The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The permanent pop up restaurant...

Idea threads

abefroman

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Dec 27, 2021
This is an idea that I have thought about for a long time. I think it has potential but I might be missing something. I live in Chicago and I have always liked the concept of a pop up restaurant. While the food itself is usually really good, theres just something cool about it being temporary.

Pop ups allow chefs to R&D a concept at a fraction of the price compared to opening a traditional restaurant. However, there is a lot of red tape involved within the process of creating a pop up. This leads to higher than perceived costs.

To create a pop up restaurant you need the following:
  • Find a location
  • Negotiate rental time agreement
  • Get insurance
  • Get permits
  • Get licenses
  • Source product (food)
  • Set up a mobile kitchen (if needed)
  • Get plates, utensils, takeout containers, ... etc
  • Set up a dinning room / seating (if needed)
  • Find staff (if needed)
  • Set up POS system
  • Set up marketing / advertisement plan
As you can see there are a lot of steps. I think this scares away a lot of people who can do the most important part - make great food. That is where my idea comes in.

A permanent pop up restaurant. This restaurant would always be changing its menu and chefs. It would also be much more resistant to YELP reviews and ever changing food trends. Most importantly, it would allow a chef to focus solely on their food and concept.

The following is the value the business would give to chefs wanting to create a pop up:

• Find a location
    • Provided
  • Negotiate rental time agreement
    • Done through a website allowing for as little as one lunch service or as long as two weeks.
  • Get insurance
    • Provided
  • Get permits
    • Provided
  • Get licenses
    • Provided
  • Source product (food)
    • Create partnerships with food suppliers to offer discounts
  • Set up a mobile kitchen (if needed)
    • Provided
  • Get plates, utensils, takeout containers, ... etc
    • Provided
  • Set up a dinning room / seating (if needed)
    • Provided
  • Find staff (if needed)
    • Possibly provided. May leave it up to the chef in order to manage less people
  • Set up POS system
    • Provided
  • Set up marketing / advertisement plan
    • Utilizing social media platforms this would be provided.

The business would generate income from daily rentals and different add on features. After building a reputation I would lower/remove the rental costs for a percent of generated profit.

There would also be potential for a youtube channel as well as creating udemy courses.

The only employees needed in the beginning are a facility manager and social media manager. The rest can be outsourced (Cleaning crews and that type of stuff).

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time and happy new year!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I actually poo-poo'd this idea, but I think there is value in it. In effect, you are offering a restaurant validation service.

New chefs and restaurateurs can test market concepts without the huge cost. After 1 or 2 months of data, they can leave an open up a new permanent restaurant, or drop the idea. Upon leaving, they can message all their customers who used the popup.

I can see this working in Chicago and other major metro area.

abefroman

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Dec 27, 2021
I actually poo-poo'd this idea, but I think there is value in it. In effect, you are offering a restaurant validation service.

New chefs and restaurateurs can test market concepts without the huge cost. After 1 or 2 months of data, they can leave an open up a new permanent restaurant, or drop the idea. Upon leaving, they can message all their customers who used the popup.

I can see this working in Chicago and other major metro area.
Thanks for the feedback.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.