The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The Journey Begins...

ChrisR

Diamond Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Nov 11, 2017
Republic of Kekistan
Hey guys,

I figured it was probably time to introduce myself to this great community.

My name is Chris, I'm 34 and currently living in Vancouver WA (just outside of Portland OR).

I was born and raised in southern CA. I dropped out of high school because I hated it, lived with my mom and worked shit jobs the entire time I lived there. I was a total F*ck up as far as I was concerned.

CA was totally fine when I was a kid but once I became an adult and started to work, I was hating every minute of it. It seemed as though everything was a struggle, I was absolutely miserable.

One day I realized that I needed to do something to better my life and get my shit together.

In late 2012, my girlfriend at the time (now wife) and I decided to pack up our shit and leave, just like that. We drove both of our vehicles up to Camas WA (a small town east of Vancouver) and lived in a hotel for two weeks. We didn't know a soul, I was terrified (she was totally calm about everything).

A little less than two weeks later we got our keys to our first place. It was a little duplex that was supposedly a service station back in the thirties. As soon as we got those keys, we flew back to Anaheim and did the U-Haul thing.

Almost immediately, we both found jobs and started saving up for our first house.

We closed on our first home the day our lease was up in Camas. The timing couldn't have worked out any better.

Five months later, I was one of ten hired (over a thousand people at the hiring event) for a conductor position at a local railroad. I wanted a “good job” my entire life and it felt like my prayers had finally been answered.

A few months after I landed my job, I married my beautiful wife Stephanie. Without her, NONE of this would have been possible. She was the strong one the entire time and she made everything seem easy.

Generally speaking, we both felt great everyday. We accomplished more in a year and a half than we ever did back in CA. In that short time frame, we were home owners, we both had kick a$$ jobs and we got married. It felt like anything was possible.

Well, life slowed down a bit. We added to the family (dogs) and continued working and fixing up the house. Everything was fine and dandy until the winter of 2016...

So at this point I had been at the RR for a little less than three years. My seniority only allowed me to hold the shittiest yard job in the entire terminal. It was a dark dingy and quiet yard in Portland.

Working at the RR in general is a pain in the a$$. Everything about it was already wearing on me and I had only done three of my thirty year sentence.

That winter though... I was already fed up working nights in a dark and dingy yard. I'd walk miles a night on ballast in super cold weather while getting pissed on all night by the constant rain.

I was used to that to some extent but that winter it snowed quite a bit which I wasn't used too.

Between everything at the RR constantly being broken or out out of service, working at night when my wife was sleeping by her self, being in constant pain due to walking on ballast all night, freezing my dick off, getting pissed on all night and now slipping on snow and tripping on snow covered tracks, I was OVER IT.

You see, everyone there was just as miserable but they HAD to do it because they made them selves RR poor and had big families. Unlike them, I still lived like I did when I was making $11 and hour and we had no kids. I knew it would be stupid if I “made” myself stay there my whole life just because the money was great.

It was easily the best job I'd probably ever have but ultimately I was miserable and I was tired of making someone else rich.

I started spending every chance I had researching something else. I found a couple of YouTube videos about Amazon and that kinda kicked this whole thing off.

I really don't want to go too far into my whole Amazon experience but needless to say, it didn't work out great. With that being said, I don't regret doing it for a second. Steph and I learned SOOOOO much and ultimately it really opened up our eyes.

So fast forward to August of 2017. We're still trying to sell what products we have left from Amazon and one day I decide to type “entrepreneur forum” into google.

That was really the day my life changed. I found this great forum and found out that the forum owner had published two books. I purchased the first one and started reading.

The Millionaire Fastlane blew my mind. Part of me wished that I ran into it before I started the whole Amazon thing but at the same time, I learned so much from first hand experiences that I still don't regret doing it. More than anything, it proved that when I decided to do something, I actually did it. I didn't F*ck around.

After reading TMF , I read Unscripted . That book was also amazing but it didn't hit me like TMF did. It was definitely more relevant to what I was still doing (Amazon) but TMF was like nothing I had ever read before, if that makes any sense.

So since reading TMF and Unscripted , I've read a number of other books in the pursuit to better educate myself. Whether books outright say it or dance around it, it's become very clear to me the importance of copy writing, marketing and selling.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't stuck in some kind of paralysis after reading so many books the last few months. I'm just so overwhelmed now and don't know which direction I want to move forward with.

In the mean time though, I've been working on myself as a person. I now realize that if you want to be successful, you need to live a successful life.

I've been reading every single day, eating healthier, working out, losing weight (was 240 lbs, now 215, goal is 175) and trying to change the way I view everything.

Near future plans consist of:
  • Quit my job and find a sales job to help me communicate with people and learn how to sell.
  • Get my sleeping schedule straight (very difficult after working graveyard for years)
  • Whitening my teeth (I may even get braces but I'm still not sure yet)
  • Learning how to dress for success.
  • Learn how to write (I'm awful at it)
  • Learn marketing
  • Find a mentor
  • Figure out how to add value to peoples lives.
Well guys, I think that's all I have for now. I decided to make this thread because I wanted to become a part of this unbelievable community but also to hold myself accountable.

I will do WHATEVER it takes to become successful.

I WILL BE SUSSCESSFUL!

-Chris

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

LeoK

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Jan 7, 2018
Perth Australia
Welcome @ChrisR,
have you heard of the concept of ikigai? It is a Japanese concept around the reason for being. I have attached an image. If you start answering questions like
- what do I enjoy doing?
- what am I good at?
- what does the world need?
- what can I get paid to do?
Somewhere where all these intersect is your ikigai. May or may not make you a millionaire, but will certainly make your life a little more fulfilling.

Attachments

• ikigai.jpg
    ikigai.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 5

Gary

Elevatin' the Celebratin'
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
313%
Mar 18, 2011
San Diego
@ChrisR , welcome! Having a strong partner in your wife is key. The fog will lift and you will find a direction; you already sound successful. Keep us posted on your decisions and the forks in the road.

ChrisR

Diamond Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Nov 11, 2017
Republic of Kekistan
Welcome @ChrisR,
have you heard of the concept of ikigai? It is a Japanese concept around the reason for being. I have attached an image. If you start answering questions like
- what do I enjoy doing?
- what am I good at?
- what does the world need?
- what can I get paid to do?
Somewhere where all these intersect is your ikigai. May or may not make you a millionaire, but will certainly make your life a little more fulfilling.

Thanks Leo!

I'll definitely look into that.

-Chris

ChrisR

Diamond Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Nov 11, 2017
Republic of Kekistan
@ChrisR , welcome! Having a strong partner in your wife is key. The fog will lift and you will find a direction; you already sound successful. Keep us posted on your decisions and the forks in the road.

Thanks Gary.

I totally agree. I still need to work on her a bit. She's read TMF and her eyes are definitely open now but she's just too comfortable with her job.

I appreciate the kind words. I'll definitely keep everyone posted on future endeavors.

-Chris

Private Witt

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
221%
Feb 20, 2018
Oklahoma
Good to see another Washington person here!

Ive never been to Vancouver but think I may in a few months as taking a Tour de Washington for my cannabis related business.

See around the forum!

ChrisR

Diamond Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Nov 11, 2017
Republic of Kekistan
Good to see another Washington person here!

Ive never been to Vancouver but think I may in a few months as taking a Tour de Washington for my cannabis related business.

See around the forum!

Haha, same here!

Not to much to check out around these parts but I love it here. If you ever want to meet up when you're down this way let me know.

-Chris

Private Witt

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
221%
Feb 20, 2018
Oklahoma
Haha, same here!

Not to much to check out around these parts but I love it here. If you ever want to meet up when you're down this way let me know.

-Chris

If you got weed stores, which u do, I got places to check out :).

I think I read somewhere that Vancouver is the #1 hipster city in country. Hard to believe more than Seattle, but nothing surprises me these days.

Here it is:

Vancouver tops ‘most hipster’ cities list

Ill hit u up when I get my trip going on.

Lord Business

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Feb 24, 2018
finland
Welcome! Good for you!
I'm not trying to tell you what to do, but for considering:
1. You say that your life has changes, but still you are "looking for the next good job" - is it really something you aspire to? I'd say that if you just want to learn selling, there is no better way than to do it in your own company. Secondly, you could get a second job part time selling something - you'd have the salary but could also learn.
2. Why not keep learning, stay in your current job and start saving money hardcore and quit when you have good nest egg.

Either way, good luck!

ChrisR

Diamond Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Nov 11, 2017
Republic of Kekistan
If you got weed stores, which u do, I got places to check out :).

I think I read somewhere that Vancouver is the #1 hipster city in country. Hard to believe more than Seattle, but nothing surprises me these days.

Here it is:

Vancouver tops ‘most hipster’ cities list

Ill hit u up when I get my trip going on.

Haha, yeah we definitely have those around here.

That's super weird about the hipster thing. It's generally a lot of blue collar people around here. Although, there are a lot more people moving here from Portland because it's getting more and more expensive to live there.

-Chris

ChrisR

Diamond Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Nov 11, 2017
Republic of Kekistan
Welcome! Good for you!
I'm not trying to tell you what to do, but for considering:
1. You say that your life has changes, but still you are "looking for the next good job" - is it really something you aspire to? I'd say that if you just want to learn selling, there is no better way than to do it in your own company. Secondly, you could get a second job part time selling something - you'd have the salary but could also learn.
2. Why not keep learning, stay in your current job and start saving money hardcore and quit when you have good nest egg.

Either way, good luck!

Thanks Lord!

I see what you mean. The reason I'd like to change jobs is because I really can't stand another single day of my current one. I definitely don't want to be a "salesman" forever but figured it would be a good way to learn a thing or two.

Also, I definitely wouldn't be able to do part time sales with my current job. Right now my seniority allows me to hold a job with a schedule but I could get kicked off of it any day and be back on call with no schedule to speak of.

Trust me, I'd really like to go into business for myself but I just don't know what route to go just yet.

-Chris

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.