The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The Hardest I’ve Ever Failed

Anything related to matters of the mind

BizBrain

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
229%
Apr 1, 2023
It’s been a minute since I’ve posted. I introduced myself a few months back after losing my job and wanting to start my own journey.

Well, unfortunately for me, life has a real sick sense of humor sometimes…

My mother ended up unexpectedly passing away shortly after I made that introductory post, and it really sent me into a deep depression. Like, big time…

I was a mess for months, and spent the last of what I had in savings for end of life services.

That left me:
Jobless
Mother-less (no real contact with the rest of my family)
Flat broke (literally like $150 in my checking account living off food stamps)
And depressed.

I lost sight of everything.

I knew financially I was screwed, and threw everything “hustle” related out the window as I started applying for job after job after job in a drudging haze where I felt empty and scared. Panicking because I knew I needed income, like, yesterday. Depressed because I felt so alone with no one to talk to. The weight of my burdens literally felt like I was being crushed each day. I started experiencing sever anxiety attacks where suddenly intrusive thoughts would bombard my head, my heart would start palpitating, I’d would start sweating and feeling panicked.

360 job applications and 4 months later, I managed to snag two pre-screening interviews, only one of which ended up being an offer. I accepted (desperately) an offer as an outside sales rep selling roofs and doing roof inspections, only to find out the owner lied to me and it’s not a salary + commission sales position like he said it was, but instead a 1099 commission only sales job where I am given no leads and have to fend for myself.

I was pissed, but I sucked it up (no time to cry about shit anymore) and have been balls to the wall knocking doors, hanging door hangers, passing out flyers, and advertising wherever I can that’s free (Reddit, Twitter, Facebook communities, etc). I can’t afford paid ads and I can barely afford gas to drive around neighborhoods. Local Facebook groups keep removing my posts and/or people keep flagging them as “inappropriate” or “spam” (probably competitors).

So far I’ve gotten exactly zero appointments booked. With no rain storms this year, plus the economy where it is, no one is wanting to spend $12k-$15k out of pocket to replace their roof.

While doing this, I’m also applying for other jobs (up to 58 applications this month so far and 40 have declined me), AND offering to clean peoples windows.

While out doing door to door, if I see a home that looks like a decent shot, I offer my window cleaning services. So far, it’s been 3 “maybe in a month” or “I’ll think about it” out of 100+ doors knocked and window cleaning offered as a service. I’ve been into a handful of businesses as well, but they have all been no’s (me not being insured is a problem). The real money is in residential anyways. It’s a race to the bottom with a lot of these store fronts. $20 per job is better than nothing, but I’m looking for leverage here since time is my enemy.

I’m seeing that here in AZ, most homes have sun shades over the exterior windows and no one cares about their windows being clean bc you can’t even see them from the outside. Looking from the inside, you can’t tell if the windows are filthy, because, well, the sun shade distorts the view.

So what now?

Well, I have about a week before rent is due.

My wife can’t stop crying. She’s been right by my side through this all, bless her soul.

I wake up every morning and look my 3 children in the eye and know there’s no choice but to fight.

It’s a race to see how fast I can add value to someone else’s life and get them to transfer me money!

There was no real point to this thread other than to get some thoughts out and vent a little. I don’t have any friends who really care to listen, so having a cool community online is the next best thing I guess

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
462%
Mar 15, 2018
My heart goes out to you. What a stressful part of your life!

Thanks for sharing here. And know that we are all here for you. Even if we may not yet know how to help, I’m sure I speak for everyone that we’d love to help.

I’ll end with this: this too shall pass. You are fighting, that’s the right thing to do.

Edit:

there has to be someone in your network who can both loan you a few grand and help you get a paying job. Who’s that person? Who do you know? Who can help you before you help them?

Last edited:

Plushy

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Jun 19, 2023
USA
It's gotta be a real uphill battle when you are in a situation of desperation. I feel so bad for your wife. I can't imagine the amount of pressure you feel with so many dependents. Are you educated in anything in particular? What can you do that nobody else can, that you can do better than everyone else in AZ?

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
635%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EubqpuVY3cw

1. go knock on doors all day like 200 a day.
2. watch this guy on how to sell
3. don't take no for an answer unless they've declined like 4 times.
4. ignore no soliciting signs.
5. expect to make $500 a day. Demand it from yourself.
6. Put in the numbers. Put in the work. Be a pro.
7. constant iteration and adjustments. Keep your eyes, ears and mind open to how to be better.

Everything is logical. There's a reason you're failing. There's a change to make. You actually deserve what you're earning right now, so you must logically change something to get better results. An open mind will help with this.

Your body is excited. It knows the stakes are high and it's time to perform. This is a good thing. Lean into the adrenaline and notice how determined and focused you feel. When life is easy, real men miss this feeling that you have right now. It is an asset. Other people are fat, stupid, lazy and comfortable. They are okay with the status quo and will stay the same. You are going to make changes because you have to. What a powerful and amazing thing. This circumstance is a blessing to you. It will push you into making drastic changes and being 100% focused.

Or you can choose to see it like the average person sees it. Poor me. It's unfair. I'm sad. Things are hard. They're quitters and their life is a punishment for their mentality.

If you choose to see it like a determined man would see it, you will come out on top. You will be thankful for the great lessons, and others will look to you and be inspired by your determination and resourcefulness. And in a few years, you will have a powerful story about how you were on the brink of losing the roof over your head with a family, and you dug down deep and turned it around and built something amazing.

Robdavis

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
166%
Nov 16, 2022
United Kingdom
I’m seeing that here in AZ, most homes have sun shades over the exterior windows and no one cares about their windows being clean bc you can’t even see them from the outside. Looking from the inside, you can’t tell if the windows are filthy, because, well, the sun shade distorts the view.

I admit that I've never been to Arizona (or the USA), but I'm thinking, if their windows get dirty but the owners can't see it because they have sun shades, do their car windows have sun shades? (I bet they don't) 'Cos I'm guessing that the average Arizona car looks "dusty". If so, can you offer car cleaning instead of house window cleaning? Or just offer both and see what the market is like for both?

Alternatively, can you not offer something with sun shades? (if they are popular) Cleaning / installation / replacement. If they are fabric sun shades I bet that they age quickly in the sun and that there is a chemical that you can buy and apply to them to make them last longer. If so, can you sell this chemical treatment as a service rather than as a product?

There must be some opportunities, somewhere in Arizona, surely?

Jrjohnny

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
May 18, 2023
Holy shit man.

I cannot even imagine what I would be like in your position.

You are a determined man, and that’s a trait of entrepreneurs.

So you said you go d2d for window cleaning?

Im pretty sure most people in AZ have sunshades, so they can’t see the dirtiness.

You can do what @Robdavis said with the chemicals n shit.

But I think you should go with the cars.

I don’t know if stuff gets dirty up and AZ, but something I learnt is that even just cleaning the rims and windows of a car adds like 2 points to looking well kept.

So you can do something like that,

offer to clean the rims and windows for like, I don’t know, 50 bucks and it only takes 15-20 minutes,

or you can charge them for a whole exterior car wash and include everything for like 100.

Then you can do a full interior and exterior cleaning for like 175-200.

But once again, holy shit.

You’ve been through some shit, if not all the shit.

You probably eat a daily dose of determination for breakfast..

Anyways, just some food for thought.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
It’s been a minute since I’ve posted. I introduced myself a few months back after losing my job and wanting to start my own journey.

Well, unfortunately for me, life has a real sick sense of humor sometimes…

My mother ended up unexpectedly passing away shortly after I made that introductory post, and it really sent me into a deep depression. Like, big time…

I was a mess for months, and spent the last of what I had in savings for end of life services.

That left me:
Jobless
Mother-less (no real contact with the rest of my family)
Flat broke (literally like $150 in my checking account living off food stamps)
And depressed.

I lost sight of everything.

I knew financially I was screwed, and threw everything “hustle” related out the window as I started applying for job after job after job in a drudging haze where I felt empty and scared. Panicking because I knew I needed income, like, yesterday. Depressed because I felt so alone with no one to talk to. The weight of my burdens literally felt like I was being crushed each day. I started experiencing sever anxiety attacks where suddenly intrusive thoughts would bombard my head, my heart would start palpitating, I’d would start sweating and feeling panicked.

360 job applications and 4 months later, I managed to snag two pre-screening interviews, only one of which ended up being an offer. I accepted (desperately) an offer as an outside sales rep selling roofs and doing roof inspections, only to find out the owner lied to me and it’s not a salary + commission sales position like he said it was, but instead a 1099 commission only sales job where I am given no leads and have to fend for myself.

I was pissed, but I sucked it up (no time to cry about shit anymore) and have been balls to the wall knocking doors, hanging door hangers, passing out flyers, and advertising wherever I can that’s free (Reddit, Twitter, Facebook communities, etc). I can’t afford paid ads and I can barely afford gas to drive around neighborhoods. Local Facebook groups keep removing my posts and/or people keep flagging them as “inappropriate” or “spam” (probably competitors).

So far I’ve gotten exactly zero appointments booked. With no rain storms this year, plus the economy where it is, no one is wanting to spend $12k-$15k out of pocket to replace their roof.

While doing this, I’m also applying for other jobs (up to 58 applications this month so far and 40 have declined me), AND offering to clean peoples windows.

While out doing door to door, if I see a home that looks like a decent shot, I offer my window cleaning services. So far, it’s been 3 “maybe in a month” or “I’ll think about it” out of 100+ doors knocked and window cleaning offered as a service. I’ve been into a handful of businesses as well, but they have all been no’s (me not being insured is a problem). The real money is in residential anyways. It’s a race to the bottom with a lot of these store fronts. $20 per job is better than nothing, but I’m looking for leverage here since time is my enemy.

So what now?

Well, I have about a week before rent is due.

My wife can’t stop crying. She’s been right by my side through this all, bless her soul.

I wake up every morning and look my 3 children in the eye and know there’s no choice but to fight.

It’s a race to see how fast I can add value to someone else’s life and get them to transfer me money!

There was no real point to this thread other than to get some thoughts out and vent a little. I don’t have any friends who really care to listen, so having a cool community online is the next best thing I guess
If i am in your situation I will offer cleaning service as a form of begging and share the house owners my plight.

Asking them for cash as a form of help where I offer my labor.

This form of “begging” is pretty common in my country where elderly or blind sell slightly overpriced cleaning pad or play music in train stations and ask for donations

You need cash fast. Anything legal.

BizBrain

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
229%
Apr 1, 2023
Edit:

there has to be someone in your network who can both loan you a few grand and help you get a paying job. Who’s that person? Who do you know? Who can help you before you help them?
My father in law will bail us out on rent for the month. He won’t let us go homeless, but he damn sure will hold it over my head for the rest of my life. It’s a small price to pay, plus in all honestly I do respect him a lot, but I don’t care what he thinks of me.

As far as connections go, sure, I have a handful of great ones! I’ve hit them all up and not one had been able to help me get in somewhere. The current business landscape here (locally) is extremely competitive after layoffs, and most companies did mass layoffs around the same time that mine did, so we’re all competing for work. Budgets have been tightened and there’s no openings where my connections are at. They say they have checked with their other connections (not sure if that’s entirely true or not) and it’s the same response every time.

I check up with them every 1-2 months just to keep tabs and stay relevant, but so far it’s been a dud.

I was staying patient and persistent, just playing the numbers game, but once my mom passed, I lost the ability to just sit tight. It really put me at zero like overnight. That’s when I was like ok, I have to do something right now, that I can control, and that can yield a return without a big investment of time or capital.

Im now learning what the term “bootstrapped” means haha.

BizBrain

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
229%
Apr 1, 2023
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EubqpuVY3cw

1. go knock on doors all day like 200 a day.
2. watch this guy on how to sell
3. don't take no for an answer unless they've declined like 4 times.
4. ignore no soliciting signs.
5. expect to make $500 a day. Demand it from yourself.
6. Put in the numbers. Put in the work. Be a pro.
7. constant iteration and adjustments. Keep your eyes, ears and mind open to how to be better.

Everything is logical. There's a reason you're failing. There's a change to make. You actually deserve what you're earning right now, so you must logically change something to get better results. An open mind will help with this.

Your body is excited. It knows the stakes are high and it's time to perform. This is a good thing. Lean into the adrenaline and notice how determined and focused you feel. When life is easy, real men miss this feeling that you have right now. It is an asset. Other people are fat, stupid, lazy and comfortable. They are okay with the status quo and will stay the same. You are going to make changes because you have to. What a powerful and amazing thing. This circumstance is a blessing to you. It will push you into making drastic changes and being 100% focused.

Or you can choose to see it like the average person sees it. Poor me. It's unfair. I'm sad. Things are hard. They're quitters and their life is a punishment for their mentality.

If you choose to see it like a determined man would see it, you will come out on top. You will be thankful for the great lessons, and others will look to you and be inspired by your determination and resourcefulness. And in a few years, you will have a powerful story about how you were on the brink of losing the roof over your head with a family, and you dug down deep and turned it around and built something amazing.
Funny you mentioned this- this is actually where I got the idea of going D2D with the window cleaning.

I do things a little different than him and his brother (I’m not as abrasive in some aspects of the pitch), but for the most part I’m not leaving the door until they’ve said no 3-4x.

I agree with your entire response 100%. I carry the same mindset. Everyone around me thinks I’m way to critical of myself, but I take full responsibility for anything and everything that I am involved with. I also embrace the challenge of struggle. I never cry about my situation, and only care about how I can use the negative emotions inside for motivation to be better.

I’m 150% not your average person (probably why I’m in this position to begin with to be honest). I can’t stand to be around people who are complacent and lazy. It drives me insane.

Honestly, I’d rather struggle than live a life where I never tried. I also follow the cheesy cliche of wanting my kids to know that you can do anything you put your mind to. Hopefully they are smarter than me and avoid the dumb mistakes I’ve made, but overall I want them to know there’s a life outside of debt and corporate enslavement.

I appreciate the motivation and I will internalize this today and see what I can make out of it!

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Oct 7, 2019