The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The idea for the website. What's next ?

Idea threads

Rafał Lizak

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Dec 20, 2017
Poland
Hi. As in the subject .. I have an idea for the website (not a small one), I just do not know what to do next. I can not program, I do not know it, but it's all over my head. My site will be in the style of a website such as trivago.com, that is, a collection of all offers from other websites, some of the largest from each country and the introduction of these offers to my site. These are not sales offers but rather something like information offers. If someone has experience on this topic and wants to get more in the know about this topic, I invite you to the discussion. It would be good if I could find a partner :)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Fastlane Liam

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
Feb 10, 2018
United Kingdom
Hey man sure how about I do it for FREE?
Since the idea took so much brainpower for you to come up with I think a 90% 10% in your favour should be fair?

fvcorp

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
308%
Nov 28, 2017
Canada
Most likely, no one will partner with you. It's not a personal thing, it's just that the idea is about 1% of the success of a project and the execution is the rest.

This is coming from someone who is a software developer by trade and was instrumental in building a SaaS company with a $10M valuation and is now doing it a second time. But also someone who lacked control in the first company and only walked away with six-figures in equity.

If you want to maintain control you will have to learn to program or you will have to pay someone a competitive wage.

To learn, please visit:
  • Code Academy
  • Udemy
  • Coursera

To pay someone:
  • To start, reach out to Indian development companies on LinkedIn. I outsource for some prototypes that have a low ROI. The quality of work is fine if you have knowledge of the languages being used and can manage the pull requests. If not, I recommend paying a friend a few bucks to review the code. I have a few that I have worked with that I would strongly recommend, DM me if interested and I will hook you up commission free and bullshit free.
  • There are some good firms in Eastern Europe and South America also. They are safer but more costly.
  • I don't recommend outsourcing in the long term. It only makes sense when you're in what I call the "prove out" phase.

What is your idea worth to you? In the next week decide to:
  1. Learn to code. You're a smart guy and it shouldn't take you more than 3-6 months to learn to hack your site together.
  2. Pay to have a prototype developed. By outsourcing, you can have a bare bones prototype of your idea put together for $10,000. This is about 1/10th what it will take to build your entire platform, so make sure they focus on MVP (minimum viable product) features only. I can't emphasize this enough.
  3. Give away your idea or lock it in the vault. If you aren't willing to learn or to pay at least $10,000, then you aren't the right person for this idea.

Fastlane Liam

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
Feb 10, 2018
United Kingdom
Most likely, no one will partner with you. It's not a personal thing, it's just that the idea is about 1% of the success of a project and the execution is the rest.

This is coming from someone who is a software developer by trade and was instrumental in building a SaaS company with a $10M valuation and is now doing it a second time. But also someone who lacked control in the first company and only walked away with six-figures in equity.

If you want to maintain control you will have to learn to program or you will have to pay someone a competitive wage.

To learn, please visit:
  • Code Academy
  • Udemy
  • Coursera

To pay someone:
  • To start, reach out to Indian development companies on LinkedIn. I outsource for some prototypes that have a low ROI. The quality of work is fine if you have knowledge of the languages being used and can manage the pull requests. If not, I recommend paying a friend a few bucks to review the code. I have a few that I have worked with that I would strongly recommend, DM me if interested and I will hook you up commission free and bullshit free.
  • There are some good firms in Eastern Europe and South America also. They are safer but more costly.
  • I don't recommend outsourcing in the long term. It only makes sense when you're in what I call the "prove out" phase.

1. Learn to code. You're a smart guy and it shouldn't take you more than 3-6 months to learn to hack your site together.
  2. Pay to have a prototype developed. By outsourcing, you can have a bare bones prototype of your idea put together for $10,000. This is about 1/10th what it will take to build your entire platform, so make sure they focus on MVP (minimum viable product) features only. I can't emphasize this enough.
  3. Give away your idea or lock it in the vault. If you aren't willing to learn or to pay at least $10,000, then you aren't the right person for this idea.
Awesome,

For outsourcing do you prefer companies on Linkedin or Upwork?

fvcorp

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
308%
Nov 28, 2017
Canada
Awesome,

For outsourcing do you prefer companies on Linkedin or Upwork?

Personally, LinkedIn. I like to develop a personal relationship with the owner of the outsourcing company.

Employee turnover is high in software, but if the owner is knowledgeable and believes in providing value, then your relationship will last through many employment cycles.

Best Napat

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Apr 26, 2018
Thailand

To learn, please visit:
  • Code Academy
  • Udemy
  • Coursera

To pay someone:

Hey! fvcorp Thanks a lot i found this useful.

Late Bloomer

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Apr 17, 2018
Hi Rafat, I think fvcorp's response is perfect.

Have you read MJ's Fastlane book? If not, I recommend you look here for discussion of his CENTS principles, in particular, control. Suppose you do set up your web site. What is to keep someone else from doing exactly the same thing, and undercutting you? Unless you have some business arrangement that is exclusive, anyone else could scrape exactly the same source sites you do, and provide exactly the same forwarded offers. What makes it possible for you to totally keep control of this business?

I recommend you do some small, simple web project to get an idea what it's like. Maybe just offer to make a free basic web site for your doctor or church or whatever, letting them know it's for practice and portfolio for you. That will let you find out if you love working with code, or paying someone to work with code according to your directions. If it's fun and interesting, if you really take to it, then keep on going. If it turns out you hate HTML, you can escape and try something else!

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015

To learn, please visit:
  • Code Academy
  • Udemy
  • Coursera

To pay someone:

I'm going over to your profile now @fvcorp, please tell me you have some threads about you building your SaaS. I am building something very similar at the mo and would love to get some advice on what to do once I have coded the original project, re getting partners, a team, etc.

fvcorp

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
308%
Nov 28, 2017
Canada
I'm going over to your profile now @fvcorp, please tell me you have some threads about you building your SaaS. I am building something very similar at the mo and would love to get some advice on what to do once I have coded the original project, re getting partners, a team, etc.

Hi @Roli - I don't have a thread but you can DM me if you want to chat. I'd be happy to help.

Late Bloomer

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Apr 17, 2018
once I have coded the original project, re getting partners, a team, etc.

Other people who've done it can give you better advice, but this sure feels backwards to me. It looks like idea is, first you'll put an enormous amount of time, effort, and money into building something because you're sure people will love to pay for it. After that's done, you'll try to find a business team and convince people to buy. I really wonder if you'd be better off to find a market, build a team, do a MVP (if you aren't familiar with the term, look up Lean Startup), get some cash flow from sales, and only THEN do lots and lots of Big Coding.

I've had a couple of corporate jobs where I was on the team that made the coolest stuff, and management assumed that since it was obviously so cool, of course there would be a way to sell it... somehow. Then there wasn't, and I was out of a job!

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.