The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The fields are ripe for harvest, but few wish to participate

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

BrandonS85

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
378%
Sep 8, 2015
Ohio USA
Last night I again attended a local real estate (and business) investor meeting. One of the best choices I've made in the past year has been to seek out and attend such a group.

The costs are low, it's a very minimal time commitment (one night a month) but the learning experience has been nothing short of amazing, as you get to sit in a room of business owners, most of whom are quite wealthy and hear them talk about what works for them, what does not, and their goals plans.

What's absolutely mind blowing to me, as would be to you is that at the meetings I attend, I am the youngest individual there at 29.

The next youngest person is I believe 33, then the next youngest in their 40s, the next youngest in their 50s, then the rest of the individuals (Several dozen) are in their 60s and 70s.

Some of these people own literally hundreds of pieces of real estate along with dozens of businesses. The one thing in common I find is that most want to downsize or get out of business due to their age. It isn't due to the lack of profit of the business, in one case a guy told me how hard it is "To part with all the money trees I've planted over the past 30 years" but still, he's asked me more than once how many of his properties and businesses I would like to buy.

The thing is, for these kinds of businesses, and real estate, there just isn't significant demand. I posted another thread about how I bought a duplex for $9,000. For many it would seem impossible to buy an asset for under $10,000 that would produce roughly $700 per month in passive income, and I admit this is a rare chance, but finding great sources of income isn't really all that difficult.

You do have to have two things - The desire to participate in business, especially areas where the majority of people think it's 'too much work', and to be in a position where you're able to seize the opportunity to buy.

It's not easy, but you're not on a forum like this because it's easy. You're here because you're willing (hopefully) to do whatever it takes to get out of the rat race and stop participating in the pack mentality of minimal performance.

So, I encourage you, work harder, work smarter, and get to the place you can be the recipient of someone else's generational wealth. Their kids likely do not have the capacity to handle it, and if they attempt most will go broke because they haven't invested into the mindset of ownership.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited by a moderator:

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Last night I again attended a local real estate (and business) investor meeting. One of the best choices I've made in the past year has been to seek out and attend such a group.

The costs are low, it's a very minimal time commitment (one night a month) but the learning experience has been nothing short of amazing, as you get to sit in a room of business owners, most of whom are quite wealthy and hear them talk about what works for them, what does not, and their goals plans.

What's absolutely mind blowing to me, as would be to you is that at the meetings I attend, I am the youngest individual there at 29.

The next youngest person is I believe 33, then the next youngest in their 40s, the next youngest in their 50s, then the rest of the individuals (Several dozen) are in their 60s and 70s.

Some of these people own literally hundreds of pieces of real estate along with dozens of businesses. The one thing in common I find is that most want to downsize or get out of business due to their age. It isn't due to the lack of profit of the business, in one case a guy told me how hard it is "To part with all the money trees I've planted over the past 30 years" but still, he's asked me more than once how many of his properties and businesses I would like to buy.

The thing is, for these kinds of businesses, and real estate, there just isn't significant demand. I posted another thread about how I bought a duplex for $9,000. For many it would seem impossible to buy an asset for under $10,000 that would produce roughly $700 per month in passive income, and I admit this is a rare chance, but finding great sources of income isn't really all that difficult.

You do have to have two things - The desire to participate in business, especially areas where the majority of people think it's 'too much work', and to be in a position where you're able to seize the opportunity to buy.

It's not easy, but you're not on a forum like this because it's easy. You're here because you're willing (hopefully) to do whatever it takes to get out of the rat race and stop participating in the pack mentality of minimal performance.

So, I encourage you, work harder, work smarter, and get to the place you can be the recipient of someone else's generational wealth. Their kids likely do not have the capacity to handle it, and if they attempt most will go broke because they haven't invested into the mindset of ownership.

Brilliant post.

Weaponize

Workin on it!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Nov 15, 2014

Absolutely wonderful. Thanks for sharing this.

The one thing in common I find is that most want to downsize or get out of business due to their age. It isn't due to the lack of profit of the business, in one case a guy told me how hard it is "To part with all the money trees I've planted over the past 30 years"

Fascinating.

BrandonS85

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
378%
Sep 8, 2015
Ohio USA
How did you find the group?
I am part of a private Skype business chat. Several of the members there have highly recommended to me to join this place since there are many like-minded individuals. I have been looking for a business and entrepreneur forum for a while the one I have been participating in for about 7 years is starting to go downhill in terms of chat volume. This one seems quite lively and I really like that, I am pretty sure I have another account on this forum from 5 or maybe more years ago but I never used it. Now I feel it is time to get involved and to help people out as well as learn, you can never learn enough and it is very valuable to learn from other individuals regardless of their skill level or place in life.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
people think it's 'too much work'

And therein lies the opportunity. Low hanging fruit is fought over by the crowds.

Awesome post, great to have another guy on board here who is out in the trenches getting shit done.

CPisHere

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Sep 17, 2011
Louisiana
I am part of a private Skype business chat. Several of the members there have highly recommended to me to join this place since there are many like-minded individuals. I have been looking for a business and entrepreneur forum for a while the one I have been participating in for about 7 years is starting to go downhill in terms of chat volume. This one seems quite lively and I really like that, I am pretty sure I have another account on this forum from 5 or maybe more years ago but I never used it. Now I feel it is time to get involved and to help people out as well as learn, you can never learn enough and it is very valuable to learn from other individuals regardless of their skill level or place in life.
So this is an online group, not local?

BrandonS85

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
378%
Sep 8, 2015
Ohio USA
So this is an online group, not local?
The skype business chat encouraged me to participate on THIS forum.

The meeting I attended is physical and has about two dozen or more businesses participating. I was encouraged by people on biggerpockets as well as a few real estate agents to attend.

Last edited:

MKHB

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
151%
Jun 26, 2015

You have no idea how prophetic your words are....

I have been working as a real estate advisor, since my departure from corporate America, and one of my clients (Wealth Manager for a Family Offices) tells me that their biggest legacy problem (who to leave their stuff to) is that a majority of the billions of dollars of non-institutionally owned real estate managed by his firm (big wall street brokerage) is owned by aging baby boomers that have millennial children who want nothing to do with managing real estate, it's too much trouble.

Bear in mind, we are not talking the work involved in accumulating or making payments on said millions of dollars in real estate, we are just talking too much trouble if they receive it, for free!. They don't want it, they want the cash. Well if you liquidate real estate in most states the capital gain burden is close to 30%, and these old school clients would rather drop dead than pay 30% in taxes.

So instead of helping clients map out their strategic real estate plans, most of my time is meeting with family boards and pitching millennials on the value of being given free, unencumbered real estate...

The shxx you see on TV with the Kardashian, Paris Hilton, The Beverly Hills Rich kids, sadly this is more prevalent in affluent families that you think.

ace81385

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
83%
May 6, 2015
Just to clarify you found the business networking group through your Skype group?

I've been looking into buying businesses but haven't had much luck sourcing leads through business brokers, would much prefer finding through personal introductions.

BrandonS85

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
378%
Sep 8, 2015
Ohio USA
The Skype group recommended that I join fastlane to share my stories/experience and to network and learn from the well established people here. I am part of another forum that has had many active businessowners/CEOs , however traffic there is declining and many have left while this forum seems to be getting stronger.

I was encouraged many times to join my local REIA (Real estate investor's association) due to the personal, local networking opportunities. It took me till this year to join and it has been very, very eye opening. Not that I didn't realize before that many older people were selling real estate (That's a part of the reason I got into RE back in 2006, because it was very apparent that everyone involved was aging and no one was around to take it over). The local REIA is centered around real estate, but most of the people there are involved in other facets, one guy owns 100+ properties as well as a motor cycle manufacturing company, parts sourcing, restoration, another guy owns a contracting firm , plumbing supply company, another guy is a broker, owns many rentals, a strip mall, several retail outlets and commercial spaces. Everyone there talks much, much more than one would expect about the struggles and finances. Every time I've gone there I've had a chance to consider a very profitable deal from a member who wants to downsize/sell.

From what I can tell, and there's data to support this, that in an area of 10,000 homes and 25,000 people there are 3, maybe 4 people actively buying real estate as an investment that is non-commercial. There are a dozen or two commercial buyers, but I can't say they're local, nor will they consider small scale residential.

BrandonS85

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
378%
Sep 8, 2015
Ohio USA
Also, another story about Real Estate and generational wealth....

One older lady was commenting on appreciation in real estate. We are by no means in a booming area, our average house price is right around $120,000 or so. She made the statement "Back in 1935, my dad bought a property on XX street, you all know where it is. He paid $2,000 for it back then, and when he died in the 1960s I inherited the property. We had the property appraised last week at $140,000 and none of the money to upgrade and improve the property came from our pockets, it has been a rental".

Now, this property I believe will be sold as a part of her estate at some point, at least that's what she indicated during the business meeting.

A property she has no money in, and has been a money maker since 1935 has brought a return 70 times of the original investment.

Not every property will be as profitable, or amazing as this one is, but I hear stories like this all the time when people make financial sacrifices in investments like this. As a real estate sales agent, it always blew my mind that people could show up with $200,000 or $300,000 in cash to buy another piece of property. Yet that's how a great deal of the investment property I've encountered has been sold.

MattCour

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Aug 17, 2012
NY
Great post! It's very simple to find local real estate investor groups. Google your area plus real estate investor association (REIA). They're usually inexpensive to join and attend.

WestCoast

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
313%
Jan 20, 2008
Rhode Island for now.
Nice post man.

I tell people this all the time, there is opportunity EVERYWHERE.
Kinda makes my head spin, hardest part is staying focused on one thing and doing it well.

Well done, keep learning!

MKHB

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
151%
Jun 26, 2015
Nice post man.

I tell people this all the time, there is opportunity EVERYWHERE.
Kinda makes my head spin, hardest part is staying focused on one thing and doing it well.

Well done, keep learning!

Great thought, I would add one thing to that however, if it is real estate, that one thing has to be the right thing. This is a little break from the action first orientated philosophy on this forum. Unwinding a few poorly timed "good buys" could spell disaster, it is much easier to cut your losses if your are free lancing or copy writing, or coding.

Let's not forget gas used to be $4.00 a gallon and Goldman is calling for $1.25 a gallon gas by Xmas, this is due to lack of demand and abundance of supply. Who would of ever guessed that 2 years ago. The same effect could happen to housing if conditions change and no amount of buying right or local neighborhood demand will be able to overcome negative macro economics.

There are a whole lot of real estate folks selling re strategy and wisdom, I don't know if those are the same folks who went broke in 08 or if this is a new crop, anyway the message seems to be the same: For $199 I will show you how control a lot of low priced real estate.

However, If rates go back to anywhere near historical levels, these new investors will go broke. If you can get a municipal bond for 7%, no one is going to want a SFR in middle America that returns 9%. Bonds have no tax payments and require no maintenance.

Ask most of the folks who got into the real estate post financial crisis, and they will tell you they are investors-they are confusing investing with speculating.

That's not a money tree, that's a fxxxing thorn bush!

BrandonS85

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
378%
Sep 8, 2015
Ohio USA
Great thought, I would add one thing to that however, if it is real estate, that one thing has to be the right thing. This is a little break from the action first orientated philosophy on this forum. Unwinding a few poorly timed "good buys" could spell disaster, it is much easier to cut your losses if your are free lancing or copy writing, or coding.

Let's not forget gas used to be $4.00 a gallon and Goldman is calling for $1.25 a gallon gas by Xmas, this is due to lack of demand and abundance of supply. Who would of ever guessed that 2 years ago. The same effect could happen to housing if conditions change and no amount of buying right or local neighborhood demand will be able to overcome negative macro economics.

There are a whole lot of real estate folks selling re strategy and wisdom, I don't know if those are the same folks who went broke in 08 or if this is a new crop, anyway the message seems to be the same: For $199 I will show you how control a lot of low priced real estate.

However, If rates go back to anywhere near historical levels, these new investors will go broke. If you can get a municipal bond for 7%, no one is going to want a SFR in middle America that returns 9%. Bonds have no tax payments and require no maintenance.

Ask most of the folks who got into the real estate post financial crisis, and they will tell you they are investors-they are confusing investing with speculating.

That's not a money tree, that's a fxxxing thorn bush!

I was a agent during the market breakdown. I'm not aware of any landlords that went bankrupt in the 06-10 phase that had more than 2-3 properties. The investors I do know that went bankrupt were all speculating on mid and high end real estate, having significant sums of cash tied up on rehabs.

It would be stupid to say you know the future, however I do know this regarding rental real estate in the US.

Rentals were profitable during the depression
Rentals were profitable during the baby boom of the 1940s-50s
Rentals were profitable during the oil crisis
Rentals were profitable during and after the real estate bubble.

The only shift I've seen is when it comes to high end/low end. I had alot of former owner occupants who had subprime mortgages look to downsize to affordable rentals in 08-09, putting enough pressure on the market that rents went up quite well. As it stands now I can decrease my rents by a pretty significant amount and still be profitable.

MKHB

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
151%
Jun 26, 2015
it would be stupid to say you know the future, however I do know this regarding rental real estate in the US
I think it would be stupid to think the feds fund rate remains at 0.8 for much longer, that is not predicting the future that is reality money supply.

Rentals were profitable during and after the real estate bubble.
Huh....profitable after they were bought as OREO at pennies on the dollar from the trustee.

In addition they struggled :
in the high interest rate environment of the 80s
After the 1986 tax reform act
And after the Savings and Loan crisis of 89-92

BrandonS85

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
378%
Sep 8, 2015
Ohio USA
I think it would be stupid to think the feds fund rate remains at 0.8 for much longer, that is not predicting the future that is reality money supply.

Huh....profitable after they were bought as OREO at pennies on the dollar from the trustee.

In addition they struggled :
in the high interest rate environment of the 80s
After the 1986 tax reform act
And after the Savings and Loan crisis of 89-92

All the landlords ive talked to did just fine through the s&l crisis. Commercial real estate performed poorly of course after the 1986 tax act, but we are talking residential rentals here.

All the rentals I bought at the height of the market bubble did just fine during the crash, the equity was nearly wiped out but for instance a house I bought april 2007 has made a minimum noi of $250/month. And in that case I used a no doc alt-a loan. I am not saying you can be stupid when you buy. If you buy good cashflowing deals youll be fine. Remember the s&l crisis was firm driven due to tax avoidance using short term depreciation. The properties at the rates they were buying made no sense in return on income, only tax benefit and appreciation.

bobgmason

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Sep 10, 2015
You have no idea how prophetic your words are....

I have been working as a real estate advisor, since my departure from corporate America, and one of my clients (Wealth Manager for a Family Offices) tells me that their biggest legacy problem (who to leave their stuff to) is that a majority of the billions of dollars of non-institutionally owned real estate managed by his firm (big wall street brokerage) is owned by aging baby boomers that have millennial children who want nothing to do with managing real estate, it's too much trouble.

Bear in mind, we are not talking the work involved in accumulating or making payments on said millions of dollars in real estate, we are just talking too much trouble if they receive it, for free!. They don't want it, they want the cash. Well if you liquidate real estate in most states the capital gain burden is close to 30%, and these old school clients would rather drop dead than pay 30% in taxes.

So instead of helping clients map out their strategic real estate plans, most of my time is meeting with family boards and pitching millennials on the value of being given free, unencumbered real estate...

The shxx you see on TV with the Kardashian, Paris Hilton, The Beverly Hills Rich kids, sadly this is more prevalent in affluent families that you think.
Love this post!

How would you recommend finding these individuals who are looking to unload their real estate?

Thanks,
Bob

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

MKHB

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
151%
Jun 26, 2015
Love this post!

How would you recommend finding these individuals who are looking to unload their real estate?

Thanks,
Bob

You will find these individuals through influencers: CPAs, attorneys, brokers, CFA's planners.
Get a list all the major players in your area and reach out to them.

MK

MKHB

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
151%
Jun 26, 2015
All the landlords ive talked to did just fine through the s&l crisis. Commercial real estate performed poorly of course after the 1986 tax act, but we are talking residential rentals here.

All the rentals I bought at the height of the market bubble did just fine during the crash, the equity was nearly wiped out but for instance a house I bought april 2007 has made a minimum noi of $250/month. And in that case I used a no doc alt-a loan. I am not saying you can be stupid when you buy. If you buy good cashflowing deals youll be fine. Remember the s&l crisis was firm driven due to tax avoidance using short term depreciation. The properties at the rates they were buying made no sense in return on income, only tax benefit and appreciation.

Ok

BrandonS85

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
378%
Sep 8, 2015
Ohio USA
Love this post!

Thanks,
Bob

Make friends.

I have many people asking me to look at deals outside of the REIA. Learn to work with business owners, financial planners, attorneys, anyone that would be in contact with people who may own real estate, property or run businesses. If they know that you're out and about buying property, the properties will come, I have way, way more opportunities than I can handle.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.