The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The Idea of location-based social media apps

Idea threads

01Ascension

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
87%
Aug 14, 2018
I've been thinking about an app idea which is like a Social media with its algo based around your location.
While researching I discovered Nextdoor/Snap maps. But I don't really think they have gained the market traction to the likes of Meta/Tiktok.
And this idea has been attempted multiple times in the past with the idea being put to dump at some point.

I envision it as something gamified to encourage actions supporting locality, answering questions and concerns within local regions, find friends nearby, being able to sell products/services and more.. Heck! the opportunities look endless to an extent that this could be the next super app.

Would love to hear your ideas and opinions on this in today's age. Is it a viable idea?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Chinx

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Feb 18, 2024
I really like the idea.. and I can imagine the potential it holds.

I don't know much about it, but you said it had been done before..
So maybe if we study why exactly did it not work out in the past, we can get better insights?

Boy Muhammad

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Aug 10, 2022
Kebbi, Nigeria
It'll be cool to be able to connect with people in the same location, it'll make meetups and meeting new people easy and fun.

Telegram has something like that and I've used it a couple of times I was in a new area.

01Ascension

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
87%
Aug 14, 2018
I really like the idea.. and I can imagine the potential it holds.

I don't know much about it, but you said it had been done before..
So maybe if we study why exactly did it not work out in the past, we can get better insights?

Definitely holds potential. Some of the legacy companies are re-attempting it now as well.

I'd love to hear people's opinions and potential roadblocks.

Kung Fu Steve

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Jul 8, 2008
Road Warrior
How would this be better and more convenient than local Facebook groups?

^

IG's local hashtags do an extremely good job at showing me restaurants, cool bars, things to do in Arizona as well.

01Ascension

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
87%
Aug 14, 2018
How would this be better and more convenient than local Facebook groups?
I find all that info in local Facebook groups. How is your app gonna be different?
- More organized VS not organized
- Actions will be process oriented VS Mere just postings
- Better local discovery algorithm VS find only if someone posted
- Opportunity to develop more community oriented features VS only sticking to what Facebook group offers

These are somethings I can think of.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
442%
May 27, 2013
United States
Would love to hear your ideas and opinions on this in today's age. Is it a viable idea?

Sure, it’s a viable idea.

That is almost impossible to execute.

It will be an absolute behemoth of an undertaking.

And due to market effects you either become a billion dollar company, or you have zero, and there isn’t really anything in between.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.