The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The Poor Man I Cant get a job: Flipping Stuff Log

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Lol, no not at all. This is just my internet postings.

I haven't met anyone who was awesome online and a dick in person. I haven't met anyone who was a dick online and awesome in person.

It's not like I just sit at my computer and decide, ok I'm going to log into my account and become a dick. Then I log off and I'm suddenly happy and friendly. You are who you are.

I bet you are the same in real life. You are just lying to yourself.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
D

DeletedUser0287

That's what I used to do. But normally they do a phone interview first.

And I'm going to add that all my friends did this to get jobs. I had friends time vacations to coincide with interviews.

Back in the old days, I had to put a Cali area code on my resume because there weren't cell phones yet. So I couldn't have a Chicago phone number. I had to use my friends number in LA to put on my resume.

Then I'd schedule the interview 2-3 weeks out using excuses on why I couldn't come in tomorrow.

Maybe you are losing out to others that try harder during the interview process.

And you would pay for your own relocation then too since they thought you were local?

D

DeletedUser0287

I haven't met anyone who was awesome online and a dick in person. I haven't met anyone who was a dick online and awesome in person.

It's not like I just sit at my computer and decide, ok I'm going to log into my account and become a dick. Then I log off and I'm suddenly happy and friendly. You are who you are.

I bet you are the same in real life. You are just lying to yourself.

Not sure why you keep pushing the "I am the same person on the internet, as I am in real life."
It really just doesn't apply to me.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
And you would pay for your own relocation then too since they thought you were local?

Yes, that's the whole point. So that the hiring company wouldn't have to pay for your relocation.

If they can hire someone local for $50k and no relocation or you for $50k and have to pay $10k for moving expenses, who would they pick?

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Not sure why you keep pushing the "I am the same person on the internet, as I am in real life."
It really just doesn't apply to me.

Ok, I guess you are just different than everyone else. All we know is your internet persona and it's not good. You keep saying that you are different in person, yet your results don't support it. That's why I think that you are not truly aware of who you are. Just my opinion.

tpuffer

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
315%
Sep 12, 2019
Just finished reading this whole thing...

As far as the job goes - your resume is probably shit. Go out and network with people in the industry that you want to be in and show them how awesome you are. When opportunities come up they will think or you. I've had this happen a few times.

You mention renting out a home costing you $20-$30K? Is this the amount you have in savings right now?

At some point you need to quit talking about it and start BEING about it. Just pick something and get moving down a path. I'd rather have 60% of an ok plan but be moving forward than 95% of a "great" plan and be doing nothing.

ACTION IS KING!

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
Personally, it depends on the day.... sometimes I'm a dick in person and sometimes I'm a great guy.... and as you've seen, same here on the internet. Sometimes I can be both within 60 seconds in person or on the internet. Kinda like multi-tasking to me. Sometimes I even chew gum at the same time. ;)

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
8. I would have called him an idiot and walked away a LONG time ago. I also tend to expect ppl to not want to “waste” their time fighting my limiting beliefs. This thread is confronting that belief, in spades.

I'll be the one to call him an idiot.

go back to each of my posts in this thread and answer each of them again in one reply. then we'll find you a job. do your part.

When @ZCP posts things like this, it means that he's going into full-on "I'm going to change this guy's life mode". I don't know if @ZCP can, but from what I've seen, he sure as F*ck tries (in private and publicly... for example in the Eric's Cheesecake debacle).

Meanwhile the kid's reply to the multiple offers for help is laugh it off and come up with another excuse for why he's going to be a loser.

I'm with @Timmy C - this thread is becoming #landfill material. @MoreValue isn't doing shit with his life because he doesn't want to do shit with his life. He's coming up with reasons why he's going to fail. Until he sees that and realizes that he's the problem, then this thread is an absolute waste of time, as are the countless of threads we've seen before this where the OP wants to lose.

CareCPA

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
356%
May 2, 2017
Pennsylvania
Yes.

My wife saw a job at a nonprofit in Seattle she was interested in (we live in Central PA).
So we flew out there for her to interview. There would have been no relocation package. We just told them we would be in the area anyway, so it was no big deal for her to come in to interview.

She didn't get the job, but I don't regret it for a second.

D

DeletedUser0287

Yes.

My wife saw a job at a nonprofit in Seattle she was interested in (we live in Central PA).
So we flew out there for her to interview. There would have been no relocation package. We just told them we would be in the area anyway, so it was no big deal for her to come in to interview.

She didn't get the job, but I don't regret it for a second.

Wow, props for doing it.

MHP368

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Aug 17, 2016
Sahuarita AZ
First of all , this entire 5 pages is...an interesting trainwreck of sorts. Some solid insight and info , what caught my eye though

You’re also not going to get handed free shit to resell

What if you had va's post ads in a huge area (reachable by car) saying you take idk like old vintage electronics that dont work , free pickup , learn how to fix em and then resell that to hipsters?

Some (lots?) Of that old stuff goes for a pretty penny and i'm sure in most cases its the same simple fix. Like when washing machines break you can run down a list of the most common reasons and fix em for 20 bucks then flip those. Probably the same for ol electronics , same parts go bad.

Worst case scenario you become a skilled hoarder with lead poisoning.

Brewmacker

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Jun 17, 2019
The Netherlands
So the reality is that I have a healthcare degree. Not an engineering degree. Generally people in the entrepreneur circles tend to say you don't need a degree and you can learn everything you need from Youtube videos and/or online courses. Guess not. Went back over a few positions I applied for and was also immediately rejected by all of them.

The reality is nobody takes you seriously if you learn off Youtube or some online course. They hold no weight.

Lots of entrepreneurs like to thrash that degrees are worthless. But society as a whole and companies still value degrees. They don't even look at you if you don't have one in related field.

Everything is a trade off. I only have enough money to do one at a time. I want to:
Go back to school ($40k) for a piece of paper
Develop my products ($???k)
Rent out a Home ($20-30k)

Dude! Please tell me you are not this naive?

I really want to help you, but it seems like this could be hopeless.

If you are looking for a scripted job, play the scripted game!

99% of degrees in this world CAN in fact be replaced by YouTube, mainly because they are F*cking worthless degrees.

Engineering (Mechanical, Chemical, Electrical), Medicine, Law, biochemistry etc. You need that piece of paper to get a job!

Why?

Because they are really really really F*cking hard, and cover such a broad range of topics that are required for the job.

Yes you can watch Youtube and learn how to design beautiful 3D cad models, but then:
  • what do you know about the material properties you are choosing,
  • how do you calculate the static and dynamic stresses on components,
  • design for final production/assembly and storage
  • design for distribution (i.e. how doe you design to pack as many devices in one box as possible to minimize distribution costs)
  • programming the PLC/HMI control,
  • the complex mathematics (Laplace theory) to dampen out the noise in RF frequency or electrical interference in rotating/moving machinery,
  • Calculating Eigen frequencies to ensure the device doesn't vibrate itself to death
  • Safe electrical wiring and components used to power and control the device.
  • process flow calculations for gases and liquids
  • heat transfer properties
In the end, after a YouTube series you will be an CAD artist with a health degree, and a million miles (5 years and $40,000) away from being an engineer.

If you came to my firm with a health degree and youTube training you better have a F*cking awesome portfolio of relevant successful products to show me before I could trust you to do the job. If you make a mistake here people can die.

Let me correct you on a few things that you said, in the hope this gives you a better understanding of your own potential:

You: "So the reality is that I have a healthcare degree."
Are you F*cking kidding me?? That is pure GOLD!
If you find a "need" or find a way to bring "value" in that field, it can have international impacts. Get a job and use your knowledge to find something useful!

You: "Generally people in the entrepreneur circles tend to say you don't need a degree and you can learn everything you need from Youtube videos and/or online courses. Guess not."
Guess again! To become an entrepreneur this education path will work just fine!
The Entrepreneur needs to find a need and execute. Further as an Entrepreneur hire yourself negating the need for that piece of paper!
When you find a need and it requires engineering, would you hire someone like yourself? Or that person with the piece of paper who can actually get the job done?

You: "The reality is nobody takes you seriously if you learn off Youtube or some online course. They hold no weight".
I take myself pretty F*cking seriously! Trust me, no body gives a F*ck about me, anyway as close to how much I give a F*ck about me. That applies to you too buddy! Start treating yourself with the respect you deserve, because no one will ever give it to you for nothing.
They will take you seriously when you have evidence of your achievements (i.e. a portfolio of hard work)! At that point no one cares about education when they can see the potential.

You: "Lots of entrepreneurs like to thrash that degrees are worthless. But society as a whole and companies still value degrees. They don't even look at you if you don't have one in related field."
Your again missing the point! The valuable degrees are worth ALOT!
To be an entrepreneur you work for your self, its like the easiest job interview ever! It doesn't require a piece of paper, but you are kidding yourself if you think that it doesn't mean you have to learn and work as hard.
I bet most, if not all entrepreneurs who have started their own company are very very interested in those pieces of paper when hiring top people for a highly qualified role. Or the candiate better have a long list of success stories with a tracked record in the relevant field (that portfolio again?)

You: "I want to:
Go back to school ($40k) for a piece of paper"

Really? Really? Really? If that is how you see it then you are lost my friend.
Do you not think your going to have to work or learn or will gain skills? Yes, it is a "piece of paper" in the end, but that "piece of paper" is a testament of process, grit, intelligence and hard hard work!
You are kidding your self if you think it is not important or valuable.

Hope this helps change you point of view.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
So the reality is that I have a healthcare degree. Not an engineering degree.

Field Service Engineer. Hydraulics/Pneumatics/Fluidics

Did you just make all this shit up?

Maybe I'll pretend that I am a doctor on the forum because I couldn't dare let anyone know that I'm an engineer. Maybe someone will figure out who I am.

I know many will find it hard to believe, but just based on my experience alone, I’m pretty sure you can narrow it down to who I am. Field is super niche.

We now know that real reason you wouldn't send anyone your resume to review is because it's nowhere near what you pretend it to be.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
I'd close this thread but there are too many people involved for me to landfill it at this point. As always, the value is in the lessons taught here, not necessarily for the OP.

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
Jan 13, 2014
$500 is a chance. Not guaranteed. If I flew out to every interview I had, I would be down several thousand by now.
You might have a job by now too. You seem to be mentally defeated before you even step out a little. I understand and sympathize. My natural disposition is the same.

That said, when your inner coward jumps out, you gotta recognize it for what it is, and override it with the front lobe.

Also, I don't know if you're just not teachable, or if the rationalization hamster is in sheer override because of fear and anxiety, but dude, you've got so many people who know what they're talking about trying to offer workable suggestions and you just shoot them down left and right. It's Olympics level mental gymnastics.

Take a deep breath and be open.

Brewmacker

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Jun 17, 2019
The Netherlands
I'd close this thread but there are too many people involved for me to landfill it at this point. As always, the value is in the lessons taught here, not necessarily for the OP.

Agreed. Maybe freeze it now and rename it as the example that it is.
Though, it woud be nice to see something positive come out of this.

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
"I know many will find it hard to believe, but just based on my experience alone, I’m pretty sure you can narrow it down to who I am."

I think you are 100% correct, we HAVE figured out who you are! ;)

D

DeletedUser0287

Dude! Please tell me you are not this naive?

I really want to help you, but it seems like this could be hopeless.

If you are looking for a scripted job, play the scripted game!

99% of degrees in this world CAN in fact be replaced by YouTube, mainly because they are F*cking worthless degrees.

Engineering (Mechanical, Chemical, Electrical), Medicine, Law, biochemistry etc. You need that piece of paper to get a job!

Why?

Because they are really really really F*cking hard, and cover such a broad range of topics that are required for the job.

Yes you can watch Youtube and learn how to design beautiful 3D cad models, but then:
  • what do you know about the material properties you are choosing,
  • how do you calculate the static and dynamic stresses on components,
  • design for final production/assembly and storage
  • design for distribution (i.e. how doe you design to pack as many devices in one box as possible to minimize distribution costs)
  • programming the PLC/HMI control,
  • the complex mathematics (Laplace theory) to dampen out the noise in RF frequency or electrical interference in rotating/moving machinery,
  • Calculating Eigen frequencies to ensure the device doesn't vibrate itself to death
  • Safe electrical wiring and components used to power and control the device.
  • process flow calculations for gases and liquids
  • heat transfer properties
In the end, after a YouTube series you will be an CAD artist with a health degree, and a million miles (5 years and $40,000) away from being an engineer.

If you came to my firm with a health degree and youTube training you better have a F*cking awesome portfolio of relevant successful products to show me before I could trust you to do the job. If you make a mistake here people can die.

Let me correct you on a few things that you said, in the hope this gives you a better understanding of your own potential:

You: "So the reality is that I have a healthcare degree."
Are you F*cking kidding me?? That is pure GOLD!
If you find a "need" or find a way to bring "value" in that field, it can have international impacts. Get a job and use your knowledge to find something useful!

You: "Generally people in the entrepreneur circles tend to say you don't need a degree and you can learn everything you need from Youtube videos and/or online courses. Guess not."
Guess again! To become an entrepreneur this education path will work just fine!
The Entrepreneur needs to find a need and execute. Further as an Entrepreneur hire yourself negating the need for that piece of paper!
When you find a need and it requires engineering, would you hire someone like yourself? Or that person with the piece of paper who can actually get the job done?

You: "The reality is nobody takes you seriously if you learn off Youtube or some online course. They hold no weight".
I take myself pretty F*cking seriously! Trust me, no body gives a F*ck about me, anyway as close to how much I give a F*ck about me. That applies to you too buddy! Start treating yourself with the respect you deserve, because no one will ever give it to you for nothing.
They will take you seriously when you have evidence of your achievements (i.e. a portfolio of hard work)! At that point no one cares about education when they can see the potential.

You: "Lots of entrepreneurs like to thrash that degrees are worthless. But society as a whole and companies still value degrees. They don't even look at you if you don't have one in related field."
Your again missing the point! The valuable degrees are worth ALOT!
To be an entrepreneur you work for your self, its like the easiest job interview ever! It doesn't require a piece of paper, but you are kidding yourself if you think that it doesn't mean you have to learn and work as hard.
I bet most, if not all entrepreneurs who have started their own company are very very interested in those pieces of paper when hiring top people for a highly qualified role. Or the candiate better have a long list of success stories with a tracked record in the relevant field (that portfolio again?)

You: "I want to:
Go back to school ($40k) for a piece of paper"

Really? Really? Really? If that is how you see it then you are lost my friend.
Do you not think your going to have to work or learn or will gain skills? Yes, it is a "piece of paper" in the end, but that "piece of paper" is a testament of process, grit, intelligence and hard hard work!
You are kidding your self if you think it is not important or valuable.

Hope this helps change you point of view.

Although, those topics listed could also be found online. I most likely have to go back to school. Hesistant in doing so because my resources are strapped. I just have to decide where to allocate my lack of resources now. School or Business...can’t afford to do both

MTEE1985

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
425%
Jun 12, 2018
Arizona
@MoreValue

If you can answer one question without taking offense...why are you on this forum? “Being unscripted ” is not an answer. What specifically do you want to gain from this place?

tpuffer

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
315%
Sep 12, 2019
Although, those topics listed could also be found online. I most likely have to go back to school. Hesistant in doing so because my resources are strapped. I just have to decide where to allocate my lack of resources now. School or Business...can’t afford to do both

Your mindset is strapped too.

Open your mind to the possibility that you can accomplish anything you want if you quit creating excuses and roadblocks for yourself!

You don't lack resources - You lack RESOURCEFULNESS!

D

DeletedUser0287

Your mindset is strapped too.

Open your mind to the possibility that you can accomplish anything you want if you quit creating excuses and roadblocks for yourself!

You don't lack resources - You lack RESOURCEFULNESS!

Ok, I will magically just think in my head and all the costs will vanish before my eyes. Cost of doing business is now free and tuition is now free as well. All barriers down and can execute

tpuffer

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
315%
Sep 12, 2019
Ok, I will magically just think in my head and all the costs will vanish before my eyes. Cost of doing business is now free and tuition is now free as well. All barriers down and can execute

Missing the point entirely my friend. And that's fine - you just aren't ready to amend your mindset yet.

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia

What was said had nothing to do with your products costs, and has everything to do with your defeatist thinking.

What if you thought like this.

Ok I need X dollars for this business.
How can I get preorders?

What can I do RIGHT NOW to move things in the right direction?

How can I test the market and create an MVP and how cheap can I do it for, to actually not spend a boatload of money ?

What other businesses can I build to increase cashflow and use that to put towards the ideas I want to pursue?

How can I get creative and make this happen?

The language your using indicates you have a fixed mindset that this is the way it is. Alot of limiting beliefs to.

Notice the questions I have asked get you think how can I do this, not I can't, I have no money woo is me.

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
In a previous post you said you couldn't afford road kill even.

If that isn't a limiting belief I dont know what is, roadkill is literally free.

You can do this man, but you really need to take a hard look at yourself and put your ego aside. Alot of great advice here.

PizzaOnTheRoof

Moving Forward
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 30, 2018
Texas
So you don’t have a job, can’t afford roadkill, and you’re wanting to start a business that’ll cost $XXXk?

My dude you need a part time job at least.

$1,500/mo is cake. Just stop the slow bleeding already.

“But I’m overqualified!”
Good.

“But it’ll take up all of my time!”
Good.

“But $1,500/mo isn’t enough!”
Good.

Eat shit and stay hungry.

Jon L

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Aug 22, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I'm gonna throw in my two cents.

Before you start a business, hire a therapist. (After you find a job). The therapist should be paid for after you pay for rent, utilities, food and transportation, and before anything else. They're that important.

I'm not at all trying to insult you. I have one myself. A good one is worth their weight in gold.

A lot of people here are picking up on your limiting beliefs. I agree with them. Limiting beliefs will prevent you from doing quite a few things. A good therapist will help you get rid of them.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ

No, but magically thinking could have made you put down on your resume that you live in the city of the jobs you applied for.

You could have asked us, how do I get over this barrier of location in my job search that's been plaguing me, vs. coming here afterwards and saying that you are at a disadvantage because of it.

You see, your mind is not letting you see solutions or even ask for help. It's seeing the problems after they've passed on by.

That's why you keep saying it takes money to make money, and we say no it doesn't.

You say, I have to live in the city of my job to get the job, and we say no you don't.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.