The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

the jack call

KLaw

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
Aug 4, 2012
ohio
My thoughts.... JFDI. Without trying to be rude :)
Idk. I remember when I had my painting biz. Nothing pissed me off more then being on the phone with a
My thoughts.... JFDI. Without trying to be rude :)
It's not really about being rude. When I was running my painting biz, I'd get lead generation calls daily. It was just a drain on my time. And it pissed me off. Yellow pages, yodle, bing, homeblue, localpainterquotes, etc.. They would all hound me daily. Not cool. I don't have time for that shit. For the most part they were cool but I didnt solicit them so dont waste my time. I didnt ask you about your services cuz I dont want your services. Know what I mean?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Sydants

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jan 28, 2014
Melbourne
No I don't know what you mean, well I do, but I don't totally agree with it.

When I was referring to JFDI. I meant you. Just call them. If you are going to provide value, whether it be in 1 month down the track, then you are providing them with value, something they will resonate with and WANT your call.

If you really want to do this, then call them. Otherwise the 9-5 is calling you and it doesn't care if you want to take the call or not.

Bigguns50

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Feb 12, 2013
Sedona, AZ
@KLaw.... I agree and disagree. I feel ya because I don't want to be bothered with BS calls while working either...on the other hand...this is marketing. The guy I work for has a decent value proposition, although he's not doing anything different than his competition yet. So...the goal is to get my proposition across in a clear, concise manner and not piss off the person on the other end of the phone. AND of course they get pissed as soon as they know I'm not looking for a painting job because they've already gotten hundreds of similar calls.

I do feel though that it is so 1980ish because now we have many more avenues to advertise. Remember that "do not call" list that we can sign up on ? It came from pissed off people getting too many solicitation calls.

But, I'll bet if you ask the successful guys here that use telemarketers if it works..they will say a definite "YES".

jpa0827

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Feb 13, 2013
Cleveland, Ohio
Nope. No cold calls yet. Right or wrong, I feel that is so 1980's. I think it is rude and does take away from their biz time. Be respectful and find another way to dig deep and find their pains. Your thoughts? Thanks.

Are you sure this isn't a convenient excuse for yourself so that you don't have to face a fear of cold calling? I know you mentioned you are not afraid, but want to be genuine. I personally think it is fear. Fear of not being genuine :). We all have faced it.

My advice for what it is worth...change your mindset. You are calling these people to help them or should be). Eventually (it is a numbers game) someone will want you to help them. In most cases you will have to sell them on the idea that you can help. Jack said if you were to call 100 people and offer them a $50 bill, most will hang up on you. Consider this a barrier to entry :)

IAmTheJeff

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
Mar 5, 2014
Philadelphia, Pa
2.5 hours til "the call" for me! I'm not nervous, but I'm excited! I hope to learn a lot about a lot of things, but if I learn nothing, at least I helped a kid and his family in need. Hoping I can do this sort of thing more often, and maybe throw a couple zeroes on the end, too!

SeanKelly

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Aug 8, 2012
2.5 hours til "the call" for me! I'm not nervous, but I'm excited! I hope to learn a lot about a lot of things, but if I learn nothing, at least I helped a kid and his family in need. Hoping I can do this sort of thing more often, and maybe throw a couple zeroes on the end, too!

Great way to look at it! I'm sure you will end the call just as excited as everyone else so far. Jack seems to be able to guide everyone in the right direction one way or another

jpa0827

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Feb 13, 2013
Cleveland, Ohio

Make sure you have a couple things listed that you really would like to take away from the call.

IAmTheJeff

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
Mar 5, 2014
Philadelphia, Pa
Great way to look at it! I'm sure you will end the call just as excited as everyone else so far. Jack seems to be able to guide everyone in the right direction one way or another
I'm sure that whatever I can be taught will be learned! But I'm no where near ready to launch anything, hell, I'm still in the process of validating my model! This REALLY IS all about the kid! When I saw that post go up, I wanted to help so I did. That's really the deal here guys! I see this as Jack giving a free gift for a donation, it's just way better than a t-shirt!

IAmTheJeff

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
Mar 5, 2014
Philadelphia, Pa
For real though, I have a lot of homework to do.

And dammit, I'm skipping the cable bill. I need to be on the inside. Yesterday.

JEdwards

Legendary Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Jan 16, 2011
Texas

I hope you learned a lot about a lot of things. :)

IAmTheJeff

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
Mar 5, 2014
Philadelphia, Pa
Well, bring it on! What did you learn?
The most important thing I learned was that without question, where there's pain, there's big money that can be made.

All that stuff about Lambo clubs and stuff being your next investor, that totally makes sense to me.

And there is a ton of money to be had, and there are people that want to give it to you. They just don't know that you want it.

I also learned that hair salons are broke, and that's a bad place to look for money.

KLaw

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
Aug 4, 2012
ohio
Are you sure this isn't a convenient excuse for yourself so that you don't have to face a fear of cold calling? I know you mentioned you are not afraid, but want to be genuine. I personally think it is fear. Fear of not being genuine :). We all have faced it.

My advice for what it is worth...change your mindset. You are calling these people to help them or should be). Eventually (it is a numbers game) someone will want you to help them. In most cases you will have to sell them on the idea that you can help. Jack said if you were to call 100 people and offer them a $50 bill, most will hang up on you. Consider this a barrier to entry :)
@jpa0827 I appreciate your input and I am sure fear plays certain factor into my opinion. However, Im talking about cold calls to extract information, pain points. Im not really providing value to them at this point, just asking them to mentally trust a stranger calling them prodding for information. This kinda bleeds into @Mike TG thread a little bit. Id like to get his thoughts on this as well.

IAmTheJeff

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
Mar 5, 2014
Philadelphia, Pa
Well, you are calling me out, but I'll embrace it. I'm being general because, to be honest, a large majority of the call was general discussion about how instead of being very broad and targeting and killing myself trying to squeeze what tiny bit of blood out of an already bloodied stone, my efforts should be pointed toward specific industries, and niches within those industries. I have some calls to make tomorrow to validate a small, basically untapped niche that will put service based businesses closer to their customer's reach, which may turn lucrative quickly even if I don't scale it immediately. After I validate, on the business and consumer side, I'll be a little more specific.

KLaw

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
Aug 4, 2012
ohio
LOL! You are right. Anytime anyone states "im not calling you out but" they are calling you out. Appreciate the reply. Any questions you wanted to ask but didn't? What were the top 3 questions you did ask?

KLaw

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
Aug 4, 2012
ohio
Did y'all talk about finding mentors? I think this is what I want to focus on. I've always confused mentors with life coaches.

IAmTheJeff

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
Mar 5, 2014
Philadelphia, Pa
Did y'all talk about finding mentors? I think this is what I want to focus on. I've always confused mentors with life coaches.
I've always confused them too. We didn't talk about mentors at all, it was mostly business. I think finding a mentor comes later, to help you grow, not to help you create.

KLaw

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
Aug 4, 2012
ohio
I've always confused them too. We didn't talk about mentors at all, it was mostly business. I think finding a mentor comes later, to help you grow, not to help you create.
Disagree. I think a mentor can really help us set up the framework and the proper mindset to build a real foundation. JMO,

IAmTheJeff

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
Mar 5, 2014
Philadelphia, Pa
I don't know. I really still don't have a real, concrete understanding of what a mentor's function is. If it's to challenge the mentee, well hell, I can do that! I have a feeling that it's much more than that, and IMO that's a large undertaking to ask someone to assume. Maybe I just won't understand until it's truly my time to start looking for a fitting mentor. I'm going to research their function, completely understand it, and probably change how I feel about it haha

KLaw

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
Aug 4, 2012
ohio
Yea. That's kinda what Im struggling with. Im not looking for a hand holder or even a step by step provider. Just want to talk and understand how to break rocks and move mountains.

scott.legendre

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
235%
Aug 5, 2013
Nope. No cold calls yet. Right or wrong, I feel that is so 1980's. I think it is rude and does take away from their biz time. Be respectful and find another way to dig deep and find their pains. Your thoughts? Thanks.

I think this has to do with how the calls are being handled. I know i would hang up on someone who sounds like he's trying to sell me something (which I get a lot of). BUT if someone contacts me to do some research (like a college student doing interviews) and does it in a way that would potentially help me in the future, then I will be much more receptive to discussions. I like talking about myself and what I'm doing.

IceCreamKid

With Great Power Comes Great Electricity Bill
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
2,185%
Jun 8, 2010
California
Agreed. Here's the thing...most people approach a mentor saying. "Teach me. I am committed and I will do whatever it takes. I am a hard worker".

The reality is this: most people do not trust themselves enough to take the leap. They don't believe in themselves. This leads them to half assing the work. Half assing the work leads to failure.

If one wishes to get a mentor, he must first be able to prove that he is different from the 99 guys who came before him. Words are not enough.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.