The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The Marine Corps way to win at business

Anything related to matters of the mind

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
473%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
I learned a lot about life and about myself during my time in the Marine Corps. I wasn't a rough and tumble kid who needed to be remade in bootcamp, but it did make me more of what I was. It instilled confidence, assertiveness and flexibility in the way I attacked life. I want to share some of the Warrior Ethos that every Marine has driven into them, that I will not only make your a better businessman, but a better person.

Move, shoot, communicate
One of the first rules of gun fighting is Move, Shoot, Communicate. If you are not moving, you are shooting, if you are not shooting, you are communicating. If you do nothing, you are dead.

Now I'm not saying you need to treat the business world like you treat a hostile battlefield, but in your business, time is your most valuable asset.

Move- Do market research, set up a marketing plan, look for knew products, make connections, always be ready to pivot if the market tells you to. You should always be agile and moving, not always forward, but making your way to the next step.

Shoot- Everything you do in your company should be aimed at one goal, Sales. Selling and closing is the shooting in business. You should always be targeting the right people/market/leads and pulling the trigger. Pick up that phone and cold call, direct market to your warm leads, go door to door and sell your product.

Communicate- Communication can be just as valuable as sales in business. On the battlefield, commutation means pointing out targets or calling in support. In the real world, communication means collaborating with your partners/employees, interacting with your customers, establishing relationships, and networking.

What ever you do, don't sit and wait. If you're like me and waiting for your app to be developed, I clearly cant sell what doesn't exist, but I can move and communicate. Be setting up the next move, prep, and get ready to push on. But never stagnate.

Leaders eat last
There is a tradition in the Marine Corps that is fundamentally different than the traditions of our parent branch, the Navy. Leaders always eat last. It doesn't matter if its hot chow at the shop, pizza at the barracks, or rations in theater. You always make sure the people you serve (that's right, a leader serves those below him) are taken care of first. If there is not enough left over for you to eat, at least those you rely on to win the battle are fed and have energy. The Navy does the opposite. Enlisted mess, Chief's mess, officer's mess. Officers and senior enlisted are treated like elites, have waiters and better food. What message does this send to those below you?

If you rely on employees, contractors, or any other form of human work, for your business, they are the soul of your company. Happy employees equal happy customers. If your employees feel under appreciated they will not do as much as expected of them and that lack of quality work can impact your product, customers, and sales.

Take care of your employees first. They will take care of your customers, who in turn will take care of the business and then you.

Adapt and Overcome
This has become one of the unofficial mottos of the Marine Corps. If any obstacle is in your way, figure it out. If there is anything you take from this post, take Adapt and Overcome to heart.

You need to be flexible and think out of the box, but most importantly, you must stare down adversity, not matter what it may be, and find a way over it. Don't focus on following the rules. If you come to a wall with a locked door, the rules say find a way to unlock it. But if you need to get past this wall, go over it, through it, or around it. While you are solving a problem, make a decision. A good decision now, is better than a great decision later. Remember, time is your #1 resource.

I have more I will share later. Take these lessons, do with them what you will. But always be agile, conscientious, and cunning. S/F

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

JDx

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
May 11, 2016
Amsterdam
Excellent post, thank you for sharing this.

What made you join the Marine Corps? And what made you leave?
If this is too much off topic, I'll happily discuss this over PM.
(Currently training for marine corps "admission tests", hence my interest)

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
473%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
Excellent post, thank you for sharing this.

What made you join the Marine Corps? And what made you leave?
If this is too much off topic, I'll happily discuss this over PM.
(Currently training for marine corps "admission tests", hence my interest)

I'll shoot you a PM shortly

WildBill

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Jul 16, 2016
San Antonio, TX
Great translation my fellow Teufel Hunden!

I too feel as if the values and character instilled in me by the Corps are definitely useful tools in my business arsenal.

Discipline is what I have neglected since I got out and that is what landed me on the Sidewalk.

I have already made major steps towards my fastlane that I thought I would never take thanks to getting back to the discipline in the past couple months.

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
473%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
Something as simple as getting up at 0500 and going for a run, and holding yourself to that, can make a world of difference in your motivation and mindset. Rah.

WildBill

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Jul 16, 2016
San Antonio, TX
Something as simple as getting up at 0500 and going for a run, and holding yourself to that, can make a world of difference in your motivation and mindset. Rah.

This is EXACTLY how I started.

WildBill

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Jul 16, 2016
San Antonio, TX
When you all get finished patting each other on the back, please do tell what you have done so far...

Hello SteveO

I am relatively new to the forum as you can see. I was just about to make my introductory post in fact.

I have not done a whole lot other than change my mindset after reading The Millionaire Fastlane and lurking this forum.
The main things I have accomplished in this month or so is reintroducing discipline back into my lifestyle, have put a stop to my sidewalk ways and have stopped idea jumping every other day. I am working on a subscription based offline home services model at the moment.

I will have more to contribute to the forum here in the near future.

Thanks for calling me out. I needed to get out of my comfort zone here.

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
As a senior member of the Chiefs Mess I'm struggling with your portrayal of our brotherhood. The Chiefs Mess is vastly (or used to be) important for reasons I can't begin to describe to a non-member. Please lighten up about something that you have no knowledge of.

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
473%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
When you all get finished patting each other on the back, please do tell what you have done so far...

In slowlane, I've reached the top of my career. I am on track to finish the year in the top 10 of sales reps at a large Pharmaceutical company. Working a dynamic territory is not so dissimilar to running a business.

As for my business, it's starting off. But I have already applied many of these principles. I do not have sales yet, as our website is still in developement. However, these principles are very applicable to every day life.

As a senior member of the Chiefs Mess I'm struggling with your portrayal of our brotherhood. The Chiefs Mess is vastly (or used to be) important for reasons I can't begin to describe to a non-member. Please lighten up about something that you have no knowledge of.

I do not mean to insult the Chief's Mess, just point out the difference between the branches. In the Marine Corps, E-3's are put in charge of sections and lead them in combat, where as in the Navy, from all my observations working with them, you don't rate unless you have an anchor on your uniform. Keep in mind, my perception of the Navy stems mostly from interactions aboard MEU vessels.

My childhood friend, who I consider to be the big brother I never had recently was promoted to Chief. I am extremely proud of him for his accomplishment. I know there are many traditions that go along with it. But like I said, the Corps and the Navy are two seperate beasts entirely. We are used and abused, we tend to be resentful of higher ranks haha

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.