can to!"

I had a discussion with someone that is a part of an MLM last weekend. The products that they sold were in line with my products and they were looking at them.

MLMer: "We love your product! Are the oils you use Therapeutic Grade?
Me: "There is not such term. That is a marketing slogan for the company that you sell.
MLMer: "Well if they are not therapeutic grade we can't use them"
Me: "That term is trademarked by the company whose product you sell and I can't use it if I wanted to"
MLMer: "Well then we don't like you products"

All through this conversation they did not even hint at understanding what I was trying to get across.

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
suburbs of savannah in Ga
I have personally never used the product but I know what it is... I know people who have personally been "wrapped" and yes it works... temporarily... I know people who sell and use it...

its a fast quick fix for little problem areas... definitely not a make you skinny solution LOL

its a typical mlm product.

and mlm recruitment process :p

D

DeletedUser2

MLM is not about the products, its about the culture of belonging, and a "tribe" mentality of US vs THEM (every one who is not US)

the products are secondary.

the culture is what drives the behavior. the products are just a pivotal focus for the culture. but does not matter.

welcome to the Walking Dead, Zombie hordes of MLMers...

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
they fiercely defend it too LOL

I had an online friend... lets call him Joe. he is heavy into mlm. probably a decent product. idc. its mlm and I don't want it. he friended me off a comment I made on an article somewhere.

he had good start on financial things, making money etc. but still always all about the mlm product...

I would comment here and there on non mlm related financial things he posted and he would try to recruit me from time to time. ever the salesman :p

anyway long story short after like 2 or 3 yrs he tries to sell me with some video hes made... I nicely ignore it and then ask him if hes thought about anything financial besides stockpiling all the money hes "raking in" with the mlm. this excited him. hes all, sure you know I read rich dad poor dad etc...

so I tell him ok I want to send you a link to a book and a forum I belong too... but its not a regular forum, you cant have a sig or promote your mlm at all.

so he is interested(so he said), a few days go by he contacts me again about his video, in response I ask so did you check out that forum? hes like yeah for a minute but then I had to do other things...

I told him that I really wasn't interested in his mlm and yes I know what they are and how they work and all and if he cares to know why I am not interested and why it isn't allowed to be posted about on this forum he should come and check it out...

he started flipping out about how his top upline guy made over 38million dollars in over 25 yrs in mlm and 20 just in this business etc, how much money have I made?

I gave up at that point and now we are no longer friends LOL

parkerscott

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Dec 4, 2013
My little brother and, someone he knew duked it out over a mlm the other day. The Mlm sells energy drinks and, like typical mlm's they sell the lifestyle that you can retire your parents. The kid made a tweet saying "cant wait to retire my parents" My brother then replied "lol" and the kid got so mad he wanted to fight my brother so my brother gave him our address. Long story short the kid walked away, turned around and then sucker punched my brother, then they started fighting. That sucker punch cut a hole in his lip that required stitches on the inside and out lol. The kid is still pushing the MlM to this day and, surely enough he hasnt made any progress.

wilddog

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
182%
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto
MLM is not about the products, its about the culture of belonging, and a "tribe" mentality of US vs THEM (every one who is not US)

the products are secondary.

the culture is what drives the behavior. the products are just a pivotal focus for the culture. but does not matter.

welcome to the Walking Dead, Zombie hordes of MLMers...

The way the audience reacts, you would think Jesus is on stage performing miracles.

From a fastlane perspective, If you can influence your customers to such a degree with an ethical product that really works, your business is set for stardom.

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
yes you want to own the product or own the mlm and or be very early on and thus higher up in the company/ "upline" legs whatever a diamond... they all have their own thing...

it group/mob mentality reinforced by a little bit of money...

RHL

The coaching was a joke guys.
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
747%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ
I realized, getting people to drink your flavor of Kool-aid not only brings in revenue. But it creates a following of warriors that will fight for you tooth-and-nail without thought or hesitation. Even if your followers aren't getting paid.

Something else can do this though. Value. Do you know why the owners of Porsche 911s are absolutely fanatical about them, defending them on all kinds of online forums and bragging about them everywhere?

Because they're incredible products that deliver absolutely incredible value.

Yeah, you can brain wash and trick people into ruthlessly promoting your product, but isn't it nicer just to sit back and hear complements and enthusiasm, not because you created an army of mindless drones, but because you took people's money and gave them back something absolutely wonderful for it?

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
Something else can do this though. Value. Do you know why the owners of Porsche 911s are absolutely fanatical about them, defending them on all kinds of online forums and bragging about them everywhere?

Yeah, you can brain wash and trick people into ruthlessly promoting your product, but isn't it nicer just to sit back and hear complements and enthusiasm, not because you created an army of mindless drones, but because you took people's money and gave them back something absolutely wonderful for it?
some people really don't give a shit... as long as they get their car allowance and a little money coming in on the side and free product they are mini gods themselves

wilddog

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
182%
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto

Like I said in my post, if your product is ethical and works great, then you can garner the same fanbase as MLMs. Which can launch your brand.

On a side note, having several friends and a brother with Porches I can tell you they love Porches because they're Porches. :D

You want to talk about value in car terms, then you're talking about a Mitsubishi Evo or Chevy Corvette. Hell, the new mustang beats the M3's lap time at Laguna Seca, and does it for half the price! THAT'S VALUE!

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
However, Watkins Carbo Salve kicks a$$. There's also a vanilla that my wife likes that you can only buy (maybe also from Watkins?) There's a third product called Beer Bread. From some other MLM. I have cupboard full of tupperware and drawers full of chefs gadgets.

So, hat's off to the guys and gals at the TOP of the pyramid.

Magik

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
255%
Sep 23, 2013
MLM is all about recruiting people. They constantly have to recruit people, or their business would die. Recruiting people is more important than selling products to them, and there is a reason for that. The reason is they get the sellers money for products, "training" and seminars, etc. That's the REAL business.

rogen

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
May 27, 2013
-
Here in Poland They are even making "conferences" in high schools after lessons showing 16 y olds suitcases full of cash and telling them "just join us, one day this suitcase will be yours"..
and its effective, some even dropout from school to go into MLM full time

Sad truth is 99% wont ever see this suitcase, maybe 1% will realise they need to build their own mlm company and then they may "succeed"

Last edited:

PeeVee

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Dec 17, 2013
Minneapolis, MN
Cult Mentality/Following. There are lessons in this crazy story. If you are building a brand this stuff is golden when used properly (think: Apple, Harley Davidson, Zappos, etc.)

Get them drinking the cool aid and you will have an army of warriors. Hell I am fanatical of MJ's brand. It adds value to my life, I share his philosophies and those of many on the forum, his product adds value to my life plan, gives me a roadmap to freedom and so on. But the again that's probably what MLM zombies think about the scheme they love,except that in most cases there is a constant need to outlay cash. The MFL community gives much more than it takes.

It's funny that I read this when I did. I was just googling for a book on cult branding.

Lauryn

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Jul 11, 2013
Dallas, TX
I know the product you're talking about.

A friend sent it to me to try. I slept as I was supposed to be the "menthol" scent caused a nasal drip and I got an infection. Yes, my body does get sensitive to stress, and I am empathic (I pick up on psychic residue/toxicity)... but when I told her I got sick because it must have made my nose runny while sleeping, I was told it was the stress.

I didn't see any real results from it. Some light ones, but nothing big. It helps you lose fluid/water weight inches... and there's supposedly SOME science in terms of the ingredients flushing your system's toxic fluids, but the women who seem to benefit most are moms with stretched skin. On top of it, the best results come from eating right and exercising.... and that's where I suspect the real results come from... no need for that product unless you're already committed to that kind of lifestyle.

I support my friends' passionate endeavors but things only work if you do the work....

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
there are a lot of them that have decent and dare I even say good products... Its the whole bill of goods that comes from the contact with the people...

I like companies like avon and mark kay and Tupperware used to be. it can be awesome product/business model. they sell you stuff (as a main business) and if you ask them about signing up you can and they let you know if your interested you can but no one is trying to shove it down your throat...

Lauryn

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Jul 11, 2013
Dallas, TX
I like companies like avon and mark kay and Tupperware used to be. it can be awesome product/business model. they sell you stuff (as a main business) and if you ask them about signing up you can and they let you know if your interested you can but no one is trying to shove it down your throat...

They bought dream... and now they're selling you one.
Anything that starts off by telling me to call my family or friends to support me is something that I don't need to deal with.

I started out in network marketing, MLM and stuff...moved on to Internet Marketing... now I have my edge in publishing, product creation and easing the lives of others. Many MLMs have great products. I wish, like you said, the focus would return to the product and not the recruitment.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.