The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The last thing holding me back

Topics relating to managing people and relationships

Brian Suh

Silver Contributor
X MODERATED X
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
May 19, 2018
So here I am at 22 years old and honestly excited as hell for my life. I feel however, this change in my demeanor, attitude, actions, and goals will be too much to handle for my past friends and family. I feel that they will drag me back down to the drudgery of what they call "life". I know my potential is HUGE but I have had times where I shined too much and others attempted to drag me down. I am going to surround myself with gogetters and winners but I have a fear in the future where I will meet these people again and I will go back to my old life. How do you guys deal with this and did you guys have a similar fear? (I realize this fear is kind of irrational as it is in the future and might not even happen but it is still there and something that I feel is holding me back from my true potential. I also do think my brain is doing this to myself so it doesn't want to change. Stupid brain :/)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Rabby

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Aug 26, 2018
Florida
Brian, I think you'll get to a point where you influence those people more than they influence you. You're building strength - financial strength, character strength, moral, morale, ethics, etc. This will make you successful and people will either want to emulate you, or hide from the bright light, so to speak.

I would say don't worry about falling. Your mind will invent fears to keep you in comfortable, safe mediocrity. At least until you train it to accept your growth trajectory. Train it by testing yourself on things you haven't yet mastered (bonus if they're wealth related). Worst case if you fall, you get back up and keep going.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I am going to surround myself with gogetters and winners but I have a fear in the future where I will meet these people again and I will go back to my old life. How do you guys deal with this and did you guys have a similar fear?

(I realize this fear is kind of irrational as it is in the future and might not even happen but it is still there and something that I feel is holding me back from my true potential.

Yes it is irrational. Who cares what they think. Your life is yours, and yours alone. You control who is in your life and who isn't. If you don't have the balls to direct your life and who is in it, you probably don't have the balls to be an entrepreneur. Sorry, don't mean to be so terse, but thinking about this is akin to the old "I'm gonna start a business -- what color should my Ferrari be?"

If you can't surround yourself with go-getters, keep visiting the forum, read books, biographies, and turn the damn TV off. For myself, books were my "go getters" because in college, I was surrounded by Scripted slowlaners looking for the "safe secure job."

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
The title is, 'The last thing holding me back'. I doubt it, you will always find something to hold you back if you don't just go for it. The only thing that is holding you back from starting something before Monday morning is YOU!

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
So here I am at 22 years old and honestly excited as hell for my life. I feel however, this change in my demeanor, attitude, actions, and goals will be too much to handle for my past friends and family. I feel that they will drag me back down to the drudgery of what they call "life". I know my potential is HUGE but I have had times where I shined too much and others attempted to drag me down. I am going to surround myself with gogetters and winners but I have a fear in the future where I will meet these people again and I will go back to my old life. How do you guys deal with this and did you guys have a similar fear? (I realize this fear is kind of irrational as it is in the future and might not even happen but it is still there and something that I feel is holding me back from my true potential. I also do think my brain is doing this to myself so it doesn't want to change. Stupid brain :/)
Just in my experience the last eight years, I just listened to motivational video's, books, blogs, vlogs, webinars, courses, and focused on success. I joined this forum, and you just combat it with focusing on your goals instead of allowing your focus to be distracted by other people's opinions. Surrounding yourself with positive people, makes a difference. This takes time to learn, but once you get in the habit, you know to separate yourself from certain people, because they're emotionally draining.

Brian Suh

Silver Contributor
X MODERATED X
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
May 19, 2018
Yes it is irrational. Who cares what they think. Your life is yours, and yours alone. You control who is in your life and who isn't. If you don't have the balls to direct your life and who is in it, you probably don't have the balls to be an entrepreneur. Sorry, don't mean to be so terse, but thinking about this is akin to the old "I'm gonna start a business -- what color should my Ferrari be?"

If you can't surround yourself with go-getters, keep visiting the forum, read books, biographies, and turn the damn TV off. For myself, books were my "go getters" because in college, I was surrounded by Scripted slowlaners looking for the "safe secure job."
Youre completly right on the balls part of if tou dont have the balls to cut people out yoh dont have balls to be an entrpreneur. I say the same thing to people trying to get in shape when they say but i love my mcdonalds too much. Thanks for the clarification

Brian Suh

Silver Contributor
X MODERATED X
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
May 19, 2018
Im pulling the trigger. No regrets. The grestest risk you can make in life is not to risk it all.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.