The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The most depressing post you will read this month

dbelov275

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jul 7, 2017
Europe
So as I was going through my daily ritual of browsing the web in search of business opportunities, I ran into this Reddit post

"... [Does Anyone Else] ever hear their alarm go off in the morning and immediately start rationalizing quitting your job or dropping out of school in order to stay in bed?"

It immediately reminded of what my life felt like before I hit the "F*ck it" button and became self employed. Horrific memories of me questioning my life choices in between snoozes; then proceeding to drive my financed entry level Cadillac into morning traffic, while a strong feeling of nausea and fear was growing in me as I was getting closer to my job's parking lot.

Every day literally felt like I was waking up only to drive myself to the abattoir, die a little, only to start over the next day. I remember thinking: "This can't be it. Life cannot suck that much. There's got to be some other way. I'm not accepting this shit anymore."

Back to the Reddit post.

I was expecting to hear tales similar to mine. You know... Human beings who didn't like something, then reacted accordingly. Nope, none of that. All I saw was people trying to figure out how to suck it up and make it less painful. "Take a hot shower!" one said. "Maybe you need anti-depressants!" said the next one. "Sleep more!" and so on... Everyone was trying to numb the symptom, but no one was addressing the problem. If you wake up everyday wishing you were doing something else, well... has it occurred to you that maybe you should?

It fascinantes me that society's stigma of following the preordained path is so strong people can't see they have other options. I've personally been self employed for 3 years and about to start my first real business. It's not been easy to break free from "conventional wisdom" and face violent headwinds everyday, but it's been totally worth it. I don't expect going in business to be easy, but the potential reward massively outweighs the effort. Hell... even failing at business is more enjoyable than working most jobs, so why not take a shot at it?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

dbelov275

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jul 7, 2017
Europe
Wow to succeed in this life it requires determination and self discovery just as you did

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
231%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
So as I was going through my daily ritual of browsing the web in search of business opportunities, I ran into this Reddit post

"... [Does Anyone Else] ever hear their alarm go off in the morning and immediately start rationalizing quitting your job or dropping out of school in order to stay in bed?"

It immediately reminded of what my life felt like before I hit the "f*ck it" button and became self employed. Horrific memories of me questioning my life choices in between snoozes; then proceeding to drive my financed entry level Cadillac into morning traffic, while a strong feeling of nausea and fear was growing in me as I was getting closer to my job's parking lot.

Every day literally felt like I was waking up only to drive myself to the abattoir, die a little, only to start over the next day. I remember thinking: "This can't be it. Life cannot suck that much. There's got to be some other way. I'm not accepting this sh*t anymore."

Back to the Reddit post.

I was expecting to hear tales similar to mine. You know... Human beings who didn't like something, then reacted accordingly. Nope, none of that. All I saw was people trying to figure out how to suck it up and make it less painful. "Take a hot shower!" one said. "Maybe you need anti-depressants!" said the next one. "Sleep more!" and so on... Everyone was trying to numb the symptom, but no one was addressing the problem. If you wake up everyday wishing you were doing something else, well... has it occurred to you that maybe you should?

It fascinantes me that society's stigma of following the preordained path is so strong people can't see they have other options. I've personally been self employed for 3 years and about to start my first real business. It's not been easy to break free from "conventional wisdom" and face violent headwinds everyday, but it's been totally worth it. I don't expect going in business to be easy, but the potential reward massively outweighs the effort. Hell... even failing at business is more enjoyable than working most jobs, so why not take a shot at it?

It's sucks man it's so bad. I just can't live that way anymore it depresses me like nothing else.

Even if I don't become rich working on my terms and not having an alarm clock I would feel rich as hell.

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
Is it really jobs that are the cause of people's underlying misery, or rather perpetual dissatisfaction?

You know how when you're young you're full of hopes and dreams, then once you go through the meat grinder of people trying to condition you for the "real world" what's left is a shell of your former self?

I remember I had a friend I high school who would occasionally mention a car he liked and would ALWAYS make sure to say, "I'll never have that car though."

Lots of people are just dead inside, but their body is still moving.

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
231%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
Is it really jobs that are the cause of people's underlying misery, or rather perpetual dissatisfaction?

You know how when you're young you're full of hopes and dreams, then once you go through the meat grinder of people trying to condition you for the "real world" what's left is a shell of your former self?

I remember I had a friend I high school who would occasionally mention a car he liked and would ALWAYS make sure to say, "I'll never have that car though."

Lots of people are just dead inside, but their body is still moving.

If it wasn't that bad this forum wouldn't exist.

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
If it wasn't that bad this forum wouldn't exist.
I know but here's my point. Often times when people lose their job, they just become lazy, start drinking to much, and generally don't know what to do with themselves. Notice how destructive lottery winners usually are.

So I'm saying people are often dissatisfied long before they begin the rat-race, their job is just holding them together.

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
I know but here's my point. Often times when people lose their job, they just become lazy, start drinking to much, and generally don't know what to do with themselves. Notice how destructive lottery winners usually are.

So I'm saying people are often dissatisfied long before they begin the rat-race, their job is just holding them together.
Some find dissatisfaction during the rat-race.

Some find it before the rat-race.

At the end of the day, everyone's sad and it doesn't matter when they begin to lose themselves.

That being said, some jobs, in the right context, do change people for the better, when certain challenges on the job arise.

My chemistry teacher in high school was no industry professional. He just went to college and was pretty much the delinquent, save for his active participation in clubs and societies. He only got the teacher position when the principal saw that track record.

Before he stepped up to teach Chemistry, there was another more educated teacher from Petronas University. Very knowledgeable, but she couldn't dumb down concepts like ionic bonds and the Periodic table to simple terms, as well as causal relationships, to teach my class.

After she left, it was amazing to see my second Chemistry teacher run through the past chapters which we built weak basics of Chemistry on, and nail the fundamentals in the words that we could grasp. Being hands on in nature, he also painstakingly had us do countless lab sessions. I still remember the proud day when I could identify a copper chloride salt clearly, just based on its blue color, iwithout muddling through the apparatus.

Before that, he was actually a really hot-tempered fella that got triggered by small things. The challenges of resurrecting our Chemistry had him drop all that, in exchange for a better attitude.

Of all the things I never want to happen to my girl, would be this.

It frightens me to think that it may be no different than PTSD from a real war.

While I have said that jobs can bring the best out of people, it can go the other way round too. My chemistry teacher already had a 'track record', so all he needed was some adjustments in his behaviour and approaches. But for the vast majority, such as my girl, they haven't played the game long enough to master emotions and such.

Bhanu

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
182%
Oct 23, 2017
What a depressing and eye opening post .
My team mate was fired on 11 Jan 2019 . He has 4 kids and was having eye surgery (went to doctors twice already in last year,mind you we work in an IT firm that means staring at computer 8 hours a day 5 days week.My team mate even with his eyes surgery was coming to office and working hard.) . And just like that he was fired ...he was told he was the least useful among the team members. I felt bad and now I myself am worried my Job. This worry s**ks really .
Though I am working side by side on my business and want to break free asap but I have to keep this sh***y job till I am making enough to sustain my family (I ,my wife and a small kid) .
But really having job su**ks big time .No say,no freedom, you work like slave and then told to f**k off (given no regards to your health,family) .And our society feels having job is epitome of success.
Sorry for my language but I am livid, the way my team mate was let go .

Everyman

Get To The Choppa!
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Dec 31, 2015
Ireland
I don't understand people. I really don't.

Why do people want to live like this?

Why do we want to live like what? What do you not like the way some of us live like this?

Have you tried understanding us? Have you ever been in this situation or known someone who has?
Are you an alien (picking on calling people people instead of us)? ;)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.